{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January Transfers Thread

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: January Transfers Thread

Postby SidneyOttewell » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:22 pm

I'm just glad it wasn't Ben Turpin! :crazy:
SidneyOttewell
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Conker » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:23 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Turner's contract is only unti the end of the season. So both he and Mirfin will be under scrutiny to see if they can earn a contract for next season.

Be hard to put Mirfin under scrutiny against part time players, he’s done at MTFC.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:13 pm

I've seen him play in the championship & premiership for Cardiff... I don't think you lot understand how good this signing is. His experience and what he'll bring to the dressing room alone will be quality. This signing will help us over the line in the coming weeks.

Derby who currently only have 2 fit centrebacks were looking at getting him on loan from Burton but he won't be for for a couple of weeks. Credit to him for getting out his contact to go and further his career.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:28 pm

Sedgwick wrote:I've seen him play in the championship & premiership for Cardiff... I don't think you lot understand how good this signing is. His experience and what he'll bring to the dressing room alone will be quality. This signing will help us over the line in the coming weeks.

Derby who currently only have 2 fit centrebacks were looking at getting him on loan from Burton but he won't be for for a couple of weeks. Credit to him for getting out his contact to go and further his career.

It's a great signing as long as his calf strain isn't like Iffy Onoura's big toe.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:01 am

Sedgwick wrote:I've seen him play in the championship & premiership for Cardiff... I don't think you lot understand how good this signing is. His experience and what he'll bring to the dressing room alone will be quality. This signing will help us over the line in the coming weeks.

Fully agree . Some people haven't got a scooby doo. This is up there with one of the best signings we have made this season . I can't believe the lack of coverage since he's signed by our fans and the negativiy on other of our forums . I'm sure they expect Messi . Defence was obviously the position we needed to strengthen and you can't get a much better realistically signing than Turner .
As you said , there were rumours Derby wanted him Burton fans can't believe he's left and a lot can't believe he's dropped to league two . Quite a few say he's Championship level . I'm over the moon with this signing . I would take Turner over Mirfin , Preston and Sweeney on reputation alone .
He will be a huge asset for us .
Great work by the Radfotds and maybe some praise is due in their direction over this signing .
Last edited by tmwilson on Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:13 am

Potentially a great signing to get us up and over the line. Just down to getting his fitness back, the sad thing is if he does well I can see bigger and better teams being in for him at the end of the contract, just as long as he gets his mission done this season I’m happy!
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby magicstag » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:15 am

Great signing for the stags.
We will need people like him on the run coys
magicstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:16 am

SidneyOttewell wrote:I'm just glad it wasn't Ben Turpin! :crazy:

Now some of us are showing our age :lol:
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby frt1987 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:57 am

Im glad it wasnt Betty Turpin
frt1987
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby sunray » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:02 pm

Couple of seasons ago JR said he would not sign players over 25 because of potential injures. Seems as though as John gets older so do the players
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:31 pm

sunray wrote:Couple of seasons ago JR said he would not sign players over 25 because of potential injures. Seems as though as John gets older so do the players

JR knows it’s daft to “buy a dog and bark yourself”

In DF, he has someone who knows more about the game than him, and he trusts his judgement.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Waggy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:36 pm

I hope it's not Keith Haslam that's come back, masquerading under the pseudonym

Bent Earner

:getmecoat:
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagshead » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:41 pm

But no one got past or went through Betty Turpin as far as I can remember. Solid defence.
stagshead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby 88BenM » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:46 pm

I think the lack of fanfair about this signing is due to lack of information about the player.

If we had signed Akins from Burton, we would all day it's a phenomenal signing as most of us have some knowledge of him and will no doubt have seen his name pop up on soccer Saturday.

Ben plays in defence so naturally he isn't going to.be as glamorous. This is an unbelievable signing really, the quality that this has added definitely means that our centre halves will need to be on their A game before he gets fit.

Amazing job from Carolyn, John, Greg Abbott & the gaffer!
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:53 pm

Hopefully Ben Turner will be our Jason Shackell. He's four years younger as well.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:54 pm

It will be nice to see Ben Turner do this for the Stags to seal automatic promotion (not at Wembley in the play offs! :shock: )

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:59 pm

Just glad it’s not the ‘actor’ Ben Dover or our promotion hopes would have been properly shafted!! :lol:
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:28 pm

Dan wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
Paulstag wrote:Quick clue.....

JL

where’s the clue from ?

He's just guessing.

*shock* :roll: