{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The futures bright....

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

The futures bright....

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:00 pm

.... been thinking about this just recently.... has their ever been a better time to be a Stags fan??

A, playing some of the best football I’ve ever seen(started watching in 85).

B, Direshites are entertaining..

C, Nottingham County are entertaining..

D, see A,B & C
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Re: The futures bright....

Postby Stag95 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:02 pm

Plus a hotel and re-delopment of Bishop Street!
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:02 pm

Stag95 wrote:Plus a hotel and re-delopment of Bishop Street!

Aaaand a brand new training ground.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:31 pm

75-76 was pretty awesome
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby DE STAG » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:17 pm

bellwhiff wrote:75-76 was pretty awesome

So was 74/75, my first season supporting the Stags, happy times. I’m thoroughly enjoying watching the class of 18/19 though.
DE STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Steve North » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:37 pm

DE STAG wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:75-76 was pretty awesome

So was 74/75, my first season supporting the Stags, happy times. I’m thoroughly enjoying watching the class of 18/19 though.

My first season too - remember us beating Scunthorpe 7-0. Also, playing Carlisle in fa cup - I want to say infront of a crowd of 16k.

That said, this team has got the potential to surpass that 1970s teams’ acheivements.
Steve North
First Team
First Team

Postby northern stag » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:48 pm

I was in the crowd against Carlisle and think it was 19k plus
*just checked the vintage reports it was 18293
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Steve North » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:54 pm

northern stag wrote:I was in the crowd against Carlisle and think it was 19k plus
*just checked the vintage reports it’s was 18293

I’ve just looked at the same thing. Incredible to think that we got that size crowd. I just remember us being on top throughout the entire game and Carlisle scoring with pretty much their only shot on goal. I think Carlisle were Div 1 team at the time.
Steve North
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:10 pm

74/75 & 76/77 were brilliant seasons, not only did we win titles, they were won in style. Zero home defeats, you went to games & the only question was how many we'd win by. :D

The Mill seemed full every week. Funny someone mentioned the Carlisle game & the gate. The old Field Mill had an official capacity of about 20,000 and gates in that 74-78 period often exceeded 10,000, but there were times when a crowd would be announced by the Alan of the day and you'd be wedged in on the terrace and you'd thiink 'Really?!'.

The last two home games of the 76/77 v Portsmouth & Northampton stick in my mind as having official attendances of 10,000 or 12,000 and the place was packed to the rafters, where would they have wedged another 8,000 bodies into the ground. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:22 pm

Stag95 wrote:

What would improve the season even more is if the Peterboro chairman sacks lardy & dodgy
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:32 pm

This season reminds me of the Dearden/Watkiss era, I don't think the football is quite as good yet but it is getting there - the key thing for me though is the development of youth. This time we have a Chairman who will want to see the project through and not sell off the prize assets.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:03 pm

thefamilyvontrapp wrote:.... been thinking about this just recently.... has their ever been a better time to be a Stags fan??

A, playing some of the best football I’ve ever seen(started watching in 85).

B, Direshites are entertaining..

C, Nottingham County are entertaining..

D, see A,B & C

Look forward to seeing you at the games.......
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby oldnic » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:07 pm

I go back to the Raich Carter days and the exciting football played with Waggy being the best player ever to put on the Stags shirt, the mid 70s were special and then the Greenacre era, but now we have the best chairman to have been involved with our club. The future is bright, if not this Year, it will happen
oldnic
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:16 pm

pemill wrote:
Stag95 wrote:

What would improve the season even more is if the Peterboro chairman sacks lardy & dodgy

Who cares a rat's ass about those two rissoles now.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:33 pm

It's certainly the best it's been in my lifetime. The quality of football is better than I can ever remember and the hard work going into matching ambitions on and off the pitch is unbelievable. I know we thought last season was going to be our year, but there's so much more to be positive about this year. It's hard to see where our next defeat is going to come from at the moment.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:39 pm

ParisStag wrote:It's certainly the best it's been in my lifetime. The quality of football is better than I can ever remember and the hard work going into matching ambitions on and off the pitch is unbelievable. I know we thought last season was going to be our year, but there's so much more to be positive about this year. It's hard to see where our next defeat is going to come from at the moment.

That's put the mockers on Tuesday then :(
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:42 pm

Spiritater wrote:
ParisStag wrote:It's certainly the best it's been in my lifetime. The quality of football is better than I can ever remember and the hard work going into matching ambitions on and off the pitch is unbelievable. I know we thought last season was going to be our year, but there's so much more to be positive about this year. It's hard to see where our next defeat is going to come from at the moment.

Naaah I don't believe in any of that stuff. We should be confident in our unbeaten run and the fact that we're as good as we are.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:52 pm

we need a goal scorer ......then we are set
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:56 pm

ParisStag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

Naaah I don't believe in any of that stuff. We should be confident in our unbeaten run and the fact that we're as good as we are.
The squad is tired after playing Saturday/Tuesday for several weeks. I think the Crawley game will be the eighth game played this month. This will be a factor on Tuesday. It isn't a given we will win on Tuesday.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:58 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

The squad is tired after playing Saturday/Tuesday for several weeks. I think the Crawley game will be the eighth game played this month. This will be a factor on Tuesday. It isn't a given we will win on Tuesday.

I'm not saying it is. I'm saying I can't see us losing.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:10 am

Norman won’t be back here for a very long time!
:shock:
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby pemill » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:58 am

Amber Andy wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

It's been a heavy schedule for sure but do have Saturday off this week
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:16 am

pemill wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

It's been a heavy schedule for sure but do have Saturday off this week

Plus next Tuesday is the Checkatrade which gives us the opportunity to further rest key players. Hopefully the lads have one last big performance in them before they get a decent break.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:39 am

Amber Andy wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

The Crawley game on Tuesday is precisely the sort of game that we could unexpectedly lose. The heavy match schedule could well take its toll- and it is vital during this phase that we don't train too much to enable maximum recovery between games.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby AlfStag » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:53 am

As a new fan this season I have to say I do feel I've fallen on my feet finally deciding to pitch up on a match day and see what was happening with The Stags. I've been immediately hooked by the football, the optimism, and the potential that surrounds this club at the moment. If this momentum carries on there'll be plenty more joining the ranks I'd say.
AlfStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum