{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Search on for a new striker

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Search on for a new striker

Postby Chadman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:17 pm

Stags would love to find a free agent as cover for Rose (and Graham) and are actively searching for one, but Flitcroft admits it's a long shot at this time of the year . . .

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... -1-9590546
Chadman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:02 am

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:43 pm

Jay Simpson
Paul Taylor

Are both free agents....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
User avatar
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3245
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:56 pm

Has anyone seen a lot of Tyrese Sinclair? Seems to score all the time for the U18's and has scored today for the reserves. I know he's only 18 but is he physically developed like Graham?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby part time pete » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:17 pm

Tyrese is a very slim lad.
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 5800
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:58 pm

part time pete wrote:Tyrese is a very slim lad.

Hopefully slim enough for the defenders not to notice him.
:lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2810
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:42 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Has anyone seen a lot of Tyrese Sinclair? Seems to score all the time for the U18's and has scored today for the reserves. I know he's only 18 but is he physically developed like Graham?

He had a storming game at Bournemouth in the FA Youth Cup. He's a small player with tremendous technique, and a superb free kick on him. I think he's got a big future.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 18655
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby spstag » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:11 pm

16 year old lad (forget name) made his debut for WBA against Brighton other night
If your good enough etc ..
he looked real quality btw
spstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby tibby » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:23 pm

Can teams not cross other club’s palm with silver as a sweetner to release players to enable then to become a free agent?
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1262
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:30 pm

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby part time pete » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Only allowed to sign free agents if they were a free agent on 31st January
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 5800
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby tibby » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:07 pm

Ok thanks
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1262
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:30 pm

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:09 pm

Jay Simpson would be worth a shot for free
Sedgwick
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1389
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:01 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby oldweststander » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:55 pm

As DF says, finding a player who is anywhere near fit wil be difficult.

Apparently, if they come in half fit the step up in training is likely to result in nigling injuries.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2893
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby Stagsfan11 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:17 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Jay Simpson would be worth a shot for free


Signed for Leyton Orient
Stagsfan11
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:41 pm

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:54 pm

Taylor could do a job for us until the end of the season
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby Spiritater » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:03 pm

luke beckett
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 19706
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:35 am

We had two strikers out injured for the rest of the season before the injury to DR. We needed to sign a striker rather than another midfielder.

Not only are we down on the number of strikers available but we don't have a striker who is good enough in the air. I accept that isnt a key part on the way we play, but I think it is an outlet every team should have.

I think this is a concern for us now. Finding an out of contract striker good enough will be difficult.

I remember AM bringing in an out of contract striker when he was manager ( his name escapes me ). He had scored goals in the top leagues and played for the likes of Nottingham Forest. He looked to be a good signing but he failed to score goals.

I think the failure to sign another proven striker in the recent transfer window could cause us to falter.

I accept hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5579
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby Spiritater » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:47 am

Amber Andy wrote:We had two strikers out injured for the rest of the season before the injury to DR. We needed to sign a striker rather than another midfielder.

Not only are we down on the number of strikers available but we don't have a striker who is good enough in the air. I accept that isnt a key part on the way we play, but I think it is an outlet every team should have.

I think this is a concern for us now. Finding an out of contract striker good enough will be difficult.

I remember AM bringing in an out of contract striker when he was manager ( his name escapes me ). He had scored goals in the top leagues and played for the likes of Nottingham Forest. He looked to be a good signing but he failed to score goals.

I think the failure to sign another proven striker in the recent transfer window could cause us to falter.

I accept hindsight is a wonderful thing.


Henderson.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 19706
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby tibby » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:51 am

How about Giles Barnes?

Or Barry Corr :lol:
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1262
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:30 pm

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:27 am

Spiritater wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:We had two strikers out injured for the rest of the season before the injury to DR. We needed to sign a striker rather than another midfielder.

Not only are we down on the number of strikers available but we don't have a striker who is good enough in the air. I accept that isnt a key part on the way we play, but I think it is an outlet every team should have.

I think this is a concern for us now. Finding an out of contract striker good enough will be difficult.

I remember AM bringing in an out of contract striker when he was manager ( his name escapes me ). He had scored goals in the top leagues and played for the likes of Nottingham Forest. He looked to be a good signing but he failed to score goals.

I think the failure to sign another proven striker in the recent transfer window could cause us to falter.

I accept hindsight is a wonderful thing.


Henderson.
Thanks Spiritater, that's the guy.

Seemed to be a good signing at the time, but proved otherwise.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5579
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby Sneag » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:21 am

Spiritater wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:We had two strikers out injured for the rest of the season before the injury to DR. We needed to sign a striker rather than another midfielder.

Not only are we down on the number of strikers available but we don't have a striker who is good enough in the air. I accept that isnt a key part on the way we play, but I think it is an outlet every team should have.

I think this is a concern for us now. Finding an out of contract striker good enough will be difficult.

I remember AM bringing in an out of contract striker when he was manager ( his name escapes me ). He had scored goals in the top leagues and played for the likes of Nottingham Forest. He looked to be a good signing but he failed to score goals.

I think the failure to sign another proven striker in the recent transfer window could cause us to falter.

I accept hindsight is a wonderful thing.


Henderson.


Scored against the Skunks.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
User avatar
Sneag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7806
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:41 pm
Location: King Solomon he never lived `round here

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby Stag on the Beach » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:07 pm

We've got Ajose, Walker and Hamilton plus loads of attacking midfielders. I don't think it's critical that we get another one in.
User avatar
Stag on the Beach
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:44 am
Location: Vendée, France

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:41 pm

Stag on the Beach wrote:We've got Ajose, Walker and Hamilton plus loads of attacking midfielders. I don't think it's critical that we get another one in.

Maybe not critical but not ideal to have less than four strikers when you play two up front. And CJ is not a striker imo so we are short in that area.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2810
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby Billy the fish » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:36 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Stag on the Beach wrote:We've got Ajose, Walker and Hamilton plus loads of attacking midfielders. I don't think it's critical that we get another one in.

Maybe not critical but not ideal to have less than four strikers when you play two up front. And CJ is not a striker imo so we are short in that area.


If we were to lose Walker for a length of time I think we will struggle , keep Grant , CJ , Ajose, walker all fit we will be fine but back up is now needed just in case the worse case scenario happens ..
User avatar
Billy the fish
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:02 pm

Is Davis out for the season ?
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Search on for a new striker

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:17 pm

Stag on the Beach wrote:We've got Ajose, Walker and Hamilton plus loads of attacking midfielders. I don't think it's critical that we get another one in.

None of which are effective in the air. I wouldn't describe CJ as a striker.

We are definitely short and need someone.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5579
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1951stagsfan, gazza1988, hucknall stag, ironbru, sw19stag, teg41, yorkshire stag and 48 guests