{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Youngsters released?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Youngsters released?

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:47 pm

jpstags wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
steve-hymas wrote:I’ve spoken to a couple of the lads up at the RH academy and they know nothing about it .
With the lads frozen out by the manager it’s very difficult for the lads confidence .i spoke to Zayn and he has had an ankle problem for a little while but says he is fine now .We have a striker shortage and to me he ticks all the boxes .Big strong and fast.If he were languishing in the reserves at a championship club he would stand a chance .But hey ho is one of ours so not deemed good enough. :roll:

For someone with such an important role in a professional club, I don't find it right you post on a fans message board spouting such tripe. It's not at all professional and can't imagine a director at any other club doing so. I know how passionate you are but leave it off here and focus on the club.

As for being frozen out... They're kids. Are you suggesting the manager risks promotion for the sake of giving minutes to kids over players the chairman has invested heavily in??!

And for being good enough, that's the managers decision and I back him. I've been around the set up at Derby and it's streets ahead of ours and the recruitment is top notch. I'll use Timi as an example, he's played in premier League 2 quite comfortably and got Derby in and around the top 3 of a very good league with the likes of Chelsea, city and united. Can you honestly say any of our kids are even close to his quality? Timi at present is only good enough for League two, so where does that leave our kids standard at?

I've seen most of our youth lads and they look and play like boys, not men. The manager is clearly trying to bring the youth through, gibbens, Smith, Graham, law and all the others he played in the cup game. Just because he's not picking the few players you think will do well DOES NOT mean they are being frozen out, in fact that's such a ludicrous statement and nasty dig at a manager who's doing really well.

If you're bitter the training ground isn't up to scratch yet and those professional footballers would rather play on actuall grass than wow who ever is responsible for the players having to train on 4G needs sacking. When I was at Derby the first team was strictly banned from going near it and could only do incredibly light work on the indoor like stretching and jogging/ bit of passing when the weather was bad. We used to play staff matches after work at moor farm and was always told, "an ambulance will takes 25 minutes".

As no hunger in paradise proves, most youth setups are failing kids and it's not the managers fault.

Do you ever post on here without harping back to the time when you worked at Derby bloody County ?
Maybe SH would be better off not posting his thoughts on here especially when most can't see any wrong in Flitcroft, just remember there is a lot that goes off behind the scenes that you don't know about .....

Didn’t know he’d worked at derby...he’s never mentioned it before.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:49 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
steve-hymas wrote:I’ve spoken to a couple of the lads up at the RH academy and they know nothing about it .
With the lads frozen out by the manager it’s very difficult for the lads confidence .i spoke to Zayn and he has had an ankle problem for a little while but says he is fine now .We have a striker shortage and to me he ticks all the boxes .Big strong and fast.If he were languishing in the reserves at a championship club he would stand a chance .But hey ho is one of ours so not deemed good enough. :roll:

For someone with such an important role in a professional club, I don't find it right you post on a fans message board spouting such tripe. It's not at all professional and can't imagine a director at any other club doing so. I know how passionate you are but leave it off here and focus on the club.

As for being frozen out... They're kids. Are you suggesting the manager risks promotion for the sake of giving minutes to kids over players the chairman has invested heavily in??!

And for being good enough, that's the managers decision and I back him. I've been around the set up at Derby and it's streets ahead of ours and the recruitment is top notch. I'll use Timi as an example, he's played in premier League 2 quite comfortably and got Derby in and around the top 3 of a very good league with the likes of Chelsea, city and united. Can you honestly say any of our kids are even close to his quality? Timi at present is only good enough for League two, so where does that leave our kids standard at?

I've seen most of our youth lads and they look and play like boys, not men. The manager is clearly trying to bring the youth through, gibbens, Smith, Graham, law and all the others he played in the cup game. Just because he's not picking the few players you think will do well DOES NOT mean they are being frozen out, in fact that's such a ludicrous statement and nasty dig at a manager who's doing really well.

If you're bitter the training ground isn't up to scratch yet and those professional footballers would rather play on actuall grass than wow who ever is responsible for the players having to train on 4G needs sacking. When I was at Derby the first team was strictly banned from going near it and could only do incredibly light work on the indoor like stretching and jogging/ bit of passing when the weather was bad. We used to play staff matches after work at moor farm and was always told, "an ambulance will takes 25 minutes".

As no hunger in paradise proves, most youth setups are failing kids and it's not the managers fault.

Spot on Sedgwick.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:39 am

I don't know Steve, but I think we should give him a bit of slack. Like all of us, he is a supporter of the club. Therefore he has every right to post his opinions on this board. Also unlike most of us he doesn't use a pseudonym which he could easily do. Maybe, some officials at MTFC also post on this board using a pseudonym , although I don't know if they do or not. It should also be remembered that Steve got back to the club to greatly help the youth set up and by all accounts it is doing very well, plastic pitches apart. As he is so connected with the youth set up, he is bound to be protective towards them. Ok I too detect a little criticism towards DF, but compared to the criticism given on here to DF towards the end of last season it's very mild.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:56 am

Amber Andy wrote:I don't know Steve, but I think we should give him a bit of slack. Like all of us, he is a supporter of the club. Therefore he has every right to post his opinions on this board. Also unlike most of us he doesn't use a pseudonym which he could easily do. Maybe, some officials at MTFC also post on this board using a pseudonym , although I don't know if they do or not. It should also be remembered that Steve got back to the club to greatly help the youth set up and by all accounts it is doing very well, plastic pitches apart. As he is so connected with the youth set up, he is bound to be protective towards them. Ok I too detect a little criticism towards DF, but compared to the criticism given on here to DF towards the end of last season it's very mild.

He is a director of MTFC. In no way shape or form should he be posting these views about the manager on a fans forum.

Fair enough if he believe that DF has frozen youth team players out but share these at a board meeting rather than on here.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Paulstag » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:24 am

I think that now My Hymas has made his statement he should now quantify it by letting us all know which player(s) he would drop to get his youngster(s) in.
Paulstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby m1cksut » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:31 am

i too think that steve hymas should not voice his concerns or criticisms on here, it just gives the various idiots on here a licence to be abusive towards DF.
if he has those concerns he should take it up with JR and DF, and not norman, M1cksut and spiriteater etc!
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:02 am

m1cksut wrote:i too think that steve hymas should not voice his concerns or criticisms on here, it just gives the various idiots on here a licence to be abusive towards DF.
if he has those concerns he should take it up with JR and DF, and not norman, M1cksut and spiriteater etc!
I would think he does make his views known through official channels.

You are being a little harsh. I also don't think it gives "licence to be abusive towards DF". There was plenty of that last season when he didn't get us promoted. My guess is there will be more of the same thing if he doesn't get us promoted this season.

Also how do you know other "officials" of the club are not posting in the names that you have quoted in your post ? Very unlikely, but possible.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby m1cksut » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:17 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
m1cksut wrote:i too think that steve hymas should not voice his concerns or criticisms on here, it just gives the various idiots on here a licence to be abusive towards DF.

You are being a little harsh. I also don't think it gives "licence to be abusive towards DF". There was plenty of that last season when he didn't get us promoted. My guess is there will be more of the same thing if he doesn't get us promoted this season.

Also how do you know other "officials" of the club are not posting in the names that you have quoted in your post ? Very unlikely, but possible.

well, because at least one of them is me, and i am pretty sure i am not a club official.
norman is , well, norman, and spiriteater is a little too apathetic to be a club official.
my point remains, if the idiots see steve appearing to diss DF then they will think it is ok for them to do it also.
as a director, unless he is going to give chapter and verse, he should not make allusions like he did, with thinly veiled criticism of DF.
he may not like him: he may LOATHE him; but that should stay between them, and the club, and not flaunted around on a message board.
just my two bobs worth.
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:31 pm

m1cksut wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

well, because at least one of them is me, and i am pretty sure i am not a club official.
norman is , well, norman, and spiriteater is a little too apathetic to be a club official.
my point remains, if the idiots see steve appearing to diss DF then they will think it is ok for them to do it also.
as a director, unless he is going to give chapter and verse, he should not make allusions like he did, with thinly veiled criticism of DF.
he may not like him: he may LOATHE him; but that should stay between them, and the club, and not flaunted around on a message board.
just my two bobs worth.
Yes and you are entitled to your "two bob's worth. But do you really think the "idiots" as you call them are motivated by what Steve posts ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:31 pm

Everyone would love to see our youth flourish as we storm up the league, with our young starlets firing in the goals to push us over the line.

Unfortunately it's a huge risk and rarely happens. I think Steve's opinion is just that, an opinion. I'd prefer it done behind closed doors though.

We'd all love another Lawrence, Dis, Leeroy, etc era, but that was a situation forced upon us rather than by choice. DF will live and die by results, and it's up to him to field the best side each game where possible. That said, I'd home of we're 2-0 with 15 mins to play he could consider it sometimes. If it failed then he'd have every justification not to repeat it
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:41 pm

That's why the 1 sub must be homegrown rule came in. Forcing clubs to use their kids in a matchday squad. If we are coasting with time left it enables clubs to give the kids match experience.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:39 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Spot on Sedgwick.

Correct. keep in house not here
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:28 pm

Too many snowflakes around these days. If Steve wants to have his say on here that's what it's here for. I think it's quite refreshing to see.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:32 pm

Dan wrote:Too many snowflakes around these days. If Steve wants to have his say on here that's what it's here for. I think it's quite refreshing to see.

You honestly feel that someone publically having a dig at one of his employees is refreshing?

You've been spending too much time at County mate, their unprofessionalism is starting to rub off on you!

As for a snowflake :lol: :lol: :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:37 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Dan wrote:Too many snowflakes around these days. If Steve wants to have his say on here that's what it's here for. I think it's quite refreshing to see.

You honestly feel that someone publically having a dig at one of his employees is refreshing?

You've been spending too much time at County mate, their unprofessionalism is starting to rub off on you!

Not one of his employees though is he? Steve is a Stags fan like the rest of us, he's got a right to an opinion just like we all have. There's too much of this 'ooo you can't say that' raspberrys around these days & it really pisses me off.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:42 pm

i agree with Dan here, we are very lucky to have a board member come on here and tell it like it is, bloody refreshing and well done Steve
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:12 pm

Steve's opinion shouldn't be on here when it's a clear dig at the manager and could provoke disharmony whilst we're pushing for promotion. His opinion is that Zayn Hakeem should be playing in the first team because he's 'big, strong and fast'. So is Matt Preston, lets stick him up front. It's also in direct contradiction to the opinion of the youth players, according to other posters on here. Are you telling me than young lads are openly dissenting to not getting in the first team of the third best team in the league, especially a striker when we have one of the leagues top scorers, and another big name striker on the bench?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:43 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Steve's opinion shouldn't be on here when it's a clear dig at the manager and could provoke disharmony whilst we're pushing for promotion. His opinion is that Zayn Hakeem should be playing in the first team because he's 'big, strong and fast'. So is Matt Preston, lets stick him up front. It's also in direct contradiction to the opinion of the youth players, according to other posters on here. Are you telling me than young lads are openly dissenting to not getting in the first team of the third best team in the league, especially a striker when we have one of the leagues top scorers, and another big name striker on the bench?

So let's just get this right, you are telling us what Steve Hymas opinion is ???
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:38 pm

Dan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Not one of his employees though is he? Steve is a Stags fan like the rest of us, he's got a right to an opinion just like we all have. There's too much of this 'ooo you can't say that' raspberrys around these days & it really pisses me off.

So Steve Hymas isn't on the board of directors? The same board of directors that appoint managers? Whether he gets a say in the appointment of managers is irrelevant he is still a director.

What Steve said is unprofessional. There is no denying that.

Flitcroft picks the side, he's given a broad selection of our kids their debuts this season than any other manager in 15+years. We are looking to be promoted, we need players with experience in this league or higher. I'm happy with how the youth has been handled so far this season.

I think Steve just wants an ego massage when one of the kids from the youth setup gets to be the hero (I believe he is involved in youth as director) why else would he deem a player who has a few months worth of non league experience as a solution to our current striker shortage?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:46 am

What is the solution to our striker crisis ? To try and find an out of contract striker or promote a striker who has played in the reserves? I think Henderson was the last striker we had who we signed out of contract. Surely it wouldn't hurt for someone like Zayn to be involved with the first team and given a place on the bench for two weeks whilst Walker faces his ban. Or do we spend money on wages for an out of contract striker until the end of the season who may only be needed for two weeks. We have already given contracts to two out of contract players. So maybe this time we should look towards the youth we already have. I can fully see why Steve is frustrated.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:48 am

He can be a frustrated as he likes but as a director he should not be airing his frustration in a public forum.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:13 am

I thought we had run with a small squad all season ,to get some of the up and coming youth players round the squad .There has not been many games when a youth team player has not been on the bench. Watching other teams come here it’s not often you see a youth team player come on.
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:37 am

Its probably like any other workplace in the country ,people have different ideas of how to get results ,its probably quite healthy really ,better than hearing from posters on here saying ive heard so and so is unhappy about this and that but at the end of the day DF picks the team
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:50 am

Sedgwick wrote:

The arrogance of people in and around some of these cat1 academies is shocking, hence your reaction Sedgwick. Pride, passion and commitment count as much as talent. I would sooner see a law over Elsnik and hakeem over sterling James, they grow up with a desire to play for MTFC and you know you will get 100%. Have to say some of these mercenaries and young lads you see like Anderson, elsnik don’t give a damn about our club and as a result you don’t get the same commitment, passion as a youth teamer of your own. Also it’s the way a club like ours will make money in the future, we need to develop the talent we have. We ain’t going to make no money out of elsnik and Anderson
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:11 am

Frontrowhero wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

The arrogance of people in and around some of these cat1 academies is shocking, hence your reaction Sedgwick. Pride, passion and commitment count as much as talent. I would sooner see a law over Elsnik and hakeem over sterling James, they grow up with a desire to play for MTFC and you know you will get 100%. Have to say some of these mercenaries and young lads you see like Anderson, elsnik don’t give a damn about our club and as a result you don’t get the same commitment, passion as a youth teamer of your own. Also it’s the way a club like ours will make money in the future, we need to develop the talent we have. We ain’t going to make no money out of elsnik and Anderson

I can see both sides of this debate.

However, what IS the point in investing in a youth development structure that isn’t likely to bring talent to the first team?

It seems to me that, if the management see no value in development, then why all the involvement with Brooksby and, recently, the money invested by JR and SH in creating the RH facility?

I think we ALL want to see kids coming through, but they HAVE to be good enough. I guess we just have to trust DF and his team to make the judgement calls.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum