{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Just a thought - naming the new stand

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Just a thought - naming the new stand

Postby Gruff » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:12 am

I'd thought about this some time ago, and with the sad news of another Stags fan passing away, I thought I'd air it on the Board to see what others thought.

With the redevelopment of the Bishop Street stand seemingly becoming a reality, then if the club made it a small "all-seater" stand (2,500?) we could call/name it the Memorial Stand. You could pay to have a small plaque on a seat for about £40 (random number) a year with the name etc. of a passed loved one who used to follow the Stags, so they could be there in spirit. You don't have to sit there yourself, just pay for the memorial plaque, and receive a notionary season pass for your loved one. Naturally, this would also help provide a revenue to the club (with my numbers, around £100,000 a year)

There could be a board/display in the Stand with pictures of legendary ex-Stags, with some of their club achievements, who have sadly lost their lives (Hodgson, Miller, Greaves etc.).... just as a lasting dedication to those who have helped the club along the years.

I'd buy one for my Dad, who took me to my first match back in the early 70's and passed away in 2006, as I'm sure he would have loved to have been there during this resurgence in the club's fortunes.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw it out there to see what others thought, and whether anybody thought it might be a worthwhile suggestion to put forward to the club.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Just a thought

Postby 88BenM » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:39 am

A great idea, something which the club could definitely look at. Having a whole stand may be an overestimate but certainly a section of that stand could be dedicated to this in my opinion. A lovely thought.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:24 am

Nice idea, I’m hoping the new bishop street becomes a safer standing area when/if completed
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:51 am

I've a Brick in the Wall for my Dad.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Re: Just a thought - naming the new stand

Postby oldweststander » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:00 am

So we are now having a stand and not a hotel, well I never.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:07 am

oldweststander wrote:So we are now having a stand and not a hotel, well I never.
Has a decision been made ?

I do like Gruff's idea.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:07 am

I think the plans are for a terrace unless it’s changed.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:16 am

I think this is a great idea that should generate additional revenue and give stags fans a way of showing their family connections to the club.
I feel it should definately be brought forward.
I do not necessarily think that it should necessarily be incorporated into any plans for the new stand. It may notbe appropriate if we were to use that stand for away followers or only as an overspill facility.
My own thought are it maybe better in the family enclosure. This may give a greater continuity for future generations of fans.
On this note I'd like to see the new stand for visitors as it would proved better access and exit arrangements. It would also give us back the north stand and negate the need for the dreadful Gabittas Gate!
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bradders » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 am

The "Neal Bishop Stand", after the midfielder who scored the vital goal to win promotion at the end of the 2018/19 season? ;)

I prefer hanging on to the old name really, to remain connected with as much of our heritage as possible (it's great that the old clock is there). It can still have memorials and sponsors.
If I had the money to redevelop it personally, I'd call it the "Bishop Street Stand". Much like everyone prefers the "Quarry Lane End" even though it's officially "South Stand"
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby MickHead » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:22 pm

Great idea. Worth putting forward to the club if/when the new stand does go ahead
MickHead
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:44 pm

Would this stand, geographically become the dead centre of Field Mill?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:22 pm

Why would we want to keep the name of the stand after one of the most scruffiest streets in Mansfield? A new stand must be named something other than "Bishop street stand"

I think a block in the new stand for memorials is a good idea. One nice feature of the Proact stadium is they have a memorial garden dedicated to lost former players and fans.
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby BELSE » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:10 pm

good plan but i would name it John Radford stand and have names that we have lost either side
BELSE
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:53 pm

I would relocate the family stand to this new facility.

The old stand was always the best view of the ground being close to the pitch but elevated enough to see proper patterns. I thought it a shame when Haslem moved the kids to the upper west stand, a decision I could never understand as Bishop Street had not been condemned at that point.

It would also open up more of the Quarry Lane Stand for discount ticket holders.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:31 pm

[quote="Spiritater"]I've a Brick in the Wall for my Dad.[/quote]

Was he a Pink Floyd Fan ?

Nice idea my dad never followed football I always asked even begged him to come to a match n I received the same answer everytime when I asked....

come to see the Stags dad ?

They don't come to see me when I'm bad :roll:
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby oldnic » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:56 pm

Being tall i used to find entering through the tiny entrance on Bishop street difficult. Prefered using another entrance and paying extra shilling to sit on old wooden seats using the tiny door on the side of the old stand. Always wondered how much money was collected by the steward, sometimes we got to sit down free
oldnic
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby oldnic » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Met Billy Wright using the Bishop street stand when he switched the floodlights on.
oldnic
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Foresttownstag » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:20 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Would this stand, geographically become the dead centre of Field Mill?

Nice and subtle Mr Spartacus, as always.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby DE STAG » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:21 pm

Will they supply sun glasses on entry into the new stand A sunny day in the old stand meant a serious case of retina burn!
DE STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:03 pm

I stood on the terrace as a nipper and couldn’t see the pitch
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:51 pm

I think it is a lovely thought to dedicate seats in that way - and it doesn't need to be limited to the Bishop St. stand, as the revenue could be generated from anywhere in the stadium.

The big questions about the new Bishop St. stand are:-

1. Should it be seating or terraced?
2. Should it incorporate executive boxes?
3. Should it be for away supporters only? - Or should it be flexible to accommodate home support plus the 'over-spill' of away supporters?
4. Where and how will the press & TV gantry be housed?
5. Where will the mangers/coaches technical area be housed?
6. Should it house the 'family area'?
7. How far will the stand need to move towards the West Stand to accommodate any (or all) of the above?

It would be good to see the answers to all of these questions, alongside the actual designs of the new stand.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:46 pm

Vice President wrote:I think it is a lovely thought to dedicate seats in that way - and it doesn't need to be limited to the Bishop St. stand, as the revenue could be generated from anywhere in the stadium.

The big questions about the new Bishop St. stand are:-

1. Should it be seating or terraced? Standing
2. Should it incorporate executive boxes? Yes
3. Should it be for away supporters only? - Or should it be flexible to accommodate home support plus the 'over-spill' of away supporters? Split it in half (if possible) when needed for bigger games or against sides with large followings.
4. Where and how will the press & TV gantry be housed? Same way as it is now i’d Imagine, sat back or relocate it into IGS
5. Where will the mangers/coaches technical area be housed? I’d leave them where they are now
6. Should it house the 'family area'?
7. How far will the stand need to move towards the West Stand to accommodate any (or all) of the above? Interesting point, I’d guess at quite a bit as there doesn’t look much room at present.

It would be good to see the answers to all of these questions, alongside the actual designs of the new stand.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:59 pm

bellwhiff wrote:I stood on the terrace as a nipper and couldn’t see the pitch

Me too :lol: My first 7 or so years a fan were spent there, moving to the North in the early 80s. I used to watch the Reserves from there too as it was usually the only stand open.

It is the Bishop St Stand, always will be. Just like we play at Field Mill.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby DE STAG » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:54 pm

If you wanted to stand at the front, you needed to be at least 6ft tall to see over the barrier... either that or a bring an empty milk crate with you!
DE STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Spiritater » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:55 am

It, when built should be given to the away fans. It on a sunny late Autumn/Winter's/early Spring day has the most God awful view of a ground. One of the reasons we are now ensconced in the Jimmy Sirrel Stand at Mardy Lane is that when the sun's at that angle you can't see a deal and spend most of the time shading your eyes from the unbearable glare.
If you think it's bunkum just think back to Nolan's first game in charge and the 0-0 draw.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum