{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Dempsters First Signing !

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Dempsters First Signing !

Postby MOTG » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:12 am

I'm sure both Dempster and Glover will have their targets however I think the forthcoming season will probably see the introduction of our yougsters coming through to the first team , at least I hope so especially with Dempster's knowledge of how good they are .
I'm excited at seeing Jordan Graham playing again as I think he has great potential.
I would accept even a mid table position if it meant seeing the youngsters given a chance to make the grade and then build on from there .
It took time for the likes of Liam Lawrence, Craig Disley, Leroy Williamson ,Bobby Hassel and John Baptiste, aswell as others , to show how good they were . Let's be patient and give the new Management team and Squad time . COYS
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:26 am

Were not going to be Forcing the youth to come through just because demps is the manager.

We've got a great squad that just needs adding to. The signings will come soon enough. Stop panicking and all this nonsense of accepting a mid table finish bacuse we haven't signed 10 players already.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:48 am

I'm inclined to agree that we'll see more of the youngsters this coming season. Appointing JD indicates this. Also, running all the various age-group teams can't come cheap. There's no point incurring that expense unless a significant number of them make the grade, and either get us promotion or are sold on (or both).
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby one f in mansfield » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:02 pm

MOTG wrote:I'm sure both Dempster and Glover will have their targets however I think the forthcoming season will probably see the introduction of our yougsters coming through to the first team , at least I hope so especially with Dempster's knowledge of how good they are .
I'm excited at seeing Jordan Graham playing again as I think he has great potential.
I would accept even a mid table position if it meant seeing the youngsters given a chance to make the grade and then build on from there .
It took time for the likes of Liam Lawrence, Craig Disley, Leroy Williamson ,Bobby Hassel and John Baptiste, aswell as others , to show how good they were . Let's be patient and give the new Management team and Squad time . COYS

Steady progress being made on and off the pitch ever since Mr ( sir ) Radford took over . It has taken time to finish 4th .A position that failed to impress the board and cost the manager his job . Promotion has to be the target . Anything less than 3rd would only be acceptable if promotion was later achieved via the play offs . The current squad of around 20 are supposedly on wages for a top of the table side.you do not pay those sort of wages to help bring along the youngsters.If any of the youngsters get starts next season I hope it is because they are good enough NOW .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:46 pm

JD has already said it won’t be the case unless they’re good enough to make it into the first team. Stop worrying.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:51 pm

Dan wrote:JD has already said it won’t be the case unless they’re good enough to make it into the first team. Stop worrying.
Managers say a lot of things Dan.

If it means blooding the youngsters and mid table obscurity, so be it.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:19 pm

He won’t blood youth for the sake of it.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:28 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Dan wrote:JD has already said it won’t be the case unless they’re good enough to make it into the first team. Stop worrying.

You’re starting to sound like Norman regarding JD :roll:
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:29 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

He’s pining for his mate DF, he’s still not over it ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:46 pm

Dan wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

He’s pining for his mate DF, he’s still not over it ;)
No I'm not Dan.

I think your dislike for DF is far more telling than my support for him.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:48 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Really. I support whoever is the manager.

I'm just being realistic about our chances next season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:50 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

We should all bow to your vastly superior footballing knowledge
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:39 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

We should all bow to your vastly superior footballing knowledge
Edders have you been drinking from the same cup of virtue as Dan ?

I fear we have gone backwards by sacking a manager that got us to fourth in the league and replaced him with a rookie manager. I have never met DF so to imply (as Dan did that I'm pining for him is ridiculous ). I think we were so close to success that we should have stuck with him. It's as simple as that.

It's just my opinion no worse or better than yours or anyone else's on this board. It's based on years of supporting MTFC. Over the years the number of seasons like we had last year can be counted on one hand. Personally I think next season will not be as good. That's not in anyway a criticism of the new manager, whom I wish well. However, he is learning the trade and I'm not particularly convinced that his back up team have the experience necessary to reach the same heights as last season. The fact that we havn't signed any so far isn't alarming, but leads me to wonder if any of the targets DF had identified arnt coming, for whatever reason.

If JD does get us promoted, even with a similar squad, I will be absolutely delighted and he will deserve much praise.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:48 pm

Christ still being on about this cannot be healthy, get over it.

Let’s hope for a signing soon to help.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:57 pm

Andy, I've been supporting Stags for 45 years and I think 37 of them were like last season, in that at the end of the season we had failed to achieve anything. It may have been close to not being a failure, but that just makes it all the more disappointing.

If JR is tightening the purse strings a bit (and it's still supposition that he is) then the blame for that lies at the feet of Flitcroft & Evans.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:06 pm

Sneag wrote:Andy, I've been supporting Stags for 45 years and I think 37 of them were like last season, in that at the end of the season we had failed to achieve anything. It may have been close to not being a failure, but that just makes it all the more disappointing.

If JR is tightening the purse strings a bit (and it's still supposition that he is) then the blame for that lies at the feet of Flitcroft & Evans.
Last season was way above an average season. Probably in the top ten in the 50 plus years I've been attending games. Disappointing at the end, yes I agree. But for most of it the best football we've played in years.

If we don't get promoted next season, I'm fine with that. As long as we progress than I will be happy. By progress I mean that some of the youngsters gain first team experience and JD begins to learn about a league 2 manager.

I think it is likely JR will tighten the purse strings, he would be foolish not to do so with an untried manager. That's what he did when AM became manager.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:18 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Sneag wrote:Andy, I've been supporting Stags for 45 years and I think 37 of them were like last season, in that at the end of the season we had failed to achieve anything. It may have been close to not being a failure, but that just makes it all the more disappointing.

Last season was way above an average season. Probably in the top ten in the 50 plus years I've been attending games. Disappointing at the end, yes I agree. But for most of it the best football we've played in years.

If we don't get promoted next season, I'm fine with that. As long as we progress than I will be happy. By progress I mean that some of the youngsters gain first team experience and JD begins to learn about a league 2 manager.

I think it is likely JR will tighten the purse strings, he would be foolish not to do so with an untried manager. That's what he did when AM became manager.

JD has been promised the FULL BACKING by JR ,its clear that every manager works differently ,its mid june ,loads of players available the season doesnt start till august i think he will be bringing more than enough quality to see us in a promotion push ,if our owner didnt think he was ready he would nt have appointed him simples
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:22 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

I'd also point out that Ian Greaves is the only 'tried' manager we have achieved success with in my years of supporting Stags.

Smith, Morris, Foster, Dearden/Watkiss and Cox were all comparitive novices in the managerial hotseat when they won promotions.

I've got no fear whatsoever of having a rookie manager.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:23 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

What you think is a lot different to what is fact though.

But what is fact that since JR sacked DF you have done nothing but question the decision in nearly every post you have made based on assumptions in your own head and not from official sources from the club it’s self.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:35 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

What you think is a lot different to what is fact though.

But what is fact that since JR sacked DF you have done nothing but question the decision in nearly every post you have made based on assumptions in your own head and not from official sources from the club it’s self.

Unfortunately I don't have an official source at the club ! Maybe you do.

All I can go on is my experiences as a supporter for many years.

I've based my opinion on those experiences. For me it was a pleasure to watch the football that was on offer at Field Mill last season.

I feel that as we were so close to promotion, we should have stuck with DF.

For what it's worth, I know quite a lot of people who support other football clubs ( some of which are rivals ), who think it was a crazy decision to sack DF.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:38 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Last season was a very poor league, the points totals prove this.

Looking at the teams for next season and some of the signings already, then I would argue a play off finish from JD is progress.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:58 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Were not going to be Forcing the youth to come through just because demps is the manager.

We've got a great squad that just needs adding to. The signings will come soon enough. Stop panicking and all this nonsense of accepting a mid table finish bacuse we haven't signed 10 players already.

Don't Panic Mr. Mainwaring !!
Has anybody actually said they would accept a mid table position because we haven't signed 10 players already Sedgwick ?.
We do have a good squad but I think we also need the injection of youth coming through providing they are good enough.
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:21 pm

Amber Andy wrote:For what it's worth, I know quite a lot of people who support other football clubs ( some of which are rivals ), who think it was a crazy decision to sack DF.

We can all have an opinion being on the outside looking in. I had a lot of Notts fans taking the piss out of me for the decision until I told them that THEY had a better record than what we did in the last 15 games of the season then they completely understood the decision!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:For what it's worth, I know quite a lot of people who support other football clubs ( some of which are rivals ), who think it was a crazy decision to sack DF.

We can all have an opinion being on the outside looking in. I had a lot of Notts fans taking the piss out of me for the decision until I told them that THEY had a better record than what we did in the last 15 games of the season then they completely understood the decision!

Also he was backed to the moon and back with players like Grant and Ajose with both wages combined probably being close to 5 figures a week. All the over night stops, training at St. George’s and Loughborough yet the performances got worse every week.

The football was only good up until Xmas after that it got rapidly poor on he eye.

Then he bottled a nailed on automatic promotion then produced one the the most unpleasant displays in my life in the home leg to Newport it the semis. All this a year after he took a team who were in very good form with a game in hand from 4th to 8th with only 12 games to go.

Plenty of reasons there for him to lose his job.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:46 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Dan wrote:

Also he was backed to the moon and back with players like Grant and Ajose with both wages combined probably being close to 5 figures a week. All the over night stops, training at St. George’s and Loughborough yet the performances got worse every week.

The football was only good up until Xmas after that it got rapidly poor on he eye.

Then he bottled a nailed on automatic promotion then produced one the the most unpleasant displays in my life in the home leg to Newport it the semis. All this a year after he took a team who were in very good form with a game in hand from 4th to 8th with only 12 games to go.

Plenty of reasons there for him to lose his job.
You guys criticise my posts questioning the decision. The irony is you guys can't resist having digs at a manager who got us to our highest finish in years. Yet you don't question the guys who were actually playing in the games.

You (and others ) may be pleased to know that I won't be making any further comments regarding DF and his sacking.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum