{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

womens football

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: womens football

Postby spanishstag » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:49 am

How do you know it was a he ,could have been a rebecca vardy type of woman
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:39 pm

Does anyone else recall the half time event at One Call about 3 or 4 games before the end of the season where a few of the U13 girls were offered the chance to show their skills and take penalties.

As I said earlier in this thread I will not watch womens football, cricket or rugby but defend their right to play and enjoy to the best of their ability....

So what did we do to highlight these enthusiastic young women......did we put out a decent goalkeeper from our academy to test them and have some fanfare around it....no we gave them lightweight foam type balls, and put Sammy & Sally Stag in goal for them to take penalties against. What a brilliant opportunity lost to showcase the talents of these young players.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:44 pm

Big yella wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
HitchcocksShins wrote:
At the end of the day, unless you take a large sample of male and female children and give them exactly the same training and opportunities to progress it will be pure speculation as to which sex is better suited to the game.

I have to disagree mate. Take athletics, Jess Ennis has had all the advantages that men and modern training and equipment can bring, yet she still ran slower, threw less distance and jumped less distance and height than Daley Thompson did 40 years previously.

Poor example Craig as that is an individual and football is a team game. Additionally it's not about individual disciplines but how you use those disciplines in a combined manner to achieve an objective.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:50 pm

Big yella wrote:
HitchcocksShins wrote:
At the end of the day, unless you take a large sample of male and female children and give them exactly the same training and opportunities to progress it will be pure speculation as to which sex is better suited to the game.

I have to disagree mate. Take athletics, Jess Ennis has had all the advantages that men and modern training and equipment can bring, yet she still ran slower, threw less distance and jumped less distance and height than Daley Thompson did 40 years previously.

Poor example Craig as that is an individual and football is a team game. Additionally it's not about individual disciplines but how you use those disciplines in a combined manner to achieve an objective.

Someone once told me Paula Radcliffe in 2003 ran the London Marathon in a world leading time for women (never been bettered since) and the leading British male in that race ran slower? Not sure if this is a myth or not?
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:55 pm

ST4GS wrote:
Big yella wrote:
HitchcocksShins wrote:

Someone once told me Paula Radcliffe in 2003 ran the London Marathon in a world leading time for women (never been bettered since) and the leading British male in that race ran slower? Not sure if this is a myth or not?

Great effort if true considering she stopped halfway round to do her business!
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby RudyDude » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:11 pm

In the early 70s, my wife used to organise and play in a women's team that played supposed 'friendly' charity matches against men's teams to raise funds for a local cancer charity and a local hospice. The rules and refereeing were always rigged to enable the women to win and they always played like animals to the delight of the hordes of baying, laughing females who came to watch. A lot of blokes refused to play against them rather than suffer the inevitable humiliation and possible injury.

She also ran a charity mixed hockey team which I played in as well and the women were equally vicious in that but we had to pack that in after her response to some terrible sexism against her. She was playing in goal and a bloke asked her if she would like him to rub his stick on her breasts so she hit him over the head and kicked him in the nuts as he laid on the floor. We were playing at Rampton Hospital. The game was abandoned.

She sadly died 30 years later in the hospice for which she raised so much money.

:mtfc:
BLACK LIVES MATTER so I applaud players 'taking a knee'
RudyDude
First Team
First Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:24 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Women are more than welcome to post on here as long as the tea is cooked and the ironing up to date.

Would love join in on this debate but due to some of my more peculiar ‘traits’, almost on a par with those of Professor Peach in the Italian Job, I think I had best keep quiet! :lol:
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:59 pm

scotsstag wrote:Bloody annoying that about every game from this womens football is on the telly BUT we're hosting the Cricket World Cup in this country plus have a damn good chance of actually winning it and all we get is a few highlights late on CH5. :(
Be the same when Wimbledon tennis starts, can't switch the telly on for fear of seeing it.
Rant over. :lol:

Thing is though mate is that football & tennis are proper sports whereas cricket isn't... ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:38 pm

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:48 pm

The ONLY time I ever see the gender pay debate in football is when a gammon face says "fgs and they even want equal pay!!!!" or ",they keep on about equality but nobody watches it "

People seem to try and make an issue out of absolutely everything. Probably the same people that "read on facebook that you have to say happy holidays because it's racist otherwise".

I've seen more women and girls interested in watching the womnens game than they do the mens. I've friends daughters get into the game more.

But, because it's women and because it's not the best quality than everyone is kicking up a fuss. Who cares, just enjoy it or don't watch it.
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:07 pm

Dan wrote:
scotsstag wrote:Bloody annoying that about every game from this womens football is on the telly BUT we're hosting the Cricket World Cup in this country plus have a damn good chance of actually winning it and all we get is a few highlights late on CH5. :(
Be the same when Wimbledon tennis starts, can't switch the telly on for fear of seeing it.

Thing is though mate is that football & tennis are proper sports whereas cricket isn't... ;)

Gonna punch you in the face next time I see you :lol:

I love women's football and am enjoying the World Cup. Far less diving and cheating. I've reffed women's footy for about a decade now, it's getting better every year.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:02 pm

Rob wrote:
Dan wrote:

Gonna punch you in the face next time I see you :lol:

I love women's football and am enjoying the World Cup. Far less diving and cheating. I've reffed women's footy for about a decade now, it's getting better every year.

Are you an advocate of VAR Rob, another absolute fiasco tonight. In my opinion it's absolutely ruining the game?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:07 pm

That ruling for keepers moving forward on pens will get sacked off in games without VAR.

I felt sorry for the Jockesses tonight, then I remembered it was the Jocks.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:55 pm

I've watched a few women's games including top sides in England and two champions league finals (the latter held in England circa 7-8yrs ago).

The French side Lyon were/are immense and most of them (still) play for the France national side. The Germans also pretty handy (Wolfsburg and the great named Turbine Pottsdam!)

At the time the English sides were well adrift ability-wise but obviously times change and our national League(s) and side are thus improving.

It's hugely refreshing watching players not diving, remonstrating with officials and 'cheating'/gaining an advantage unlike their male counterparts.

As stated earlier in the thread the gulf though from the better sides to weaker ones is significant not just in ability but fitness levels.

I've previously posted on here about the recent BBC series following West Ham with Sullivan's son owning the side and that was interesting to see how the top league in England has been developing.

The fact that in England and our own FA not recognising or allowing women to play the game until in 'recent' years naturally puts them well behind the men's game plus attendance figures and investment/sponsorship inevitably falls well behind and nowhere near commensurate.
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:40 am

Man of the Match, Whats that about ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:46 am

The One wrote:Man of the Match, Whats that about ?

Bearing in mind the human race is referred to as 'man-kind' technically speaking is that not correct?
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby RudyDude » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:28 am

RudyDude wrote:In the early 70s, my wife used to organise and play in a women's team that played supposed 'friendly' charity matches against men's teams to raise funds for a local cancer charity and a local hospice. The rules and refereeing were always rigged to enable the women to win and they always played like animals to the delight of the hordes of baying, laughing females who came to watch. A lot of blokes refused to play against them rather than suffer the inevitable humiliation and possible injury.

She also ran a charity mixed hockey team which I played in as well and the women were equally vicious in that but we had to pack that in after her response to some terrible sexism against her. She was playing in goal and a bloke asked her if she would like him to rub his stick on her breasts so she hit him over the head and kicked him in the nuts as he laid on the floor. We were playing at Rampton Hospital. The game was abandoned.

She sadly died 30 years later in the hospice for which she raised so much money.

I deliberately withheld the significant point about the women's football team that I described above.

They wanted to play 'proper football' against other women's teams but a combination of the lack of other local women's teams, sexist attitudes to them by both the football authorities and male football teams and fans and the resulting fear of ridicule by men, meant they could not play official, authorised matches and official referees could not officiate.

Their only option was to play what they and spectators saw as 'comedy matches' but they were committed players and fans, several of whom were regulars at Stags matches, my wife, in particular.

And to listen to some people who pour scorn on them, there is still some way to go to their acceptance.
BLACK LIVES MATTER so I applaud players 'taking a knee'
RudyDude
First Team
First Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:32 am

Johnny Rotten wrote:I've watched a few women's games including top sides in England and two champions league finals (the latter held in England circa 7-8yrs ago).

The French side Lyon were/are immense and most of them (still) play for the France national side. The Germans also pretty handy (Wolfsburg and the great named Turbine Pottsdam!)

At the time the English sides were well adrift ability-wise but obviously times change and our national League(s) and side are thus improving.

It's hugely refreshing watching players not diving, remonstrating with officials and 'cheating'/gaining an advantage unlike their male counterparts.

As stated earlier in the thread the gulf though from the better sides to weaker ones is significant not just in ability but fitness levels.

I've previously posted on here about the recent BBC series following West Ham with Sullivan's son owning the side and that was interesting to see how the top league in England has been developing.

The fact that in England and our own FA not recognising or allowing women to play the game until in 'recent' years naturally puts them well behind the men's game plus attendance figures and investment/sponsorship inevitably falls well behind and nowhere near commensurate.

Mostly because they want to promote the sport in a positive light & are't overpaid primadonnas. A lot of male players should take note and try becoming 'role models', not 'rolling on the floor models' ;)

Ambassadors, not Glambassadors
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:27 am

Dan wrote:

How very dare you :lol:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:30 pm

Monkey tennis
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:00 pm

RudyDude wrote:
RudyDude wrote:In the early 70s, my wife used to organise and play in a women's team that played supposed 'friendly' charity matches against men's teams to raise funds for a local cancer charity and a local hospice. The rules and refereeing were always rigged to enable the women to win and they always played like animals to the delight of the hordes of baying, laughing females who came to watch. A lot of blokes refused to play against them rather than suffer the inevitable humiliation and possible injury.

It’s a pity women’s football wasn’t taken seriously in the 70s

I deliberately withheld the significant point about the women's football team that I described above.

They wanted to play 'proper football' against other women's teams but a combination of the lack of other local women's teams, sexist attitudes to them by both the football authorities and male football teams and fans and the resulting fear of ridicule by men, meant they could not play official, authorised matches and official referees could not officiate.

Their only option was to play what they and spectators saw as 'comedy matches' but they were committed players and fans, several of whom were regulars at Stags matches, my wife, in particular.

And to listen to some people who pour scorn on them, there is still some way to go to their acceptance.

I’m afraid you’re right Rudydude I do despair at some peoples attitudes . your wife & her team mates were brave women to carry on playing in those times. Hard to believe that women’s football was banned for 50 years by the FA ! after being so popular during & just after the war in 1921
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Old timer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:13 pm

As for VAR I would rather have crap refs
Old timer
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cerfjaune » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:14 pm

Old timer wrote:As for VAR I would rather have crap refs

That’s certainly what we’re going to get in League 2 again this season.
I don’t think we’ll ever get VAR at our level.
cerfjaune
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:54 am

cerfjaune wrote:
Old timer wrote:As for VAR I would rather have crap refs

That’s certainly what we’re going to get in League 2 again this season.
I don’t think we’ll ever get VAR at our level.

Looking at the VAR decisions again this week, thank God.

The USA second goal last neet was laughable and the wrong outcome again.
The bit I don't understand is last night the "VAR team" couldn't agree so it was left to the ref anyway. No matter what anyone says it's ruining the game.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:06 am

Well this Fred has changed since I last commented.
1 my answer was no I don’t think the men’s and women’s game will be combined.
2 well done to the national team for progressing int he tournament and raising the profile of the women’s game
3 equal pay when it becomes and equal event, as others have said commercially it’s still behind the men’s sport but good to see investment going into the game and support from the right places. I’m not sure if it will catch up but it’s improving quickly
4 VAR for me it’s taking the enjoyment out of the moment. You can’t fully celebrate a goal or penalty save as it could be overruled in a minute or so’s time.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum