{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Dempsters First Signing !

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Dempsters First Signing !

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:25 am

I would say that Rose would be worth keeping for the start of the season to see how he goes under JD after the mess up last season injury and transfer wise.
Farnie and Edwinstowe both make valid although heated comments about Rose but he came on as sub in a few games and did inject a bit into the attack when we were flagging
Whether he is worth or happy with that kind of role or not will have to be seen but I think if a decent offer comes in for him he will probably go but if he really wants to stay and win his place back I am happy with that.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:47 am

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:29 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Bradders wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:It is relevant Bradders. I don't think anyone is arguing that he had a good season last year, but there were mitigating factors to take into account, some of which were of Danny's making, some were not. He had a very similar record to Green, but one is 25 and yet to reach his prime, the other is 32 and past his prime. Players very rarely improve at 32, but quite often improve between 25-30.

Good point about his age, but it's now a long time since he was a regular scorer.

I don't buy the mitigating factors. After all, many times he was in the right position but couldn't control his shot. That's all he's employed for, and he simply failed.

My opinion is that he needs to be constantly kicked up the backside by the manager and only focuses when he's fearful. The only purple patch of his career was under Evans, who we know either gets the best out of a player or drives him away.
Perhaps for that reason he should stay, so that we see if Dempster can kick him into action. He does have his uses, even though currently not as a scorer.

It's only a season, in which time he had a broken toe, no pre-season and a broken jaw, as well as not playing regularly.

It's also not true to say he only had one purple path in his career, as his record at Bury is actually better than his record at Mansfield.

Yeah, he was massively better at Bury.

Mansfield 1 in 4.07 Bury 1 in 3.83 (loan spell included to improve figure)

He was a veritable Alan Shearer at Bury.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:58 am

Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Bradders wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:It is relevant Bradders. I don't think anyone is arguing that he had a good season last year, but there were mitigating factors to take into account, some of which were of Danny's making, some were not. He had a very similar record to Green, but one is 25 and yet to reach his prime, the other is 32 and past his prime. Players very rarely improve at 32, but quite often improve between 25-30.

Good point about his age, but it's now a long time since he was a regular scorer.

I don't buy the mitigating factors. After all, many times he was in the right position but couldn't control his shot. That's all he's employed for, and he simply failed.

My opinion is that he needs to be constantly kicked up the backside by the manager and only focuses when he's fearful. The only purple patch of his career was under Evans, who we know either gets the best out of a player or drives him away.
Perhaps for that reason he should stay, so that we see if Dempster can kick him into action. He does have his uses, even though currently not as a scorer.

It's only a season, in which time he had a broken toe, no pre-season and a broken jaw, as well as not playing regularly.

It's also not true to say he only had one purple path in his career, as his record at Bury is actually better than his record at Mansfield.

Yeah, he was massively better at Bury.

Mansfield 1 in 4.07 Bury 1 in 3.83 (loan spell included to improve figure)

He was a veritable Alan Shearer at Bury.

I'm sure you will know that 3.83 is better than 4.07, which is what I said, and disproves that 'the the only purple patch of his career was under Evans'. I never said he was massively better. 1 in 4 for a backup striker (which he is likely to be for us this season) is perfectly adequate.

His L2 record with Bury is 13 goals in 41, 1 in 3.15. His L2 record with us is 27 goals in 112, 1 in 4.15. Before last season when he had excuses it was 23 in 76, 1 in 3.3.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:13 pm

Ha, ha.

Have you clutched the last straw yet. He's just not good enough, it's simple really.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:17 pm

Big yella wrote:Ha, ha.

Have you clutched the last straw yet. He's just not good enough, it's simple really.

Do you not think 1 in 3/4 is good enough for a back up player?

If memory serves me correctly you wanted Green back over Rose, who has pretty much the same record and is seven years older.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:21 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Don't think I can make any plainer. Danny Rose is not good enough.

To much time on his Harris.
Not prolific enough.
Not physical enough.
Not quick enough.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:25 pm

Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Don't think I can make any plainer. Danny Rose is not good enough.

To much time on his Harris.
Not prolific enough.
Not physical enough.
Not quick enough.

You're welcome to your opinion. Plainly scouts/managers at bigger clubs than ours think he is.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:26 pm

As main striker, i probably agree Yella. As back up striker - i'm not sure what scoring stats you're expecting bud? :?
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:35 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:As main striker, i probably agree Yella. As back up striker - i'm not sure what scoring stats you're expecting bud? :?

He wanted Green, who has pretty much exactly the same record :roll:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:47 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:As main striker, i probably agree Yella. As back up striker - i'm not sure what scoring stats you're expecting bud? :?

Green hasn't been played as an out and out striker recently. Both Lincoln and Salford used him on the wings alongside a recognised striker. Although Rose has been on the pitch alongside other strikers (mainly Walker) he has been there mainly to score goals and not to provide assists.

I'm with Big Yella on this, Rose is not good enough and for the main part never has been. If he concentrated on doing the simple things rather than always trying the spectacular, I'm sure his strike rate would improve. If we can get anything above £20,000 we should let him go as there are plenty of free ones out there who are also probably on smaller wages.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:52 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Green hasn't been played as an out and out striker recently. Both Lincoln and Salford used him on the wings alongside a recognised striker. Although Rose has been on the pitch alongside other strikers (mainly Walker) he has been there mainly to score goals and not to provide assists.

I'm with Big Yella on this, Rose is not good enough and for the main part never has been. If he concentrated on doing the simple things rather than always trying the spectacular, I'm sure his strike rate would improve. If we can get anything above £20,000 we should let him go as there are plenty of free ones out there who are also probably on smaller wages.

I'm not interested in what Green did at Salford that wasn't taken into account with his scoring record.

I agreed, I would also sell him for 200k. But currently, he's our player and will start as a back up striker providing we sign our target. As a back-up, he is perfectly fine.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:59 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

I'm not interested in what Green did at Salford that wasn't taken into account with his scoring record.

I agreed, I would also sell him for 200k. But currently, he's our player and will start as a back up striker providing we sign our target. As a back-up, he is perfectly fine.

Well that's 10 times my valuation. I'm sticking with my opinion thank you but I do appreciate your input even if I don't agree with it.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:46 pm

Pietro mingoia anyone? just had his contract terminated at Accrington
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:07 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Pietro mingoia anyone? just had his contract terminated at Accrington

Is he any good? Cannot recall him .
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Nottsstag100 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:21 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Well that's 10 times my valuation. I'm sticking with my opinion thank you but I do appreciate your input even if I don't agree with it.

20k!!!

You must be having a laugh, over 150k minimum otherwise it’s not worth selling him, with only cook and rose as the 100% fit strikers, with graham and Davies still recovering from injuries having not played in months,(not including this so called impending striker)
Nottsstag100
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:26 pm

MOTG wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Pietro mingoia anyone? just had his contract terminated at Accrington

Is he any good? Cannot recall him .

Piero Mingoia played against us multiple times for Accrington and Cambridge. Not particularly impressed in recent games, after he did in early games against us.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:40 pm

I'm with Big Yella on this, Rose is not good enough and for the main part never has been. If he concentrated on doing the simple things rather than always trying the spectacular, I'm sure his strike rate would improve. If we can get anything above £20,000 we should let him go as there are plenty of free ones out there who are also probably on smaller wages.[/quote]

I agreed, I would also sell him for 200k. But currently, he's our player and will start as a back up striker providing we sign our target. As a back-up, he is perfectly fine.[/quote]

Well that's 10 times my valuation. I'm sticking with my opinion thank you but I do appreciate your input even if I don't agree with it.[/quote]

20k!!!

You must be having a laugh, over 150k minimum otherwise it’s not worth selling him, with only cook and rose as the 100% fit strikers, with graham and Davies still recovering from injuries having not played in months,(not including this so called impending striker)[/quote]

No I'm not having a laugh. He's only worth what someone will pay and on the last two years performance I can't see anyone paying anywhere near £150.000 and his no doubt large wages. He may get regular starts for a conference team but won't fire any team to promotion in league two. Yes he is just about OK as a back up but strikers in that ilk don't cost £150.000 and command big wages.

Let me put it this way,'would you be happy if we spent £150.000 to bring him to the club as a back up?' No I thought not.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:07 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Green hasn't been played as an out and out striker recently. Both Lincoln and Salford used him on the wings alongside a recognised striker. Although Rose has been on the pitch alongside other strikers (mainly Walker) he has been there mainly to score goals and not to provide assists.

I agreed, I would also sell him for 200k. But currently, he's our player and will start as a back up striker providing we sign our target. As a back-up, he is perfectly fine.[/quote]

Well that's 10 times my valuation. I'm sticking with my opinion thank you but I do appreciate your input even if I don't agree with it.[/quote]

20k!!!

You must be having a laugh, over 150k minimum otherwise it’s not worth selling him, with only cook and rose as the 100% fit strikers, with graham and Davies still recovering from injuries having not played in months,(not including this so called impending striker)[/quote]

No I'm not having a laugh. He's only worth what someone will pay and on the last two years performance I can't see anyone paying anywhere near £150.000 and his no doubt large wages. He may get regular starts for a conference team but won't fire any team to promotion in league two. Yes he is just about OK as a back up but strikers in that ilk don't cost £150.000 and command big wages.

Let me put it this way,'would you be happy if we spent £150.000 to bring him to the club as a back up?' No I thought not.[/quote]

£150 isn’t even half a season ticket.

Now if someone offered £150,000 for him I’d consider it.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:18 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Green hasn't been played as an out and out striker recently. Both Lincoln and Salford used him on the wings alongside a recognised striker. Although Rose has been on the pitch alongside other strikers (mainly Walker) he has been there mainly to score goals and not to provide assists.

20k!!!

Let me put it this way,'would you be happy if we spent £150.000 to bring him to the club as a back up?' No I thought not.[/quote]

£150 isn’t even half a season ticket.

Now if someone offered £150,000 for him I’d consider it.[/quote]

Oh very clever and I thought I was pedantic. My point (or full stop in this case) still stands. Get him off the wage bill or pay him what he's worth.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:25 pm

SPBS, who would you like to see here in the place of rose?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:39 pm

Can we rename this thread to "Danny Rose - Thoughts?" as Dempster's first signing was Cook who looks an accomplished goal scorer, and most of the other comments are just opinion-based ramblings on the suitability/future of a current Stags player who we aren't going to sign.... and it's boring the tits off me :D
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:41 pm

My view is Rose deserves to stay, if only for the guts he demonstrated by coming back from that awful injury as soon as he did.

Two seasons ago he as everybody's hero, he can be again given the opportunity.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:17 pm

oldweststander wrote:My view is Rose deserves to stay, if only for the guts he demonstrated by coming back from that awful injury as soon as he did.

Spot on!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:36 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
oldweststander wrote:My view is Rose deserves to stay, if only for the guts he demonstrated by coming back from that awful injury as soon as he did.

Spot on!

Agreed tbh.

Would rather Danny stick around another season at least as he proved he his capable of 15-20 goals a season.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum