{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Four to go

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Four to go

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:40 am

Rob wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:If we do not go up this season then it will be a failure based on the playing budget and support that DF has been given. However there would be no point in changing the manager again and I would give DF another go next season and review things around November time.

One thing I would be concerned about is that a lot of our fans were prepared to give DF some leeway at the start of the season as they enjoyed watching our new style of play. However this has dropped off a bit since the New Year so some fans may become more impatient. This will also happen if we become too defensive as Adam Murray discovered.

Budget only tells half the story at best.

I'm sure other teams have suffered too, but doubt they've had 4 of their biggest wage players draining the coffers dry for no return (Mirfs, Diamond, Ando & Butcher). Also doubt they've had 2 key players injured for half the season (Bobby & Hayden) & a fundamental strike option go missing (Davies).

Yeah we invested heavily in the transfer window, but again, paying up contracts probably bled some funds away.

No way have we had a top 3 budget to spend freely, more like top 7(ish). Based on that I think DF has amply achieved his remit, so far

Those arguing it would be a failure are those who wanted DF sacked after 12 games, it's hardly a surprise they are saying we are a failure if we don't go up and that they think we have a top 3 budget (which we may or may not have). They cannot see the bigger picture based on a predisposition of not rating the manager.

Excellent entertainment again yesterday, didn't hear any impatience Darren, none whatsoever and as for being defensive, I mean come on :lol:

It's only a failure if JR sees it as a failure - I'd imagine he has a vision of where he wants to be after so many years, maybe we're ahead of schedule, depends on JR really, not what we consider a failure.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:01 am

This is JR's eighth full season and when he started he thought we would have been in the Championship by now.

He also said that he could do what Doncaster did.

I am sure he would be mega disappointed if we didn't go up this season.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:18 am

JR has given Steve Evans and David Flitcroft the biggest playing budgets that any Mansfield managers have ever had. They have also had overnight stops and top training facilities paid for. JR does this because he does not want the managers to have any excuses. JR wants automatic promotion and would be massively disappointed if we do not go up as we all would. However he would probably stick with DF as manager and so would I.

It was a fantastic performance from the Stags yesterday and a much needed one as it gives us some momentum going into the last 3 games. It was probably our best performance since Bury at home. The point I was making was that many fans were prepared to give DF the benefit of the doubt early on in the season as our attacking style of play was good to watch. A good example was Oldham at home where we only drew 0-0 but still most fans enjoyed the game. However we have not seen too many exciting attacking performances since the New Year especially away from home where we have only really turned up at Exeter, Forest Green (1st half) and Colchester (2nd half) and that is why some fans start to get frustrated with DF especially bearing in mind the massive support he has been given by JR. Fans have also complained that we have sat back on one goal leads too much.

Anyway, let's leave all talk of success and failure until the end of the season. It's in our own hands now although I am worried about Monday's game for historical reasons. A win at Oldham would be massive.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:44 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:JR has given Steve Evans and David Flitcroft the biggest playing budgets that any Mansfield managers have ever had. They have also had overnight stops and top training facilities paid for. JR does this because he does not want the managers to have any excuses. JR wants automatic promotion and would be massively disappointed if we do not go up as we all would. However he would probably stick with DF as manager and so would I.

It was a fantastic performance from the Stags yesterday and a much needed one as it gives us some momentum going into the last 3 games. It was probably our best performance since Bury at home. The point I was making was that many fans were prepared to give DF the benefit of the doubt early on in the season as our attacking style of play was good to watch. A good example was Oldham at home where we only drew 0-0 but still most fans enjoyed the game. However we have not seen too many exciting attacking performances since the New Year especially away from home where we have only really turned up at Exeter, Forest Green (1st half) and Colchester (2nd half) and that is why some fans start to get frustrated with DF especially bearing in mind the massive support he has been given by JR. Fans have also complained that we have sat back on one goal leads too much.

Anyway, let's leave all talk of success and failure until the end of the season. It's in our own hands now although I am worried about Monday's game for historical reasons. A win at Oldham would be massive.

The best performance at home I have witnessed in many a year, even better quality football than the 6-1 Accrington massacre.
How we did not win that game 5-0 is beyond me as it was a total performance and a 90 minute battering, I came out of that game buzzing.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum