{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Away Shirts

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Away Shirts

Postby Upper West » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:28 pm

I never like it when teams change from their home shirts when there is no clash of colour. I also detest the black shirts.

We have played 21 away league matches this season and the breakdown is as follows

In amber shirts Played 11 Won 5 drawn 4 and lost 2 (Port Vale and County)

In green shirts Played 2 drawn 1 lost 1

In black shirts Played 8 won 1 drawn 6 lost 1. The game we won in black shirts was at Colchester when we were 2-0 down at half time.

In addition we have played 3 cup matches away all in amber with a win at Lincoln and defeats at WBA and Charlton.

Surely we must play the last 2 away matches in amber.
Upper West
First Team
First Team

Re: Away Shirts

Postby Club25Football » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:43 pm

Can I just note how ungodly awful the home shirts look with amber shorts? Makes the gradient look awfully awkward.

Manchester United and Spurs seem to have the same problem this season; gradients on the lower part of the shirt yet have to wear clashing shorts in Europe.
Club25Football
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Spiritater » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:10 pm

Away strip should be white
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:53 pm

There shouldn't be an "away strip". There should just be an change strip when there's a clash. I do believe that John Radford also isn't a fan of playing in the wrong colours unnecessarily.

Although it probably only causes a slight disadvantage on the field, it's a let down to the fans. I prefer to see all visiting sides play in their traditional strip as well - you want to know what team colours are, not have some random mixture thrown on.

I notice that even Man United were forced to wear some awful kit tonight, even though there appeared to be little clash.

The all-green Stags kit is one of the worst - a Stags player has to look up and remember that he needs to pass to someone in unfamiliar colours, and then try and spot a camouflaged colleague, all out of the corner of his eye in a quarter of a second!
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:21 am

But commercial interests rule the day ......why have one shirt when you can sell three to dedicated and devoted fans?
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Club25Football » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:14 am

Quite a few teams in Latin America change their home shirts twice a season (for the Apertura and Clausura schedule they have over there), so let's be thankful commercial exploitation hasn't gotten that far over here.... yet.

And even then, by my reckoning MTFC is one of just six clubs in the Football League that keep their kits for two seasons; the rest bins theirs every season to get a share of fans' holiday money.
Club25Football
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Club25Football » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:22 am

And before anyone asks, those teams are;

- Accrington Stanley
- Exeter City
- Forest Green Rovers
- Gillingham
- Ourselves
- AFC Wimbledon

With the addendum that FGR's current kits are kept for just this one season due to a disastrous change in supplier early this season; https://club25football.wordpress.com/2018/11/01/forest-green-rovers-2018-2020-home-shirt/
Club25Football
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kernow » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:31 am

The black kit is a nightmare at a night match.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby StagsFan83 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:02 am

I like that idea that all away kits should be white, and no home kit can be white.

It means everyone will focus on buying the actual club colours, and create a better atmosphere at home and more so away.

No kit clashes ever.

No robbing fans with 3rd and 4th choice kits!
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Club25Football » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:44 am

StagsFan83 wrote:I like that idea that all away kits should be white, and no home kit can be white.

It means everyone will focus on buying the actual club colours, and create a better atmosphere at home and more so away.

No kit clashes ever.

No robbing fans with 3rd and 4th choice kits!

Very American that, I think the NFL already adheres to that, whilst in the MLS 20 or so clubs out of 24 have a white away kit this season.

That being said, it would kill creativity and the association some clubs have with certain away colours.
Club25Football
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stoney » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:36 pm

I'm sure Leeds, Preston, Derby, Bolton, Tranmere etc. fans would love that idea.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:53 pm

I sponsor an away shirt, but would still prefer to see us wearing the home strip away from home if no colour clash.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:36 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:But commercial interests rule the day ......why have one shirt when you can sell three to dedicated and devoted fans?

I know that we're our own worst enemies when it comes to commercial interests, as this stuff sells despite annoying the traditionalists. It's OK having a variation on the amber and blue every season and it's OK having a variation on the change strip. So that's two you can buy each season - surely that's enough?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:41 am

I think we have it right that we change each kit every 2 seasons, so a new kit every year. I also hate the black shirts and have always thought our away kit should be white shirts, royal shorts, amber socks all with amber/blue trim. No green, no black, no chocolate and blue! I also completely agree regarding the gradient issue and I do not like our current home shirt for that reason.

However, as a 50 year old, I prefer a nicely fitting polo shirt, I just wish we did a decent one.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:22 pm

Rob wrote:I think we have it right that we change each kit every 2 seasons, so a new kit every year. I also hate the black shirts and have always thought our away kit should be white shirts, royal shorts, amber socks all with amber/blue trim. No green, no black, no chocolate and blue! I also completely agree regarding the gradient issue and I do not like our current home shirt for that reason.

However, as a 50 year old, I prefer a nicely fitting polo shirt, I just wish we did a decent one.

Whats wrong with chocolate and blue, our original colours and very decent they looked too, in fact that should be our away kit
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:33 pm

garlic wrote:
Rob wrote:I think we have it right that we change each kit every 2 seasons, so a new kit every year. I also hate the black shirts and have always thought our away kit should be white shirts, royal shorts, amber socks all with amber/blue trim. No green, no black, no chocolate and blue! I also completely agree regarding the gradient issue and I do not like our current home shirt for that reason.

Whats wrong with chocolate and blue, our original colours and very decent they looked too, in fact that should be our away kit

I liked the chocolate & blue.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:45 pm

Sneag wrote:
garlic wrote:

I liked the chocolate & blue.

Me too, one of the best kits we've ever had.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:13 pm

I liked the navy blue Away one we had 2001/2002 as well as this black one we currently have.

What would everyone class as our traditional away/alternate colour is ?

I know a lot of manyoo fans see there’s as blue.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:19 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:I liked the navy blue Away one we had 2001/2002 as well as this black one we currently have.

What would everyone class as our traditional away/alternate colour is ?

I know a lot of manyoo fans see there’s as blue.

We've had that many it's hard to say what would be regarded as 'traditional'.

All white with amber/blue trim would be my kit of choice.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:48 pm

Football teams should not be allowed to play in all black or all green shirts. These are colours for referees and goalkeepers. However I do think our black and gold shirts do look smart.

If we play against teams wearing amber, yellow or blue shirts then we could play in all white with amber/blue cuffs or trim with blue or white shorts and blue or amber socks.

Alternatively we could play in all red or fluorescent orange or lime green so the players can spot each other for a pass.

I also thought Stanty looked good in his green striped shirt and black shorts.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Upper West » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:14 pm

Curse of the black shirts again
Upper West
First Team
First Team

Postby wayno cordiniho » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:17 pm

So it continues....
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:40 pm

You can already predict we'll be playing in the away kit for mk dons.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:25 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:You can already predict we'll be playing in the away kit for mk dons.

Will not matter .All we have to do is win next Saturday and hope Colchester beat mk franchise and our goal difference will be enough . Forest Green would need to close at least a 9 goal better difference to overtake us .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:25 am

JR must be on holiday again as he said he preferred us to play in yellow away fro home.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum