{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Flitcroft's signings better than Evans' ????

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Flitcroft's signings better than Evans' ????

Postby part time pete » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:24 pm

Here off top of my head are Flitcroft's replacements for Evans' star players

I will let you decide who had the better signings.

Preston or Bennett

Bishop or Byrom

Khan or Potter

Walker or Hemmings

Davies or Spencer

Sweeney or Diamond

Elsnik or Digby

Gibbons or Hunt
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Re: Flitcroft's signings better than Evans' ????

Postby Conker » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:28 pm

I don't even think it needs a thread it's that obvious.

Although Gibbons was not signed.

The only one I disagree with is Preston, Bennett - He was a quality player and is now a regular for Peterborough but guess what - Murray signed him ;)
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:29 pm

Flitcroft's signings because they are all performing way better... Id even prefer and Injured Davies to Jimmy Spencer.

Evans signings would have been league beaters a few years ago but I think he showed he hadn't been keeping up with league two/one.

Murray also signed Bennett who was good but didn't think he played his best for us. Prefer Preston
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:34 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Flitcroft's signings because they are all performing way better... Id even prefer and Injured Davies to Jimmy Spencer.

Evans signings would have been league beaters a few years ago but I think he showed he hadn't been keeping up with league two/one.

Murray also signed Bennett who was good but didn't think he played his best for us. Prefer Preston

I rate Preston but Bennett was really good for Mansfield last season and he's playing for a promotion chasing L1 now for that reason too.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:40 pm

Bennett developed into an excellent player particularly at centre back but Preston is better, absolute quality and deceptively quick.

As for the rest, DF's current players are a massive improvement on fat boys.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:43 pm

Conker wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Flitcroft's signings because they are all performing way better... Id even prefer and Injured Davies to Jimmy Spencer.

I rate Preston but Bennett was really good for Mansfield last season and he's playing for a promotion chasing L1 now for that reason too.

Always thought he looked accident prone.... did mainly see him played RB which I never agreed with.

glad he's doing well though, reeky nice lad!
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:35 pm

Overall yes, Df has signed better players than SE and probably cheaper too.

When DF arrived he said there were too many players on big wages.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:38 pm

I liked Bennett, thought he was our biggest loss in pre-season, always felt he was prone to a mix up with the keeper - I read a report of a Peterborough game a week or so ago and they conceded due to a Bennett/goalkeeper mix up
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:14 pm

Bennett was a decent L2 defender, but had too many lapses in concentration & had slow reactions in and around the 6 yard box... I honestly think we look a lot better in defence without him.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:24 pm

James wrote:Bennett was a decent L2 defender, but had too many lapses in concentration & had slow reactions in and around the 6 yard box... I honestly think we look a lot better in defence without him.

funnily enough he gets slagged off to high heaven on pboro forums

I thought he was good but like you said sometimes a bit iffy
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:20 am

Don't know if anyone has posted this alrrady, apologies if so.

Evans and Raynor's management style revealed in an ex player's autobiography
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/12909817.amp/?__twitter_impression=true

"His sweaty face was red and contorted with rage"
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:46 am

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:12 pm

Preston is fast becoming one of the better defenders I've seen at Mansfield in my time - looks a quality player.

Daft penalty aside against Bury (he'd have got that challening 9/10 anyway) he'd be my man of the season if it weren't for CJ (and possibly Bishop)

The signings made have been much improved under DF - all you have to do is see the Peterborough messageboard stating how he now needs more players
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:49 pm

adamstag wrote:Preston is fast becoming one of the better defenders I've seen at Mansfield in my time - looks a quality player.

Daft penalty aside against Bury (he'd have got that challening 9/10 anyway) he'd be my man of the season if it weren't for CJ (and possibly Bishop)

The signings made have been much improved under DF - all you have to do is see the Peterborough messageboard stating how he now needs more players

Possibly Bishop :lol: For me he is nailed on player of the year if he stays fit, just a fantastic signing and an example for all players that if you look after yourself you can play for a long time. He was once again the fittest player on the pitch yesterday. I would say that he is our most important player bar none.

Evans does the scatter gun approach, he's done it everywhere and seems to only take jobs when offered a big budget. I know I've said it before but I think he is a fraud, made his name with a big spending non-league club and has had big budgets ever since, including at Rotherham. I'd love to see him manage somewhere like Accrington, he'd have taken them down not up. Odious man, vastly over-rated manager.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:57 pm

Rob wrote:
adamstag wrote:Preston is fast becoming one of the better defenders I've seen at Mansfield in my time - looks a quality player.

Possibly Bishop :lol: For me he is nailed on player of the year if he stays fit, just a fantastic signing and an example for all players that if you look after yourself you can play for a long time. He was once again the fittest player on the pitch yesterday. I would say that he is our most important player bar none.

Evans does the scatter gun approach, he's done it everywhere and seems to only take jobs when offered a big budget. I know I've said it before but I think he is a fraud, made his name with a big spending non-league club and has had big budgets ever since, including at Rotherham. I'd love to see him manage somewhere like Accrington, he'd have taken them down not up. Odious man, vastly over-rated manager.

TBH - if you were to class CJ as a forward, we could easily have a MOM for each area of the pitch at present, which makes a change!

What's great about Bishop is that sometimes you don't notice him - he just does his job and gets on with it without fuss.

Preston just bullies players - they rarely get past him, he's great in the air and good at communication
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:00 pm

IMO, Sweeney has been more impressive than Preston. Would love us to sign him permanently.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:10 pm

adamstag wrote:
Rob wrote:

TBH - if you were to class CJ as a forward, we could easily have a MOM for each area of the pitch at present, which makes a change!

What's great about Bishop is that sometimes you don't notice him - he just does his job and gets on with it without fuss.

Preston just bullies players - they rarely get past him, he's great in the air and good at communication

I think all three centre backs have been outstanding, just look at our defensive record. I think CJ is still a touch hot and cold, he got into some great positions again yesterday and never really made the most of them, he will only improve and to play alongside such quality like Bishop and Mellis can only help.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum