{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Newport play-off part 2 sponsored by extra-time & penalties

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Newport play-off part 2 sponsored by extra-time & penalties

Postby Stags 2002 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:33 pm

In here. :)
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Re: Newport play-off part 2 sponsored by extra-time & penalt

Postby Foresttownstag » Fri May 10, 2019 9:12 pm

3-3 and Mansfield to win on penalties!

Vastly improved performance last night and looked like ourselves again in spells.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri May 10, 2019 9:24 pm

2-0. Rose, Walker
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat May 11, 2019 6:09 am

It's gonna be tough .
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat May 11, 2019 6:27 am

Play like we did on Thursday and we will win.

A tight game but watch out for some full blooded challenges from a fired up Newport. They know they should be dead and buried but the fact they aren't will spur them on. I just hope the officials are up to it this time.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Fitzy499 » Sat May 11, 2019 6:59 am

1-0 stags
Fitzy499
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby GranbyStag » Sat May 11, 2019 7:20 am

Walker 1-0 will do...... pity he didn't sort his feet out in 2nd half when through on goal.
Massive plus point defence looked solid once again
:coys:
GranbyStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Beano » Sat May 11, 2019 7:38 am

Newport’s tactics of bullying and intimidation won’t work at the wonk.

Early goal this time should see them collapse.

3-0

:coys:
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat May 11, 2019 7:56 am

Will be a close game but we can definitely do this if we play to our potential and just calm down a little bit on the ball as the gaps are there for us to exploit. If we do stay calm on the ball I genuinely think we can pick these apart but we’ve got to get that final ball right. I think we will go with the same XI as Thursday, though he may be thinking about getting Grant in for some extra creativity. I’ve mentioned this before, but our record when him and Mellis start together at home is fantastic (different story away).

Played 8, won 6, drawn 1, lost 1. The conceded goals in the draw (Lincoln) and loss (crewe) all came after Grant had been taken off the pitch. He didn’t start against Stevenage and we lacked ideas all game so it’s all food for thought for Flitcroft. That said you couldn’t argue if we went with the same team as it was a much improved performance to recent weeks and our shape looked better. No idea what I’d do, and not fussed who plays as long as we get the win, come on Mansfield!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat May 11, 2019 10:13 am

BH_Stag wrote:Will be a close game but we can definitely do this if we play to our potential and just calm down a little bit on the ball as the gaps are there for us to exploit. If we do stay calm on the ball I genuinely think we can pick these apart but we’ve got to get that final ball right. I think we will go with the same XI as Thursday, though he may be thinking about getting Grant in for some extra creativity. I’ve mentioned this before, but our record when him and Mellis start together at home is fantastic (different story away).

Played 8, won 6, drawn 1, lost 1. The conceded goals in the draw (Lincoln) and loss (crewe) all came after Grant had been taken off the pitch. He didn’t start against Stevenage and we lacked ideas all game so it’s all food for thought for Flitcroft. That said you couldn’t argue if we went with the same team as it was a much improved performance to recent weeks and our shape looked better. No idea what I’d do, and not fussed who plays as long as we get the win, come on Mansfield!

I agree - we need to go back to our old attacking intent. It might be controversial, but I would start with Grant and Ajose (if fully fit), and put Macca & Rose on the bench. However, I think DF will probably start with the same team from Thursday though.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat May 11, 2019 10:56 am

Vice President wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:Will be a close game but we can definitely do this if we play to our potential and just calm down a little bit on the ball as the gaps are there for us to exploit. If we do stay calm on the ball I genuinely think we can pick these apart but we’ve got to get that final ball right. I think we will go with the same XI as Thursday, though he may be thinking about getting Grant in for some extra creativity. I’ve mentioned this before, but our record when him and Mellis start together at home is fantastic (different story away).

I agree - we need to go back to our old attacking intent. It might be controversial, but I would start with Grant and Ajose (if fully fit), and put Macca & Rose on the bench. However, I think DF will probably start with the same team from Thursday though.

Good job VP's not getting t'manager's job any time soon.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat May 11, 2019 11:09 am

Spiritater wrote:
Vice President wrote:

:lol True!: Actually, I just noticed that Ajose wasn't on the bench on Thursday - so he is probably nowhere near fit enough. I still stand by my choice of Grant instead of Macca though ........ Nothing too controversial in that. ;)
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat May 11, 2019 11:18 am

Vice President wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
Vice President wrote:

:lol True!: Actually, I just noticed that Ajose wasn't on the bench on Thursday - so he is probably nowhere near fit enough. I still stand by my choice of Grant instead of Macca though ........ Nothing too controversial in that. ;)

ajose was on the bench on Thursday
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat May 11, 2019 11:33 am

After the hard earned point on Thursday in looking forward to another 3 tomorrow

;)
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat May 11, 2019 12:53 pm

You only thought Ajose wasn’t on the bench because Martin forgot to add his name to the unused subs on his match report. ;)
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat May 11, 2019 12:55 pm

We need, basically have no choice, to attack and take the game to our United Kingdom cousins. It showed on Thursday that the football we can and occasionally do play get results. 90 minutes of playing how we can on Sunday and we are to Wembley.

I predict, rather obviously, a two nil victory with Walker and Bishop netting the goals.

Come on you Stags!!
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat May 11, 2019 1:23 pm

We need to get a win although we can get promoted without winning and Conrad saving penalties!!
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat May 11, 2019 2:20 pm

Comfortable 3 0 home win ,they are so agricultural they should be in lincolnshire
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Sat May 11, 2019 2:43 pm

Confident we can do this...As long as we get a ref that isnt still half asleep in the changing room.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat May 11, 2019 3:14 pm

part time pete wrote:You only thought Ajose wasn’t on the bench because Martin forgot to add his name to the unused subs on his match report. ;)

typo amended - thanks.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby ST4GS » Sat May 11, 2019 3:16 pm

adamstag wrote:After the hard earned point on Thursday in looking forward to another 3 tomorrow

;)

3 points by my calculations will take us to 2nd position. If we win at Wembley can we catch Lincoln and be champions?
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sat May 11, 2019 3:22 pm

I really hope it doesn't go to extra time & penalties. 1-0 Stags
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat May 11, 2019 3:46 pm

adamstag wrote:After the hard earned point on Thursday in looking forward to another 3 tomorrow

;)

Spent the last week slagging flitcroft off ,and saying were chokers ,really you are a specimen
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Sat May 11, 2019 3:52 pm

spanishstag wrote:

;)

Spent the last week slagging flitcroft off ,and saying were chokers ,really you are a specimen

......and you are a sycophant !
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Sat May 11, 2019 3:58 pm

Salford cruising into the football league, another team with more money than fans.

They'll be a big spending pain in the arse next season if we don't go up. Which I'm sure we will. ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum