{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Andy Cook signs

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Andy Cook signs

Postby No Breaks Allowed » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:39 pm

Marky Mark wrote:The only 2 out of the Top 25 scorers in League 2 (who are strikers) and who are out of contract are:

Nicky Maynard - 3rd top scorer. Out of contract but a one-year extension option, doesn't say whether the club or him though.
Chuks Aneke - 5th top scorer. Out of contract in June 2019, offered new contract by MK

Listening to Dempster interview, Maynard fits what he’s saying. Out of contact and might not command a fee given that Bury aren’t paying players so contact is void. Be very happy with Cook and Maynard front two!
No Breaks Allowed
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby BigGuy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:43 pm

Johnny H wrote:Dembele from Perterboro would be a good signing....

Dembele from Barcelona would be better
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:44 pm

Johnny H wrote:Dembele from Perterboro would be a good signing....

No chance.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Paulstag » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:00 pm

If Dembele or Maynard sign I will show my butt in Woolworths window.
Paulstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby jpstags » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:10 pm

Paulstag wrote:If Dembele or Maynard sign I will show my butt in Woolworths window.

You might well have to get some clean pants ready .
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:19 pm

jpstags wrote:
Paulstag wrote:If Dembele or Maynard sign I will show my butt in Woolworths window.

You might well have to get some clean pants ready .

D
Be harder to find a window still owned by Woolworths :D
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:19 am

I wonder how much influence Lee Glover had on this signing.
He's got a very good eye for talent and improving them.
Let's hope he can persuade Walker to return.

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:50 am

Andy Cook looks a decent signing to me. We need a big target man and he's always scored goals. Tranmere fans seem to love him and were hoping he was going to sign for them again. He's mainly scored goals in the National League but 13 goals last season in a struggling Walsall side is pretty good. Here is his league goalscoring record to date:

2018-2019 Walsall (League 1) 34(9) 13 goals
2017-2018 Tranmere (National League) 37(4) 26 goals
2016-2017 Tranmere (National League) 32(10) 23 goals
2015-2016 Barrow (National League) 45(0) 20 goals
2014-2015 Barrow (National League North) 38(0) 18 goals
2013-2014 Grimsby (National League) 9(21) 3 goals
2012-2013 Grimsby (National League) 35(8) 11 goals
2009-2012 Barrow (National League) 42(32) 19 goals
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:56 pm

What is encouraging about the signing of Andy Cook is that he has, other one season played 30 plus games each season.

Hemmings, Davies, Ajose and Rose have at one timer or another been ‘bit part’ players. Hopefully the ‘other striker’ that is purportedly to be signed will be a mobile, young, clinical striker that will complete the ‘top’ end of the pitch.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:16 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:What is encouraging about the signing of Andy Cook is that he has, other one season played 30 plus games each season.

Hemmings, Davies, Ajose and Rose have at one timer or another been ‘bit part’ players. Hopefully the ‘other striker’ that is purportedly to be signed will be a mobile, young, clinical striker that will complete the ‘top’ end of the pitch.

I’ve heard it’s appiah on loan from forest.

Not sure how true it is but they knew about Ajose and grant singing in January.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:55 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:What is encouraging about the signing of Andy Cook is that he has, other one season played 30 plus games each season.

Appiah would be an amazing signing. He's only played a handful of games for Forest, but he's rated so highly that this year they gave him a four and a half year contract extension. He's played for England at U16, U17, U18 and U19 level too.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:40 pm

ParisStag wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:

Appiah would be an amazing signing. He's only played a handful of games for Forest, but he's rated so highly that this year they gave him a four and a half year contract extension. He's played for England at U16, U17, U18 and U19 level too.

I've known Arvin for a couple of years. Absolutely lovely lad and a cracking player. I'd be amazed if Forest loaned him out as when he played for the first team towards the end of the season he was one of the better players. Forest fans would go mad. However I'd love it if we signed him. More chance of it being Virgil Gomis though.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:43 pm

gazza1988 wrote:What we need to realise is we had a promotion capable side last season. Injuries to key players and not having backup is what killed us. We lost Olejnik but Logan has proved a very capable backup. White got injured and we had nobody to play RWB, except for CJ but we had a mini injury crisis up front too so he was up there. That is what messed us up. Get in that backup and players to switch formations and we will be up there again.

We had a rwb who was getting £3,750 a week who was completely outcast by a manager who has got form for doing that when he falls out with a player. Yet another costly decision as to why we're playing League Two next season. I know Paul Anderson wasn't Gary Neville but at least he knew that position & we might've got the point(s) needed to go up had we played him instead of putting square pegs in the round hole & using CJ, Macca etc
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:54 pm

Not defending flitcroft but wasn’t the fall out due to Anderson refusing to be classed as a RWB rather than a winger?
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby Dan » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:08 pm

S7AGS wrote:Not defending flitcroft but wasn’t the fall out due to Anderson refusing to be classed as a RWB rather than a winger?

Doesn't really matter. If Anderson had refused to play (eg gone on strike) then you can bet your bottom dollar that DF would've been shouting it from the rooftops. He banishes you if you fall out, even if it's to the detriment of the team (which it proved to be for us). He's got form for it over the years. He did it to Bobby Hassell at Barnsley.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:21 pm

Anderson was sheeeite when he played anyway :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:36 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Anderson was sheeeite when he played anyway :lol:

Anderson got a lot worse in people's memories once DF froze him out. He really wasn't a bad player.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:37 pm

Sneag wrote:

Anderson got a lot worse in people's memories once DF froze him out. He really wasn't a bad player.

He wasn't a good one either, certainly not 4k a weeks worth.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:40 pm

Sneag wrote:

Maybe my expectations were too high as he'd played at a higher level most/all of his career but I didn't think he was that good , steady but I can't remember him doing anything that special. His wage definitely didn't help as he was not worth 3,750 or 4k or whatever a week
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:17 pm

Has he got a new club yet?
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:37 am

Sneag wrote:

He was hardly an ever present even for the manager who initially signed him.

Fifteen league starts plus nine sub appearances and a solitary league goal, in the two seasons he was with us.

No league starts for Plymouth just appearances from the bench.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:00 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Sneag wrote:

He was hardly an ever present even for the manager who initially signed him.

Fifteen league starts plus nine sub appearances and a solitary league goal, in the two seasons he was with us.

No league starts for Plymouth just appearances from the bench.

He had basically 3/4 of a season for us before Flitcroft sacked him off. In the time he played he was a steady player, not outstanding but certainly not the liability people want to paint him. We needed cover at RWB and fit and motivated he'd have provided that.

If you've never worked for a gaffer that hates you, you have absolutely no idea how demoralising that is. TBH FD's inability to sit down and thrashout differences with players he clashed with on arrival was one of the reasons I didn't rate him as a manager.

When managing adults surely explaining your ethos is more effective than 'it's my way because I say so & if you don't like it you're sacked'.

Purely supposition on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me if wasted resources were as much as reason for FDs sacking as his tendency to raspberry up promotion run ins.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:17 am

How many games has Anderson actually played at RWB? Not very many I imagine. Jones was poor, but i’m not sure Anderson would have been any better in that role. Essentially, his legs were gone, there’s no way he’d have been able to get up and down that line all game covering a whole side in my opinion. In the games he played he was OK, never sparkling, never awful, and fairly consistent with that but watching him I don’t think wing back would have suited him. He struggled with the recovery runs playing either RB or RW, and that would have hurt us if he was at wing back.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Sneag wrote:

Maybe so Sneagy, but likewise he definitely wasn't the player he was touted as when he signed. I think his mantra was '£1 a step' each game :P
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:23 pm

Carlton Ridenhour... Now if you could make a centre forward formed from the enthusiasm & skill he has in what he does you'd have some player.
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum