{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Mansfield v Lincoln - is it a derby? Is there rivalry?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Mansfield v Lincoln - is it a derby? Is there rivalry?

Postby Imp81 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:06 pm

Hello - Lincoln fan here. What is the general thoughts about the Imps from Stags fans? Do you consider Mansfield v Lincoln a "derby" - are we considered your rivals?

I'm having a bit of a debate amongst a good few other Lincoln fans, who seem to think it IS a derby and that there's rivalry between the two clubs. I personally disagree; despite the locality, I always thought you would consider Chesterfield and Notts County to be rivals before us (and it would be reciprocated.) I have never thought that there is a real sense of reciprocated rivalry between Lincoln and Mansfield; therefore, I don't consider the fixture to be a derby.

Thoughts?
Imp81
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Mansfield v Lincoln - is it a derby? Is there rivalry?

Postby Binghamstag » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:15 pm

Never think of it as a local derby. Chesterfield will always come first as a derby game but since Lincoln decided they are the biggest team in the division I don't mind beating them lol whatever the result Saturday I think both team will be promoted this season .
Binghamstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:16 pm

To be blunt with you, you are not rivals as such.... just quite a local game for us to partake...!!!
We only have one proper derby rival but we won’t be playing them for a very very long time!!
We do have a couple of local games that we like to go to... Derbys yes... rivalries no...!!!
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:24 pm

Personally I do see it as a derby. Not to the same extent as Chesterfield and County but still a derby just about. Rivals, probably moreso now that Chesterfield have gone down and County are near the bottom whilst we’re both going for promotion.
Can see why people would think differently though.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:26 pm

It's about as much a derby as the yorkshire teams we play, it just so happens we play you more often than the likes of Rotherham, York etc nowadays.

Obviously more to it than most games, due to it being local and promotion rivals but that's it.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Admiral Sook » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:27 pm

I do see you as local rivals but its never like playing the Direites, then Nottingham County. Don't get me wrong, I love getting a result against you but the same intensity isn't there for me.
Admiral Sook
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:28 pm

I think Notts and Chesterfield are what we would ordinarily consider rivals, but there’s been more of a rivalry built up with Lincoln in the last decade or so purely as a result of us having played Lincoln more regularly. There are a few on here who visit Sincil Bank every now and again, I don't think you'd get anyone who'd do that with Chesterfield & County - a lot of us wanted you to get promoted from the Conference too, again not many want the Spireites to do that. I think there was a point pre-Cowleys when we almost looked at Lincoln with a bit of disdain as there seemed to be so many ex-Stags there - I think there was a thread on here that referred to Lincoln as our 2nd team at the time.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:37 pm

I see it as like the Luton games in the Conference. Lincoln fans seem to think they're superior to the rest of the league because they're filling their ground all of a sudden. I don't like the Cowley's either. And I hope we win just to see another one of those snivelling blogs akin to after the checkatrade game.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:44 pm

I've got mates who support Lincoln. I'd never befriend a Spireite.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:45 pm

certainly it is a local derby. And there is rivalry too. Just not as much as with Chesterfield or Notts County.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yellowstagsfan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:48 pm

Imp81 wrote:Hello - Lincoln fan here. What is the general thoughts about the Imps from Stags fans? Do you consider Mansfield v Lincoln a "derby" - are we considered your rivals?

I'm having a bit of a debate amongst a good few other Lincoln fans, who seem to think it IS a derby and that there's rivalry between the two clubs. I personally disagree; despite the locality, I always thought you would consider Chesterfield and Notts County to be rivals before us (and it would be reciprocated.) I have never thought that there is a real sense of reciprocated rivalry between Lincoln and Mansfield; therefore, I don't consider the fixture to be a derby.

Thoughts?

Losing a lot of our nearest rivals just lately eg Spireites probably County next so yes you are our rivals and soon to be our only local derby!!
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:49 pm

Derby - Just about (33 miles away compared to Cheaterfield 12 miles and Notts County 17 miles).

Rivalry - Never in my lifetime since 1970s , not the same intensity as Chesterfield and Notts County.
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Beyond The Pale » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Rivalry? Maybe... Derby, yes i'd say so. It's always an eagerly anticipated game when we play & there's been plenty of intensity (& the trouble that often comes with that) down the years...

In the 80' & 90's I always saw the Lincoln game as the fourth derby after Cheaterfield, Donkey Rovers & Rotherscum... Notts County didn't really come into it back then.

Also, I've been in enough pubs in Lincoln to hear what the locals think of us & we're not liked very much!
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkstag » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:04 pm

I’m surprised at some of the comments on here as Ive always seen this a a local derby. It’s certainly always felt like one.

I agree Chesterfield is THE derby more so than Notts in my view

What I do know it’s a big game for both clubs
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:50 pm

Derby, rivalry, nah your a pi55 stop on the way to Skeg Vegas.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:04 pm

It's a Derby, just more a competitive Derby. We are fairly close to each other. To put it into context if we play forest it will be a Derby but isn't a rivalry because we hardly ever play them. Stags and Lincoln have largely been in the same division and in the same half of the table. With our close proximity more fans travel to the away games which increases the atmosphere.

I see you as local-ish competitive rivals. Not fierce as such.

What you have to ask yourself is this: if you club a was to be 2 divisions apart for 10+ season and met again would that rivalry still stand up?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby FarnieStag » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:15 pm

From the Stags fans in Farnsfield (and yes, there are a few of us), yes it's a big derby, as it's only about 25 miles away... about the same distance as here to Chesterfield. Plus it has the added spice of Rhead and Greenie thrown in
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby 88BenM » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:32 pm

Lincoln for me has never been a hatred rivalry, if that makes sense. I've had many great nights and days out in Lincoln, one of my best mates went to the Uni. It's the perfect city for me, it's got a town feel about it similar to Mansfield, a great amount of history too. I've got friends that have followed Lincoln for many years and the amount of players our clubs have shared over the years has made it so that i look out for the Lincoln scores.

I just hate that you've gotten above your station in the last few years. I've been to Sincil Bank for one of our games when we only had 400 odd less fans in attendance than you. And now you talk as if you are a massive sleeping giant of a club that is just waking up. It wasn't very often that you'd fill our away end either. What your club has done in attracting the new fans is enviable, but at least be a little more modest about it.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby waddostag » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:39 pm

Now Chesterfield are a distant memory, this is the biggest game of the season for me, living and working in Lincoln. Three years ago we had what I would call one proper supporter at work, now we seem to have about 40 that have jumped on the bandwagon. Fortunately I have been able to go into work wearing my Stags shirt after beating them on a regular basis so far, but dreading it if we lose.
waddostag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:44 pm

Like waddostag I live in Lincoln now and work with loads of Imps fans at Cranwell. It's a derby for me, won't be going to work on Mon if we lose, I gave it large after the Checkatrade win!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby LincolnStag11 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:00 pm

I also live in Lincoln and have a dislike towards them, as the majority of their fans seem to like they have a divine right to be top of the league based on their attendances the last few seasons. Hopefully we turn them over and I can turn up to footy Sunday morning wearing my stags shirt with a beaming grin across my face to rub it in.
LincolnStag11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:08 pm

It’s a derby - like the ones against Chesterfield and Notts County - but without the detestation!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:21 pm

I've always thought of it as a local derby & rivalry , but not a fierce rivalry like Spireites
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:25 pm

i work there, soooo have to listen to the Gimps bang on and on and on how many plastics they now have blah blah blah
top of the league gonna wazzz it by Christmas, Crowley girls best thing since sliced bread blah blah

derby no not really, do i want to stick it up ya to shut you up? yea ofcourse

but a Clownty or what’s that non league scumbag lowlife club called again, you know the one that we used to beat in the league ? anyway them you are not

see you in Wetherspoons at 9 Gimps
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:25 pm

I go back to the 60s when the games seemed very feisty both on and off the pitch. And of course there is Martin's tag line. It might not be rivalry but we love beating them
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum