{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

So who makes way

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

So who makes way

Postby one f in mansfield » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:38 pm

if we sign a new striker that so many of us have been asking for who do we drop ? .Do we change tactics to accommodate a new striker , drop a striker on course for 20 plus goals this season, move CJ to wingback and drop a midfielder ? .

Buggered if I know
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Re: So who makes way

Postby Jamie » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:46 pm

Change nothing... players know when they join a side in form that they have to wait for and earn a place. CJ is wasted at RWB.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:48 pm

We get another backup striker. A loanee from Forest. Second half of the season always brings more injuries and tired legs in need of rotation.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:59 pm

First , we need a striker who has a eye for a goal , not just someone to make the numbers up . He also has to realise that there is no guarantees of him playing , although this could be a problem in signing a loan player who's club demands he starts
I think another central defender is as important as a striker . .
The main thing for me is keeping the current squad together .
We have yet to see the best of Khan . Davies will be like a new signing when fit and hopefully we will have macca back , sooner rather than later so the squad should be stronger .
The way DF has the whole squad paying , I think any player can do a job when called upon.
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:00 pm

We basically need a striker who is better than Davies & Rose. If we can get that, then there will be no problem with fitting in.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:07 pm

It has never been about signing a squad player .

Since the start of the season posts about how we need a striker if we are to get promotion, striker short of a good side, current strike force not good enough have been made almost every week.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:10 pm

one f in mansfield wrote:It has never been about signing a squad player .

Since the start of the season posts about how we need a striker if we are to get promotion, striker short of a good side, current strike force not good enough have been made almost every week.

current strike force not good enough? both players up front scored today and we are third with 2 games in hand . Id say we are doing fine, but it would be nice to get some extra firepower in.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:14 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
one f in mansfield wrote:It has never been about signing a squad player .

current strike force not good enough? both players up front scored today and we are third with 2 games in hand . Id say we are doing fine, but it would be nice to get some extra firepower in.

I agree slightly Bobby but if we had a top draw striker we would probably be unbeaten and a few points in front at the top of the league . Most of the draws would of been wins . If we get a injury to Walker then we will struggle .
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby Tess Tickle » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:29 pm

To be fair we are in a cracking position. Best football for years, hard to beat, creating chance after chance, fans happy ,attendance creeping up, owners that 70% of the EFL would die for .
I think if we do strengthen it should just be as back up and the player coming in should be under no illusions otherwise ( we could get a cracking player in but if he upsets the applecart then its counter productive) .We have good players waiting in the wings for a chance if someone loses a bit of form or gets suspended. At this point i am more than confident that the growing momentum of our form will soon take us to the top. Let other teams lose focus and fight each other for the loan signings or others and let stags build quietly and before they know what's hit them it will be too late.
Best I've felt as a Stag for many a year and long may it continue.
Tess Tickle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:16 pm

Who is to say Rose will not go?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:05 pm

Our strike force is fine. Tyler has 14 goals in all competitions and we haven't even played half our fixtures yet. Rose has 5 goals. CJ has 7 but he's played all over the place.

It is not an area I feel we are desperate to improve. It all depends on how bad Davies' injury is.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:53 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Our strike force is fine. Tyler has 14 goals in all competitions

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:02 pm

To be fair...I’d bring in maybe two players.

One would be a striker just to give us more options upfront and to show the rest of the league we are the strongest team financially in the league. The other would be cover for centre back.

Striker wise Padraig Amond would be my choice. He’s got ten goals plus a few assists and we could probably land him for maybe £200k ish. Has pace and can hold the ball up, better finisher than Rose too I think. Also I’ve like the looks of that Dom Telford who played for Bury today. Scored past us last month and was quite a pain in our defenders arris in the first half.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:30 pm

The rest of this season will not be defined by who we sign in January, it will be defined by who we keep.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:35 pm

I don't think we'll lose anyone of consequence in January.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:46 am

MTFCMAD wrote:To be fair...I’d bring in maybe two players.

One would be a striker just to give us more options upfront and to show the rest of the league we are the strongest team financially in the league. The other would be cover for centre back.

Striker wise Padraig Amond would be my choice. He’s got ten goals plus a few assists and we could probably land him for maybe £200k ish. Has pace and can hold the ball up, better finisher than Rose too I think. Also I’ve like the looks of that Dom Telford who played for Bury today. Scored past us last month and was quite a pain in our defenders arris in the first half.

I agree, Amond would be a great signing. Can't see it happening though.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:53 am

Keep faith with Rose. One or two goals and he will be confident again. And Davies fit for the last third of the season. Save the money to build a league one team next season this team and manager are good enough to get us up.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jimstag » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:04 pm

I think we’ll all have different opinions that DF and who he can bring in will depend on who is actually available. Many have said it’ll depend on how well we can keep this team together and focused in the job in hand.

For me there’s a couple of areas.
I think moving CJ further forward is the best option we’ll have striker wise. Him and Tyler are forming a good partnership. Rose could quite easily make it as a starter if he hits some form.
For me I’d be looking at a Davies type striker, if we can’t get him fit then we need some cover.

The rest for me will be defensive, we need Kean or another keeper. Cover at centre back as we’ve already been found short here and maybe a left or right back so that we don’t have to play CJ at wing back.

I’d suggest DF doesn’t think our young players are quite ready in terms of goal keeper or wing backs based on who he’s played when we’ve been short. We’ve also got Mirfin and MacDonald due back which may affect options?

So in summary.
Goalkeeper
Target striker as another option
Versatile defender - e.g. a centre back who can play at one side of the defence (I’d go for left as Atkinson is an option at the right?)
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:28 pm

The problem is that Rose's value will have greatly diminished since the Summer. He's a more than able to back-up to Tyler and CJ and has made good impact in the last couple of games from the bench. Any new striker we brought in would have to be happy with being an impact player also.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:07 pm

If some of the Evans deadwood is removed there are options to add to the squad. Luton achieved promotion because of an abundance of firepower. You can never have too much!
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:16 pm

We need both a striker and a defender.

A couple of injures or suspension and we are screwed.

In DF I trust
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:52 pm

Any rumours of who might be incoming?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum