{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Gary Roberts Podcast

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Gary Roberts Podcast

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:32 pm

The worst podcast I listened to was Paul Linwood on I Had Trials Once when he was laughing and joking about his time at Grimsby when they got relegated from the football league. He said they were a team of alcoholics and the manager, Mike Newell, used to go out drinking with them.

"I signed a three-year deal at Grimsby. Mike Newell signed me – he was my old reserve team manager. It was just a team full of alcoholics – people talk about a drinking culture, but this was ridiculous. We all had a drink anyway, and Newelly used to join us – he was always with us, him and his assistant. He used to ring on a Tuesday and go “where are you?" “Nowhere gaffer, we’re just in Costa.” “I know you’re in the pub, I’m coming!” It was good under Newelly, and the Youth Team manager (Neil Woods) came in and just hated all that. But it’s the worst thing he could have done because the players just rebelled against him, and there were a lot of big characters in that dressing room he couldn’t handle."

"You’d finish training, Adam Proudlock on the Whatsapp group would say “lads, I’m just having a pint at the Laceby Arms”, and the whole squad would be in there. 15 pints, easy. It was the only pub we could get away with it. It was in a tiny little village, and we were dead inconspicuous – we used to go in our kits! Even I turned round one day and said “this has gone too far.” We’d had a Monday session – straight after training, we finished boozing about five that morning, and then we were in for training at nine the next day."

"Adam Proudlock and Peter Sweeney came to pick us up, and both were just the most unbelievable players who had just tossed it off at this point. Those two came to pick me up after a session, and we were drinking cans of Fosters on the way to training, which is out of order because I f***ing hate Fosters!"

"I drank on the way to training, but in the end I was thinking “we need to sort ourselves out here. It's not fair on fans” because there were some good people there, but none of us took to Grimsby at all. We got relegated. They had us by the balls really – we got relegated in the last game. If we’d have stayed up, my money would have gone up, and if we’d gone down my wages would’ve gone down 40 per cent, so they had everyone over a barrel just to leave without any pay-offs. A few quid and I was on my way."

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/spor ... on-2874040

The reaction by the Grimsby fans to this interview was understandably not very good.

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1557940380/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:02 pm

Tommy Miller was the guest this week. Played under Flitcroft at Bury. Said he was a nice fella but didn’t rate him as a manager.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:43 pm

Just listened to the Liam Lawrence podcast on Undr The Cosh. Enjoyed it. I never knew Neil Mackenzie broke his arm trying to do a two footed tackle on Rhys Day's snake.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:15 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Just listened to the Liam Lawrence podcast on Undr The Cosh. Enjoyed it. I never knew Meil Mackenzie broke his arm trying to do a two footed tackle on Rhys Day's snake.

I thought it was widely reported that Lawrence broke his arm in a car accident.

From Chad website

I was enjoying my football and was looking forward to the run-in, but then I broke my arm in a car crash (in the middle of February) and had to watch the run-in from the sidelines.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:34 pm

part time pete wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Just listened to the Liam Lawrence podcast on Undr The Cosh. Enjoyed it. I never knew Meil Mackenzie broke his arm trying to do a two footed tackle on Rhys Day's snake.

From Chad website

I was enjoying my football and was looking forward to the run-in, but then I broke my arm in a car crash (in the middle of February) and had to watch the run-in from the sidelines.

Lawrence did indeed break his arm in a car accident at the bottom of Bath Lane. If memory serves me well a young trainee received career ending injuries in the same accident but I can't recall his name. The speed of Lawrence's car was a major factor in the accident.

The above article says it was McKenzie who broke his arm, not Lawrence.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:48 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
part time pete wrote:

From Chad website

Lawrence did indeed break his arm in a car accident at the bottom of Bath Lane. If memory serves me well a young trainee received career ending injuries in the same accident but I can't recall his name. The speed of Lawrence's car was a major factor in the accident.

You could read the word ‘his’ in different ways.

Lawrence’s accident on Bath Lane was his second one. The arm break was in an accident at Barnby Moor.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:34 pm

I stand corrected Pete. It was a foot injury on Bath Lane not his arm. It didn't keep him from playing though so obviously not even slightly serious.

I don't think the trainee ever made it back into football though.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:14 pm

drove his 205 GTI into the front of the Ye Old Bell racing back from Donny bladdered
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:25 pm

Liam Lawrence was talking about Neil Mackenzie breaking his arm whilst tackling Rhys Day's pet snake in Rhys Day's flat/house.

The podcast starts off with a chat about his "dink" penalty against Huddersfield. Bobby Hassell tried to talk him out of it but Liam ignored him as he was convinced the keeper was going to dive (which he did). He said his run up was too long and he got too much juice on his dink.

He also mentions that not winning the play off final cost the players around £12,500 each in promotion bonuses.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:37 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
part time pete wrote:

From Chad website

It was top of Bath Lane near Shirburn Avenue, he hit a tree. I witnessed it.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:18 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Liam Lawrence was talking about Neil Mackenzie breaking his arm whilst tackling Rhys Day's pet snake in Rhys Day's flat/house.

The podcast starts off with a chat about his "dink" penalty against Huddersfield. Bobby Hassell tried to talk him out of it but Liam ignored him as he was convinced the keeper was going to dive (which he did). He said his run up was too long and he got too much juice on his dink.

He also mentions that not winning the play off final cost the players around £12,500 each in promotion bonuses.

that chip still haunts me to this day
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:17 am

Just listened to James Jennings on the 'I Had Trials Once...' podcase, with Gareth Seddon.

Both played with Dempster at Kettering, and obviously Jennings later here, and both love him. Mentioned his MC'ing, think he will do well as a manager with the man management side of things.

Jennings played with Murray at Macc, who rang him before signing for Stags to let him know he was wanted.

Said Cox was really old school and renowned for trying to sign a player then changing his mind so turning his phone off so that he could not be contacted. Fights every day in training, mentioned one between Sutton and Meikle. Praised Matt Green as single-handedly winning the eague, seemed like he enjoyed his time here.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum