{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby Foresttownstag » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:21 am

tmwilson wrote:People going on about all the teams are sussing us out ? What a load of rubbish . Every away team would of sent someone out to watch us beforehand so why has it taken over half a season for them to click on ?
I've seen people say it started against Bury . Bury were flying high . On form and we all expected a tough game . It wasn't pretty to watch but we won . The draw against Swindon was one of the most exciting 0.0 I have seen . We beat Grimsby away . Always a tough game and another team who was on form . For Grimsby fans to say we were very good and will go up automatically, well there i's no better compliment .
Carlisle away was always going to be tough . We was beaten by the better team and we didn't help ourselves be getting a man sent off but we still played with fight and character .
Yeovil was the worse we have played at home . Maybe the defeat at Carlisle affected them ? Maybe tiredness set it ? We have more or less plated the same starting 11 over the Christmas period .
I know this will come to a shock to some but believe it or not , teams lose . Players go missing . Yeovil didn't suss us out . We were poor and that was down to the majority of the team having a bad game .
Every week throughout the leagues , there are shock results . If it was that easy predicting results , we would all be rich .
Last night was untidy , disjointed and far from our best but we had two new players coming into the team . Preston missing and players playing out of position . That's why we wasn't as effective as usually . Not because they sussed us out .
Do some on here follow these teams we play ? How do we know they changed tactics to play us . They could play like that week in week out . Crawley were better than Yeovil but we won . Why can't we give the team credit for that . That game could of easily finished 3.1
I was thinking of going to Colchester but since we have been sussed out I'm not sure I will bother .


You won’t go to Colchester because we’ve been “sussed out”. We are 3rd in League Two, enjoying our best season for a LONG time, a big game against a fellow promotion hopeful.
User avatar
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3715
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:47 am
Location: Forest Town

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby victor A block » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:25 am

Thought Mellis struggled last night and CJ less effective, but Grant was excellent and Bishop his normal self so it's about tweaking how the midfield interacts.
victor A block
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1556
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:25 pm

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:44 am

They had done their homework and kept CJ on a tight rein with two men on him at all times.

My major concern is th e sudden lack of consistancy from our back three,. On Saturday all three were at sea, last night Sweeney way awful unless the ball was in the air, Pierce began to look his old self.

Do we need cover at the back, answer must be certainly we do.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3679
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:02 am

tmwilson wrote:Bury were flying high . On form and we all expected a tough game . It wasn't pretty to watch but we won .

I recall the Bury game as a great advert for League Two and we were fabulous.

https://stagsnet.net/match/reports/view ... atchid=965
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 20931
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:26 am

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the disgusting reaction of Palmer when play was stopped when 2 of our players clashed heads.

The way he lambasted the ref was nothing short of abysmal and shows what an obnoxious individual he really is. He should have been booked for that reaction and it was just one example of the ref bottling decisions when it came to punishment. He should also have given their number 2 (and that's exactly what he was) a second yellow for pulling the player back in the second half. The ref saw it and gave the foul but failed to deliver the punishment.

I feel the refs lack of action was a major factor why we struggled so much as he gave the Crawley players licence to do what they wanted to break play up. With impunity.
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3708
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:34 am

A disjointed performance against a decent Crawley side who came and had a go and gave us a good game. They could easily have walked away with a point as Jordan Smith had to make two very good saves from Poleon and Palmer and they also hit the post with a header by Connolly from a free kick. Ryan Sweeney did not have his best game in defence and was guilty of giving the ball away on a couple of occasions including when Palmer nearly scored.

The general view from the fans near me was that we were a little disjointed and trying to play too much intricate tippy tappy football in the final third where we needed to be more incisive. Possession with penetration was required. We did not create many chances. Jorge Grant was my Man of the Match. He was lively throughout and constantly wanted to get on the ball and get us moving forward. He's also not scared to get into the penalty area which Jacob Mellis does not do as much when he plays in that role. He was guilty at times of trying to play the wonder ball to his mate Tyler instead of passing to CJ or Benning who were in space. I also thought his set pieces would be better. Our set pieces were poor last night as they have been throughout most of the season. Jorge Grant is clearly a quality player though and he will hopefully improve as he builds up an understanding with the rest of the players.

Nicky Ajose had a frustrating debut. He had a left foot shot saved in the 2nd minute and then missed a virtual open goal with our best chance of the night. I bet JR was shouting "You had one job!". Tyler Walker saved the day though after a miraculous recovery and cross by Hayden White. He had one decent chance and he stuck it in the net which is what we all have been wanting him to do. Krystian Pearce had a great battle against Ollie Palmer who is a handful and who was the best centre forward on the pitch in the 1st half. It was a great block by Krystian on the follow up shot after Ollie's shot was saved. I'd love to have Ollie on our bench as a Plan B but Ollie could have stayed at Lincoln and done that and he is better off starting and playing. I also think David Flitcroft is not intending to use a Plan B and will just stick with the shorter quick passing game instead of being more direct. We also have young Jordan Graham who could be our secret Plan B. I thought DF might have brought him on for the last 10 minutes last night but he switched CJ over to the left and pushed Hayden down the right and it worked.

I thought Lewis Young (Ashley Young's brother) was lucky to stay on the pitch as he committed two further fouls in the 2nd half and could easily have been given another yellow card.

Overall a frustrating and disjointed game but we just needed to get the three points any way we could before we move on to the tougher game against Colchester. I'll take a few more disjointed 1-0 wins if it gets us promotion.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7781
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby Hjeldefan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:35 am

Really important win in the end, but we will struggle to break teams down playing that formation at home. We changed to 442 and scored within 5-10mins, no idea why we don't start with 4 at the back.
Hjeldefan
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:46 am

Hjeldefan wrote:Really important win in the end, but we will struggle to break teams down playing that formation at home. We changed to 442 and scored within 5-10mins, no idea why we don't start with 4 at the back.


So we scored purely because we switched things around? :lol: :lol: never ceases to amaze me how short sighted and entitled some fans are. We have played this formation every game this season as far as I'm aware with the odd change to adapt in game and we currently sit 3rd in the league and whichever way you look at it that doesn't happen by chance in mid January.

Had 2 geniuses near me last night who I can only assume have won multiple managerial awards one stating very loudly we should be battering teams like this if we want promotion the other stating every 5 minutes change formation well news flash one football don't work like that. News flash 2 Flitcroft is not going to change formation and he would be mad to in my opinion.

I am only puzzled as to why when CJ plays there he shackles himself so far back he and White have the pace to cover so he needs to release himself more although thats nitpicking as its not his natural position.

It wasn't fluid last night but we stuck at the task and ground out a win and that is what promotion winning teams do.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:24 am

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:55 am

The 3 points was vital and think that we are having a bit of a purple patch and with new additions might take some time to get the mix right
the game Sat will be interesting as that is a bit of a six pointer as Colchester are a biggish club and will be there at the end in the mix no doubt and if we end up play offs they may be one of teams we face.

we are capable of top 3 but not sure we are fully on song and dominating enough and need to start putting the chances firmly away.

Glad at least Ollie did not pop up with one of his goal line tap in scrambles!!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3408
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:28 am

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:13 pm

oldweststander wrote:They had done their homework and kept CJ on a tight rein with two men on him at all times.

My major concern is th e sudden lack of consistancy from our back three,. On Saturday all three were at sea, last night Sweeney way awful unless the ball was in the air, Pierce began to look his old self.

Do we need cover at the back, answer must be certainly we do.

They did have two men on him, but I noticed against Yeovil they sometimes had four men around him, they’re that scared of him which allowed Grant all the space he wanted. Yeovil were much better imo than Crawley.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3884
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby Hjeldefan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:20 pm

kcassellsfootygenius wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:Really important win in the end, but we will struggle to break teams down playing that formation at home. We changed to 442 and scored within 5-10mins, no idea why we don't start with 4 at the back.


So we scored purely because we switched things around? :lol: :lol: never ceases to amaze me how short sighted and entitled some fans are. We have played this formation every game this season as far as I'm aware with the odd change to adapt in game and we currently sit 3rd in the league and whichever way you look at it that doesn't happen by chance in mid January.

Had 2 geniuses near me last night who I can only assume have won multiple managerial awards one stating very loudly we should be battering teams like this if we want promotion the other stating every 5 minutes change formation well news flash one football don't work like that. News flash 2 Flitcroft is not going to change formation and he would be mad to in my opinion.

I am only puzzled as to why when CJ plays there he shackles himself so far back he and White have the pace to cover so he needs to release himself more although thats nitpicking as its not his natural position.

It wasn't fluid last night but we stuck at the task and ground out a win and that is what promotion winning teams do.


Not sure what was entitled about my statement? We did struggle to break them down (as we have done at home numerous times this season) and we did score after we changed it. I never expect us to batter teams as like you say, its unrealistic, but I think that the formation didn't work last night largely because our most dangerous player in CJ was far too deep at times to cause enough problems.

Newsflash, this is a forum. It is about opinions. I put forward mine, whilst also stating how big a win it was.
Hjeldefan
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby scotsstag » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:43 pm

So, three tough games coming up against good opposition.
Be typical Stags to win all three convincingly, scoring plenty of goals, and bagging nine points.
:mtfc:
scotsstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:43 am
Location: SCOTLAND

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:
tmwilson wrote:People going on about all the teams are sussing us out ? What a load of rubbish . Every away team would of sent someone out to watch us beforehand so why has it taken over half a season for them to click on ?
I've seen people say it started against Bury . Bury were flying high . On form and we all expected a tough game . It wasn't pretty to watch but we won . The draw against Swindon was one of the most exciting 0.0 I have seen . We beat Grimsby away . Always a tough game and another team who was on form . For Grimsby fans to say we were very good and will go up automatically, well there i's no better compliment .
Carlisle away was always going to be tough . We was beaten by the better team and we didn't help ourselves be getting a man sent off but we still played with fight and character .
Yeovil was the worse we have played at home . Maybe the defeat at Carlisle affected them ? Maybe tiredness set it ? We have more or less plated the same starting 11 over the Christmas period .
I know this will come to a shock to some but believe it or not , teams lose . Players go missing . Yeovil didn't suss us out . We were poor and that was down to the majority of the team having a bad game .
Every week throughout the leagues , there are shock results . If it was that easy predicting results , we would all be rich .
Last night was untidy , disjointed and far from our best but we had two new players coming into the team . Preston missing and players playing out of position . That's why we wasn't as effective as usually . Not because they sussed us out .
Do some on here follow these teams we play ? How do we know they changed tactics to play us . They could play like that week in week out . Crawley were better than Yeovil but we won . Why can't we give the team credit for that . That game could of easily finished 3.1
I was thinking of going to Colchester but since we have been sussed out I'm not sure I will bother .


You won’t go to Colchester because we’ve been “sussed out”. We are 3rd in League Two, enjoying our best season for a LONG time, a big game against a fellow promotion hopeful.


I think tmw was being a little sarcastic FTS
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:56 pm

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:15 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
tmwilson wrote:Bury were flying high . On form and we all expected a tough game . It wasn't pretty to watch but we won .

I recall the Bury game as a great advert for League Two and we were fabulous.

https://stagsnet.net/match/reports/view ... atchid=965


I believe he must be referring to last night (as in it wasn't pretty to watch), the Bury game was one of the best at the Mill in years and years.

However, you just never know on here, some of our fans are starting to sound a bit like Luton fans - entitled.
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5265
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby adamstag » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:24 pm

Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
tmwilson wrote:Bury were flying high . On form and we all expected a tough game . It wasn't pretty to watch but we won .

I recall the Bury game as a great advert for League Two and we were fabulous.

https://stagsnet.net/match/reports/view ... atchid=965


I believe he must be referring to last night (as in it wasn't pretty to watch), the Bury game was one of the best at the Mill in years and years.

However, you just never know on here, some of our fans are starting to sound a bit like Luton fans - entitled.


Agreed - it was a cracking game of football and one you enjoyed that little bit more as you'd beaten a very decent outfit.

I think there is a good 5 or 6 teams which will have very realistic aspirations of promotion this season - i'd rate our chances 55/45 currently
adamstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8271
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby sw19stag » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:32 pm

Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
tmwilson wrote:Bury were flying high . On form and we all expected a tough game . It wasn't pretty to watch but we won .

I recall the Bury game as a great advert for League Two and we were fabulous.

https://stagsnet.net/match/reports/view ... atchid=965


[i]I believe he must be referring to last night (as in it wasn't pretty to watch),

I don't think so Rob.
sw19stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:51 am

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby Stags 2002 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:44 pm

scotsstag wrote:So, three tough games coming up against good opposition.
Be typical Stags to win all three convincingly, scoring plenty of goals, and bagging nine points.
:mtfc:


Not sure about Tranmere coming to us but at least Colchester and Forest Green won't be set up thinking about securing a draw or a smash and grab like Swindon, Yeovil and Crawley recently.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2438
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:49 pm

For me it was a game with 2 debutees and a keeper still gelling with his back line. Given the past 2 losses then a win, however it came, was a positive
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
User avatar
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2979
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby Sneag » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:55 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:For me it was a game with 2 debutees and a keeper still gelling with his back line. Given the past 2 losses then a win, however it came, was a positive


It was the kind of win promotion winning teams get. Scrappy, bit under par, last minute winner then don't give the opposition a sniff of the ball in added time. 8-)
Logic is lost in your cranial abatoir,
Shallow empty inside,
Sly witted and full of snide.
User avatar
Sneag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9480
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:41 pm
Location: King Solomon he never lived `round here

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:58 pm

Sneag wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:For me it was a game with 2 debutees and a keeper still gelling with his back line. Given the past 2 losses then a win, however it came, was a positive


It was the kind of win promotion winning teams get. Scrappy, bit under par, last minute winner then don't give the opposition a sniff of the ball in added time. 8-)


It was only a bit under par because of generally how good we have been this season. If we'd played that sort of football under any of our previous managers of the last decade we'd be raving about it. Just watch the clips, we played some great attacking football, it just was a bit hit and miss. I think we have become spoiled.
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5265
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby MOTG » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:25 pm

Yes we were a little under par yet we did also play some good football. We are not going to have it all our own way just because teams are below us in the table.

There seemed to be some atmosphere of “Anticipation “ amongst the fans not wanting our new signings to make a mistake which is only natural .

When everything does click together I get the feeling that one or two of the teams in the league will get a Drubbing and it could well be a team we least expect to be on the receiving end .
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:52 am

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby Dan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:44 pm

Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8154
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby mousemousemouse » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:22 am

Jordan Smiths distribution was fantastic, too. Was quick to get it out into to a player
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:45 pm

Re: Creepy Scorefred sponsored by One Step Beyond

Postby tmwilson » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:11 am

Foresttownstag wrote:
tmwilson wrote:People going on about all the teams are sussing us out ? What a load of rubbish . Every away team would of sent someone out to watch us beforehand so why has it taken over half a season for them to click on ?
I've seen people say it started against Bury . Bury were flying high . On form and we all expected a tough game . It wasn't pretty to watch but we won . The draw against Swindon was one of the most exciting 0.0 I have seen . We beat Grimsby away . Always a tough game and another team who was on form . For Grimsby fans to say we were very good and will go up automatically, well there i's no better compliment .
Carlisle away was always going to be tough . We was beaten by the better team and we didn't help ourselves be getting a man sent off but we still played with fight and character .
Yeovil was the worse we have played at home . Maybe the defeat at Carlisle affected them ? Maybe tiredness set it ? We have more or less plated the same starting 11 over the Christmas period .
I know this will come to a shock to some but believe it or not , teams lose . Players go missing . Yeovil didn't suss us out . We were poor and that was down to the majority of the team having a bad game .
Every week throughout the leagues , there are shock results . If it was that easy predicting results , we would all be rich .
Last night was untidy , disjointed and far from our best but we had two new players coming into the team . Preston missing and players playing out of position . That's why we wasn't as effective as usually . Not because they sussed us out .
Do some on here follow these teams we play ? How do we know they changed tactics to play us . They could play like that week in week out . Crawley were better than Yeovil but we won . Why can't we give the team credit for that . That game could of easily finished 3.1
I was thinking of going to Colchester but since we have been sussed out I'm not sure I will bother .


You won’t go to Colchester because we’ve been “sussed out”. We are 3rd in League Two, enjoying our best season for a LONG time, a big game against a fellow promotion hopeful.


My comment was a bit tongue in cheek
tmwilson
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2175
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:38 pm

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nutty Stag, old ram stag, Sandy Pate Best Stag, snipe, Spiritater, spizz fan, Tippy Tappy Football, yellowstag and 35 guests