{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

womens football

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: womens football

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:09 pm

Sedgwick wrote:USA, probably the best womens team... played Dallas undef 15's and lost 5-0... they will never play each other or have mixed teams, it wouldn't be fair.

I like to support them and want England to do well... but the standard is shocking, its not far off Sunday league football. Some of this World Cup has been comical.

The equal pay debate does my head in... when there are no actual women's teams... they're all just a womens team set up and funded by a mens team. Man City womens, Arsenal womens etc etc.. where are the actual womens teams? founded by women with their own stadium and set of fans? without mens football they don't exist and with attendances lower than non league why should they be paid the same?? I think they should be thankful they have the opportunity to actually play professionally at this stage but it will continue to grow.

Sedgwick I think the equal pay argument is aimed only at the FA on the back of the action the US womens national team are taking / have taken. Slight difference though given the US Womens team have dominated the game over the years and the US male team hasn't had much success.

The England mens team donate all game fees to charity and if I'm honest shouldn't be paid anyway. It should be the pinnacle of a players career representing your country - same should apply to the womens game.

As with all sports you'll get the odd one or two superior athletes who'd be able to handle their own in the male game (to what level is debatable) but this will be few and far between and not be sufficient to make it viable.

Trying to steer the argument away from the amount of money the men's game makes v the womens game as that's what it boils down too. The game is growing but will never reach the level where you will have 5k plus travelling away for a fourth tier game of football.

At least it would be equal work for equal pay, its the Tennis grand slams that make me laugh.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:12 pm

the physicality means they'll never compete on a like for like basis. if they fancy it how long would women last in like for like boxing....5 secs... 10?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:15 pm

Spiritater wrote:the physicality means they'll never compete on a like for like basis. if they fancy it how long would women last in like for like boxing....5 secs... 10?

If you want to go 12 rounds with our lass you're welcome, I'll take any odds you like she cleans you before the end of the second. :D
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:17 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:Surely, SPBS you can't think that if women had an equal infrastructure they would be toe to toe with men?

In time possibly so. Football isn't just about brute strength but balance and endurance also come into it. Women can probably turn and move quicker than men and generally have a lower centre of balance. I don't think it will ever really get to that as the infrastructure is at least 150 years behind and men have the physical advantage.

If you watch primary school football, some girls are just as good as the boys. They seem to lose the edge as they progress to secondary education probably as they aren't given the same opportunities. Of course it may be that physical prowess also changes at that point as the boys catch up and overtake the girls in strength and physique .

At the end of the day, unless you take a large sample of male and female children and give them exactly the same training and opportunities to progress it will be pure speculation as to which sex is better suited to the game.

I do think though, that equal pay should not be an issue as currently there is no comparison in entertainment levels. I certainly wouldn't pay an equal amount to watch it.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:19 pm

Im a lover not a fighter. :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:27 pm

I'd say the lost edge in secondary school is less due to opportunities and more down to PUBERTY.
Men and women's bodies are different on a fundamental level, with evolution going back thousands of years. Women have been little more than baby machines up until only about, let's say 100 years ago
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:44 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:I'd say the lost edge in secondary school is less due to opportunities and more down to PUBERTY.
Men and women's bodies are different on a fundamental level, with evolution going back thousands of years. Women have been little more than baby machines up until only about, let's say 100 years ago

Is this around the same time as the invention of the iron ?
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:51 pm

How many of you are aware that the women dont even play with the same weight ball as men fgs.....

Ive absolutely no problem with anyone playing anything but what I hate is biased propoganda trying to brainwash us into thinking its worth watching.

Telling us crowds are up without saying how little the tickets were on sale for or how many were given away free.....

not releasing viewing figures......simply not accepting the product isnt as good - and dont get me started on womens cricket
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The One » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:13 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:How many of you are aware that the women dont even play with the same weight ball as men fgs.....

Ive absolutely no problem with anyone playing anything but what I hate is biased propoganda trying to brainwash us into thinking its worth watching.

Telling us crowds are up without saying how little the tickets were on sale for or how many were given away free.....

not releasing viewing figures......simply not accepting the product isnt as good - and dont get me started on womens cricket

May i ask your view on womens cricket ? :D :D :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:37 am

The One wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:How many of you are aware that the women dont even play with the same weight ball as men fgs.....

May i ask your view on womens cricket ? :D :D :D

Bloody annoying that about every game from this womens football is on the telly BUT we're hosting the Cricket World Cup in this country plus have a damn good chance of actually winning it and all we get is a few highlights late on CH5. :(
Be the same when Wimbledon tennis starts, can't switch the telly on for fear of seeing it.
Rant over. :lol:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:38 am

Has anyone else noticed that the PC brigade have succeeded in ensuring that every tv punditry panel of three or more as to have a woman and a BEME constituent?

And whoever decided that Clinton Morrison is a worthy pundit?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:57 am

Very disappointing to read some of the ignorant sexist comments on this thread :x
I bet some don’t think women post on here either
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:01 am

Women are more than welcome to post on here as long as the tea is cooked and the ironing up to date.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:22 am

Captain Cunno wrote:Women are more than welcome to post on here as long as the tea is cooked and the ironing up to date.

Remove the ‘no’ and replace with ‘t’ and your u/n would be very fitting regarding your comment.
:lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:25 am

Amberheart wrote:Very disappointing to read some of the ignorant sexist comments on this thread :x
I bet some don’t think women post on here either

Amberheart my comment is neither ignorant or sexist. It's just the way things are. As I say on a like for like basis the physicality is against them. Technically they are clever, gifted footballers in their own right, but having a womens team in the League competing against men they'd never make it. For starters they'd have to start at the bottom and work their way through the system and they'd be muscled out time and time again (unless of course the FA introduce a absolutely no contact rule, at which time the game will die) and it'd be 'men against girls'.
We have games now that it's 'men against boys' (or a team full of George Grants) and it shows through.

If the rules of the game are changed to accommodate women then as I say the game in my opinion will die.

When will the women's Rugby players start pushing for parity? Would they ever compete in their chosen field of sport?

How many Gold or Silver or Bronze medals for that fact would women win in the next Athletics World Championships if it became multi sex events to appease the politically correct brigade?

Men are men, women are women, physical make up is not the same, unless you are Caster Semenya of course.
Last edited by Spiritater on Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:28 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:Women are more than welcome to post on here as long as the tea is cooked and the ironing up to date.

Remove the ‘no’ and replace with ‘t’ and your u/n would be very fitting regarding your comment.

Been called worse :lol:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:34 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
HitchcocksShins wrote:
At the end of the day, unless you take a large sample of male and female children and give them exactly the same training and opportunities to progress it will be pure speculation as to which sex is better suited to the game.

I have to disagree mate. Take athletics, Jess Ennis has had all the advantages that men and modern training and equipment can bring, yet she still ran slower, threw less distance and jumped less distance and height than Daley Thompson did 40 years previously.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:13 am

My point was

I think there are some fabulous women sport commentators (and some dire men), but I object to what I perceive to be PC quotas.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:23 am

Jesus this thread is a depressing read. Yes the quality is lower, it is always going to be seen as the women's game has nowhere near the level of investment or history of the men's. Men are also going to be quicker and stronger generally, so the game is different. But so what? If we all watched the game for quality, then none of us would be Mansfield fans lets be honest :lol: I would rather watch a world cup match played at a slower pace than watch rugby, biking, F1 etc.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:25 am

Big yella wrote:
HitchcocksShins wrote:

I have to disagree mate. Take athletics, Jess Ennis has had all the advantages that men and modern training and equipment can bring, yet she still ran slower, threw less distance and jumped less distance and height than Daley Thompson did 40 years previously.

I didn't say that, someone's cut the reply to make it look like I said that, fake news/ deep fake territory thing going on (I agree with you big yella, see further up thread for my view)
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:58 am

Captain Cunno wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

Been called worse :lol:

cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:12 am

Hjeldefan wrote:Jesus this thread is a depressing read. Yes the quality is lower, it is always going to be seen as the women's game has nowhere near the level of investment or history of the men's. Men are also going to be quicker and stronger generally, so the game is different. But so what? If we all watched the game for quality, then none of us would be Mansfield fans lets be honest :lol: I would rather watch a world cup match played at a slower pace than watch rugby, biking, F1 etc.

The opening question was whether we will ever see a female team playing in the football league, or women playing as part of a mans team, not whether anyone enjoyed watching it or not.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Paulstag » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:56 am

My daughter is a qualified mini soccer referee and reffed a game on Monday evening where one of the coaches was making sexist comments about women in football across to the parents on the other side of the pitch.
Paulstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:38 am

Paulstag wrote:My daughter is a qualified mini soccer referee and reffed a game on Monday evening where one of the coaches was making sexist comments about women in football across to the parents on the other side of the pitch.

What happened to him.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:48 am

HitchcocksShins wrote:
Big yella wrote:
HitchcocksShins wrote:

I didn't say that, someone's cut the reply to make it look like I said that, fake news/ deep fake territory thing going on (I agree with you big yella, see further up thread for my view)

I know. I’ve cut the wrong bit out. I was replying to SPBS. Sorry for the confusion (little phone fat fingers).
Big yella
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum