{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Conrad Logan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Conrad Logan

Postby Big yella » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:29 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Just seen the highlights and I don’t get the criticism of Logan ?
He made two excellent saves from good strikes.

I think it comes from having had Olejnik command his box so well belly. Whereas now with Logan in goal we all fear crosses or balls played behind us, as he is tied to his line, and I'm afraid it appears that our defence have the same fears.

These fears were highlighted in the first minutes of yesterday's came when everyone I've spoken to, thought Logan should have collected a high ball inside the six yard box. Instead he hesitated and it allowed a header on goal. He did make a good save from that header, but shouldn't have had to, he could of easily taken the catch and any challenge on him would have almost certainly resulted in a free kick for us.

I think we all just have to realise that we have been unlucky to lose one of the best keepers in the league to a long term injury, but also accept that we have one of the best reserve keepers in the league to step up.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:38 pm

Bobby, when questioned in the 1861 before the game stated the following which which gives Dave, The Operations Manager and Carolyn a bit of a headache over January and the summer.

Firstly he is targeting an October return from injury though he did say that realistically it may be next December before he can play first team again.

Secondly his contract expires in June.

Make of the above what you will but Conrad needs to improve on his current level to ward off any long term plans for a replacement number one.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:40 pm

Big yella wrote:These fears were highlighted in the first minutes of yesterday's came when everyone I've spoken to, thought Logan should have collected a high ball inside the six yard box. Instead he hesitated and it allowed a header on goal. He did make a good save from that header, but shouldn't have had to, he could of easily taken the catch and any challenge on him would have almost certainly resulted in a free kick for us.

that was in the Bury game, the save from O'Connell after 2 minutes. Logan started to come for it then stopped. He didn't make any saves from headers yesterday.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Big yella » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:47 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Bobby, when questioned in the 1861 before the game stated the following which which gives Dave, The Operations Manager and Carolyn a bit of a headache over January and the summer.

Firstly he is targeting an October return from injury though he did say that realistically it may be next December before he can play first team again.

Make of the above what you will but Conrad needs to improve on his current level to ward off any long term plans for a replacement number one.

I think the two things to work on are simple enough to say, willingness to come off his line and his distribution. However, getting a 32 year old to change his style may not be so easy. If he can't change those two traits to fit in with our style then a longer term replacement may be needed in the summer.

Olejnik did also say his best form has always come when he has been pushed by the second keeper, and his worst season when there was no pressure on him.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:49 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Big yella wrote:These fears were highlighted in the first minutes of yesterday's came when everyone I've spoken to, thought Logan should have collected a high ball inside the six yard box. Instead he hesitated and it allowed a header on goal. He did make a good save from that header, but shouldn't have had to, he could of easily taken the catch and any challenge on him would have almost certainly resulted in a free kick for us.

that was in the Bury game, the save from O'Connell after 2 minutes. Logan started to come for it then stopped. He didn't make any saves from headers yesterday.

Oh dear, thick and fast games with lots of gin in between. However, I think the point is still valid.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:58 pm

Big yella wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:Bobby, when questioned in the 1861 before the game stated the following which which gives Dave, The Operations Manager and Carolyn a bit of a headache over January and the summer.

I think the two things to work on are simple enough to say, willingness to come off his line and his distribution. However, getting a 32 year old to change his style may not be so easy. If he can't change those two traits to fit in with our style then a longer term replacement may be needed in the summer.

Olejnik did also say his best form has always come when he has been pushed by the second keeper, and his worst season when there was no pressure on him.

And after all that you agree with exactly what I said in the first place :roll:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:26 pm

Woah. That’s a long time out. I can see Flitcroft looking at a proper replacement in January. We can’t afford a whole year without him
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:07 pm

geoffhill wrote:The main difference between Logan and Olejnik is Olejnik is in charge of his area Logan is not.It was noticible how long Logan took to release the ball.The defence seemed to have little confidence in him.Especially Pearce.I accept that all players make mistakes but it is important to keep them to a minimum.I will support all our players.Don't forget it was Logan who cost us 2 points against Colchester.I can't remember Olejnik costing us any points.

Playing devil's advocate here but what if logan had little confidence in his defence considering their distribution was woeful? Plus it was obvious from the first minute Swindon were closing down our defenders. Are people seriously suggesting logan should release the ball to a marked centre half? Some have said its "calculated risk" it's insanity. Many games this season we have had the freedom to pass the ball around the back. Swindon, nullified that.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:03 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
geoffhill wrote:The main difference between Logan and Olejnik is Olejnik is in charge of his area Logan is not.It was noticible how long Logan took to release the ball.The defence seemed to have little confidence in him.Especially Pearce.I accept that all players make mistakes but it is important to keep them to a minimum.I will support all our players.Don't forget it was Logan who cost us 2 points against Colchester.I can't remember Olejnik costing us any points.

Playing devil's advocate here but what if logan had little confidence in his defence considering their distribution was woeful? Plus it was obvious from the first minute Swindon were closing down our defenders. Are people seriously suggesting logan should release the ball to a marked centre half? Some have said its "calculated risk" it's insanity. Many games this season we have had the freedom to pass the ball around the back. Swindon, nullified that.

You could argue that if he was quicker in releasing the ball to his defenders then the Swindon forwards would have found it harder to pressurise the defence.

I think CL performances have been fine since he came back, but his distribution is certainly slower (a lot slower) than Bobby's and he's going to have to speed it up.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:47 pm

I don't think you realise how quickly they were getting to our defenders it's wasn't a gentle jog, on occasion they sprinted to them. Play 3 up front and have them play off the defenders you're going on like the forwards we're miles away from the defence. They weren't. Only a few yards away. That is dangerous territory for playing out the back. Apart from our centre halves who else, who started yesterday, would you call upon to win a aerial battle consistently? I said at half time it's a game for Danny Rose. He was the only forward we had who could battle for aerial balls.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:00 am

CL's distribution was quick enough against Bury, there was no options against Swindon as their attackers were on Preston, Pearce and Sweeney before CL had time to get the ball back. Let's not forget that Swindon had some good spells of pressure, it makes complete sense to slow things down to break up their momentum.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:25 am

pemill wrote:CL's distribution was quick enough against Bury, there was no options against Swindon as their attackers were on Preston, Pearce and Sweeney before CL had time to get the ball back. Let's not forget that Swindon had some good spells of pressure, it makes complete sense to slow things down to break up their momentum.

This.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:40 am

I tend to agree that Bobby is better than CL but only marginally ( they both have strengths and weaknesses ).

Under SE and at the beginning with DF, CL was the preferred goalkeeper.

Also when you consider the standard of goal keepers we have had since Alan Marriott left, CL is up there with the best.

I think DF has a problem now given that Bobby is injured long term.

Does he extend Kean's contract beyond a month? Does he extend CL's contract in the summer (assuming it's up ). Does he bring a new goal keeper in, in January or the Summer ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:24 pm

Agree with the post that stated that Pym is the best keeper in this league although Mckeown is of comparable ability.Olejnik was first choice at Exeter until Pym took his place.Jamal Blackman was excellent for Wycombe.He was on loan from Chelsea and was on 13k per week.He is now at Sheffield United but is out injured at the moment.Everyon who goes to blundell Park toorrow will see Mckeown.It will be interesting how he performs.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:27 pm

geoffhill wrote:Agree with the post that stated that Pym is the best keeper in this league although Mckeown is of comparable ability.Olejnik was first choice at Exeter until Pym took his place.Jamal Blackman was excellent for Wycombe.He was on loan from Chelsea and was on 13k per week.He is now at Sheffield United but is out injured at the moment.Everyon who goes to blundell Park toorrow will see Mckeown.It will be interesting how he performs.

Ditto, it will be equally interesting how our Conrad performs.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:34 pm

McKeown certainly has enough chance to impress with Grimsby’s opposition having more shots (385) and third most on target (129) than against any other team. They have done well to only concede 31 goals.
By comparison Stags goalkeepers have faced a total of 219 shots,85 on target.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:33 pm

halifaxstag wrote:McKeown certainly has enough chance to impress with Grimsby’s opposition having more shots (385) and third most on target (129) than against any other team. They have done well to only concede 31 goals.
By comparison Stags goalkeepers have faced a total of 219 shots,85 on target.

Both keepers good today, McKeown is class.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:37 pm

Is that another clean sheet then?

Well I never
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:51 pm

Logan was quality, when called upon. Hats off to him.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:52 pm

Logan didn't put a foot wrong today and made cracking saves at vital times.. Let's give him some slack. He deserves better.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:54 pm

Couldn’t get today but we’ll done Mr Logan and the rest of the team on another clean sheet! Let’s keep it going.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:00 pm

Did KP talk to him or even pass to him today?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:11 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:Did KP talk to him or even pass to him today?

Yes they shook hands before kick off. Seemed fine
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:20 pm

marker_mtfc95 wrote:Logan was quality, when called upon. Hats off to him.

What you on about mate, that's another clean sheet, needs sacking.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:39 pm

Another clean sheet, you can't ask for much from a goalkeeper
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum