{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Was walker pushed or was it a dive?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Was walker pushed or was it a dive?

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:23 pm

I'm a little surprised that not a lot has been made of the possible penalty late in the second half.

Walker appeared to me to be squarely pushed in the back when chasing what was probably a lost cause. He went down and the very impartial referee (tongue in cheek) waived play on.

Although I don't think we deserved anything from the game and it would have been very soft, it appeared from my view a clear penalty. Mr Mason had been giving far less obvious fouls all day long so I wonder why he didn't give this one. He appeared to have a clear view and interestingly didn't book Walker.

I would be interested to see the incident in Martin's highlights as I would like to see it again and see if my assessment of the ref is correct.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Re: Was walker pushed or was it a dive?

Postby Rigsby » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:19 pm

Highlights !!??
Rigsby
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby pemill » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:55 pm

The shirt pulling incident(s) on CJ are the ones that riled me most, particularly one in the first half. It was completely ridiculous he didn't get a free kick. We probably wouldn't have scored from it but that's not the point.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:27 pm

Someone could have taken Walkers legs off with a chainsaw yesterday & Mason would have looked the other way.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:34 pm

Bishop went down in the second half on the edge of county’s box. He was claiming a foul but the ref gave county a free kick for the dive. No yellow though for bish so if it wasn’t a dive how come a free kick was given..I may have saw it wrong from where I was..?
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:42 pm

CassellsCap wrote:Bishop went down in the second half on the edge of county’s box. He was claiming a foul but the ref gave county a free kick for the dive. No yellow though for bish so if it wasn’t a dive how come a free kick was given..I may have saw it wrong from where I was..?

I think it was given as offside which would account for no card. There was certainly an incident when that happened but obviously I'm not sure if it's the one that you refer to.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:44 pm

Sneag wrote:Someone could have taken Walkers legs off with a chainsaw yesterday & Mason would have looked the other way.

.... and it wouldn’t have made Walker play any worse ;)
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:22 pm

CassellsCap wrote:Bishop went down in the second half on the edge of county’s box. He was claiming a foul but the ref gave county a free kick for the dive. No yellow though for bish so if it wasn’t a dive how come a free kick was given..I may have saw it wrong from where I was..?

I think he gave it for handball as Bish grabbed the ball (assuming the ref had, or was about to blow for the obvious foul committed on him)
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:00 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:

I think he gave it for handball as Bish grabbed the ball (assuming the ref had, or was about to blow for the obvious foul committed on him)

Oh I see , couldn’t tell from where we sat
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:56 pm

CassellsCap wrote:
HitchcocksShins wrote:

Oh I see , couldn’t tell from where we sat

Yes spot on, Bishop had an attempt at replicating some of the Olympic style diving Doyle had been getting away with. But he was wearing yellow so the ref had none of it by which time he'd grabbed the ball.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby frt1987 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:25 pm

One rule that I really dont get...

We took a throw in from the wrong place and were penalised by conceding possession.

County took a corner from the wrong place (the ball wasnt in the corner sector) but then were allowed to retake the corner!

Again nothing that would have changed anything yesterday but its just a little annoying rule!
frt1987
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:36 pm

frt1987 wrote:One rule that I really dont get...

We took a throw in from the wrong place and were penalised by conceding possession.

County took a corner from the wrong place (the ball wasnt in the corner sector) but then were allowed to retake the corner!

Again nothing that would have changed anything yesterday but its just a little annoying rule!

Not only was it taken from the wrong place but the county player gave the linesman a right gob full for quite some time. It was clear dissent and he kept going back at the linesman. He should have been booked.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:24 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:

I'm going through the game again this evening from both cameras (couldn't find the energy to do it this morning). It wasn't a foul on Bishop I don't think, nor was it a dive. Ref gave a free kick for handball as Hitchcocks Shins says.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:46 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I'm a little surprised that not a lot has been made of the possible penalty late in the second half.

Walker appeared to me to be squarely pushed in the back when chasing what was probably a lost cause. He went down and the very impartial referee (tongue in cheek) waived play on.

Although I don't think we deserved anything from the game and it would have been very soft, it appeared from my view a clear penalty. Mr Mason had been giving far less obvious fouls all day long so I wonder why he didn't give this one. He appeared to have a clear view and interestingly didn't book Walker.

I would be interested to see the incident in Martin's highlights as I would like to see it again and see if my assessment of the ref is correct.

I'm including the incident from both cameras in my highlights for iFollow (should be loaded tomorrow morning). You'll be able to make your own mind up.

You can watch the incident now on iFollow from the main camera only, at 82 minutes in the full match replay with my commentary, where in real time I said I thought he was fouled.

This is my description,which others may disagree with:

On 82 minutes, Walker went down just inside the area as he headed for the byline on the right, under pressure from behind from Barclay. From studying the video from both cameras, there is the gentlest of pushes from Barclay and the slightest hint that Walker’s heel is clipped, but I think it would have been generous to award a penalty.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:53 pm

Thanks Martin

All I will say is a push is a push and a clipped heal is a clipped heal. I'm sure The ref gave fouls against us for similarly innocuous incidents so should have given this. He sets the standard of contact he will tolerate and should stick with them.

As I said earlier we didn't deserve anything from the game but I don't think it adds to the ref's reputation.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:25 pm

I seem to recall Hamilton trying to cross the penalty area to get to a pass but hampered by the defender hanging from his shirt. It seems that shirt pulling isn't regarded as a foul this season but surely there should be a rule against holding in these circumstances?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby nightstag » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:58 pm

What's this, national straw clutching day???

You were beaten fair and square and could have easily have had 3 players sent off.

Just for the record, the BBC site shows Mansfield committed 21 fouls and Notts committed 6,

Time to grow a pair and admit you were beaten on the day by a better team.

When we get beaten by you, (as we often do), we at least have the grace to say so.
nightstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Bradders » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:08 pm

nightstag wrote:What's this, national straw clutching day???

You were beaten fair and square and could have easily have had 3 players sent off.

Just for the record, the BBC site shows Mansfield committed 21 fouls and Notts committed 6,

When we get beaten by you, (as we often do), we at least have the grace to say so.

What part of "we didn't deserve anything from the game" did you fail to understand?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:27 pm

Spectacularly rubbish post.

I don't think there is a single Stags fan that I have seen that says on here, or anywhere else such as facebook or twitter, that the Stags deserved anything from the game.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby chip63 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:01 am

Read the match day report on this site from an absolute Mansfield supporter
( and I'm sure it hurt to write it )
Well done on your 1 win against us but I will take us being third and you still being bottom of the league.
Your very lucky to have Yeovil unable to buy another 8 players in the transfer window.
The only thing you couldn't buy in the transfer window was John and Carolyn Radford.
I'd rather be a stag than a nott
:coys: :coys: :mtfc: :mtfc: :coys: :mtfc: :mansfield_till_i_die: :mansfield_till_i_die: :drummer:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:44 am

Oh yes there's a long history of Notts accepting defeat to Stags with good grace. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:25 am

Did your lot say grace before smashing up the North Stand toilets?
Playing like we did Saturday we would have got beaten by all 23 teams in league 2 and many in the leagues below.
Good teams like Bury, Exeter, MK Dons, Carlisle would have massacred us by a 3 or 4 goal margin.
Notts County played well obviously and deserved their victory but probably could not believe their luck at our ineptness.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:49 am

Football was the loser on Saturday as there wasn't much played by either side. On this one occasion we played less than county did and we were miles behind in the part that is unfortunately degrading the game more and more. I am referring to confidence. Not the level of self esteem but confidence tricks which had this referee fooled from the very start.

I honestly don't think the stats were a true reflection and am sure that if anyone else had refereed the game they would have been much closer.

That said we deserved nothing from the game which was played at conference standards both tactically and physically. We allowed ourselves to resort to hoof ball which clearly we were never going to win. Neither side created reasonable chances apart from the goal and as an example of good football the game was well down the league.

Despite the county fan's optimism, I saw nothing on Saturday which suggested to me that you will escape the drop as the best thing you displayed was effort and determination. A half reasonable team would have scored against you but we didn't have a clue. Yes you will probably get plenty of draws but it is wins that you need and you won't get them against teams that play a similar 'style'

Enjoy the conference (if you don't go bust first) and you may get the privilege of being the newest football league club in about 5 to 8 years time.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:58 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby london amber stag » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:00 pm

You should have battered us on Saturday, you didn’t. That was our worst performance of the season, all Stags fans agree with this, so your above statement is puzzling. I would much rather be third than rooted to the foot of the EFL. Glad you enjoyed your win, now get back to focusing on your relegation battle.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum