{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Popping into the mic

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Popping into the mic

Postby zygon2003 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:20 pm

Dean is a worthy co-host on the i-Follow commentary but PLEASE tell him to stop 'popping' into the mic. It's dreadful on loud speakers. Not his fault, but some sound engineer needs to have a word and provide some coaching.
Here's a definition of 'popping':
"Popping" is the unwanted noise which sometimes occurs when the subject makes a sudden forceful sound such as "P". It happens because this particular vocalisation forces a large amount of air into the microphone. Obviously it is more of a problem when the subject is very close to the mic."
zygon2003
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Popping into the mic

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:24 pm

a pop shield would help ;)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:28 pm

No! Passionate fan. But shouldnt be anywhere near analysing a game other than in the pub.

Have a player or no-one at all
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:33 pm

It's actually called clipping/ peaking.... He's either too close to the mic or the levels aren't correct
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:48 pm

This is a whole new level of whining :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:50 pm

tibby wrote:No! Passionate fan. But shouldnt be anywhere near analysing a game other than in the pub.

Have a player or no-one at all

harsh. I think Dean does a good job of summarising , it's even better that he's passionate as that reflects in his commentary
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:10 pm

Dean does a great job. He's knowledgeable, works well alongside Martin and brings humour to it.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:16 pm

Rob wrote:This is a whole new level of whining :lol:

Well, we are in 3rd place :lol:
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:17 pm

I like Dean on commentary.

I do always wonder that if he had a daughter called Betty, would he still call her Becky though :lol:
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:26 pm

Rob wrote:This is a whole new level of whining :lol:

Oh my days. Only on here! :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:30 pm

Dean and Martin out :shock:

Seriously though, these two do a great job with the commentary / summarising :clap:
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby manssmooth » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:48 pm

zygon2003 wrote:Dean is a worthy co-host on the i-Follow commentary but PLEASE tell him to stop 'popping' into the mic. It's dreadful on loud speakers. Not his fault, but some sound engineer needs to have a word and provide some coaching.
Here's a definition of 'popping':
"Popping" is the unwanted noise which sometimes occurs when the subject makes a sudden forceful sound such as "P". It happens because this particular vocalisation forces a large amount of air into the microphone. Obviously it is more of a problem when the subject is very close to the mic."

Is this any good?

Peter Piper picked a pack of pickled peppers. A pack of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked. If Peter Piper picked a pack of pickled peppers, where are the pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?
Fear Naught
manssmooth
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:07 am

Thank you for your feedback.

I will listen back to the audio before Saturday and if there was a problem, I will ensure it's fixed for the Colchester game.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bux46 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:46 am

You Know zygon2003 there are different ways of getting the same result, slagging off a great servant of our club is not one of them and creating this kind of post does no good what so ever. Why didn't you PM Martin and bring this to his attention???.They probably didn't even realise that this was happening .... No malice intended just my thoughts
bux46
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby zygon2003 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:01 pm

At no point did I slag off Dean. I stated he was a worthy co-host in my post. The engineer would normally advise advise and correct audio issues. Not up to the hosts to correct as they probably can't see audio levels, etc.
zygon2003
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Uncle » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:09 am

Martin Shaw wrote:Thank you for your feedback.

I will listen back to the audio before Saturday and if there was a problem, I will ensure it's fixed for the Colchester game.

If there was a problem??? There is no problem. I think you'd be better served fixing the problem of deciphering some of the spelling and speech patterns of the very same posters who are slagging Dean off. When the football is brilliant, they slate one player or another. When the football style's going through a bad spell, they take it out on someone who doesn't even play and gives up his time doing a great job for free.
Uncle
Youth Team
Youth Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum