{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Club shop

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Club shop

Postby Iliketrains » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:57 pm

JR does know a thing or two about business and that includes ripping off his One Call customers. I took out car insurance online and a few weeks later they informed me of a discrepancy with the information i submitted. It was a speeding fine that had expired but according to One Call even if it's expired if it is under 5 years ago they still have to know about it.

So i told them the correct information and suddenly they wanted another 400 and odd quid and my monthly payments increased.

Out of pure interest i once again went online and inputted this revised and now correct info and lo and behold the premium that One Call came up with was virtually unchanged from the price i originally received containing the missing information.

I cancelled my policy straight away and told them they can take me to court for any monies owed (cancellation fees etc) as i don't appreciate being mugged off. So JR knowingly or unknowingly owns a business that is complicit in bad practice.
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Iliketrains wrote:JR does know a thing or two about business and that includes ripping off his One Call customers. I took out car insurance online and a few weeks later they informed me of a discrepancy with the information i submitted. It was a speeding fine that had expired but according to One Call even if it's expired if it is under 5 years ago they still have to know about it.

So i told them the correct information and suddenly they wanted another 400 and odd quid and my monthly payments increased.

Out of pure interest i once again went online and inputted this revised and now correct info and lo and behold the premium that One Call came up with was virtually unchanged from the price i originally received containing the missing information.

I cancelled my policy straight away and told them they can take me to court for any monies owed (cancellation fees etc) as i don't appreciate being mugged off. So JR knowingly or unknowingly owns a business that is complicit in bad practice.

I don’t think anyone in the insurance business is perfect, but the “convictions in the last five years declaration” is commonplace in the industry. You must not have read the online question properly when you originally applied.

It is reasonable to criticise One Call Insurance’s poor practice. Indeed the Financial Conduct Authority were so unimpressed that they banned JR from holding “any position of influence” within the business.

Nobody’s perfect and perhaps we should remember that when JR is referred to in overly reverential terms.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Iliketrains » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:47 pm

You're missing the point Edwinstowestag. I accept that the "convictions in the last five years" declaration is common place and i haven't an issue with that. I didn't know about this which is why i didn't declare it originally.

My point is that when i DID declare it, they suddenly asked me to pay over £400 and nearly double the monthly premium which when i refused and went back to the website to input the CORRECT information just to see if their increase was accurate as i smelled a rat, the quote was just about the same in light of this declaration as it was originally with it's omission. Yet One Call were happy to have me pay about £800 over the year in increased premiums for a product i could have got FROM THEM online for the same as i was quoted originally.

So in short they just wanted to rip me off .
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:37 pm

Cars are overrated anyway ,stick to trains pal.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Iliketrains » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:20 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Cars are overrated anyway ,stick to trains pal.

They are even more expensive though. ;)

I reckon a journey from Mansfield to Manchester would take about 5 hours, involve 4 changes and cost about a hundred quid.

Just for the record i've no complaints at all regarding the investment JR has put into MTFC in terms of not just money but time and dedication. My beef is with the unfair operating practices of one of the businesses he owns.
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby BigGuy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:55 pm

If you do it right, £15 return plus pronto bus fare to sheep land
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:00 pm

Iliketrains wrote:You're missing the point Edwinstowestag. I accept that the "convictions in the last five years" declaration is common place and i haven't an issue with that. I didn't know about this which is why i didn't declare it originally.

My point is that when i DID declare it, they suddenly asked me to pay over £400 and nearly double the monthly premium which when i refused and went back to the website to input the CORRECT information just to see if their increase was accurate as i smelled a rat, the quote was just about the same in light of this declaration as it was originally with it's omission. Yet One Call were happy to have me pay about £800 over the year in increased premiums for a product i could have got FROM THEM online for the same as i was quoted originally.

So in short they just wanted to rip me off .

Oh come on! Someone’s got to pay for JR’s chopper and Carolyn’s over-sized Gucci. ;)
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:03 pm

I can’t beleive this threads made it three pages deep and were now discussing how JR runs his main business which has made him millions.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:06 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:I can’t beleive this threads made it three pages deep and were now discussing how JR runs his main business which has made him millions.

BELIEVE it, MTFCMAD
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:10 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:I can’t beleive this threads made it three pages deep and were now discussing how JR runs his main business which has made him millions.

Many of which he's pumped into MTFC. :mtfc:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jay » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:08 pm

If the shop had just opened for 4 hours on Saturday, this thread wouldn’t have to exist.
Jay
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bigalstag » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:23 pm

Is there a football club running at the moment. I thought everybody had gone away, and we had closed down for 2 months.
To be fair to the ticket office,its the only visible sign that their is a business running at the moment.
The commercial side of the club I.e. shirt sales ,opening hours etc, is like the ticketing system, poorly implemented and amateurish.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Dan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:41 pm

The people who are saying JR is a businessman & has made millions blah blah blah are missing the point as usual.

Alan Hardy also made millions & look what’s happened to him & Notts County.

Just because someone makes millions from one business doesn’t mean they will do the same with another. Insurance & football are completely different entities.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:38 am

Today is the big day, club shop back open. Will Jay finally get his shirt?

Will Dads all over Mansfield finally talk to their sons for not getting them the present that they wanted.

#prayforJay
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:53 am

Iliketrains wrote:

I reckon a journey from Mansfield to Manchester would take about 5 hours, involve 4 changes and cost about a hundred quid.

Just for the record i've no complaints at all regarding the investment JR has put into MTFC in terms of not just money but time and dedication. My beef is with the unfair operating practices of one of the businesses he owns.

Don't let a rant get in the way of facts. Mansfield, Nottingham, Manchester Piccadilly £51 return 2 hours 40 minutes
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby scotsstag » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:04 pm

Bros wrote:
Iliketrains wrote:

Don't let a rant get in the way of facts. Mansfield, Nottingham, Manchester Piccadilly £51 return 2 hours 40 minutes

He must have meant return, double what you said and it becomes what he said. :lol:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:14 pm

Can’t wait for the season to start, so we can type absolute scruttocks about football.

Imagine the fun we’re about to have..........

Ticket allocations
Stewards
Signings failing (then coming good)
Weather postponements (mezz in/out)
Gobby fans
Demps in/out shake it all about
Cheap options
Expensive rubbish
Cup draws and more ticket allocation woes
Champions after 2 wins on the bounce
Relegation fodder after 2 losses
Crap food
Happy/miserable staff
Coppers
Gates
Rights of way
Scoreboards
Bird poo on my seat

Can’t wait :lol:
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Jay » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:45 pm

Sorry all, clearly I was wrong to point out what I saw as a missed opportunity to make the club some more money on what could have been a very busy trading day.

I'll go back instead to reading the pages and pages of in-jokes and "banter" that make up most of the threads on here at the minute.

I thought I was making a decent point but the discussion seems to have descended into sarcasm and people claiming I'm moaning about nothing.

Sad really.
Jay
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:53 pm

Love when one these posts come round , my favourite ones ever.

A post moaning about people moaning.

Love it :D
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:06 pm

James wrote:Today is the big day, club shop back open. Will Jay finally get his shirt?

Will Dads all over Mansfield finally talk to their sons for not getting them the present that they wanted.

#prayforJay

Sadly not I fear

It's a work-day and a school-day today. How can the anger be appeased after yesterday's sadness and distraught father's in Mansfield and District...

#prayforjay
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:07 pm

scotsstag wrote:
Bros wrote:
Iliketrains wrote:

He must have meant return, double what you said and it becomes what he said. :lol:

A return to Alfreton from Manchester is about £28 for a single and 10p more for the returb (you'd then get the nines bus from Alfreton train station) and takes about 2 hours

Sorry to be boring, but I do that trip every home game (though completely off topic :lol: )
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Iliketrains » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:47 pm

Jay wrote:Sorry all, clearly I was wrong to point out what I saw as a missed opportunity to make the club some more money on what could have been a very busy trading day.

I'll go back instead to reading the pages and pages of in-jokes and "banter" that make up most of the threads on here at the minute.

I thought I was making a decent point but the discussion seems to have descended into sarcasm and people claiming I'm moaning about nothing.

Sad really.

Jay you posted the thread because you wanted to know what others thought which is how debate / discussion and a forum should work so that's fair enough so apology not accepted. ;)

In addition, thanks everyone for pointing out my rail faux pas(s) but my theoretical journey from Mansfield to Manchester was just a tongue in cheek example of many typical rail journeys in the UK and was an forlorn attempt at humour. Thanks anyway for posting the facts of the 'real' journey although i didn't really want to know.

As for JR's businesses. He isn't involved in MTFC as a business as i'm sure most will understand. Anyone who can make running a small town perennial lower league club into a viable business let alone turn a profit worthy of all the time and effort deserves all the plaudits they can get. He is into insurance as it can make him money if done properly. Dan is correct. The only football clubs run as business are those that have the capacity to make lots of money and MTFC don't fall into that category.
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Kernow » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:10 pm

Time to put it on the History Channel.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:21 pm

Kernow wrote:Time to put it on the History Channel.

Did we still win World war 2? :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:56 pm

adamstag wrote:
Kernow wrote:Time to put it on the History Channel.

Did we still win World war 2? :lol:

The German SS had their uniforms made by Hugo Boss during the war. I wonder if Hugo only supplied the little fella with the ‘tache during normal opening hours only?????

Cue indignation from the usual suspects.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum