{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sensory Room

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Sensory Room

Postby Stoney » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:34 pm

I struggle to get the tweet up on here it doesn't work for me for some reason. Edit: Thanks Gazza

I saw Gazza's post on here the other day saying his son suffers with autism and that we should offer some sort of sensory room. This may not be quite enough for his son to attend as you cannot watch the game from here i don't think but what a great addition it is.

Does our club do anything wrong anymore? We should be so proud that we have a club making strides to look after everybody.

Well done MTFC.
Last edited by Stoney on Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Re: Sensory Room

Postby Amberheart » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:38 pm

That is fantastic , well done Stags
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:47 pm

For the twitter tags to work I find delete the "?s=19" bit
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:49 pm

This is half the reason I watch games on ifollow now so he can watch too if he wants to.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby The SSA » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:31 am

SSA were asked by the club for a £6,000 donation to help facilitate this so would like to thank all SSA Members and all Stags fans who support the SSA by buying badges, golden goal tickets etc which have helped contribute to this project.

You can join SSA online @ www.thessa.org
SSA Members Raised Over £100,000 for MTFC!

Stags 17/18 Matchday Pin Badges info@thessa.org
The SSA
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:01 pm

The SSA wrote:SSA were asked by the club for a £6,000 donation to help facilitate this so would like to thank all SSA Members and all Stags fans who support the SSA by buying badges, golden goal tickets etc which have helped contribute to this project.

You can join SSA online @ http://www.thessa.org

fair play
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:18 pm

Was this loaned from Spearmint Rhino by any chance? :P
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Iliketrains » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:25 pm

As an adult with high functioning autism i'd like to express my delight at seeing this at Mansfield Town. I find attending games challenging at times even now i've turned 40 and i've still not got used to all the sensory input in terms of visual and auditory stimuli that you can experience at games. It can get stressful. It's too late for me although a heated padded seat wouldn't go amiss ;) but for young kids who have autism and who are developing an interest in football (both on the increase) then a facility such as this can make or break it for both the kid and the parents.

It's a massive step forward and i am aware that some clubs now are developing their own versions of sensory rooms / areas. I believe Donny have one that is also for adults to go and take time out if need be. I was invited to try the sensory room at Clownty a few years ago which was set up in conjunction with the groundsman there whose kid has autism. I didn't accept however as i can manage in the stands and didn't want to put it out of action for a game when some kids could have used it.

I think it's great that (some) clubs are finally making themselves accessible to autistic fans of all ages. Wrexham for example are piloting a scheme at home games where they set aside an end section of seats in the stand purely for people on the autistic spectrum and their families. They assign a couple of stewards to that section and these stewards work only on that section and enable the fans with autism to see the same familiar face every game instead of different stewards every week and it can really help.

For whatever reason, autism is rapidly on the rise with more and more youngsters being born with the condition and more and more people (like myself) being diagnosed at a much older age. Autism is here to stay and football clubs and other sporting venues are starting to become more aware of this and more accepting of it which is absolutely fantastic. I've done a lot of research in this field and i am currently writing a football book about it and one thing i have discovered is that it's generally lower league clubs in the EFL pyramid that are making the effort to address things and make improvements for autistic supporters.

The big Prem clubs and Championship clubs with cash sloshing about are often sadly lacking which is a shame.

It's actually great work from the SSA, MTFC and all involved and hopefully further implementations will take place at football clubs to help even more people enjoy football and enjoy supporting their local club.
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby halifaxstag » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:58 pm

Oldham have recently given away some sensory packs to autistic supporters
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46242543
Maybe this would help some autistic Stags fans of all ages.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Wilfred » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:05 am

I am so proud to be a supporter of a club, and I include owners, staff, supporters, those who give their time voluntarily and SSA in this, that cares so much for its supporters and families. It warms my heart that so many are willing to give to help others. Well done Staggies.
Pessimists are never disappointed.
Wilfred
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:07 pm

truly excellent from both the club and the SSA, proud to belong to both
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby SINA STAG » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:45 am

[quote="Iliketrains"]As an adult with high functioning autism i'd like to express my delight at seeing this at Mansfield Town. I find attending games challenging at times even now i've turned 40 and i've still not got used to all the sensory input in terms of visual and auditory stimuli that you can experience at games. It can get stressful. [b]It's too late for me although a heated padded seat wouldn't go amiss ;) [/b] but for young kids who have autism and who are developing an interest in football (both on the increase) then a facility such as this can make or break it for both the kid and the parents.

It's a massive step forward and i am aware that some clubs now are developing their own versions of sensory rooms / areas. I believe Donny have one that is also for adults to go and take time out if need be. I was invited to try the sensory room at Clownty a few years ago which was set up in conjunction with the groundsman there whose kid has autism. I didn't accept however as i can manage in the stands and didn't want to put it out of action for a game when some kids could have used it.

I think it's great that (some) clubs are finally making themselves accessible to autistic fans of all ages. Wrexham for example are piloting a scheme at home games where they set aside an end section of seats in the stand purely for people on the autistic spectrum and their families. They assign a couple of stewards to that section and these stewards work only on that section and enable the fans with autism to see the same familiar face every game instead of different stewards every week and it can really help.

For whatever reason, autism is rapidly on the rise with more and more youngsters being born with the condition and more and more people (like myself) being diagnosed at a much older age. Autism is here to stay and football clubs and other sporting venues are starting to become more aware of this and more accepting of it which is absolutely fantastic. I've done a lot of research in this field and i am currently writing a football book about it and one thing i have discovered is that it's generally lower league clubs in the EFL pyramid that are making the effort to address things and make improvements for autistic supporters.

The big Prem clubs and Championship clubs with cash sloshing about are often sadly lacking which is a shame.

It's actually great work from the SSA, MTFC and all involved and hopefully further implementations will take place at football clubs to help even more people enjoy football and enjoy supporting their local club.[/quote]

Reference your question above have you tried the heated pads you can buy usually used for muscle or back strains you can stick them over your shirt near the base of the spine may help to give some warm comfort while watching the Stags....

Bought from BM box of 4 pads around £3
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Iliketrains » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:04 am

Haha thanks SINA STAG. I'll bear that in mind although it was slightly tongue in cheek. Wouldn't it be great if we could have more creature comforts at footy grounds though? I've heard the seats at MK Dons are pretty comfy. Not been before but we've got them on the final day of the season so i'll hopefully get a chance to try them out. :P
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby SINA STAG » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:12 am

Hopefully by then LT we'll be celebrating a promotion n back in T-shirts n Shorts lol Doesnt the stags club shop do a cushion for the seats put a couple of heat pads inside the cushion just a thought
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Iliketrains » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:22 am

Not sure SINA STAG. The heat pads sound a good idea so might look into that. No offence to anyone of a certain age but i'm far too young to be taking a cushion to football matches. Think i'd rather have the back pain. :lol:

A few concealed heat pads in strategically placed anatomical areas and nobody will be any the wiser. ;)
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby The One » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:24 am

Iliketrains wrote:Haha thanks SINA STAG. I'll bear that in mind although it was slightly tongue in cheek. Wouldn't it be great if we could have more creature comforts at footy grounds though? I've heard the seats at MK Dons are pretty comfy. Not been before but we've got them on the final day of the season so i'll hopefully get a chance to try them out. :P

They are padded and you can stretch your legs out. Also lots of outlets food etc on the concourse that runs around the ground.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:00 am

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum