{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Whatever Happens Now

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Whatever Happens Now

Postby ParisStag » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:02 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:Not much sign of apathy on the occasions of away days at Notts, Chesterfield & Lincoln. It’s a shame that some of this “swell” support seems never to be interested in the “bread and butter” fixtures. Mind you, some of them are hardly there for the football, are they?

How many times is this going to be talked about on here? It's boring. Everyone knows the reasons. Most people choose 3 or 4 away games at the start of the season as that's all they can get to. Obviously three y choose the big ones. They're more fun than home games. Not rocket science is it?
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:21 pm

ParisStag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:Not much sign of apathy on the occasions of away days at Notts, Chesterfield & Lincoln. It’s a shame that some of this “swell” support seems never to be interested in the “bread and butter” fixtures. Mind you, some of them are hardly there for the football, are they?

How many times is this going to be talked about on here? It's boring. Everyone knows the reasons. Most people choose 3 or 4 away games at the start of the season as that's all they can get to. Obviously three y choose the big ones. They're more fun than home games. Not rocket science is it?

I wouldn’t argue with people picking 3 or 4 away games. That’s fine. All I am saying (and I am deeply sorry if this bores you PS) is it would be good if some of them would attend a few more games at the Wonk - where the income actually benefits the club.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:19 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

I wouldn’t argue with people picking 3 or 4 away games. That’s fine. All I am saying (and I am deeply sorry if this bores you PS) is it would be good if some of them would attend a few more games at the Wonk - where the income actually benefits the club.

Those people who go to those away games do go to games st the Wonk. It's not the same 4,000 at every home game you know.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:29 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

Your talking like we’re about to take double our home Support to Notts.

It’s not the case. We’re currently getting on average 4100 Mansfield fans through the gates and that’s not including the Away fans.

We will sell the 3900 at Notts just like we sold the 1600 at Lincoln. After all there Local derbies.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:32 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

I reckon there are probably quite a few like me who go to about 15 home games and 3 or 4 away games in a season.

And I'm pretty sure its not just me that's bored by the dozens of posts like this one Edders.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby m1cksut » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:10 pm

yesterdays attendance at colchester, about 3500, 3100 home fans, apathy from a top 6 clubs fans?
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:56 pm

ParisStag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

I reckon there are probably quite a few like me who go to about 15 home games and 3 or 4 away games in a season.

And I'm pretty sure its not just me that's bored by the dozens of posts like this one Edders.

I think our fans are great - and I especially respect those that regularly attend away games (and NOT just the “glamour” ties) in addition to their staunch support at home. I am LESS respectful of the (relatively) small number of morons that just attend the “biggies” for a bit of a bust-up.

I will rest my opinion on this now as I don’t want to bore you any more!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:26 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

I think our fans are great - and I especially respect those that regularly attend away games (and NOT just the “glamour” ties) in addition to their staunch support at home. I am LESS respectful of the (relatively) small number of morons that just attend the “biggies” for a bit of a bust-up.

I will rest my opinion on this now as I don’t want to bore you any more!

A bust up? When was the last time you saw a fight at one of these games? I haven't seen one for years. They're there for the derby atmosphere and I don't blame them, it's better than at other games. There are two ways of looking at it.
One is: We only have 4000 regular fans, where are all these extras coming from? They aren't real fans.
The other is: We have an extended fan base that isn't regular, but make for cracking atmospheres 4-6 times a year and the growing number of regular fans is also great.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:51 pm

If we are getting 4,000 home fans and we take 4,000 to Clownty, why are people assuming that a vast number of them are "once a year" fans.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Uncle » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:01 am

I believe that posters are looking at this from an unrealistic viewpoint. In my opinion the big games are are about showing the local rivals " This is us. Little noisy neighbour, scab (Chesterfield's view) Mansfield. Here we are representing our TOWN.. Count us".
Why do League 1/2 teams go to Play Off finals with anywhere between 12 and 25 thousand FANS when they only get 4,000 for league games? Second point, Society has changed. Take a look a round at the vast number of ladies at Stags matches these days, both home and away. They're there in numbers which is a world away from the 70' and 80's. How many school kids were at games when you started going compared to these days? Probably ten times as many. We should be thankful that they're being directed towards going to watch Stags in the first place.
Don't blame the Mansfield public. No spare cash to play with. £22 tickets OR £24 if you turn up on the day when they can get to watch Premier League fakes for £15 a month without leaving the house. When we were younger no one had heard of Juventus, Paris St Germain of Borussia Dortmund OR maybe football is not something that forms a part of their free time entertainment. Simples. People have got technology to lose themselves in these days and as someone mentioned, Colchester attracted about 3,100 locals for their big promotion match last Saturday. More people will start coming when Stags football at the Mill becomes a "can't miss" attraction for them.
Uncle
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:43 am

I started watching the Stags in December 67 and watched 6 years without missing a home game up to summer 73 when I went to Germany for 20 years and lost contact and then got tempted away by rugby union at Leicester Tigers when I eventually returned to the UK in 95.

I rejoined two years ago as a season ticket holder and so pleased I did and am in awe of those of you who have still been going all the years I didnt and especially those who go to all away games as well.......thats simply the bedrock on which small clubs like ours are built.

I would just like to add that having not missed a single home game since I renewed I am unable to go to away games as a single guy with pet committments that cant be left for more than the time I can get to, and spend at, home games......so yes Im going to Notts County because I can but thats all I can do.....just saying that some people have even more retrictions than I do with work , family, child committments at a aweekend.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:02 am

I reckon we've got about 15,000 fans, by which I mean people who will say 'Mansfield' when asked who they support and actively look for news, results, etc, and go to games.
About 6000 of them live locally and regularly go to home games games, 3000-5500 of them per game. For a play-off final, we'd get 15,000 - probably 12,000 fans and a few extras.

This has probably gone down from the 70s and 80s when we got 20,000+ at Wembley and the 60s where we got that at home. Playing mostly in the bottom division since the start of the 90s, as well as the Haslam years has helped that. There might be some other factor in the years between 1987 and 2004 that explain the difference in turnout at a final, but I don't know what it is. Just 'saying' apathy demonstrates an unwillingness to really understand it.

What is clear though is that things can change. They have done before. We can go back to having big crowds with success on the pitch. Like with every other club in the country, this is what happens.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum