{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stags and politics article

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stags and politics article

Postby ParisStag » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:12 am

Saw this online today, an article about the club, the town and its politics.

https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/ ... ue_of_lads
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Re: Stags and politics article

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:32 pm

Great little read about Brexit, football and the Right.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:16 pm

Yeah, it's decent. Not quite sure what link he's trying to make between far-right football fans and Brexit in a town where almost everyone voted Leave, not just angry 50-something white men. A far broader range of demographics in Mansfield wanted Brexit. There may have been more of a case for arguing the link between Meale, Haslam, the club and a protest vote among fans, but I'm still not convinced that that represents a significant impact on the overall Leave vote. Maybe the article should just be seen as a snapshot of the town and the political climate of the time, in which case, it's pretty good.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:34 pm

Another article here but very much Mansfield based

http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/90393/1/Kaldor ... d_2018.pdf
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Field Mill » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:40 pm

You could of course argue that the Town has form in siding with the far right. After all, they sided with lady Thatcher over the pit strike. That said, I don't think there's anything right wing about wanting to be out of Europe. Mansfield, like many post industrial places voted leave to lash out at the political elites and their thirty years of 'centre ground' policies which translates as rapacious free market capitalism and the subsequent destruction of the UK manufacturing base.
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ParisStag » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:44 pm

part time pete wrote:Another article here but very much Mansfield based

http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/90393/1/Kaldor ... d_2018.pdf

Very interesting. Thanks.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:25 pm

Field Mill wrote:You could of course argue that the Town has form in siding with the far right. After all, they sided with lady Thatcher over the pit strike. That said, I don't think there's anything right wing about wanting to be out of Europe. Mansfield, like many post industrial places voted leave to lash out at the political elites and their thirty years of 'centre ground' policies which translates as rapacious free market capitalism and the subsequent destruction of the UK manufacturing base.

Here we go, another person claiming to know why 1000s voted the way they did. I'm from Mansfield, voted leave and for none of those reasons.

If you're going to make sweeping generalisations, at least acknowledge it as your opinion.

My opinion is uncontrollable immigration, with the backdrop of struggling public services and housing shortages etc was the main reason people voted leave. No one I've spoken too had much of a problem with rules, capitalism or anything else from the EU. Like me, they just don't see how you can be 'the' place to migrate to and have unmetered immigration.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:30 pm

Field Mill wrote:You could of course argue that the Town has form in siding with the far right. After all, they sided with lady Thatcher over the pit strike. That said, I don't think there's anything right wing about wanting to be out of Europe. Mansfield, like many post industrial places voted leave to lash out at the political elites and their thirty years of 'centre ground' policies which translates as rapacious free market capitalism and the subsequent destruction of the UK manufacturing base.

Wasn't just Mansfield whose vote was a cry for help. It's a fair assertion to make that MTFC and the Radfords are doing jobs of the council and local MP.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:33 pm

Jamie wrote:

Here we go, another person claiming to know why 1000s voted the way they did. I'm from Mansfield, voted leave and for none of those reasons.

If you're going to make sweeping generalisations, at least acknowledge it as your opinion.

My opinion is uncontrollable immigration, with the backdrop of struggling public services and housing shortages etc was the main reason people voted leave. No one I've spoken too had much of a problem with rules, capitalism or anything else from the EU. Like me, they just don't see how you can be 'the' place to migrate to and have unmetered immigration.

Ever thought why people want to migrate to the UK? Who controls the planning, construction and mortgage industry, etc.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:42 pm

Just a feeling I've got but I can't see this thread lasting long on here and it being moved to the Potllics forum, especially when whiffy gets his teeth into it. ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:51 pm

Not a bad post but always goes back to the miners strike and the fact we get called scabs. Some of us never worked during the strike but others went back for their own individual reasons...it’s past history and we move on together as Mansfield supporters.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:59 pm

Spiritater wrote:Just a feeling I've got but I can't see this thread lasting long on here and it being moved to the Potllics forum, especially when whiffy gets his teeth into it. ;)

Whiffers has no opinion on Mansfield he lives in Hampshire. ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:17 pm

I was the person quoted in the article who worked with Tony Evans to give him a little insight - I thought it was going to be a bit more of a 'why have people in Mansfield voted Brexit' type article than one that links working class football fans and politics, and saw my chance to put a few records straight, but I don't think it affected the end result.

What I was attempting to get across was that Mansfield in the last 40 years had a very big role in the country's prosperity, we powered the country through coal, our hosiery industry clothed the women and when you went out night the pint you drank had our name on it. Why wouldn't you be proud to say that you were from Mansfield? We were even partly responsible for the dance music boom in the 90s with Renaissance being conceived in Mansfield.

Over the last 40 years this has gradually eroded; the pits closed (they were always going to), the intertwined engineering business closed, the hosiery factories closed (they were always going to) and the brewery closed - not only did the brewery close but the charred remains of the body is still there as a warning. The manufacturing spine went out of the area and with it went a large part of our reason to be proud of the area and our identity, and that is why the football club is increasingly more important to the identity of the area - at least we have that, and our league status, and a ground that isn't out of town and plastic. After an era when you could point to why we were different the industry was razed to the ground and we were spat out into an increasingly globalised world with no discernible features remaining, and nothing to set us and our inhabitants apart from other similar sized identikit provincial towns with exactly the same ring-roads, out of town retail parks and education and training - you're exactly the same as Chesterfield, as Stoke, as Wakefield, as Doncaster. Competing with Shrewsbury for a call-centre on the graves of our old pits. The only thing that has changed is that they've made the roads wider so that people can get out quicker. No-one ever asked anyone from Mansfield whether they wanted to compete with Shrewsbury for a call centre - they just took our industry and expected us to do it.

Our area had mass local immigration before immigration was trendy, miners coming from all over the country to help mine coal - Ollerton is testament to that, in the 60s and 70s loads of miners from the North East and Scotland coming down to work there and then staying and their kids had kids. There were loads of Polish working there in the 80s too. Immigration is welcomed in times of prosperity, in times when there's enough work to share around, Mansfield welcomes you to share our prosperity - I voted Remain but was saying that Mansfield is no more anti-outsiders than anywhere else, so don't come trying to make out that the leave vote was all because of outsiders. The town voted Leave because successions of governments have steam rollered over us despite how we've voted, took our vote for granted and changed absolutely nothing for us, the economy was already knackered for us before the credit crunch came along, and austerity made it worse - all of that just gave it the sense of having something to blame it on. When actually we would always have been ignored.
Last edited by Marky Mark on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Debbie dingles legs » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:26 pm

People voted out due to mass immigration and the open border policy don’t make out they didn’t
Debbie dingles legs
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:11 pm

Bring back ‘The Monster Raving Looney Party’!!

Oh what’s, that? Yep sorry you are right nowadays they are called the Conservatives, Labour and Liberal Democrat’s.

Vive la revolution!! Freedom for slaves!!!
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:21 pm

Much rather 'the Stags raving looney party' we can take over the world ! :mrgreen:
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:27 pm

I had to write to Ben Bradley, because I heard him claim that a "majority of my constituents voted Leave" and he did promise to amend that statement and not say it any more.

Even though I shouldn't generalise, I think that the Mansfield public tends to be quite down to earth and has a sense of fair play. So they might not be quite as prepared to believe what they're told without verification.

In the miner's strike it was the Notts miners that pointed out that the NUM ballot for strike action was three years old and with the turnover in membership since then was no longer applicable, a view that was upheld in the courts. The Yorkshire miners joined the strike anyway. Since the Brexit vote, Mansfield has been one of the areas to change fastest towards Remain, possibly because they are less inclined to simply dig their heels in when the facts change.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Vicar Jeremiah » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:36 pm

I reckon that Mansfield would vote Leave again should another vote be called.

Perhaps Spiritator is right and this should be moved to the Politics forum where people could get their teeth into it
Kylie Minogue - God's gift to mankind
Vicar Jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:41 pm

Chimney wrote:I reckon that Mansfield would vote Leave again should another vote be called.

Perhaps Spiritator is right and this should be moved to the Politics forum where people could get their teeth into it

Agree on both parts - not sure it would be as high though.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Never easy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:56 pm

Not all Notts miners scabbed let me just add !
Never easy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:59 pm

The second article told the whole story for me when Mansfield was described as being 20 Km north of Nottingham. What happened to miles?

Written by a remainer with an agenda to keep us in.

Biased opinion wrapped up in 'facts' that are carefully manipulated to deceive. You know nowt Jon Snow.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:10 pm

Never easy wrote:Not all Notts miners scabbed let me just add !

If you read this board it seems none did, strange really?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Marco van Sherpa » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:20 pm

I voted to leave the EU, like the majority of people in the country outside of London and the Home Counties did... and I would resent being accused of having right wing views for having done so.
I have never worked through a strike in my life, including the miners dispute in the 1980's that is often used as stick beat people from Nottinghamshire with. I resent being called a 'scab' because of preconceptions of outsiders based on my geographical location, who're usually uninformed people who have never been down a coal mine in their flipping life.
But though I resent all of this unwarranted labelling and name calling... I actually find that my football loyalties run much deeper than either my politics or work relationships, so kn@ckers to what anybody wants to think or say about any of us.
Vote whatever you want to and make your own decisions how you choose to deal with any given situation, but never forget the most important thing in life, for all of us is: WE'RE ALL MANSFIELD AREN'T WE!!!
WITH A ROCKSTEADY BEAT
Marco van Sherpa
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby robeyre » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:38 pm

God I wish I'd said this. Can we frame it and send it to parliament (copy to Ben Bradley) for reference
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:38 pm

Sneag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Just a feeling I've got but I can't see this thread lasting long on here and it being moved to the Potllics forum, especially when whiffy gets his teeth into it. ;)

Whiffers has no opinion on Mansfield he lives in Hampshire. ;)

Whiffy has an opinion on everything, and he's always right ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum