{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Initial Thoughts

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Initial Thoughts

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:41 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Typical Stagsnet always got to blame someone for a disappointing result. Yes it was a bad error, but he did some good things too. Also the ball should have been cleared before it got to Logan.

What about our toothless attack. How many shots did we have on target?

4, the same as them. He’s being blamed because he was to blame.

Keepers make mistakes. You are being harsh. It was more Benning's mistake. But otherwise Benning had a good game, so I'm not being harsh on him.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:42 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Typical Stagsnet always got to blame someone for a disappointing result. Yes it was a bad error, but he did some good things too. Also the ball should have been cleared before it got to Logan.

Keepers make mistakes. You are being harsh. It was more Benning's mistake. But otherwise Benning had a good game, so I'm not being harsh on him.

Never in a month of Sunday’s.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:46 pm

The turning point for me was when Walker didn't see / didn't pass to CJ who would have been in with only the keeper to beat, that could have sealed the game and the penalty wouldn't have mattered.

There were other situations too where we could have / should have passed when on a counter offensive.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:47 pm

Initial thoughts ? Deja vu. And Logan why?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:49 pm

Logan inspires ZERO confidence in his back four to come off his line and deal with anything, be it crosses or interceptions.

Which begs the question for me why the back four haven't learned by now simply not to trust him and just play the safe option and put their boot through it.

Benning should have taken the terrible decision making of Logan out of his hands and played safe.

Guaranteed to drop a clanger per game. Some he gets away with, most he doesn't.

People forget he got away with a major one in the 1-0 win away at Lincoln last season, because we nicked a 1-0 victory. It was 0-0 at the time and could have changed the whole complexity of the game then.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:01 pm

pemill wrote:The turning point for me was when Walker didn't see / didn't pass to CJ who would have been in with only the keeper to beat, that could have sealed the game and the penalty wouldn't have mattered.

There were other situations too where we could have / should have passed when on a counter offensive.

We thought at the time that he had seen him but there was a defender blocking the pass off. We may have been deceived by the angle but felt it was a deliberate decision not to cross
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:02 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Are you saying no one else was culpable and it was totally Logan's mistake?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:02 pm

Benning was chasing a ball towards his own goal and Logan had less than half the distance to cover than the Lincoln player. He shouldn't have to kick it for at best a corner and at worst an own goal, it was Logan's ball all day long. That's why Pearce doesn't trust him but unfortunately the rest of the defence haven't yet learned to give the opposition unnecessary set pieces.

Very disappointed with the result but still confident of a top three finish. Remember Lincoln may be top but we've beaten them once and drawn twice this season so we aren't doing too badly against them.

If we continue to play to that standard we will be promoted before the MK Dons game.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:06 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Are you saying no one else was culpable and it was totally Logan's mistake?

That’s exactly what I’m saying Andy.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:17 pm

I’ve watched the tv footage :

-there was no need for him to come out in the first place, Benning had it covered.
- Logan’s starting position was poor
- Benning made no gesture for Logan to come and get it until Logan had already set off.
- Even having been second to the ball, there was no need to foul, the toe poke was going wide and defenders were covering.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:27 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I’ve watched the tv footage :

-there was no need for him to come out in the first place, Benning had it covered.
- Benning made no gesture for Logan to come and get it until Logan had already set off.
- Even having been second to the ball, there was no need to foul, the toe poke was going wide and defenders were covering.

Normally he gets criticised for not coming out. Benning should have cleared it. Logan mistimed it and took the man out. A definite penalty. These things happen.

We need to get behind the team and not be so critical.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:31 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I’ve watched the tv footage :

Normally he gets criticised for not coming out. Benning should have cleared it. Logan mistimed it and took the man out. A definite penalty. These things happen.

We need to get behind the team and not be so critical.

Well he nearly gave them a goal before when he dropped a routine pass.

The problem being is he’s costing us too many points
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:34 pm

On a positive note, it was good to have Preston and Sweeney back, who were both immense along with Pearce. Flitcroft seems to be doing the ‘x is not fit for the next game then they are fit’ trick a lot. Best defence we’ve had in years, they deserved a clean sheet. Jones also played pretty well given some of the stick he has had.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:37 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:On a positive note, it was good to have Preston and Sweeney back, who were both immense along with Pearce. Flitcroft seems to be doing the ‘x is not fit for the next game then they are fit’ trick a lot. Best defence we’ve had in years, they deserved a clean sheet. Jones also played pretty well given some of the stick he has had.

Agree completely, MTFCM
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:46 pm

On another positive note we are 9 points clear of the 8th placed team with a superior goal difference.

That means they have to win 3 games and draw 1 game more than us to overtake us. We won't blow it this year and we will get promoted, just believe and stick together I expect a minimum of 16 points from our remaining games which will take us up.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:52 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:On another positive note we are 9 points clear of the 8th placed team with a superior goal difference.

That means they have to win 3 games and draw 1 game more than us to overtake us. We won't blow it this year and we will get promoted, just believe and stick together I expect a minimum of 16 points from our remaining games which will take us up.

It’s great we’re so clear of 8th.

However, I think if you asked the radfords what would be a successful season it would be promotion, obviously the playoffs if we can’t get the top 3.

We’ve now moved to a stage where the playoffs and not going up would be a failure, despite our finish.

We must do it, and we certainly can
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:53 pm

A possible upcoming distraction is the Forestieri court case which I presume Pearce will possibly be required for? Due to start next Thursday.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:58 pm

Time the show ponies were stabled. Mellis and Hamilton because they are bang out of form, and Grant for his petulance when brought off.
We can't keep playing with a one man midfield, and Tomlinson and MacDonald should both start on Saturday, with Ajose replacing Hamilton. We have to battle through this drop in form, and have the character to do it. Unfortunately, i'm afraid the three that started tonight, don't have enough of that quality, to see us over the line.
Also, if we persist in playing Conrad, we need to have scored more than one goal, as he has a least one clanger per game,which has cost us at least 4 points already this season.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:02 am

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:15 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Logan will keep costing us as I’ve said countless times, same as the reverse fixture last year. Flitcroft is to blame as well for dropping Smith who has barely put a foot wrong. Don’t forget the fumble in the six yard box under zero pressure which could easily have cost us prior to the penalty.

Smith's injured. A mate of mine saw him last Thursday night at Nottingham Arena watching the darts. He's got a problem with his knee.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:29 am

Mellis was playing a different game in the first half, amazed he came out for the second, Tomlinson should have been on for him far earlier to steel it up a bit, that said, last twenty minutes he finally got going and by then we were already under pressure.

Hamilton terrified of getting injured I reckon, maybe looking for that move in the summer but we won't get much for him if he stays that lightweight. Never attacks the ball, always waits for the bounce. You'd think first priority is attack it and get a foot on it. Not much you can do though when your other option is Ajose and I've nearly scored as many times as he has in 3 years and I've had far less games.

Grant needs to be dropped, can't afford a luxury player when we need to fight.

Logan was OK, made some good stops and got his knuckles to two dangerous crosses under loads of pressure. Was unfortunate and will always be the scapegoat but he's kept some clean sheets as well through the season.

Bishop was phenomenal. He must come off that pitch wondering why the rest of the midfield are terrified of putting a tackle in. It's desperate to watch when you rely on a guy of that age so much. Terrific performance again, in the tackle, in the air, chases everything. Player of the season.

All in all, take away who the opposition were and you'd take a point against the top side who have been clear for months at this stage. It's about beating the lower teams now and battling through those sorts of games. Something we've struggled with of late, but I think we're still looking good for the top three.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby adamstag » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:39 am

Given we’ve matched MKs result it’s not bad at all.

However, they’re at home to Yeovil on Saturday, so you’d expect them to win (though so did we!) so a win on Saturday for us is equally vital

After that MK have
Forest green away, Lincoln at home, tranmere away, Notts county away fighting for their lives playoff chasing Colchester away then us.

Our fixture list is considerably easier.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:08 am

did Grant dive?

from the QLE looked like one
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:13 am

yorkshire stag wrote:did Grant dive?

from the QLE looked like one

We was certainly caught, just went down too easy after that.

By the letter of the law it was a penalty. In reality he made a meal of it, though the booking was a tad harsh
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:15 am

Great atmosphere and a good game, a draw was the right result. Back 3 and The Bish were terrific but as many have said Logan and Grant had poor nights. DF again showed what a good manager he is, taking Grant off which helped as we were being over-run in midfield. Lincoln are a very good side, a product of sustained investment and stable management. Just love big night games at Field Mill.
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum