{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report and plenty of stats

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report and plenty of stats

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:55 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report and plenty of stats

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:45 pm

Finally CJ gets a man of the match from someone. The guy's a left winger turned RWB then goes upfront and nearly bags a hattrick. He must have been a little disappointed for it to be given to Pearce. What more can the lad do?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:19 pm

detailed report now on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:32 pm

player ratings now on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Jay » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:51 pm

It’s all about opinions but I think Pearce & Preston we’re better than 7’s today.
Jay
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby adamstag » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:39 pm

Jay wrote:It’s all about opinions but I think Pearce & Preston we’re better than 7’s today.

On defending alone Preston would have been a 8 or 9 in my book, maybe the dodgy distribution held him back.

That said I’d rather have a defender who defends and belts it out than a defender who fannies around with it and gets caught out doing something overly complicated
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Johan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:43 pm

Pearce and Preston out-pacing Hemmings towards the end of the game was great and summed up the gulf in fitness between the two sides.
Johan
First Team
First Team

Postby 88BenM » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:36 am

Krystian Dennis, who was relegated with Macclesfield two seasons ago, and Chesterfield last season, and going for an unusual hat-trick with Notts County this season, dropped to the bench, as Kane Hemmings joined him on the bench returning from injury. Jon Stead started up front on his own.

I noticed you said this during commentary a few times. 2 seasons ago Macclesfield finished 9th in the National League. They were last relegated in 2012, from the FL.

He is on for the treble, Chesterfield 16/17 24th League 1, Chesterfield 17/18 24th League 2.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:43 am

88BenM wrote:
Krystian Dennis, who was relegated with Macclesfield two seasons ago, and Chesterfield last season, and going for an unusual hat-trick with Notts County this season, dropped to the bench, as Kane Hemmings joined him on the bench returning from injury. Jon Stead started up front on his own.

I noticed you said this during commentary a few times. 2 seasons ago Macclesfield finished 9th in the National League. They were last relegated in 2012, from the FL.

He is on for the treble, Chesterfield 16/17 24th League 1, Chesterfield 17/18 24th League 2.

apologies. You're right of course, thanks. I will amend.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:48 am

Preston must have won every header he contested yesterday.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:14 am

stagmanrob wrote:Preston must have won every header he contested yesterday.

not in the first half. Stead beat him on more than one occasion, including the build-up to Thomas' shot just over the bar.

Preston had a good game overall, as did Pearce. I didn't see them as 8's or 9's on this occasion though.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:10 am

I think yesterday you could easily have made a case for CJ Hamilton, Krystian Pearce, Mal Benning, Bobby Olejnik or Neal Bishop being Man of the Match. It was a very good performance by the Stags although you had the impression that we could have gone up a gear if necessary.

However I gave MOM to Jacob Mellis. He has been excellent since his return to the side and his passing and distribution were superb especially in the 1st half. We were worried before the game about his fitness as he had not played well against Lincoln and Bury and he had revealed after the Lincoln game that he was only 60% fit due to a hamstring problem. I thought the team and formation was set up yesterday to allow Jacob a free role in midfield behind our forwards with Neal Bishop and Timi Elsnik on defensive duties behind him. This meant that Jacob did not have to do as much running and tracking back and got him on the ball further up the pitch where he could use his quality. Well done to DF for getting this spot on.

I try and rate the players in order of performance (or group them). This means that I am usually more generous than Martin at the top end but meaner at the bottom end. I awarded lots of 4's for the midweek Bury performance! Yesterday I would go for the following:

Jacob Mellis 9.5
CJ Hamilton 9
Krystian Pearce 8.5
Bobby Olejnik 8
Mal Benning 8
Neal Bishop 7.5
Ryan Sweeney 7.5
Matt Preston 7
Hayden White 7
Tyler Walker 7
Timi Elsnik 6
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:11 am

As pure defenders our current back three of Preston, Pearce and Sweeney are the best I have seen in my lifetime. Pearce is better than the other two on the ball but what he sometimes lacked in concentration and aerially is covered by the other two. Sweeney is very solid in the air if perhaps a bit slow on the deck. Preston is a pure defender. His headers don't always go in the right direction and his distribution is mostly poor (mostly in high pressure games) but he always get his head on the ball and his tackling is excellent. They compliment each other fantastically.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:12 am

Sweeney was by far the best of the 3 CBs. Mellis or CJ must have been MOTM for me. Pearce has it easy with their forward line of immobile players. So much so that when he did his after match speech up in the corporate suite he didn’t have a single bead of sweat on him!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:36 am

The thing about Pearce is at no time when the ball is not near him does he look like a footballer, he seems to drag himself around the pitch and looks a bit like Robocop whenever the ball is on the floor near him. But as soon as there is any sense of any danger then he seems to power up into some sort of Bobby Moore/Franco Baresi hybrid - you aren't getting by him, you aren't beating him in the air and if he fancies it then he'll dribble the ball past you too. Then he'll hobble back to his position like Old Man Steptoe. What a guy!
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:23 am

The CJ effort which hit the bar seemed from our position in QLE that the keeper got fingertips to it and should have been our ball.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:00 pm

stag861 wrote:The CJ effort which hit the bar seemed from our position in QLE that the keeper got fingertips to it and should have been our ball.

yes, report amended to:

From the video, keeper Fitzsimons made a super save turning it onto the bar. The officials gave the resulting throw-in to Notts County and from the video we can see Hamilton says to the ref “He saved it” and the keeper grins widely.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:51 pm

no clue from the video what Flitcroft was booked for. Did anyone in the lower tier get any clues?
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:no clue from the video what Flitcroft was booked for. Did anyone in the lower tier get any clues?

It was for his continued protestations to the fourth official and lino when the Notts left back curled the ball down the line and it only went out by a yard :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:28 pm

ok thanks.

Report updated after going through the game again.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sneag » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:44 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:no clue from the video what Flitcroft was booked for. Did anyone in the lower tier get any clues?

It was for his continued protestations to the fourth official and lino when the Notts left back curled the ball down the line and it only went out by a yard :lol:

It was the one that the 4th Official nearly trapped. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Binghamstag » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:24 pm

Ball was out of play yet the linesman failed to see.
Binghamstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:02 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:As pure defenders our current back three of Preston, Pearce and Sweeney are the best I have seen in my lifetime. Pearce is better than the other two on the ball but what he sometimes lacked in concentration and aerially is covered by the other two. Sweeney is very solid in the air if perhaps a bit slow on the deck. Preston is a pure defender. His headers don't always go in the right direction and his distribution is mostly poor (mostly in high pressure games) but he always get his head on the ball and his tackling is excellent. They compliment each other fantastically.

I would agree with these comments but I do think that Sweeney is one those rare treats in that he is a young loanee who has been sent to learn and has improved significantly. His first few home performances were a little hair raising at times and he seems to have improved since the Cambridge game which saw him dinking meaningless ball after meaningless ball forwards but then stop one on the line when all seemed lost. I think he will get better over the season as moving with the ball is becoming more natural to him.

I do wonder if Flitcroft's playing style might see clubs taking a risk on us for loans of players who can pass the ball
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:43 pm

Match stats
…………………………………………………...... Stags…………. Pies
Possession (%) …………………………….…….58…………….. 42
Shots…….Total…………………………………. 17……………..10
…………...On target…………………………….….7……………….5
……………Blocked……………………………….....3……………….2
……………Off target (inc hit woodwork)...7(2)..........3()
Expected Goals…………………………………….2.0…………….0.7

Corners…………………………………………….... 5……………….4
Offside …………………………………………….....6……………….0
Fouls……………………………………………….....13………………14
Cards (Yellow/ Red)........................3/ 0……………. 3/0

Clearances/headed clearances…………3/8……………….10/7

Please note that the official stats for shots off target include 2 hit woodwork based on the decisions of the officials to give a throw in and goal kick after each occasion. It is clear from the video that the keeper saved CJ’s shot. CJ could even be seen saying ‘he saved it’. Hayden White also reacted like he thought the keeper had touched it although neither player reacted very vociferously.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Conker » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:02 pm

I was right behind it - he went beserk at the linesman (who was abysmal) for not spotting the ball going out of play I’m not sure exactly what he said but it clearly was not complimentary.

The lino immediately grasses up him, funny thing is even Ardley said something along the lines that it was miles out!

Anyway back to my sacred upper tier seat for the rest of the season!
Conker
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum