{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Rough players in the middle of the park

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Rough players in the middle of the park

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:39 pm

....... i’ve been saying this all season, we lack a couple of rough midfielders in the middle of the park to do the dirty side of the game .....
We seem to only have a ‘plan A’ which is try to play pretty football, sometimes you have to get into these opposition players faces and play a bit more of a tough game.

Until Mr Flitcroft gets a couple of decent midfield attacking aggressive players we’re going to get turned over by poorer sides!!!

‘plan B’ needed!!
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Re: Rough players in the middle of the park

Postby Stoney » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:41 pm

Bishop and Tomlinson. We already have them
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:50 pm

Mellis needs to be dropped for Tomlinson, he's been a passenger for ages and Bishop is left to marshalling the midfield all by himself.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:52 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Mellis needs to be dropped for Tomlinson, he's been a passenger for ages and Bishop is left to marshalling the midfield all by himself.

Glad someone notices how poor Mellis is. A creative midfielder who never gets assists and rarely scores.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:53 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Mellis needs to be dropped for Tomlinson, he's been a passenger for ages and Bishop is left to marshalling the midfield all by himself.

Glad someone notices how poor Mellis is. A creative midfielder who never gets assists and rarely scores.

He was great at the start of the season, but the midfield looks completely unbalanced now. Mellis summed up today how he has been recently when he had all the time in the world to shoot and slipped straight on his arse.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:57 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:

He was great at the start of the season, but the midfield looks completely unbalanced now. Mellis summed up today how he has been recently when he had all the time in the world to shoot and slipped straight on his arse.

I'm surprised more players don't slip the amount of water they put on the pitch.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:10 pm

Family Von Trapp, why don’t you get some of the women you have been ‘wooing’ from Plenty of Fish to play in the midfield. Judging by those photos you show me they are the roughest looking things around!
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:10 pm

Mellis has lost it and has been poor since Jenuary, mind you, so have a few others.

On recent performances CJ wouldn't attract attention from any Football League side.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:11 pm

Mellis was our best player for about 5 games in a row until Grant came in. He's so much better with a free role in attacking midfield and with Bishop plus another grafter behind him. Get Tomlinson in pronto for Grant and set Mellis free again.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:20 pm

This ain't gonna be popular, but we have to drop Grant. For all his talent, his commitment is lacking, resulting in a poor contribution. I have never really rated Mellis but, to fair to him, his game is marred by having Grant alongside.

Tomlinson definitely deserves a place I. The starting eleven.

Tyler Walker looks like his heart ain’t in it. Big question mark over Ajosie and CJ went missing for most of the game (again).
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:10 pm

ParisStag wrote:Mellis was our best player for about 5 games in a row until Grant came in. He's so much better with a free role in attacking midfield and with Bishop plus another grafter behind him. Get Tomlinson in pronto for Grant and set Mellis free again.

Totally agree, for the first time ever :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:53 pm

The team is totally unbalanced as we have no-one who can play wide right. CJ must come onto the pitch wondering where he is going to start and finish, no wonder his form has dipped. And of course we have three number 10`s, excellent players but two are being played when one is required, so Bishop and Tomlinson in the centre, give CJ a rest and have Khan wide left, but who can play wide right is the real problem as Macca, Mellis and Grant all drift inside. Problem solving time for the manager.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:15 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:This ain't gonna be popular, but we have to drop Grant. For all his talent, his commitment is lacking, resulting in a poor contribution. I have never really rated Mellis but, to fair to him, his game is marred by having Grant alongside.

Tomlinson definitely deserves a place I. The starting eleven.

Tyler Walker looks like his heart ain’t in it. Big question mark over Ajosie and CJ went missing for most of the game (again).

Best move of the whole game was the perfectly weighted pass by Grant, and a superb cross by Walker which unfortunately was not finished by Ajose.
Grant is the most creative player we have got, Walker is our leading scorer, and Ajose is a quality player lacking in confidence and match fitness. Suggesting dropping all 3 is ridiculous and suicidal.
How anyone can suggest Walker's heart isn't in it is beyond me. Have you not noticed the effort he is putting in helping put in defence ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:51 pm

ParisStag wrote:Mellis was our best player for about 5 games in a row until Grant came in. He's so much better with a free role in attacking midfield and with Bishop plus another grafter behind him. Get Tomlinson in pronto for Grant and set Mellis free again.

I said we should have done this against Notts County and Port Vale and at half time today. Drop Jorge Grant and play Jacob Mellis in the hole where he can do some damage with his passing and be free from defensive duties. We have not had the same balance in midfield since Jorge Grant arrived. We've changed the shape of our side to suit him but he has unfortunately not delivered the goods.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:40 pm

Paul Green ran the show for Crewe in midfield today at the age of 35. It was a great battle between him and Neal Bishop.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:02 am

Hjeldefan wrote:

That might be the case at the moment but it was very noticeable on the CJ's 24th Birthday goals thread how many times Mellis assisted CJ. I agree with the majority on here, it isn't working with both him and Grant in midfield, DF has to sacrifice one and bring in Tomlinson to win the battle
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:35 am

People are missing the biggest factor of all

Hayden white is integral to the way we play. Its because of him we have lost the shape and balance
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:59 am

pemill wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:

That might be the case at the moment but it was very noticeable on the CJ's 24th Birthday goals thread how many times Mellis assisted CJ. I agree with the majority on here, it isn't working with both him and Grant in midfield, DF has to sacrifice one and bring in Tomlinson to win the battle

Absolutely. I’m not Mellis’s biggest fan, but he was performing quite well before Grant was imposed alongside him.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby spstag » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:19 pm

What about grant wide right
Drop CJ - Mellis
Grant wide right- middle 3 of Bishop Tomlinson macdonald-benning wife left front two of ajose and Walker ... that’s if we stick with Preston Pearce and sweeney at the back
spstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:08 pm

Drop Jorge Grant and play Jacob Mellis further forward (W7 D6 L2 - pre Jorge Grant, W6 D3 L4 - post Jorge Grant). Bring back Will Tomlinson (W2 L1) to play with Neal Bishop in the centre.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:52 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Drop Jorge Grant and play Jacob Mellis further forward (W7 D6 L2 - pre Jorge Grant, W6 D3 L4 - post Jorge Grant). Bring back Will Tomlinson (W2 L1) to play with Neal Bishop in the centre.

So who plays wide right, the position has been vacant since Hayden`s injury.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:11 pm

garlic wrote:So who plays wide right, the position has been vacant since Hayden`s injury.

I'd play Gethin Jones there as that is why we signed him. He played well at Crawley and was a bit unlucky to come off at half time against Crewe. He was playing reasonably well. Most of Crewe's threat was coming down their right when Paul Green was running off our midfield players and getting into the box. It nearly resulted in a goal.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:27 am

Grant still creates much more then Mellis for me. I'd change to

Smith

Benning Pearce Preston Sweeney

Grant Tomlinson Bishop Hamilton

Walker Ajose

Tomlinson and Bishop should win the central midfield battle and free the other 2 up . Means going back to a flat back four but should give us more up front.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:25 am

victor A block wrote:Grant still creates much more then Mellis for me. I'd change to

Smith

Benning Pearce Preston Sweeney

Grant Tomlinson Bishop Hamilton

Walker Ajose

Tomlinson and Bishop should win the central midfield battle and free the other 2 up . Means going back to a flat back four but should give us more up front.

Left footed centre back at right back? Or left footed left back at right back? I can't decide which way up to hold the phone. :D
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:37 am

Victor

Way wide of any logic, your side lacks midfield creativity.

Either Mellis or Grant have to be in there where they can do damage, Grant has been quoted as saying he doesn't like playing wide these days. Personally, I think he reckons he is better than he is.

Leave Gant on the bench and play Mellis, usual formation, three at back, four across the middle with Mellis slightly forward and Tomlinson alongside Bishop.

We need fighters and grafters now.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum