{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Just a thought - naming the new stand

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Just a thought - naming the new stand

Postby Gruff » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:41 am

When I used to go there in the early 70's I stood up on the ledge of the advertising hoardings, not on the steps behind. Always remember 3 very colourful characters who stood behind me, one looked like Sid James, another like Giant Haystacks and the third like the little guy off Fantasy Island... I learned a lot of new words thanks to those three :lol
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:58 am

Gruff wrote:When I used to go there in the early 70's I stood up on the ledge of the advertising hoardings, not on the steps behind. Always remember 3 very colourful characters who stood behind me, one looked like Sid James, another like Giant Haystacks and the third like the little guy off Fantasy Island... I learned a lot of new words thanks to those three :lol

That's exactly what I used to do too, 74 was the first game I can remember, but my granddad first took me in 72. I still every now and then went in there right up until it was fully closed.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:27 pm

Bishop St. gives a great view of the West stand and the stadium as a whole. If it was used for away supporters, it would give them a better match day experience, and it would increase the atmosphere at the games, as the crowd interaction and noise levels would be around the whole of the pitch.

Someone mentioned that the atmosphere could be reduced due to concentrations of the crowd being more dispersed ..... but that isn't the case at all the other 99% grounds that have 4 sides.

People who dismiss developing Bishop St. as being 'unnecessary', or a 'vanity project' fail to see how it would improve the match day experience for everyone (for the fans, the coaches and the players).
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:30 pm

Vice President wrote:Bishop St. gives a great view of the West stand and the stadium as a whole. If it was used for away supporters, it would give them a better match day experience, and it would increase the atmosphere at the games, as the crowd interaction and noise levels would be around the whole of the pitch.

Someone mentioned that the atmosphere could be reduced due to concentrations of the crowd being more dispersed ..... but that isn't the case at all the other 99% grounds that have 4 sides.

People who dismiss developing Bishop St. as being 'unnecessary', or a 'vanity project' fail to see how it would improve the match day experience for everyone (for the fans, the coaches and the players).

Good post
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:38 pm

Vice President wrote:Bishop St. gives a great view of the West stand and the stadium as a whole. If it was used for away supporters, it would give them a better match day experience, and it would increase the atmosphere at the games, as the crowd interaction and noise levels would be around the whole of the pitch.

Filling in the corners between IGS at QLE and North Stand would be improvement
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Steve North » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:42 pm

Gruff wrote:When I used to go there in the early 70's I stood up on the ledge of the advertising hoardings, not on the steps behind. Always remember 3 very colourful characters who stood behind me, one looked like Sid James, another like Giant Haystacks and the third like the little guy off Fantasy Island... I learned a lot of new words thanks to those three :lol

Blimey, I remember those 3 characters. Your description is very accurate. Me and my best mate, Tim Taylor used to stand on that ledge too. It got to the stage when we were looking at those 3 more than the game in front of us. Over 2 years we had built up a whole imaginary existence around them - we imagined them to be incompetent bank robbers. The one who looked like Giant Haystacks was the gang leader, he was called Fred Bouncer and the Sid James one was Bogsy and the little one was called Smogsy. We were only 9 years old at the time. That said, we still talk about them now. Memorable days.
Steve North
First Team
First Team

Postby Gruff » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:45 pm

Happy times.... and I bet you were also watching the lovely old lady (with the lump on her neck) selling the sweets and drinks and she walked around the pitch.

PS - Smogsy was the brains of the outfit.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:06 am

Wasn't there talk of making it executive boxes?

My eldest son has autism and while he has an interest in football he can't come watch because of the noise. We tried ear defenders but he doesn't like wearing them for too long.

Maybe build a row of boxes and one can be a quiet area where any fan with autism who needs to get away from the noise can still watch the game. AFC Bournemouth do a sensory pack which includes club branded noise cancelling headphones.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:14 am

My first game was also in the Bish in 91. I sat right opposite the tunnel as as sent off Stags player chased a sent of Crewe player down it for some afters.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:48 am

ParisStag wrote:My first game was also in the Bish in 91. I sat right opposite the tunnel as as sent off Stags player chased a sent of Crewe player down it for some afters.

I think that was Trevor Christie.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby waddostag » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:59 am

Always used to go in the North stand as a kid, but if Mansfield kicked towards Quarry Lane in the second half, would try to move into the Bishop Street stand for a better view of our attacks. Sometimes we were lucky enough to get into the seated area for free, but usually ended up stood on the ledges banging the advertising boards to create noise.
It was actually quite dangerous stood on the ledge and remember slipping off once celebrating a goal and cutting my leg pretty badly.
waddostag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:02 am

HU7stag wrote:
ParisStag wrote:My first game was also in the Bish in 91. I sat right opposite the tunnel as as sent off Stags player chased a sent of Crewe player down it for some afters.

I think that was Trevor Christie.

It was indeed. The player on the recieving end was Dale Jasper.

I remember telling my young nephews at the time that violence solves nothing. :lol:

Like a lot of people I watched my first games from the Bish and it was the family stand when I started taking my nephews.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby joey bananas » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:38 pm

Started going in 86/87 and never once stood or sat in the Bishop st stand. If my memory serves me right, during my latter school years where I never missed a home game I can sort of remember it not being used at this time ?? Then by the time the MTFC seats went in and it was used again I was a west stand convert.
Sort of feel like I've missed out ha ha.
He who laughs last clearly didn't get it...
joey bananas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby leostag » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:35 pm

Would prefer to see home fans in the Bishop St. The team needs support from both sides of the ground.
leostag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:56 pm

Could we name the entrances after those who have served??

I.e. The Malvin Benning Turnstile
The Calvin Andrew Turnstile etc
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:03 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Could we name the entrances after those who have served??

I like it. Name random stuff too. The Frazer McLachlan toilet.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:51 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

And in this toilet would we have the Keith Haslam Urinals with his face on? No one will ever miss!
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:53 am

I am Spartacus wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

And in this toilet would we have the Keith Haslam Urinals with his face on? No one will ever miss!

Now that's a very good idea. Perhaps we could have some with Steve 'Fatty Arbuckle' Evans' face on for the younger fans to aim at. There are also a few opposition players who have riled the fans over the years who may also be included.

It would be interesting to watch which urinal the queues were forming at to judge who was most unpopular at the time. Perhaps Spartacus could run a book on it and get some of his 2-0 money back.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:57 am

Only one name, The Dave Smith Stand.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:12 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Now that's a very good idea. Perhaps we could have some with Steve 'Fatty Arbuckle' Evans' face on for the younger fans to aim at. There are also a few opposition players who have riled the fans over the years who may also be included.

It would be interesting to watch which urinal the queues were forming at to judge who was most unpopular at the time. Perhaps Spartacus could run a book on it and get some of his 2-0 money back.

Nicky Law, was always very popular here.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:38 am

Marco Gabbiadini and Peter Beagrie always got the crowd going and then there was that conference striker who's name escapes me. Played for York and a few more and was tipped to go far at the time. Richard Brodie (it's just come to me)
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:40 pm

Excellent thinking Gruff, well done, and yes my Dad took me the same in the late 60's into early seventies and he too looking down would love all the changes and progress in the club too
Def one to think about JR
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:30 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Wasn't there talk of making it executive boxes?

My eldest son has autism and while he has an interest in football he can't come watch because of the noise. We tried ear defenders but he doesn't like wearing them for too long.

Maybe build a row of boxes and one can be a quiet area where any fan with autism who needs to get away from the noise can still watch the game. AFC Bournemouth do a sensory pack which includes club branded noise cancelling headphones.

https://twitter.com/mansfieldtownfc/sta ... 97474?s=19

Does our club do anything wrong anymore?
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:45 pm

Stoney wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Wasn't there talk of making it executive boxes?

https://twitter.com/mansfieldtownfc/sta ... 97474?s=19

Does our club do anything wrong anymore?

Yeah I've just seen that. Excellent from the club. Certainly would help my situation. Is there a way to watch the game should me son need to use it?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:47 pm

I've just created a thread mate I think it deserves one on its own, amazing from the club.

I'd give them a ring and see what they say about it. Hope your lad can start coming and enjoying watching the Stags getting promoted with his dad!
Stoney
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum