{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Club shop

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Club shop

Postby Jay » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:00 am

I’m not one for whinging normally but why on earth is the club shop not open today? The day after the kit launch and the day before Fathers Day?

Ridiculous management I’m afraid. There were loads of people turning up this morning to find it closed.

Absolute missed opportunity and shows very little business intelligence.

Sorry for the rant.
Jay
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Club shop

Postby M E » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:13 am

It’s been common knowledge for years that the club shop only opens on a Saturday when it’s a home match day yet so many people still whinge about it, the staff have lives as well outside the football club.
M E
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby frt1987 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:14 am

You are spot on..never understood why it doesn’t open until 10 either on Monday to Friday
frt1987
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tess Tickle » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:14 am

Agree with that Jay. One wife and daughter fuming its closed. Many sales lost for fathers day as it's a great gift idea but if you cant get it ya cant get it. Other gifts will be purchased instead and not many of those who were going to buy it specifically for fathers day will return to get it another day...... ah well
Tess Tickle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jay » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:16 am

M E wrote:It’s been common knowledge for years that the club shop only opens on a Saturday when it’s a home match day yet so many people still whinge about it, the staff have lives as well outside the football club.

I’m not suggesting it should be open all hours. It’s just a ridiculous decision not to open it today.
Jay
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:25 am

It does seem daft that the club's retail outlet is closed on the busiest shopping day of the week and only open during hours when most potential customers are at work.

It would make more commercial sense to close on a day in midweek and open at least Saturdays 9 til 1 at least.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:31 am

Tess Tickle wrote:Agree with that Jay. One wife and daughter fuming its closed. Many sales lost for fathers day as it's a great gift idea but if you cant get it ya cant get it. Other gifts will be purchased instead and not many of those who were going to buy it specifically for fathers day will return to get it another day...... ah well
You make a good point.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:37 am

Probably could of opened 10-2 today and advertised it on the social media.

Maybe next year.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:31 pm

Sorry but it isn't good enough in this day and age 9-5 when most are working same pattern (and more). Saturday likely to be busiest day of the week most weeks regardless of open or close season with season tickets, kit launches etc.

Most can't get to the shop in the current opening times and the club likely lose out a lot of money on the back of this.

I understand that the club shop team have lives too, but during the open season they work alternate saturdays anyway.

I'd suggest staggering the working week, close Mondays open Tuesday's to Saturday same working hours.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:43 pm

M E wrote:It’s been common knowledge for years that the club shop only opens on a Saturday when it’s a home match day yet so many people still whinge about it, the staff have lives as well outside the football club.

Are you for real ?

I forgot nobody works Saturdays nowadays.....

2 shirt sale's would prob cover staff costs for being open from 9 - 1 today.

We are getting a lot right at our club ag the moment but we still get some basic things very wrong.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Minky123 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:22 pm

Sneag wrote:It does seem daft that the club's retail outlet is closed on the busiest shopping day of the week and only open during hours when most potential customers are at work.

It would make more commercial sense to close on a day in midweek and open at least Saturdays 9 til 1 at least.

This
Minky123
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:40 pm

Don't go acting like a martyr in this, M E. Day after kit launch and day before father's Day? Them not opening today is simply moronic.
That shop is open about 23 Saturdays of the year, a business is a business and factoring in the staff having lives is not a point to hide behind in this
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Iliketrains » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:41 pm

I'm a bit puzzled at this complaint really. Don't get me wrong, i think the customer service aspect from the club shop / ticket office staff is mundane or moribund for want of a better word. Functional to be polite. However i think the criticism that the club shop of a small league 2 football club that has about 4000 fans isn't open on a Saturday in the off season is a bit OTT and it just goes to show that the old adage of 'you can't please all of the people all of the time' has never been truer.

It also goes to prove that the society we now live in where everyone wants everything yesterday is very much alive and kicking.

I get that it's Fathers Day tomorrow and the new home shirt would have been a nice present. It still is. There is this new technology thing called the internet. Order it online, get your kids to draw a colourful picture of the new shirt, cut it out and put it in a Father's Day card with a nice message and the shirt will be delivered in a few days. The Father has still got his shirt but just not for a few days. The effect is still the same. Some people find any sort of wait difficult to handle.

Surely the things to complain about are that the new shirt is awful and looks like someone has just stuck a pair of blue mens briefs over the front of it. Oh and the cost as usual. Forty quid for a garment that looks cheap, feels cheap and and probably been made for a quid in the deep, dark depths of Bangladesh isn't something i'd be rushing out to buy anyway.
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:45 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:

Don't go acting like a martyr in this, M E. Day after kit launch and day before father's Day? Them not opening today is simply moronic.
That shop is open about 23 Saturdays of the year, a business is a business and factoring in the staff having lives is not a point to hide behind in this

Yes. But there is a lovely new carpet in the Sandy Pate bar.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:24 pm

Iliketrains wrote:I'm a bit puzzled at this complaint really. Don't get me wrong, i think the customer service aspect from the club shop / ticket office staff is mundane or moribund for want of a better word. Functional to be polite. However i think the criticism that the club shop of a small league 2 football club that has about 4000 fans isn't open on a Saturday in the off season is a bit OTT and it just goes to show that the old adage of 'you can't please all of the people all of the time' has never been truer.

It also goes to prove that the society we now live in where everyone wants everything yesterday is very much alive and kicking.

I get that it's Fathers Day tomorrow and the new home shirt would have been a nice present. It still is. There is this new technology thing called the internet. Order it online, get your kids to draw a colourful picture of the new shirt, cut it out and put it in a Father's Day card with a nice message and the shirt will be delivered in a few days. The Father has still got his shirt but just not for a few days. The effect is still the same. Some people find any sort of wait difficult to handle.

Surely the things to complain about are that the new shirt is awful and looks like someone has just stuck a pair of blue mens briefs over the front of it. Oh and the cost as usual. Forty quid for a garment that looks cheap, feels cheap and and probably been made for a quid in the deep, dark depths of Bangladesh isn't something i'd be rushing out to buy anyway.

Most the fans I know like the new shirt.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:36 pm

At least there is a new thread to read at last aside from those that have been on all week and just being added to because nothing else seems to be happening at the club!!
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jay » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Iliketrains wrote:I'm a bit puzzled at this complaint really. Don't get me wrong, i think the customer service aspect from the club shop / ticket office staff is mundane or moribund for want of a better word. Functional to be polite. However i think the criticism that the club shop of a small league 2 football club that has about 4000 fans isn't open on a Saturday in the off season is a bit OTT and it just goes to show that the old adage of 'you can't please all of the people all of the time' has never been truer.

Not just about the new shirt though is it? There’s the other trade like buying a mug or a pint glass or a tie or whatever. It’s Fathers Day and Dad’s & Grandads get bought little bits like that whilst the sons and grandsons are getting the new shirt.

It’s a missed opportunity for the club to cash in by just opening up for that one extra day and making a big song & dance about it on social media. People will have spent that money elsewhere today instead and the trade is lost.
Jay
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby spanishstag » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:05 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:

Are you for real ?

We are getting a lot right at our club ag the moment but we still get some basic things very wrong.

And theres the reason why people wont work on a saturday ,if two shirt sales ,ie 80 quid covers staff wages etc ,dont think i could be arsed to drag myself to work for about 4 hours for roughly 30 quid before tax ,i am assuming they have to have at least 2 staff for h&s reasons ,bugger that for a game of soldiers
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:09 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
HitchcocksShins wrote:

Yes. But there is a lovely new carpet in the Sandy Pate bar.

:lol: at least they have their priorities right
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:26 pm

spanishstag wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

Are you for real ?

And theres the reason why people wont work on a saturday ,if two shirt sales ,ie 80 quid covers staff wages etc ,dont think i could be arsed to drag myself to work for about 4 hours for roughly 30 quid before tax ,i am assuming they have to have at least 2 staff for h&s reasons ,bugger that for a game of soldiers

If it's in your contract to work Saturdays 'when business needs requires' then you drag your arse in or you look for another job. It's a flipping football club, they work on Saturdays.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Iliketrains » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:35 pm

Jay wrote:

Not just about the new shirt though is it? There’s the other trade like buying a mug or a pint glass or a tie or whatever. It’s Fathers Day and Dad’s & Grandads get bought little bits like that whilst the sons and grandsons are getting the new shirt.

It’s a missed opportunity for the club to cash in by just opening up for that one extra day and making a big song & dance about it on social media. People will have spent that money elsewhere today instead and the trade is lost.

It's a fair point Jay and maybe it was a good idea for the club to open the shop for this one Saturday especially it being after the kit launch and Fathers day too. How much would it have cost the club to open up just even for half a day? Surely it would have been worth it however those wanting to buy shirts will do so anyway just at a later date.

I disagree a little about the other trade you mention although i see your point. Fathers Day, like Christmas Day and Birthdays are once a year and everyone knows well in advance when they are so usually plan accordingly in terms of gift buying. It's a bit unfair to blame the club shop opening hours as the reason Fathers Day gifts can't be bought when people have known about Father's Day for a lone time in advance. Even if fans can't get down in the week they can order online. I can understand the frustration purely in terms of getting the new shirt which hasn't been available all year obviously but for the other 'sundries' i can't really see any blame on the club other than a naive business acumen and stubborn lack of common sense. Yes i can appreciate that last minute gifts such as mugs etc would have been sold if the shop was open Saturday but seriously how much extra money would be made from the odd item here and there?

Any extra money lost via possible impulsive trade is a loss to the club however and your point is valid about this. I think all things considered the club should have perhaps have opened up, even for just half a day maybe given all the circumstances but the point i was making is that some are going way over the top about it all IMO.

Anyone incensed at the club for not opening up then strongly complain to the club about it and ask why and demand an apology. They won't do this though and the reason? It's not actually as important to them as they are making out.
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:24 pm

Iliketrains wrote:
Jay wrote:

It's a fair point Jay and maybe it was a good idea for the club to open the shop for this one Saturday especially it being after the kit launch and Fathers day too. How much would it have cost the club to open up just even for half a day? Surely it would have been worth it however those wanting to buy shirts will do so anyway just at a later date.

I disagree a little about the other trade you mention although i see your point. Fathers Day, like Christmas Day and Birthdays are once a year and everyone knows well in advance when they are so usually plan accordingly in terms of gift buying. It's a bit unfair to blame the club shop opening hours as the reason Fathers Day gifts can't be bought when people have known about Father's Day for a lone time in advance. Even if fans can't get down in the week they can order online. I can understand the frustration purely in terms of getting the new shirt which hasn't been available all year obviously but for the other 'sundries' i can't really see any blame on the club other than a naive business acumen and stubborn lack of common sense. Yes i can appreciate that last minute gifts such as mugs etc would have been sold if the shop was open Saturday but seriously how much extra money would be made from the odd item here and there?

Any extra money lost via possible impulsive trade is a loss to the club however and your point is valid about this. I think all things considered the club should have perhaps have opened up, even for just half a day maybe given all the circumstances but the point i was making is that some are going way over the top about it all IMO.

Anyone incensed at the club for not opening up then strongly complain to the club about it and ask why and demand an apology. They won't do this though and the reason? It's not actually as important to them as they are making out.

A very sensible post there.

Let’s face it if we will still sell the same number of shirts there or there shouts with or without opening up today.

God this cclose season doesn’t half get people moaning about little unimportant things.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:55 pm

Jay wrote:

Spot on. Don't forget the busiest days of every football club will be a Saturday for 10 months so one extra isn't going to make a difference. You can give days off in lieu or even give them double time because all the stuff that would've been bought today as presents for tomorrow would've more than covered it.

I can see why M E has put what he has & completely understand it. I too love certain members of the staff at the club (especially Anne) but if we're honest, the club should've been banging it out on twatter and facebook yesterday saying the club shop will be open say 10-2 tomorrow as a one off for Fathers Day presents. People will be heading into town for their usual saturday shop anyway so could've gone up to the ground & got a shirt plus lots of others bits & pieces. Definitely a missed opportunity I'm afraid, no matter how much we love the club & the staff who work there.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:16 pm

Is anyone in anywhere actually ‘fuming’ about this, or is it just another case of saying you are ‘fuming’ when in reality it’s just one of those things?
James
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:17 pm

I’m picturing hoards of Stags fans going out tonight, whatever they’re doing and literally not talking to anyone all night...

Alright mate, what’s up?

Ahh the club shop wasn’t open earlier so I can get the new shirt...

I mean you could get it Mond...

I said, I’m FUMING, are you not listening?
James
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum