{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Dempsters First Signing !

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Dempsters First Signing !

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:20 pm

oldweststander wrote:Come on girls, stop arguing, all about opinions don't forget.

Opinions are fine, if he/she doesn't rate him as a player, I've no qualms with that. But misrepresenting facts is not opinion.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:32 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Come on girls, stop arguing, all about opinions don't forget.

Opinions are fine, if he/she doesn't rate him as a player, I've no qualms with that. But misrepresenting facts is not opinion.

Yes it's only an opinion and i'll stick to it thanks.
If you find the show reel with him 'attacking the ball' and scoring 'proper centre forwards goals' then i'll reconsider :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:41 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Macca and Rose are fine as back-up players.

Macca can cover both wings and the centre of the park, and I imagine is good in the dressing room. Rose has a decent enough scoring record and will be fine as an impact sub, or if he can rediscover his form he could even start.

Get those Rose tinted spectacles off :D he never looks like scoring. We've just signed a striker who by all accounts likes to 'attack the ball' something Rose just doesn't do, if the cross ain't on his bonce he slumps into Kevin mode

That's rubbish quite frankly Woodclanger. His goal at Lincoln disproves your point straight away.

One solitary goal with a ball on his bonce that GK made a hash of. When's the last time you saw him arrive, attack the ball and rise above the defender to nod home, you can't. He'd rather go for the spectacular scissor that rarely come off.
In fact this 'good in the air' is a bit of a myth

It wasn't one solitary goal though was it, he scored plenty of headed goals when he was in form.

You may have forgotten that he got his face rearranged representing this club, and came back earlier than scheduled in order to try and help.

Rose in generally over rated by a lot of people, the Danny Rose chant is embarrassing and must act as a demotivation for the players who play regularly and score goals. The only way we will see if he is a striker is to play a game which sees he in and around the box and not have the ball hoofed up to him for him to flick on to errh, nobody. There's an element to his game where he can be too selfish and not pass to someone in a much better, in some cases open goal, position but having said that I've seen in the other way.

Danny needs to earn his place in the team and earn the chant, best way of doing that is to get in the team, score goals and make it impossible for Demps to drop him.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:41 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

If you find the show reel with him 'attacking the ball' and scoring 'proper centre forwards goals' then i'll reconsider :lol:

These should do for now.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:03 pm

I think we should keep DR at least until January in the hope that JD can help him back to his best again.

At his best he is an above average striker for league 2.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:18 pm

Last season for Danny must go down as one of the worse in recent times for a player.

Battled to get a transfer away from the club. Then had to grovel back to the fans. Then realised he couldn’t hit a cows backside.

Here’s hoping he’s back to his 2017 form.

I stand by my original assessment of Macca though think he puts in a lot of effort and commitment but not much end product and for the money he’s on there’s other players better than him in any of the positions he can play.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:47 pm

I thought this thread was about new signings not slagging off players who in the recent past were seen as very much in demand
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:49 pm

yorkstag wrote:I thought this thread was about new signings not slagging off players who in the recent past were seen as very much in demand

Slagging off is what some people do best
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:51 pm

Right then fellas, 'jack' (the lad) Dempster has given us his first signing and it was a belter.

Now can we rename this 'Dempsters pre-Portugal signings'?

Any rumours, or positions we think he's going for, know that an additional Centre-forrad is on Jacks list.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:52 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

These should do for now.

I take it back, there were a few in there :D .
My opinion hasn't changed though, not good enough and would still release.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:53 pm

I’d keep Rose. We need quality in depth. He can’t have such a bad season again, can he????
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:26 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:I’d keep Rose. We need quality in depth. He can’t have such a bad season again, can he????

Again??? He's only ever had one decent season
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:33 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:I’d keep Rose. We need quality in depth. He can’t have such a bad season again, can he????

Again??? He's only ever had one decent season

Playing under a manager who did not rate him .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:09 pm

Football is a confidence game and Danny Rose lost it last season. Hopefully JD will get him back to his best.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:18 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

These should do for now.

I take it back, there were a few in there :D .
My opinion hasn't changed though, not good enough and would still release.

5 goals in 44 appearances last season. Perhaps they were "attacking the ball", if you say so, but with a scoring rate like that it hardly matters. He may have been better in previous seasons, but like Matt Green you get the current version not the one in his prime. So harking back to old stats isn't relevant.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:54 am

It is relevant Bradders. I don't think anyone is arguing that he had a good season last year, but there were mitigating factors to take into account, some of which were of Danny's making, some were not. He had a very similar record to Green, but one is 25 and yet to reach his prime, the other is 32 and past his prime. Players very rarely improve at 32, but quite often improve between 25-30.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:42 am

MTFCMusings wrote:It is relevant Bradders. I don't think anyone is arguing that he had a good season last year, but there were mitigating factors to take into account, some of which were of Danny's making, some were not. He had a very similar record to Green, but one is 25 and yet to reach his prime, the other is 32 and past his prime. Players very rarely improve at 32, but quite often improve between 25-30.

Good point about his age, but it's now a long time since he was a regular scorer.

I don't buy the mitigating factors. After all, many times he was in the right position but couldn't control his shot. That's all he's employed for, and he simply failed.

My opinion is that he needs to be constantly kicked up the backside by the manager and only focuses when he's fearful. The only purple patch of his career was under Evans, who we know either gets the best out of a player or drives him away.
Perhaps for that reason he should stay, so that we see if Dempster can kick him into action. He does have his uses, even though currently not as a scorer.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:01 am

Bradders wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:It is relevant Bradders. I don't think anyone is arguing that he had a good season last year, but there were mitigating factors to take into account, some of which were of Danny's making, some were not. He had a very similar record to Green, but one is 25 and yet to reach his prime, the other is 32 and past his prime. Players very rarely improve at 32, but quite often improve between 25-30.

Good point about his age, but it's now a long time since he was a regular scorer.

I don't buy the mitigating factors. After all, many times he was in the right position but couldn't control his shot. That's all he's employed for, and he simply failed.

My opinion is that he needs to be constantly kicked up the backside by the manager and only focuses when he's fearful. The only purple patch of his career was under Evans, who we know either gets the best out of a player or drives him away.
Perhaps for that reason he should stay, so that we see if Dempster can kick him into action. He does have his uses, even though currently not as a scorer.

It's only a season, in which time he had a broken toe, no pre-season and a broken jaw, as well as not playing regularly.

It's also not true to say he only had one purple path in his career, as his record at Bury is actually better than his record at Mansfield.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:23 am

I try to separate how the crew who hold a love in with Rose cos he runs about loads and jumps dead high make me feel, and his actual football ability. It's not easy to do.

Rose, based on the past season, is clearly not good enough to start or maybe even feature heavily for a team such as ourselves who have promotion aspirations.

If he goes I'd lose absolutely no sleep about it. If he stays he needs to be a bench player at the very best.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Gruff » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:28 am

Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby FarnieStag » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:31 am

Even if Danny Rose hit 30 a season I'd struggle to like a player who hit the deck every few minutes trying to con the referee
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby WVStag » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:33 am

FarnieStag wrote:Even if Danny Rose hit 30 a season I'd struggle to like a player who hit the deck every few minutes trying to con the referee

Well that's very silly.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:44 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Bradders wrote:

It's only a season, in which time he had a broken toe, no pre-season and a broken jaw, as well as not playing regularly.

It's also not true to say he only had one purple path in his career, as his record at Bury is actually better than his record at Mansfield.

His record at Bury was poor too!!!!!!!!! 15 in 73
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:48 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Bradders wrote:

19 in 70 actually. 1 in 3.5 fine for a back up striker.

We may not be discussing him much longer anyway :

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:19 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Bradders wrote:

19 in 70 actually. 1 in 3.5 fine for a back up striker.

We may not be discussing him much longer anyway :

No No No, if you want to include his goals on loan but not add the loan appearances then you can make owt up. This makes it 19 in 80 which aint very good, unless you want to go on his Wiki and change that too?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum