{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Team v Exeter

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Team v Exeter

Postby James » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:03 am

Forever Optimistic wrote:
laneymtfc wrote:http://www.mtfcmatters.co.uk/mm-blog/haunting-nightmares-stags-1-2-crewe

i agree with the team in here!

I agree with everything Craig says here!

We've waited years to play decent passing football, we finally do that & now we're chucking a defender up top because we're in bad form.......
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:08 am

laneymtfc wrote:http://www.mtfcmatters.co.uk/mm-blog/haunting-nightmares-stags-1-2-crewe

i agree with the team in here!

I posted on Craig's facebook page that Sweeney up front does not look like a good idea to me to start a game. He's been up for just about every set piece we've taken this season and got just one goal. At least Preston and Pearce have three goals each, but I wouldn't put them up front either.

The loss of Davies and Rose has hurt us I think, removing the plan B option, but putting the defenders up front to start a game won't help I don't think.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:08 am

Don't worry there will be overnight stop for this one so the boys will be fresh lol!
Guaranteed defeat after overnights and more embarrassing.
Drop Hamilton and Grant and play Tomlinson and Khan.

If we keep it less than 2 nil to Exeter we will have done well.
sorry to be negative but I think we can't turn it around its been setting in since county away defeat.
Not sure who to blame whether team or manager but Flitflop been doing some strange things and Logan in as a prime example and the love in with Grant and Hamilton coupled with one striker up front at home when we trying to stay in promotion hunt is baffling!!.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:32 am

Start all of our attacking midfielders
.............................Smith
............Sweeney Pearce Preston
.Hamilton..................................Benning
...........................Bishop
..................Grant Kahn Mellis
............................Walker
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:36 am

tillydog123 wrote:Don't worry there will be overnight stop for this one so the boys will be fresh lol!
Guaranteed defeat after overnights and more embarrassing.
Drop Hamilton and Grant and play Tomlinson and Khan.

If we keep it less than 2 nil to Exeter we will have done well.
sorry to be negative but I think we can't turn it around its been setting in since county away defeat.
Not sure who to blame whether team or manager but Flitflop been doing some strange things and Logan in as a prime example and the love in with Grant and Hamilton coupled with one striker up front at home when we trying to stay in promotion hunt is baffling!!.

I thought CJ started up front with Walker Saturday and only got moved around the pitch into different positions once Ajose joined Walker in the second half, don’t remember ever having 1 up front Saturday?

I don’t think many would not start with CJ yes he’s been very disappointing of late but I don’t see any options better than sticking with him at the moment

Personally I would not start Grant both him and Melli’s in midfield just doesn’t work and leaves Bish with too much work.

Tomlinson Bish & Melli’s looks a lot better to me especially away from home
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby Hjeldefan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:15 pm

I would change formation as this one clearly isn't working.
Smith
Jones Pearce Preston Benning
Tomlinson Bish
Khan Grant CJ
Walker
If I was limited to 5 at the back however...
Smith
CJ Preston Pearce Sweeney Benning
Bish Tomlinson
Grant Khan
Walker
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:19 pm

Agree Tomlinson should start alongside Bishop. Still much prefer Grant as the creative option to Mellis.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:28 pm

Smith/Logan
Jones, Preston, Pearce, Sweeney, Benning
Bishop, Tomlinson/MacDonald)
Mellis, Hamilton
Walker
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:46 pm

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or has he seriously suggested playing a CB up front?
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:16 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:Are my eyes playing tricks on me or has he seriously suggested playing a CB up front?

Just ridiculous. I know we’ve lacked a physical presence up top this year, but chucking a CB up top from the start is just daft (10 min to go desperate for a goal consider it yes). Seriously just imagine the reaction from fans if he did that and inevitably looks like a fish out of water.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:24 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:Are my eyes playing tricks on me or has he seriously suggested playing a CB up front?

Just ridiculous. I know we’ve lacked a physical presence up top this year, but chucking a CB up top from the start is just daft (10 min to go desperate for a goal consider it yes). Seriously just imagine the reaction from fans if he did that and inevitably looks like a fish out of water.

It would be worse then Adam Murray starting 7 defenders.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:31 pm

Apparently its a good idea.

You could write what Craig Priest knows about football on the back of a postage stamp.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby laneymtfc » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:52 pm

James wrote:

You could write what Craig Priest knows about football on the back of a postage stamp.

think its the opinions thing again isnt it, just cause we think its a good idea and you dont doesnt automatically make it a bad idea and thats the problem with this site instead of just discussing opinions you just disagree, an opinion doesnt have to be fact
laneymtfc
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:57 pm

James wrote:

We should go with the element of surprise and go with this if we’re planning on central defenders converting to CF’s all because we’ve hit a bit of a bad patch.

Would go with...

Benning
Walker Mellis Hamilton Bishop
Ajose Pearce Sweeney Turner
Logan Smith
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:59 pm

James wrote:

Didn't Ian Greaves do that away at Chesterfield in around 1988 when he put Simon Coleman up front, might have been in the FRT or LDV trophy though (I think he bagged a few goals too in a 3-1 win?)
Or is my memory playing tricks?
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:03 pm

Sweeney up front would be miles more effective than Ajose. Then again, so would a banana.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby laneymtfc » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:08 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:
James wrote:

We should go with the element of surprise and go with this if we’re planning on central defenders converting to CF’s all because we’ve hit a bit of a bad patch.

Would go with...

Benning
Logan Smith

Honestly this is proper funny :| is it possible to die from laughter? asking for a mate?
laneymtfc
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:09 pm

ST4GS wrote:
James wrote:

Didn't Ian Greaves do that away at Chesterfield in around 1988 when he put Simon Coleman up front, might have been in the FRT or LDV trophy though (I think he bagged a few goals too in a 3-1 win?)
Or is my memory playing tricks?

Yes Coleman started up front.

I don't think there is any need to belittle Craig, whether or not you disagree with his suggestion.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:18 pm

laneymtfc wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:
James wrote:

Would go with...

Benning
Logan Smith

Honestly this is proper funny :| is it possible to die from laughter? asking for a mate?

I don’t think you can die from laughter no, you’ll have to let us know :D
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:28 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Start all of our attacking midfielders
.............................Smith
............Sweeney Pearce Preston
.Hamilton..................................Benning
...........................Bishop
..................Grant Kahn Mellis
............................Walker

I hope not, that is one unbalanced team!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Surfingstag1 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:07 pm

I shall be at the game and would be delighted to see the team suggested by Capt Cunno
Plus a little fire in the belly!!!!!
COYS
Surfingstag1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:34 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:Sweeney up front would be miles more effective than Ajose. Then again, so would a banana.

Hey! Ajose has a fantastic 25%* record of scoring open nets for stags!

*Not an actual researched figure
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:56 pm

Last time I think this worked was away against Chesterfield in the Freight Rover Trophy, back in 1989 when a young Simon Coleman played up front and scored.

Sorry didn’t see the earlier reply. But one hell of a game and atmosphere that day.
Last edited by I am Spartacus on Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:04 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:

Last time I think this worked was away against Chesterfield in the Freight Rover Trophy, back in 1989 when a young Simon Coleman played up front and scored.

He was my old PE teacher!
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:28 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:Sweeney up front would be miles more effective than Ajose. Then again, so would a banana.

Hey! Ajose has a fantastic 25%* record of scoring open nets for stags!

*Not an actual researched figure

‘*Not an actual researched figure’ - brilliant. That phrase has to be up there with ‘from a reliable source’. I look forward to using in the future when needing to back up my half arsed theories with science.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum