{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Youngsters released?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Youngsters released?

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:53 pm

I’ve heard that quite a few of our youngsters have been released due to lack of funds although they are still playing for the reserves. Anyone else heard anything? The names I’ve heard are Teddy Bloor, Cameron Healey, Kane Baldwin & Sam Wilson & there’s more apparently. I always thought they were good players so this is quite disturbing if true especially with what we’ve been paying Anderson.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Re: Youngsters released?

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:57 pm

I thought Teddy Bloor was supposed to be worth keeping an eye out for.

Maybe Mr Hymas could confirm the situation.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:01 pm

Lack of funds ???? I find that hard to beleive
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:19 pm

If it's felt that they're not going to impact the first team then there's no point in having them kicking their heels. They'll not be on much and would be better off in full time work using the qualifications they got while in the Academy. Of all the lads that try to make it in the pro game 95% don't. Talked to young Morgan (can't remember his 2nd name) a few weeks back and as good a player he was in our YT by his own admission he said he wasn't good enough to make it but he'd had a real blast anyway. Doing a degree in Accountancy in the US now and will be probably better off in the long run than kicking his heels at lower/non League level.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:34 pm

the sad fate of 98% of YTS footballers, we really are due a little gem by now int we?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:45 pm

Spiritater wrote:Of all the lads that try to make it in the pro game 95% don't.

Make it 99%.

As always, the next generation are coming through so some of the young lads inevitably have to make way to create some space for the cream of the next crop to come along.

Alistair Smith, Tom Fielding, Riley O'Sullivan and Jimmy Knowles all did well today.

What's happened to Zayn Hakeem?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:56 pm

Sad truth about youth teams... Most age groups have one hopeful player and maybe one or two others that might make it. The rest of the squad is simply there for the couple the club is hopeful on to play with they have no future in football, it's almost like a production line. And with our youth recruitment policy of getting other teams cast offs it's highly unlikely we'll develop that many players.

There's a great doc on bt about it and some clubs like Brentford packed in their academy because it just wasn't worth all the money to then maybe sell one player
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:00 pm

Michael Calvin wrote an excellent book called No Hunger In Paradise about the academy system which BT turned into a documentary.

He's also written excellent books about football scouts (The Nowhere Men) and football managers (Living On A Volcano).
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Julian » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:18 pm

Just finished "The Nowhere Men". An insightful yet ultimately very sad book.
Julian
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:30 pm

It does make you think that 95% of youngsters that don't make is a high number. considering a footballers career is short in the scheme of things, there has to be a flow of young coming through to replace those retiring/slipping down the leagues.

I suppose many get released that work their way back up the pyramid or... come from abroad.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:36 pm

Young players tend to filter down the leagues with the odd few like Neal Bishop and Ryan Sweeney working their way up. Look at Mansfield's team:

Bobby Olejnik (released by Aston Villa)
Conrad Logan (released by Leicester City)
Jordan Smith (on loan from Nottingham Forest)
Hayden White (released by Bolton Wanderers)
Mal Benning (released by Walsall)
Ryan Sweeney (started at AFC Wimbledon)
Krystian Pearce (released by Birmingham City and Notts County)
Matt Preston (released by Walsall)
Neal Bishop (started at Billingham Town)
Jacob Mellis (released by Chelsea)
Alex MacDonald (released by Burnley)
CJ Hamilton (released by Sheffield United)
Otis Khan (released by Manchester United)
Jorge Grant (on loan from Nottingham Forest)
Tyler Walker (on loan from Nottingham Forest)
Danny Rose (released by Barnsley)
Nicky Ajose (released by Manchester United)
Craig Davies (released by Manchester City)
Jordan Graham (released by Leicester City and Oxford United)

Sam Clucas (released by Leicester City and Lincoln City)
Jamie Vardy (released by Sheffield Wednesday)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:01 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Young players tend to filter down the leagues with the odd few like Neal Bishop and Ryan Sweeney working their way up. Look at Mansfield's team:

Bobby Olejnik (released by Aston Villa)
Conrad Logan (released by Leicester City)
Jordan Smith (on loan from Nottingham Forest)
Hayden White (released by Bolton Wanderers)
Mal Benning (released by Walsall)
Ryan Sweeney (started at AFC Wimbledon)
Krystian Pearce (released by Birmingham City and Notts County)
Matt Preston (released by Walsall)
Neal Bishop (started at Billingham Town)
Jacob Mellis (released by Chelsea)
Alex MacDonald (released by Burnley)
CJ Hamilton (released by Sheffield United)
Otis Khan (released by Manchester United)
Jorge Grant (on loan from Nottingham Forest)
Tyler Walker (on loan from Nottingham Forest)
Danny Rose (released by Barnsley)
Nicky Ajose (released by Manchester United)
Craig Davies (released by Manchester City)
Jordan Graham (released by Leicester City and Oxford United)

Sam Clucas (released by Leicester City and Lincoln City)
Jamie Vardy (released by Sheffield Wednesday)

And not forgetting that we only got Liam Lawrence when he was released by Forest at 15/16 years old after being there since age 10/11.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:29 pm

I wonder if these lads have been released, so that they may sign for Retford?

I would assume that with Radford owning Retford, there is more than likely going to be a link-up at some point where we could loan youngsters to them to help them go up the pyramid. However I would also assume that there would be a limit on the amount of loan players they could have from a single club? Us releasing a few opens up the possibility for them to go there on their books, but also be signed back by us if they do well and reach their potential?

Just a guess..
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:42 pm

Still not confirmation and Teddy Bloor was rocking the full stags training kit in costa coffee today.

Think it may not be true.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:49 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:Still not confirmation and Teddy Bloor was rocking the full stags training kit in costa coffee today.

They’re still playing for us but have been told they can leave. You should’ve asked him
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:58 pm

Dan wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:Still not confirmation and Teddy Bloor was rocking the full stags training kit in costa coffee today.

They’re still playing for us but have been told they can leave. You should’ve asked him

Are they playing for free then given the lack of funds comment ? Or just been told there not being kept on once contracts are up ?
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:01 am

MTFCMAD wrote:
Dan wrote:

Are they playing for free then given the lack of funds comment ? Or just been told there not being kept on once contracts are up ?

The latter I believe.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Marco van Sherpa » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:52 am

Just answering a few of the points raised above. Teddy Bloor's been out of action because he's been suffering from a bout of glandular fever. Zayn Hakeem is currently injured and so is Nyle Blake, who tweaked his hamstring in the recent Reserves game v Morecambe. I have spoken with all three of these players at the two most recent Reserves games, where they had turned up to watch their teammates in action.
As a step 7 non league side, the FA wouldn't allow Retford United to sign any of the Stags Academy lads (nor would Retford FC, who are a completely different side to the one that John Radford has invested in).
And finally, any speculation about there being a lack of funds for player development, is purely inaccurate conjecture.
I am sure that the names of any players who are coming up to the end of their time at Mansfield Town, will be announced officially at the end of March.
WITH A ROCKSTEADY BEAT
Marco van Sherpa
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:54 am

Thanks Rob
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:01 pm

Marco van Sherpa wrote:Just answering a few of the points raised above. Teddy Bloor's been out of action because he's been suffering from a bout of glandular fever. Zayn Hakeem is currently injured and so is Nyle Blake, who tweaked his hamstring in the recent Reserves game v Morecambe. I have spoken with all three of these players at the two most recent Reserves games, where they had turned up to watch their teammates in action.
As a step 7 non league side, the FA wouldn't allow Retford United to sign any of the Stags Academy lads (nor would Retford FC, who are a completely different side to the one that John Radford has invested in).
And finally, any speculation about there being a lack of funds for player development, is purely inaccurate conjecture.
I am sure that the names of any players who are coming up to the end of their time at Mansfield Town, will be announced officially at the end of March.

Glandular Fever can finish a sporting career. Lee Sharpe had it and I’ve had it and it nearly finished me off. Nasty stuff.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:17 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Marco van Sherpa wrote:Just answering a few of the points raised above. Teddy Bloor's been out of action because he's been suffering from a bout of glandular fever. Zayn Hakeem is currently injured and so is Nyle Blake, who tweaked his hamstring in the recent Reserves game v Morecambe. I have spoken with all three of these players at the two most recent Reserves games, where they had turned up to watch their teammates in action.

Glandular Fever can finish a sporting career. Lee Sharpe had it and I’ve had it and it nearly finished me off. Nasty stuff.

Thought it was the booze that did for Sharpe? :lol:

But aye, glandular fever isn't fun
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:12 pm

adamstag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

Thought it was the booze that did for Sharpe? :lol:

But aye, glandular fever isn't fun

That as well :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby steve-hymas » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:17 pm

I’ve spoken to a couple of the lads up at the RH academy and they know nothing about it .
With the lads frozen out by the manager it’s very difficult for the lads confidence .i spoke to Zayn and he has had an ankle problem for a little while but says he is fine now .We have a striker shortage and to me he ticks all the boxes .Big strong and fast.If he were languishing in the reserves at a championship club he would stand a chance .But hey ho is one of ours so not deemed good enough. :roll:
steve-hymas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:40 pm

Contentious stuff :shock:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:42 pm

steve-hymas wrote:I’ve spoken to a couple of the lads up at the RH academy and they know nothing about it .
With the lads frozen out by the manager it’s very difficult for the lads confidence .i spoke to Zayn and he has had an ankle problem for a little while but says he is fine now .We have a striker shortage and to me he ticks all the boxes .Big strong and fast.If he were languishing in the reserves at a championship club he would stand a chance .But hey ho is one of ours so not deemed good enough. :roll:

Steve you used the phrase ` frozen out ` , which suggests the manager is not one bit interested in cultivating the current youth set up. If this is true then surely it is a massive backward step as the youth team has to become the source for the future backbone of the team. Could you please clarify what is the position as to promoting youth team prospects into the first team.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum