{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Access to Field Mill

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Access to Field Mill

Postby Number63 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:33 pm

As a stags supporter with a new disability I recently wrote a review of my experience of attending Cheltenham Town Football Club.

I thought I would now share my experience of Field Mill at the Notts County game last Saturday

I live a long way from Mansfield so my first task was to get a ticket.

Booking: I contacted the “accessibility” member of staff as identified on the MTFC web site by email 3 weeks before the game. I received no response to the email.

I emailed the ticket office 10 days before the match. I had no response

I called the ticket office: I was given excellent advice by the Staff Member. I was offered an assistant ticket for my career. I was asked rightly to send over confirmation of my higher level PIP to confirm my disability. I knew people at the match so the ticket team tried to seat me in the same area of the ground which was appreciated, though in the end I was allocated a ticket in a “disabled section”

I was offered a disabled parking space (£5:00) which was very helpful as I cannot walk far.

The tickets were left for collation at the ticket office.

Match Day

Access to the car park was a bit disorganised but the carpark staff were helpful and of course it was busy.

Entrance to the ground was easy

My seat was fine

I was able to access the loo when needed

The mushy peas ( £1.00) were ok but not a patch on those from the pea stall when it was near the dial( that was many years ago) I have not factored this into my assessment.

I noticed the club has a sensory room that has just open up which I thought was a positive step

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2018/december/family-ticket-offer-notts-county/

The web site has a section for disable supporters

[url]https://www.mansfieldtown.net/fans/disabled-supporters/[url]

Disable supports are also referred to in the customer charter

[url]https://www.mansfieldtown.net/siteassets/documents/customercharter12july2018-2.pdf[url]

Overall a reasonable experience. (Made better by the result of course)

Having to contact the club three times for the ticket was a real faff but the service I received was eventually excellent. ( I have spoken to the office manager to pass on my thanks about the service )

I understand why the club talks about “disabled areas”. That said disability covers a wide spectrum of issues and I would like to see the option of being able to sit anywhere in ground being made clearer in documentation subject to seating availability if that works for the fan and overall ground safety.

How did Field Mill compare to the Johnny Rocks stadium? Read the review
[url]https://www.stagsnet.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34599&p=742214#p742214[url]
Not much matches Mansfield
Number63
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Access to Field Mill

Postby Jamie » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:57 pm

"Reasonable experience" appears a little harsh to given what you've described. Seems on the face of it the club are doing everything they can to help and accommodate fans with special requirements, and on a busy derby day.

The non answering of emails is an issue and isn't just those mentioned. We've emailed about kids trials etc in the past and never had a response.

On the seat, you seem unhappy you were put in the disabled area, but if you are able to use normal seating did you make that point when buying your ticket and choosing a stand etc? If you didn't then the assumption would be to put you there when you're ringing to book a disabled ticket with a carer, parking etc.

I'm glad the club are looking after fans in the right manor. Things are always improving and it's all the more credit to the owner and directors. The smoking extention on the QLE was a great move and overall match day experience with stewards etc seems much better these days.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Iliketrains » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:20 am

Very interesting post Number63 and enjoyable to read.

I am in a similar position in having a few 'new' disabilities / health conditions and also some old ones too :D I also had to go down to the ticket office recently with PIP evidence letters in order to obtain a 'companion' ticket.

I have a different experience to you regarding contacting the ticket office by email. I received a concise reply the day after i contacted them detailing all the information i needed to know so that was a very encouraging and positive exchange.

My criticism though is when i did actually arrive at the ticket office i was greeted with unreceptive and very flat customer service like response. I did get the tickets in the end which is the ultimate goal but the lack of interest shown towards me by two members of staff put me off massively. I appreciate it must be a hard job and stressful but i'm a new 'customer' if you like and the first impression was really poor and hugely disappointed me. I felt like a hindrance being there rather than a valued individual and that feeling remained when i left.

My issues with the disabled ticketing system is the fact that if i want a ticket on any given matchday then i have to go down to the ground each time to get them. A pain in the arse if you aren't disabled and another obstacle to overcome if you are. You cannot book two seats (one companion seat) either on the phone or online.

Another issue is not being able to book seats in the blocks that are off sale prior to matchday. I need an end seat with the next to me empty also. End seats are popular and sometimes it is not possible to get them unless you sit right at the front next to the pitch and open to the elements somewhat. Opening up the other blocks would ensure more end seats for sale. Obviously booking as early as possible gives you slightly more seating choices but due to having to go to the ground to book them, which in some cases i am not able to do within a reasonable time scale due to relying on other people makes this only a slight advantage for someone like myself.

Of course the solution to this is to buy a season ticket as soon as they become available and get one for your companion therefore meaning you could sit in the same seat every game. I accept this as a solution (although some games i'd miss due to not being able to get parking) and so the complaints i have made aren't for moanings sake but simply to highlight that the club does hinder small sections of supporters with certain needs from attending games when they feel able enough and well enough to attend.

In terms of parking. I did ask about parking and was very kindly offered a space for the Crawley match but for some other games like County then reserving spaces isn't possible. Pretty much meaning i might struggle to attend if i can't park quite close. This fluctuating and unpredictable lottery makes you think twice about which games you can attend.

The sensory room addition is a great step forward but there still needs to be massive improvements from clubs across the board when it comes to making football equally accessible and i'm not just talking about physical disabilities but hidden disabilities also such as autism, anxiety disorders, M.E (which is physical too) etc that doesn't just involve mobility difficulties.

Attending football matches can be very enjoyable and very inclusive for people with hidden disabilities and a chance to get out of the house and feel part of something but with the crowds, the noise, the lights, the whole hustle and bustle it can soon become a challenge. Quiet areas are fine in a little room at the back of a stand but each club IMO needs to have a small area of seating set aside for people who require space and a calmer, less stressful environment.

I also think that clubs should have a far more high profile disabled supporters club and disabled officer who is salaried and who organizes things and is constantly seeking to improve and tweak existing systems to make attending football as easy as it is for non disabled people. Perhaps this salary could be part paid for by subscriptions and fundraising events by the disabled supporters? I don't know.

Overall though at Mansfield i personally am hindered by the issues as mentioned above and therefore will not be able to attend half as many matches as i would be able to normally if these were all ironed out.

In isolation though the sensory room is an excellent addition and can only help.
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby The One » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:50 pm

Just had a look on O/S out of interest.

It states must be in receipt of PIP or DLA,I thought DLA was phased out some time ago?

It should include people in receipt of Attendance Allowance in my view.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:16 pm

With regards to parking, aren't you able to park in the retail park and put your disabled badge on show? You shouldn't get a ticket then I shouldn't think.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:17 pm

Parking tickets at the ground can be bought for the season. I have one which cost £115 for the 23 league games
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby stagg » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:25 pm

The One wrote:Just had a look on O/S out of interest.

It states must be in receipt of PIP or DLA,I thought DLA was phased out some time ago?

It should include people in receipt of Attendance Allowance in my view.

DLA still is payable to those under 16 years and those over 65 years old.
stagg
Youth Team
Youth Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum