{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Gary Roberts Podcast

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Gary Roberts Podcast

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:49 pm

https://youtu.be/IhWT13ZskIg

Former Stag, not the horrible stamping former Spireite crybaby.

Lots of bad language so be warned snowflake people.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Re: Gary Roberts Podcast

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:59 pm

Doesn’t speak about his time at Mansfield.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby m1cksut » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Gary Roberts?

the cop killer?
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:48 pm

stagmanrob wrote:https://youtu.be/IhWT13ZskIg

Thanks for sharing this link but attention seeking to the extreme with the unnecessary snowflake reference. Why do it?
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:49 pm

m1cksut wrote:Gary Roberts?

the cop killer?

Nope, that was Harry Roberts. I take it you weren’t at the Mill in the 1980’s? For some reason this song was sang rather often.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:44 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote:

Thanks for sharing this link but attention seeking to the extreme with the unnecessary snowflake reference. Why do it?

It’s not unnescesary. Unfortunately we live in a world in which people can become very offended, very easily.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:02 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote:

Johnny Rotten wrote:

Snowflake.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:21 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:
Johnny Rotten wrote:

It’s not unnescesary. Unfortunately we live in a world in which people can become very offended, very easily.

100% this. Long gone are the days where people just ignored stuff if they didn't like it. How certain words offend people these days is beyond laughable.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:25 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Doesn’t speak about his time at Mansfield.

He does a little bit towards the end.
Interesting that we paid him more in the Conference, plus signing on fee, than what Port Vale paid him.

He says he got sacked from Vale and simply didn't care as he'd already got the move to us lined up.

He said the move was down to Paul Ogden though rather than Coxy. Riles said in the recent podcast with Mansfield Matters that Micky Moore signed him. Cox did well to get a promotion winning squad together when it seems he didn't do all of the recruitment himself.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:32 pm

stagmanrob wrote:

Interesting that we paid him more in the Conference, plus signing on fee, than what Port Vale paid him.

He says he got sacked from Vale and simply didn't care as he'd already got the move to us lined up.

He said the move was down to Paul Ogden though rather than Coxy. Riles said in the recent podcast with Mansfield Matters that Micky Moore signed him. Cox did well to get a promotion winning squad together when it seems he didn't do all of the recruitment himself.

Interesting, that must be extra then as it's not in the audio version of the podcast.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:37 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:

Interesting, that must be extra then as it's not in the audio version of the podcast.

Round about 1hr 27ish into that youtube version I think.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:24 am

I am Spartacus wrote:

the cop killer?

Nope, that was Harry Roberts. I take it you weren’t at the Mill in the 1980’s? For some reason this song was sang rather often.

It started in the 60's when the event happened and just never went away. I think it was just a way of taunting the police who were on duty at matches and went hand in hand with who's the tw*t in the big black hat song. Remember the police had to deal with much higher levels of violence in those days and there weren't many matches when no-one got arrested.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:43 am

stagmanrob wrote:

Paul Ogden did a lot of the recruitment for us and other clubs Paul Cox managed. Paul Ogden instigated the Sam Clucas deal.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:53 am

Pretty grim how he thought drinking and driving with 20 pints in him was a proper laugh. Rissole
Those round the table thought it was a hoot also. Wonder if they'd have felt the same if he'd mown their family down.
Last edited by Spiritater on Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:45 am

Spiritater wrote:Pretty grim how he thought drinking and driving with 20 pints him was a proper laugh. Rissole

I thought the exact same too. Seemed to think it didn't matter as he was in Malta.
Makes you wonder how many times he did it back in the UK. Not only was he a drink-driver, he has never had a licence to drive either.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby m1cksut » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:17 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:

the cop killer?

It started in the 60's when the event happened and just never went away. I think it was just a way of taunting the police who were on duty at matches and went hand in hand with who's the tw*t in the big black hat song. Remember the police had to deal with much higher levels of violence in those days and there weren't many matches when no-one got arrested.

it did indeed SPBS.
i was being deliberately obtuse, spartacus, i know it was harry roberts who was our friend.
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:10 pm

Ability wise he was very good.Temperament was suspect.That is why he didn't play at a higher level.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:20 pm

stagmanrob wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Pretty grim how he thought drinking and driving with 20 pints him was a proper laugh. Rissole

I thought the exact same too. Seemed to think it didn't matter as he was in Malta.
Makes you wonder how many times he did it back in the UK. Not only was he a drink-driver, he has never had a licence to drive either.

Snowflakes
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:28 pm

Idiot
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:55 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:

Snowflakes

The statistics from the Department for Transport (DfT) show that in 2016 an estimated 9,040 people were killed or injured in drink-drive accidents, a rise of 7% from 8,470 in 2015.

Pratt, 9,000 times over.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:25 am

Big yella wrote:
HitchcocksShins wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:

Snowflakes

The statistics from the Department for Transport (DfT) show that in 2016 an estimated 9,040 people were killed or injured in drink-drive accidents, a rise of 7% from 8,470 in 2015.

Pratt, 9,000 times over.

That was easy
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby BilsthorpeStag » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:34 pm

I see on their website that Liam Lawrence also gets an interview. Might have a listen over the weekend...
BilsthorpeStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:04 am

BilsthorpeStag wrote:I see on their website that Liam Lawrence also gets an interview. Might have a listen over the weekend...

The Lawrence one isn't too bad. Discusses his penalty at Cardiff early on, then towards the end he tells a story about Neil MacKenzie two footing Rhys Day's pet snake.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:49 pm

I listened to the podcast whilst mowing the lawn and doing a bit of gardening but it seemed to jump after an advert from talking about Port Vale to playing for Floriana in Malta. I've just had a listen to the You Tube version and he does talk about the Stags.

He says he did not do a lot wrong at Mansfield but he did not really enjoy his time with us. He used to travel in to training from Crewe with Richie Sutton and Matt Rhead. He did well for us in 2011-2012 and helped us to get into the play offs. He started the first 7 games in 2012-2013 but then got put in the Bomb Squad by Paul Cox after the 3-1 defeat at Ebbsfleet United and had to train with the kids. He said he was always the first one from the Bomb Squad that Paul Cox brought back in to training if he had any injuries. Looking at the stats, he got brought back in again for the 0-0 home draw against Lincoln and the 1-0 home win against Forest Green in October but then was dropped after the 2-0 away defeat at Dartford which was on TV and he never played for the Stags again.

Jamie Hand sounds like a pleasant individual.

I'm glad Gary Roberts has now sorted his life out but he was clearly a bad 'un and I would have had him nowhere near our dressing room if he was going out on the piss and missing training. I remember when he was at the Stags someone told me that he owed a load of money to some gangsters in Liverpool. It sounds like it was probably true as he had a serious gambling problem.

He talks about the Stags around 1 hour 22 mins and then again around 1 hour 27 mins
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:06 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I listened to the podcast whilst mowing the lawn and doing a bit of gardening but it seemed to jump after an advert from talking about Port Vale to playing for Floriana in Malta. I've just had a listen to the You Tube version and he does talk about the Stags.

He says he did not do a lot wrong at Mansfield but he did not really enjoy his time with us. He used to travel in to training from Crewe with Richie Sutton and Matt Rhead. He did well for us in 2011-2012 and helped us to get into the play offs. He started the first 7 games in 2012-2013 but then got put in the Bomb Squad by Paul Cox after the 3-1 defeat at Ebbsfleet United and had to train with the kids. He said he was always the first one from the Bomb Squad that Paul Cox brought back in to training if he had any injuries. Looking at the stats, he got brought back in again for the 0-0 home draw against Lincoln and the 1-0 home win against Forest Green in October but then was dropped after the 2-0 away defeat at Dartford which was on TV and he never played for the Stags again.

Jamie Hand sounds like a pleasant individual.

I'm glad Gary Roberts has now sorted his life out but he was clearly a bad 'un and I would have had him nowhere near our dressing room if he was going out on the piss and missing training. I remember when he was at the Stags someone told me that he owed a load of money to some gangsters in Liverpool. It sounds like it was probably true as he had a serious gambling problem.

He talks about the Stags around 1 hour 22 mins and then again around 1 hour 27 mins

Jamie Hand was on the 'Magic Sponge' podcast with Rob Beckett and Jimmy Bullard.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum