{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Dempsters First Signing !

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Dempsters First Signing !

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:59 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:For what it's worth, I know quite a lot of people who support other football clubs ( some of which are rivals ), who think it was a crazy decision to sack DF.

We can all have an opinion being on the outside looking in. I had a lot of Notts fans taking the piss out of me for the decision until I told them that THEY had a better record than what we did in the last 15 games of the season then they completely understood the decision!

Also he was backed to the moon and back with players like Grant and Ajose with both wages combined probably being close to 5 figures a week. All the over night stops, training at St. George’s and Loughborough yet the performances got worse every week.

The football was only good up until Xmas after that it got rapidly poor on he eye.

Then he bottled a nailed on automatic promotion then produced one the the most unpleasant displays in my life in the home leg to Newport it the semis. All this a year after he took a team who were in very good form with a game in hand from 4th to 8th with only 12 games to go.

Plenty of reasons there for him to lose his job.
You guys criticise my posts questioning the decision. The irony is you guys can't resist having digs at a manager who got us to our highest finish in years. Yet you don't question the guys who were actually playing in the games.

You (and others ) may be pleased to know that I won't be making any further comments regarding DF and his sacking.

Thank you Lord for that small mercy
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:48 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Sneag wrote:Andy, I've been supporting Stags for 45 years and I think 37 of them were like last season, in that at the end of the season we had failed to achieve anything. It may have been close to not being a failure, but that just makes it all the more disappointing.

If JR is tightening the purse strings a bit (and it's still supposition that he is) then the blame for that lies at the feet of Flitcroft & Evans.
Last season was way above an average season. Probably in the top ten in the 50 plus years I've been attending games. Disappointing at the end, yes I agree. But for most of it the best football we've played in years.

If we don't get promoted next season, I'm fine with that. As long as we progress than I will be happy. By progress I mean that some of the youngsters gain first team experience and JD begins to learn about a league 2 manager.

I think it is likely JR will tighten the purse strings, he would be foolish not to do so with an untried manager. That's what he did when AM became manager.

I ACTUALLY AGREE WITH YOU AMBER ANDY
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:55 pm

At the end of the day, the Radfords invest in the club. They call the shots. Do I agree with DF sacking? No. Do I support their decision? Yes, I've got no choice really. Will I support JD? of course I will, he will get the same backing DF (and any other manager) got from me.

Expectation are an improvement on last year. So promotion basically, by any means. If not then he should go (DF got 1 full season and so should JD) . JD has been at the club in the academy role for around 4 years so he knows what's what. With the links to the first team he will be fully aware of the players. No excuses, the Radfords set the bar now he's got to get over that bar.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:57 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Sneag wrote:Andy, I've been supporting Stags for 45 years and I think 37 of them were like last season, in that at the end of the season we had failed to achieve anything. It may have been close to not being a failure, but that just makes it all the more disappointing.

If JR is tightening the purse strings a bit (and it's still supposition that he is) then the blame for that lies at the feet of Flitcroft & Evans.
Last season was way above an average season. Probably in the top ten in the 50 plus years I've been attending games. Disappointing at the end, yes I agree. But for most of it the best football we've played in years.

If we don't get promoted next season, I'm fine with that. As long as we progress than I will be happy. By progress I mean that some of the youngsters gain first team experience and JD begins to learn about a league 2 manager.

I think it is likely JR will tighten the purse strings, he would be foolish not to do so with an untried manager. That's what he did when AM became manager.

Steady on Edders :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:36 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Is that really how you would measure 'progress'? - Even if it means that we finish at the bottom of the league? Progress surely must be that we finish higher than 4th place? Of what consequence is it whether some youngsters or a rookie manager gains first team experience at the expense of results and promotion?
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:21 am

Vice President wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Is that really how you would measure 'progress'? - Even if it means that we finish at the bottom of the league? Progress surely must be that we finish higher than 4th place? Of what consequence is it whether some youngsters or a rookie manager gains first team experience at the expense of results and promotion?

The club have invested a lot of time and money in the youth system. If some of the products of the youth team became regular first team players / regular squad members I would see that as progress. It would also justify the spending in the youth system. Otherwise why have an expensive youth system? Who better to make this happen than JD.

I understand your point about progress being measured by finishing higher in the league than last season. I just feel the perimeters have changed since the appointment of an inexperienced manager. I sense a change in direction from the owners of the club. This is not a criticism of the owners as they have invested a lot of money into the club.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:47 am

JR has told him the backing has not changed, however the proof of the pie is in the eating, if/when we start to see the quality of his signings this will tell all, JD already stated only if they are good enough will the be selected, which is spot on !

the perimeters will not and never will change for fans they want success, i’m sure this week will answer a few of the questions above, the manager will be back at his desk
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:16 am

gazza1988 wrote:At the end of the day, the Radfords invest in the club. They call the shots. Do I agree with DF sacking? No. Do I support their decision? Yes, I've got no choice really. Will I support JD? of course I will, he will get the same backing DF (and any other manager) got from me.

Expectation are an improvement on last year. So promotion basically, by any means. If not then he should go (DF got 1 full season and so should JD) . JD has been at the club in the academy role for around 4 years so he knows what's what. With the links to the first team he will be fully aware of the players. No excuses, the Radfords set the bar now he's got to get over that bar.

This sounds like someone spitting the dummy out because their mate has got the sack.

To start Mr Flitcroft didn't get just one full season, he got one full season and twelve matches. On both occasions the team were in very strong positions and yet still managed to blow the chances. We should have made the play offs in 2017/2018 and it was incompetent not to do so from the position that Mr Flitcroft inherited.

Last year you were constantly telling us that DF shouldn't be judged until he had the opportunity to get rid of Evans' players and get in the players that he wants. JD has inherited a much larger group of players who are still under contract and are not his players and yet you are now saying. He should be sacked if they don't get promotion at the first attempt.

Come on Rob, you are better than this. Stop being Mardy and get behind the new manager and the team no matter who signed the players.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:15 am

Johnny H wrote:New signing to be announced later today or tomorrow.
Been at the club this afternoon for photos etc.
Signed from an established Premiership team if I'm right and not a position I expected to sign player for.

So, as we all have waited for the big announcement the only photos were all to do with the new kit; The Chief, Khan, Mel & Davies plus the two guys from Senior Salmon sponsorship.

I've got to hand it to you, a convincing opening thread which has generated an 8 page thread of complete waffle - I suppose it's better than the deafening silence :roll:
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:18 am

Signed from an established Premiership team if I'm right and not a position I expected to sign player for.

Photos were just the kit shoot... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How to create such a blatant lie and convince yourself you were right because of a photographer. Stagsnet moron at his best!
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:11 am

Sedgwick wrote:

Photos were just the kit shoot... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How to create such a blatant lie and convince yourself you were right because of a photographer. Stagsnet moron at his best!

Johnny H is normally reliable for his info. Maybe the deal didn't go ahead or has been delayed for whatever reason?
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:53 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:At the end of the day, the Radfords invest in the club. They call the shots. Do I agree with DF sacking? No. Do I support their decision? Yes, I've got no choice really. Will I support JD? of course I will, he will get the same backing DF (and any other manager) got from me.

This sounds like someone spitting the dummy out because their mate has got the sack.

To start Mr Flitcroft didn't get just one full season, he got one full season and twelve matches. On both occasions the team were in very strong positions and yet still managed to blow the chances. We should have made the play offs in 2017/2018 and it was incompetent not to do so from the position that Mr Flitcroft inherited.

Last year you were constantly telling us that DF shouldn't be judged until he had the opportunity to get rid of Evans' players and get in the players that he wants. JD has inherited a much larger group of players who are still under contract and are not his players and yet you are now saying. He should be sacked if they don't get promotion at the first attempt.

Come on Rob, you are better than this. Stop being Mardy and get behind the new manager and the team no matter who signed the players.

I still hold that belief regarding the players DF's and JD shouldn't really be judged. However, if you would care to read the last sentence I wrote on the post you quoted it is the Radfords who have set the bar. Promotion, or else.

Technically speaking we can give Dempster this season and 12 games of the next to get us promoted (not possible in regards to being promoted 12 games in, just being pedantic there)

DF had 12 games with someone else's players and was deemed a failure when "any manager taking over should have got us play offs at least with that side" so by that extension lots of people should be expecting automatics as a minimum with the same squad, regardless of who is in charge.

I find it quite funny that many are "flipflopping" their views after a change in manager. Many of the people who were anti-DF. I have gone on record with my surprise and disappointment on DF losing his job, however JD will get my full support and I hope that he will be given 2 seasons to get something together. My opinion is that to go from academy manager to league 2 manager and then league 1 manager (assuming we are promoted thiis season) would be progress too quick for JD. I'm not saying he can't do it just the adapting may take some time.

My biggest fear though is if we don't get promoted this season I can see a clean slate of players happening next summer. Which would set us back again.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Rigsby » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:28 am

8 pages and approaching 200 posts on "Dempsters First Signing" and there hasn't actually been one yet......
Rigsby
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Richard Cranium » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:09 pm

Have they made it upstairs with this scarf yet?
Last edited by Richard Cranium on Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:14 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Have they made it upstairs with this scalf yet?

Scarf??, no because they wanted a new one and the club shop is closed today :)
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:19 pm

Edited... :lol:
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:58 pm

Loads of time still for a few quality signings. We might also need to hold some of the budget back for any quality loan signings that may become available closer in late July/August
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:10 pm

Rigsby wrote:8 pages and approaching 200 posts on "Dempsters First Signing" and there hasn't actually been one yet......

Only Lee Glover.
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:22 pm

What you bringing me into this for, I have not said JD should be sacked if we are not top 3, that is absurd, but I have no doubt some of the short termists on here will be!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:14 pm

Well for me its simple ,radford has said he will receive his full backing ,he appointed JD ,so he must have faith in him ,his signings will tell us where we are going ,for me its a promotion push end of
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:19 pm

Rob wrote:

What you bringing me into this for, I have not said JD should be sacked if we are not top 3, that is absurd, but I have no doubt some of the short termists on here will be!

Sorry Rob it should have read Gazza. I am one of 6 children and my dad always had to go through all of the others names (including the girls) before he remembered my name. I think it must be like diarrhoea and run in your jeans.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:37 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

This sounds like someone spitting the dummy out because their mate has got the sapck.

I still hold that belief regarding the players DF's and JD shouldn't really be judged. However, if you would care to read the last sentence I wrote on the post you quoted it is the Radfords who have set the bar. Promotion, or else.

Technically speaking we can give Dempster this season and 12 games of the next to get us promoted (not possible in regards to being promoted 12 games in, just being pedantic there)

DF had 12 games with someone else's players and was deemed a failure when "any manager taking over should have got us play offs at least with that side" so by that extension lots of people should be expecting automatics as a minimum with the same squad, regardless of who is in charge.

I find it quite funny that many are "flipflopping" their views after a change in manager. Many of the people who were anti-DF. I have gone on record with my surprise and disappointment on DF losing his job, however JD will get my full support and I hope that he will be given 2 seasons to get something together. My opinion is that to go from academy manager to league 2 manager and then league 1 manager (assuming we are promoted thiis season) would be progress too quick for JD. I'm not saying he can't do it just the adapting may take some time.

My biggest fear though is if we don't get promoted this season I can see a clean slate of players happening next summer. Which would set us back again.

When I read your post, it appeared to me that the assertion that JD should only have one season to gain promotion was your view. From your reply it could be that you were expressing your view of what Mr Radford's view is (although I doubt you know what JR's view on the subject actually is). Could you confirm this to be the case please and if not please read your post again.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:41 pm

Yes, it appears to me that this is JR's view (a re-read of what I put I can certainly see how you came to the conclusion you did). Of course I don't know what JR's view is. Something could have gone off behind the scenes between JR and DF which prompted the change in management.

Hymas was on here criticising DF and the inclusion of youth (although since JD has released the youth player Hymas felt should have been involved) and DF criticised the new RH training base, more specifically the pitches. That could very well be 2+2=5 but could just as easily equal 4.

For the record, I certainly want us to be promoted this season (don't we all?) but I won't throw the toys out the pram if we don't. I can't hold the opinion that DF should have had this season, now we are finally rid of Evans' deadwood, to then say JD has this season only where he can only bring in 3-5 of his own players. That would be very hypocritical of me.

JD's appointment though still appears to me to be a 50/50 split between giving a young coach a shot and a stop gap to avoid a scenario this summer like last summer. Established manager coming in and wanting a complete rebuild (basically to avoid another Anderson situation, and to a lesser extent a Mirfin, Diamond and Atkinson situation).

JR doesn't have to finance a rebuild to the squad. JD knows the players we have. JD knows the youth who could be brought in. This could be a bright season.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:14 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Yes, it appears to me that this is JR's view (a re-read of what I put I can certainly see how you came to the conclusion you did). Of course I don't know what JR's view is. Something could have gone off behind the scenes between JR and DF which prompted the change in management.

Hymas was on here criticising DF and the inclusion of youth (although since JD has released the youth player Hymas felt should have been involved) and DF criticised the new RH training base, more specifically the pitches. That could very well be 2+2=5 but could just as easily equal 4.

For the record, I certainly want us to be promoted this season (don't we all?) but I won't throw the toys out the pram if we don't. I can't hold the opinion that DF should have had this season, now we are finally rid of Evans' deadwood, to then say JD has this season only where he can only bring in 3-5 of his own players. That would be very hypocritical of me.

JD's appointment though still appears to me to be a 50/50 split between giving a young coach a shot and a stop gap to avoid a scenario this summer like last summer. Established manager coming in and wanting a complete rebuild (basically to avoid another Anderson situation, and to a lesser extent a Mirfin, Diamond and Atkinson situation).

JR doesn't have to finance a rebuild to the squad. JD knows the players we have. JD knows the youth who could be brought in. This could be a bright season.

JR doesn't have to finance a rebuild to the squad

Does he confide in you, then?

I wouldn’t disagree BTW
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:28 pm

More than happy to finish in the top ten next season. No pressure on JD for me.
Dan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum