{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January Transfers Thread

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: January Transfers Thread

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:30 am

Kenwood wrote:If someone like Aston Villa or any other Championship club are prepared to pay 1 million or more, could we do a deal that loans him back for the rest of this season?

We Win all ways then?

Why would they want to buy a player and loan him back? I know it happens, but it would probably lower the transfer fee and we would probably end up paying the player higher wages, ( the wage the buying club had agreed with the player ).
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:46 am

Kenwood wrote:If someone like Aston Villa or any other Championship club are prepared to pay 1 million or more, could we do a deal that loans him back for the rest of this season?

We Win all ways then?

We’ve just sent one back because we have too many loans for the match day squad, so I can’t see that happening. Let’s keep him and crack on, there’s only 20ish games left. I’m sure the club and CJ can both wait a few months to see what comes of our season.

If he goes we need to sign another forward, and another wing back and even then they probably won’t cover the positions that we can play CJ. The club have been patient and good with him with offering him a new contract last season, let’s hope that counts for something and he pays us back this season.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:56 am

Where will he play on Saturday though?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:14 am

Wonder whether DF has brought Grant and Ajose in with half a mind as to whether CJ will be going or not - as it feels as though he gets shoe-horned into the current line up. Ironically the side probably has better balance with three at the back and White and Benning at wing backs rather than CJ filling in where there's a gap.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:31 am

I'd rather not let CJ go, as i feel he's a long way from being a Championship player & would be better for us this season to keep him, but for anything over £1m i would sell him (RELEASE CLAUSE, SOMEONE REMEMBER THE RELEASE CLAUSE).

Use some of the money for a midfielder this window, then save the rest to buy Walker in the summer :D
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:50 am

Marky Mark wrote:Wonder whether DF has brought Grant and Ajose in with half a mind as to whether CJ will be going or not - as it feels as though he gets shoe-horned into the current line up. Ironically the side probably has better balance with three at the back and White and Benning at wing backs rather than CJ filling in where there's a gap.

My thoughts exactly.
I would rather take the money than have CJ at RWB.
Arguably our most potent forward threat was lingering at RB for large parts of Tuesday game.

Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of DF and was even when he couldn't win for toffee but this is the 1 thing I 100% disagree with him about.
CJ is NOT a RWB.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:06 am

James wrote:I'd rather not let CJ go, as i feel he's a long way from being a Championship player & would be better for us this season to keep him, but for anything over £1m i would sell him (RELEASE CLAUSE, SOMEONE REMEMBER THE RELEASE CLAUSE).

Use some of the money for a midfielder this window, then save the rest to buy Walker in the summer :D

Then who would we use at left wing back if Benning got injured for a few weeks, or White at right wing back? Or when a CB is suspended like Tuesday and White has to fill in elsewhere? Atkinson? Wouldn’t be great would it!

Also everyone thinks we’ve been a striker short all season and we’d be back in the same boat if he went. We’d also lose a big part of how we play and one of our main attacking threats. Too much of a risk to let him go and not have a quality option in all of those positions, one major injury to one of the wing backs and we have to change our style completely without him.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:28 am

Must keep CJ till end of season at least!
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:41 am

Captain Cunno wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:Wonder whether DF has brought Grant and Ajose in with half a mind as to whether CJ will be going or not - as it feels as though he gets shoe-horned into the current line up. Ironically the side probably has better balance with three at the back and White and Benning at wing backs rather than CJ filling in where there's a gap.

My thoughts exactly.
I would rather take the money than have CJ at RWB.
Arguably our most potent forward threat was lingering at RB for large parts of Tuesday game.

Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of DF and was even when he couldn't win for toffee but this is the 1 thing I 100% disagree with him about.
CJ is NOT a RWB.

he's not a rwb, but he can play there ;)

it's not a bad thing being as versatile as he is, he can play LWB/RWB LW/RW and hasn't looked too bad up front either. but as you say, he's way better at attacking than defending and should be utilised up top
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:13 pm

hucknallstag wrote:danny rose submitting a transfer request and it backfiring....agent interference,what im saying imo is that we dont have to sell,c j mignt/mignt not want to take the bait but how many on here honestly believe he is a championship player....yet?

That wasn't the agent that was Evans tapping him up (allegedly!)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby scottyd281 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:19 pm

I honestly believe CJ will be gone by end of the window IMO. Good luck to the guy, I wish him all the best. When u have big clubs sniffing around such as West Brom and Villa the rivalry between the two is enough to start a bid war. Some West Brom sites are already calling for the manager to get a better bid in now due to Villa interest. West Brom have lost a recent winger due to recall.

Hopefully we would have enough time to get another player or two (improve squad) on contract through the building, DF I'm sure is looking and conversations had on additions, a shame as I like CJs attitude and his football seems a decent honest bloke and I won't shed any bad word against him when he does go. Onwards and upwards COYS.
scottyd281
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby CassellsCap » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:13 pm

Villa have recalled one of their promising young wingers back from Pompey and looks as though he’s going straight in the team Saturday.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Kernow » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:27 pm

Rumour today, Villa in talk's with us for CJ !!
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Would the financial gain really be that great? We’d have to sign a few players on permanent contracts, potentially with transfer fees to get quality additions to cover the gaps that he would leave. Wages will also end up being higher as a result. We could get promoted and sell him in the summer instead then we’d really be quids in.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:52 pm

Kernow wrote:Rumour today, Villa in talk's with us for CJ !!

Have you been on nights? :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:53 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Would the financial gain really be that great? We’d have to sign a few players on permanent contracts, potentially with transfer fees to get quality additions to cover the gaps that he would leave. Wages will also end up being higher as a result. We could get promoted and sell him in the summer instead then we’d really be quids in.

Could get a serious injury, or lose form at any time and his value plummets.

At our level, transfers are very short term & if you get offered a £1m + for CJ, you take it. Just get the best deal for the club.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby hucknallstag » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:04 pm

Depends on your chairman's ambitions, or even the players?
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:35 pm

CJ may not be a championship level player yet. But he wasn't a league 2 player when he came to us either.

It's a gamble on the buying clubs part. We could end up promoted and CJ may decide to stay for a season in league 1. We could do well then in which case his value will skyrocket. His raw pace is what they are bidding for. They have the coaching staff to work on his other areas. I certainly would not begrudge him a move now.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:40 pm

Are Sheff Utd entitled to a sell on fee ???
Did we sign him from them or was he released by them ??
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:55 pm

Johnny H wrote:Are Sheff Utd entitled to a sell on fee ???
Did we sign him from them or was he released by them ??

he was released.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:11 pm

One of the ironies being that CJ spent some time at Halifax Town, who were the beneficiaries of our 2 biggest transfer blunders in recent memory: Mick Galloway given away free to Halifax, sold to Celtic for the best part of £500k and went on to play for Scotland, and Lee Gregory, who was given to Halifax and sold to Millwall for around the same price.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:20 pm

I saw a guy in Blackburn gear at the Yeovil game. Assume he was a scout.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby hucknallstag » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:48 pm

as i remember he was pulled from a loan spell at gateshead when he joined us gazza?i dont think he is championship level yet either and another year of coaching wouldnt hurt him?when you consider jorge grant cant get a game in the championship it brings home the massive jump from league two,take nathan thomas as an example?handful of decent peformances for hartlepool and a big move to sheff utd,does'nt always work out well imo,i like cj,his raw pace is frightening but ready to play in the championship yet?i dont think so
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:36 pm

I think Martin Shaw spotted him while playing for gateshead and recommended him to Murray. Who had him watched and signed him when he was released from Sheffield utd.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:43 pm

Losing CJ won't be like if we lost Green in January of 2012. We're not a 1 man team. It would be a shame because MTFC, partly Evans, but mainly Flitcroft have made him. He is good on his day, and when he's happy he can be unplayable. However, his loss can be overcome. This team has what it takes with Grant now. I suppose we wait to see what next week brings. If he plays at Colchester will be a sign.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum