{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:59 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:44 pm

Will there be mention of the ’stepovers’ in the full report?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:58 pm

detailed report now on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:59 pm

There was a move towards the end of the first half Martin, Benning was primarily involved and it moved all the way from left to right before White had a shot blocked - DF was applauding, the crowd were cheering and DF was looking at the crowd as though to say 'dead right you should be applauding that'. Hopefully it'll be in the highlights
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:03 pm

When the attendance was anounced I was quite surprised, it just felt like a bigger gate.

Bishop would have received another 10 from me, he was absolutely magnificent. In the 90th minute he was still covering more ground than anyone else, he is inspirational.
Last edited by Rob on Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:18 pm

I agree about Bishop. Several players were outstanding but he put in an inspired 90 minutes and is a no brainer for man of the match. Mellis has to be mentioned too, White had a good one and Pearce was again solid.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:32 pm

Rob wrote:When the attendance was anounced I was quite surprised, it just felt like a bigger gate.

Bishop would have received another 10 from me, he was absolutely magnificent. In the 90th minute he was still covering more ground than anyone else, he is insprational.

I was a bit surprised too, I thought there looked more in the QLE than for the County game.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:05 pm

Some stats
…………………………………………………... Stags…………. Shakers
Possession (%) …………………………….…….55…………….. 45
Shots…….Total…………………………………. 13……………..6
…………...On target……………….……………….5……………….4
……………Blocked…………………..……………...1……………….0
……………Off target (inc hit woodwork)..............7()..................2()
Expected Goals…………………….………….2.5…………….1.3

Corners…………………………………………….. 8……………….3
Offside ………………………………………………. 2……………….1
Fouls……………………………………………..….19……………16
Cards (Yellow/ Red)......................2/ 0…..…….4/0

N.b. Jay O’Shea shot from half way was counted by stattos as on target. O’Connor headed against his own crossbar.
Penalties give an expected goal score of .75 so without these it was 1.75/.55
Last edited by halifaxstag on Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:56 pm

Marky Mark wrote:There was a move towards the end of the first half Martin, Benning was primarily involved and it moved all the way from left to right before White had a shot blocked - DF was applauding, the crowd were cheering and DF was looking at the crowd as though to say 'dead right you should be applauding that'. Hopefully it'll be in the highlights

There were two particularly good moves in the first half:
Then a wonderful move from Mansfield on 20 minutes. Benning made his way across the pitch and laid off to White, White crossed back in and Benning headed wide.
Then a brilliant move from the Stags on 39 minutes, ended with White sending in a low cross but it was blocked before reaching the unmarked Walker. It came back to White who fired into the side netting.

I intend to include them both on a great chances video tomorrow at noon, and of course in the iFollow highlights.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:13 pm

Sneag wrote:
Rob wrote:When the attendance was anounced I was quite surprised, it just felt like a bigger gate.

Bishop would have received another 10 from me, he was absolutely magnificent. In the 90th minute he was still covering more ground than anyone else, he is insprational.

I was a bit surprised too, I thought there looked more in the QLE than for the County game.

The only downside on the day has to be the attendance .
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:17 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Sneag wrote:

The only downside on the day has to be the attendance .

Oh do put the hook away you clown :)
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:22 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:54 pm

Jacob Mellis was my Man of the Match. He was excellent throughout the game until he came off in the 85th minute. His passing is on another level and sometimes one step ahead of his teammates. The assist for CJ's goal was superb.

I went for:

Jacob Mellis 9.5
Krystian Pearce 8.5
Mal Benning 8.5
Neal Bishop 8
CJ Hamilton 8
Ryan Sweeney 8
Hayden White 8
Tyler Walker 7.5
Matt Preston 7.5
Timi Elsnik 7
Conrad Logan 7
Danny Rose 7
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:04 pm

Mellis closely followed by Bishop my MOTM too.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:20 pm

Mellis was superb, it helps playing alongside the best central midfielder in League 2.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:24 pm

Rob wrote:Mellis was superb, it helps playing alongside the best central midfielder in League 2.

It helps that he’s finally playing as a number ten and does have to do as much work defensively. Completely wasted under Evans who seemingly never cottoned on to that.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:24 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Jacob Mellis was my Man of the Match. He was excellent throughout the game until he came off in the 85th minute. His passing is on another level and sometimes one step ahead of his teammates. The assist for CJ's goal was superb.

I went for:

Jacob Mellis 9.5
Krystian Pearce 8.5
Mal Benning 8.5
Neal Bishop 8
CJ Hamilton 8
Ryan Sweeney 8
Hayden White 8
Tyler Walker 7.5
Matt Preston 7.5
Timi Elsnik 7
Conrad Logan 7
Danny Rose 7

Bishop 8?!?

It’s amazing how everyone sees the game differently. Without Bishop doing what he does, then Mellis would not get the opportunities to play ‘that ball’ to CJ.

The main thing that stood out to me (and makes me regret my earlier DF questions) is we pressed when we were 1-0 up, we pressed when we were 2-0 up. The main person running at bury defenders or midfielders was bishop. Last season and most seasons I have watched stags, we would sit back at 1-0 and concede.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:45 am

Neal Bishop was my Man of the Match against Stevenage. However I thought that Jacob Mellis, Krystian Pearce and Mal Benning played well throughout the game and so gave them higher ratings followed by Bishop, CJ, Ryan Sweeney and Hayden White.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:33 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Neal Bishop was my Man of the Match against Stevenage. However I thought that Jacob Mellis, Krystian Pearce and Mal Benning played well throughout the game and so gave them higher ratings followed by Bishop, CJ, Ryan Sweeney and Hayden White.

Nope, don't agree. Bishop was utterly magnificent today, Mellis had a great game too, but Bishop was our best player today.

Your inability to judge a manager appears to be spreading to players Darren :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:48 am

Excellent report, Martin
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:11 am

I just call it as I see it Rob. I thought Neil Bishop had a good game but Jacob Mellis' passing was superb and the majority of Stags fans I chatted to after the game seemed to agree he was MOM. I don't always agree with the majority though e.g. I thought Matt Preston was our MOM at Lincoln away (just ahead of Krystian Pearce as Preston had a better 1st half). Everybody has different opinions which makes this forum interesting. Bury fans also picked out Jacob Mellis as our best player.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:17 am

I'm not sure whether Bishop or Mellis won the Man of the Match award from Martin there, but great report despite that. Perhaps it will be edited later when the decision is made (yes, pet peeve, sorry Martin, you can't have two Man of the Match awards in one game!).
The ref got a surprisingly high rating. He seemed to think that it's a non contact sport, was inconsistent, and did his best to break up our attacking play by getting in the way. He got nothing major wrong and certainly wasn't the worst this season, but some refs have been first rate and only managed a 7.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:23 am

report tweaked after going through the game again.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Jimstag » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:37 pm

A few good performances yesterday I thought Mellis just ahead of Bishop and Benning.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:38 pm

Bradders wrote:I'm not sure whether Bishop or Mellis won the Man of the Match award from Martin there, but great report despite that. Perhaps it will be edited later when the decision is made (yes, pet peeve, sorry Martin, you can't have two Man of the Match awards in one game!).
The ref got a surprisingly high rating. He seemed to think that it's a non contact sport, was inconsistent, and did his best to break up our attacking play by getting in the way. He got nothing major wrong and certainly wasn't the worst this season, but some refs have been first rate and only managed a 7.

The referee had a fine game and I don't really recall anything he did wrong, yes as you say he gave a few fairly soft free kicks (both ways) but I suspect this was to ensure he remained in control of a very competitive, quick tempo match. He was in a great position for both penalties and the cards were also correct. I do agree there should only be one MoM, mine was Bishop as said earlier, but absolutely no argument from me if it were Mellis. Benning did well but how the sponsor gave it him above those two is beyond me :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum