{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lost only 5 games all season

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Lost only 5 games all season

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:55 am

gazza1988 wrote:Anybody else feel we've been missing something in midfield ever since Bish has been 1 yellow away from a 2 game ban? He's got 4 more games to go until it gets wiped and then he's 6 yellows away from a ban.

The problem with CJ is he will hug the line and be in acres of space on the opposite side of the pitch but doesn't make his team mates aware. He needs to be more vocal.

Either he will be picked out by a pass or will pull another player out to him. The reason we seem swamped in midfield is because we have a player on his own out wide. I just wish he would make the team aware that he's an option. It's easy for fans to see it because we have an almost "top down" view of the pitch, in the dugout and on the pitch it is harder to spot just how much space he actually is in.

Or he could do a Liam Lawrence and come infield, get involved and make things happen????
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:25 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Anybody else feel we've been missing something in midfield ever since Bish has been 1 yellow away from a 2 game ban? He's got 4 more games to go until it gets wiped and then he's 6 yellows away from a ban.

The problem with CJ is he will hug the line and be in acres of space on the opposite side of the pitch but doesn't make his team mates aware. He needs to be more vocal.

Either he will be picked out by a pass or will pull another player out to him. The reason we seem swamped in midfield is because we have a player on his own out wide. I just wish he would make the team aware that he's an option. It's easy for fans to see it because we have an almost "top down" view of the pitch, in the dugout and on the pitch it is harder to spot just how much space he actually is in.

Or he could do a Liam Lawrence and come infield, get involved and make things happen????

Or he could be following his instructions from his manager and we know what happens when you don’t do what the manager tells you to do.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:29 am

part time pete wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Or he could be following his instructions from his manager and we know what happens when you don’t do what the manager tells you to do.

Sad state of affairs then Peter :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:43 am

Through Flitcrofts ambition to continually improve, he has bought in 'better players', at the detriment of the team.

We were looking like a strong team pre January Window, now we look like a bag of bits and pieces.

Midfield somehow looks out of kilter, now Mellis' role has changed. CJ looks disrupted since Ajose has dislodged him as Walker's strike partner.

It's all very worrying.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:15 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:Through Flitcrofts ambition to continually improve, he has bought in 'better players', at the detriment of the team.

We were looking like a strong team pre January Window, now we look like a bag of bits and pieces.

Midfield somehow looks out of kilter, now Mellis' role has changed. CJ looks disrupted since Ajose has dislodged him as Walker's strike partner.

It's all very worrying.

Can't disagree with any of that, unfortunately :cry: .
:mtfc:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:37 am

1974-1975 W28 D12 L6 (Champions)
1985-1986 W23 D12 L11 (3rd)
1991-1992 W23 D8 L11 (3rd) (Maidstone and Aldershot went bust)
2001-2002 W24 D7 L15 (3rd)
2018-2019 W15 D13 L5 (currently 3rd)

We could still beat or match the 1974-1975 side for fewest number of defeats in a season although we might not get to 23/24 wins
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:24 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Through Flitcrofts ambition to continually improve, he has bought in 'better players', at the detriment of the team.

It's all very worrying.

You see that, I see that but Martin's "fag packet" stats say different.
We'll shall see after the season ends, I think Martin's PPG ratio will change if the current tactics persist.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:27 pm

I agree that our midfield has been unbalance by the departure of Elsnik and the arrival of Grant. Don't get me wrong, Grant is a far better player, but he is a luxury off the ball. I've said from the first time I saw Grant that him and Mellis could not play together against the better sides and it seems to be working out that way. The stats may not say so yet, but the eye test does.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:30 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:1974-1975 W28 D12 L6 (Champions)

We could still beat or match the 1974-1975 side for fewest number of defeats in a season although we might not get to 23/24 wins

Missed one TTF

1976-77 W28 D8 L10 (Champions) we had a 5 game winless streak in that season including a 0-4 drubbing at Trannere. Plus a 2-5 humiliation in the cup at home to Matlock.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:35 pm

I was just concentrating on League 2 (Division 4) Sneag.

We do seem to like finishing 3rd when we get promoted from League 2 (Division 4) :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:26 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I agree that our midfield has been unbalance by the departure of Elsnik and the arrival of Grant. Don't get me wrong, Grant is a far better player, but he is a luxury off the ball. I've said from the first time I saw Grant that him and Mellis could not play together against the better sides and it seems to be working out that way. The stats may not say so yet, but the eye test does.

We lost the midfield battle against Notts Co (along with every other area of the park). I think we probably would have been better off with Bishop and Tomlinson (rather than Mellis) up against Doyle and O'Brien.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:21 pm

Yes Tomlinson should play this Saturday at some stage if Mellis and Grant not working out again.

Mellis as posted recently not always the best when things not going well in the game.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:30 pm

Agree on the midfield issue. I don't know much about Tomlinson, but a fully fit Macca might be a better partner for Bish and give Grant the freedom he needs.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:36 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:1974-1975 W28 D12 L6 (Champions)

Maidstone went bust and resigned just before the start of the 1992-93 season. Aldershot were thrown out in mid-March 1992 and even without Aldershot leaving the FL we had been promoted as we actually played both games against the old Aldershot club and won both (3-0 at home, 3-1 away)
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:51 pm

Jamie wrote:Agree on the midfield issue. I don't know much about Tomlinson, but a fully fit Macca might be a better partner for Bish and give Grant the freedom he needs.

On first glace (based on seeing him at newport) Tomlinson is a younger version of Bishop and I believe brought in to be his long term replacement when he hangs up his boots.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:20 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:
Jamie wrote:Agree on the midfield issue. I don't know much about Tomlinson, but a fully fit Macca might be a better partner for Bish and give Grant the freedom he needs.

On first glace (based on seeing him at newport) Tomlinson is a younger version of Bishop and I believe brought in to be his long term replacement when he hangs up his boots.

Because they're both blond or because they're both northern?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:40 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Stags 2002 wrote:

Because they're both blond or because they're both northern?

Both are tough no nonsense tackling midfielders. In addition to being blonde and northern :lol:
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:50 pm

Weve had 2 defeats on the bounce ,but both against teams on the rise ,newports home record is brilliant ,nutts was a derby game and they were on a roll ,but prior to that we were doing the stuff ,maybe not brilliantly ,but more than adequately , fgr at home is a test ,but one that we should pass ,cant see what all the negativity is based on ,jorge grant is a breath of fresh air ,and were more than capable of getting a run going
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:01 pm

spanishstag wrote:Weve had 2 defeats on the bounce ,but both against teams on the rise ,newports home record is brilliant ,nutts was a derby game and they were on a roll ,but prior to that we were doing the stuff ,maybe not brilliantly ,but more than adequately , fgr at home is a test ,but one that we should pass ,cant see what all the negativity is based on ,jorge grant is a breath of fresh air ,and were more than capable of getting a run going

Nobody is being negative about Jorge, at least I'm not, he is a fantastic player, the best we've had in years. But you can't argue he needs to be accommodated as he doesn't do the defensive running, and therefore in this system you need to have two workhorses, or one player who does nothing but sit in front of the back four. Whilst Bish is a defensive minded midfielder, he's not a static one, he breaks out of central midfield to press quite often. When the other two midfielders are not runners, that is an issue.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:55 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
spanishstag wrote:Weve had 2 defeats on the bounce ,but both against teams on the rise ,newports home record is brilliant ,nutts was a derby game and they were on a roll ,but prior to that we were doing the stuff ,maybe not brilliantly ,but more than adequately , fgr at home is a test ,but one that we should pass ,cant see what all the negativity is based on ,jorge grant is a breath of fresh air ,and were more than capable of getting a run going

Nobody is being negative about Jorge, at least I'm not, he is a fantastic player, the best we've had in years. But you can't argue he needs to be accommodated as he doesn't do the defensive running, and therefore in this system you need to have two workhorses, or one player who does nothing but sit in front of the back four. Whilst Bish is a defensive minded midfielder, he's not a static one, he breaks out of central midfield to press quite often. When the other two midfielders are not runners, that is an issue.

Maybe then we need to start with Tomlinson instead of Mellis in order to accommodate Grant?
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:07 pm

It's not the time to making rash changes. It would be a massive gamble to replace Jacob Mellis who has made 173 (56) league starts with Willem Tomlinson who has yet to make a league start. Let's stick with the players who got us to 2nd place in the league.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:36 pm

All that was needed was a replacement for White
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:44 pm

Vice President wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Maybe then we need to start with Tomlinson instead of Mellis in order to accommodate Grant?

Or maybe Grant could do some work tracking back a bit??
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby groundhoppingstag » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:59 pm

When Mellis plays well, so do Mansfield.
groundhoppingstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:45 am

And to think last season Mellis "couldn't complete 2 games in a row" or whatever Evans spouted.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum