{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nottinghamshire clubs unite

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Nottinghamshire clubs unite

Postby Number63 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:04 pm

[url]https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2019/may/social-media-joint-club-statement//url]

Didn't see it on the stags site.

Notts County have teamed up with Nottingham Forest, Mansfield Town, Nottingham Rugby Club and Nottingham Forest Ladies to take a united stance against abusive social media posts.

In addition to the sporting clubs mentioned, local authorities, media outlets and politicians are also backing the campaign to clean up the world of social media and help stop any form of discrimination or hate-filled abusive comments.

In recent times, the world of sport has witnessed some horrific abuse of professional sportsmen and women, staff and fellow supporters.
And Notts County are very pleased to see the county's major sports clubs coming together to combat this very serious issue.

As Notts communicated recently, the club have reported a number of individuals for abusive comments made on digital platforms, some of which have resulted in club bans and police action.

Unfortunately, however, this is a growing problem in society, not just sport, and it's important that Nottinghamshire clubs take a united stand and send a clear message that vile abuse will not be tolerated.

A Nottingham Forest spokesman added: "In truth there were a handful of trolls who were determined to abuse players/staff and other supporters at the beginning, however over the past six months we have seen this number grow.

"We are now at a point where we are being targeted with racist, homophobic and threatening comments on a regular basis. Whilst we are not attempting to censor opinions, in fact we encourage healthy debate amongst our supporters, we feel we cannot stand by and allow this minority to dictate and control our conversation on social media."

Nottinghamshire Police support the clubs’ stance and vow to work together to eliminate abusive comments.

Chief Superintendent Rob Griffin said: “Everyone in our county has the right to live their lives without the fear of being the target of racist, homophobic or any other kind of discriminatory abuse – regardless of whether that’s offline or on social media. That’s why we are standing shoulder-to-shoulder with our county’s sports clubs to confront what we believe is an important issue.

“Everybody who uses social media has a responsibility to do so within the law, which is why we must be clear that anyone who fails to do so and have respect for others online could expect to land themselves in court to answer for their actions.

“This is not about policing free speech or fair comment on how our county’s teams are faring on a match day, but we must make our position clear that grossly offensive and discriminatory messages that are reported to our officers will not be tolerated.”

Anyone who feels they have been subjected to racist, homophobic or any other kind of discriminatory abuse online can report this to Nottinghamshire Police by calling 101 or by using the online reporting form.
Not much matches Mansfield
Number63
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Nottinghamshire clubs unite

Postby bellwhiff » Mon May 20, 2019 5:09 am

That’s all well and laudable but the owner of Notts County is in some part responsible for a fair bit of the abuse that’s been chucked at the club this past season.

I applaud the initiative but it starts inside the clubs.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon May 20, 2019 7:27 am

Whilst accepting and applauding action against posters who direct abuse at individuals, I also feel this will stop comments that fans think of as banter.

We will not be posting comments about the sexual preference of fans from Chesterfield nor will we be commenting on teams playing in the English Leagues who are not geographically within the country's borders.

Additionally I wonder how much contact has been made with the people who actually run these forums in respect of cooperation in policing comments by posters. Will it be on a voluntary basis or will there be notices of compliance served?. This could be a nightmare for board owners.

Please don't think that I condone or support these posts as I don't but I do wonder what impact this initiative will have on supporters forums and can see some closing due to the process and pressure to comply.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon May 20, 2019 8:02 am

I agree with the previous post that whilst there is no place for direct abusive messages this is the thin end of the snowflake phenomenon that moves us into censorship and the prevention of general free speech, comment and opinions.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon May 20, 2019 8:06 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Please don't think that I condone or support these posts as I don't but I do wonder what impact this initiative will have on supporters forums and can see some closing due to the process and pressure to comply.

Should be no impact on this forum. Personal abuse is against board rules and the moderators try to police this.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon May 20, 2019 3:55 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Please don't think that I condone or support these posts as I don't but I do wonder what impact this initiative will have on supporters forums and can see some closing due to the process and pressure to comply.

Should be no impact on this forum. Personal abuse is against board rules and the moderators try to police this.

I fully accept that Martin and think they do a good job with discretion. The problem that I foresee is the comments about Welsh clubs and also the sheep's sexual preferences. Although most of us mention these (myself included) they are technically racist and abusive.

Unfortunately law enforcement agencies do not have the ability to use discretion when enforcing the law and if it is racist or abusive, they should act. It is not up to the police to decide which offences they should investigate and if evidence exists action should be taken. Failure to do so would lay them open to complaints which could be justified. If they don't look, they don't know about it which has probably been the situation to date or rather that is a good excuse.

Some may think this is an extreme view but would you put your job on the line for not carrying out something you are duty bound to do so?. I wouldn't and can see some poor sod being pulled up over a daft comment which is made without malice. The fact that it may result in a warning and not court action is irrelevant really as it will still be recorded.

Time will tell if my fears are grounded or not and I hope you don't have too much work to do when you start getting the notices for information about users identities.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Mon May 20, 2019 6:50 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

I fully accept that Martin and think they do a good job with discretion. The problem that I foresee is the comments about Welsh clubs and also the sheep's sexual preferences. Although most of us mention these (myself included) they are technically racist and abusive.

Abusive possibly, probably but racist? The Welsh aren't a race, so surely this isn't racist.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby young vanish » Mon May 20, 2019 7:34 pm

HU7stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Abusive possibly, probably but racist? The Welsh aren't a race, so surely this isn't racist.

What is the definition of race?
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby young vanish » Mon May 20, 2019 7:42 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

"technically" racist/abusive ~ isn't abuse, abuse, end of?
It has long been part of traditional football supporter lexicon, but maybe it is time to end the playground name calling. Are aggressive and possibly hurtful comments aimed at a rival supporter/team so much different from out-and-out racism, sexism, etc?

Now putting up my umbrella to shelter from the flak.
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby HU7stag » Mon May 20, 2019 8:01 pm

young vanish wrote:
HU7stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

What is the definition of race?

I think we may be mixing up race with ethnicity.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Mon May 20, 2019 8:38 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

You need to try a bit harder n tackle the abuse by a minority on here against fans who have a different view to theirs
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue May 21, 2019 6:52 am

HU7stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Will we in Nottinghamshire be pulling out the 'abusive' card when folk from over the M1, Yorkshire, and the Valleys start shouting the 'S' word?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Tue May 21, 2019 12:08 pm

Spiritater wrote:
HU7stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Will we in Nottinghamshire be pulling out the 'abusive' card when folk from over the M1, Yorkshire, and the Valleys start shouting the 'S' word?

I'm sure we'll give as good as we get. It might be classed as verbally abusive but I wouldn't have thought anyone would be calling the abusive card as you put in.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum