{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Mansfield v Lincoln - is it a derby? Is there rivalry?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Mansfield v Lincoln - is it a derby? Is there rivalry?

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:25 pm

Dean Walling clearly thinks it is a derby in the Lincolnshire Echo.

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/spor ... an-2238976
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:26 pm

bellwhiff wrote:I hate the Cowleys. Especially the lead one. Scruffy little weirdo.

For once I agree. Arrogant media darlings, held up as poster boys for the lower leagues by people who’ve never watched their teams play.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:47 pm

Danny and Nicky Cowley have done a brilliant job at Lincoln City. The Imps were dead and buried before they arrived. They had been in the Conference/National League for five seasons and never finished higher than 13th. I thought that we would not see them again in the Football League for another ten years. They have since won the National League, B Team Trophy, reached the FA Cup Quarter Finals and sit 2nd in League 2 playing in front of full houses at Sincil Bank. It's the kind of stuff that supporters of lower league teams dream about.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:34 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Danny and Nicky Cowley have done a brilliant job at Lincoln City. The Imps were dead and buried before they arrived. They had been in the Conference/National League for five seasons and never finished higher than 13th. I thought that we would not see them again in the Football League for another ten years. They have since won the National League, B Team Trophy, reached the FA Cup Quarter Finals and sit 2nd in League 2 playing in front of full houses at Sincil Bank. It's the kind of stuff that supporters of lower league teams dream about.

No on stags net its women in lime green jelly we dream about, stagsnet fetish :D :D :D :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:47 pm

The One wrote:No on stags net its women in lime dream jelly we dream about, stagsnet fetish :D :D :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:14 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:I hate the Cowleys. Especially the lead one. Scruffy little weirdo.

For once I agree. Arrogant media darlings, held up as poster boys for the lower leagues by people who’ve never watched their teams play.

What's up, don't they score from the tangerine trapezium?
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:37 am

Rob wrote:

He speaks very highly of you. Whether you dislike them or not (I can't quite think why you would hate them to be honest) what you must be able to do is respect the fantastic job they have done at Lincoln.

Don’t tell me who I should and shouldn’t respect. Cheers.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:16 am

Derby or not, personally I don't think it is, we have too many teams around before this can be classed as one.

For me, the phenomenon that is the surge in attendances, and I've not seen the like of it for a long time, surely deserves the chant.....

'Where were you when you were 5hit?' :lol:
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkstag » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:56 am

I would certainly expect that to come cascading out of the away end. I certainly hope it will

And where were they ?

What’s for certain when the good times end as they will they will return there
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:58 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:

He speaks very highly of you. Whether you dislike them or not (I can't quite think why you would hate them to be honest) what you must be able to do is respect the fantastic job they have done at Lincoln.

Rob, their on the pitch celebrations last season and their disdain and lack of respect when we beat them this season, coupled with the constant chirping in the officials ear reminds me of someone you despised. They are not too disimilar :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:53 am

Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

The only time they use it is for Rhead/Akinde flick-ons.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:33 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

And them being the league's top scorers, makes a nonsense of your navy nonagon theory.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:43 am

I always remember the late equaliser scored in stoppage time at Lincoln as Alan Russell came off the bench we celebrated like it was the winner 2006 ?
Also the late equaliser last season for Lincoln scored by Palmer the Lincoln fans went wild , you can't tell me it's not a derby & a rivalry !
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:18 pm

Amberheart wrote:I always remember the late equaliser scored in stoppage time at Lincoln as Alan Russell came off the bench we celebrated like it was the winner 2006 ?
Also the late equaliser last season for Lincoln scored by Palmer the Lincoln fans went wild , you can't tell me it's not a derby & a rivalry !

In 48 years of watching The Stags, I'm sure I've seen at least a hundred late equalisers/winners for and against us and I know every single one of them was celebrated wildly no matter who was playing.

Bristol City went mad twice in the same game once, hardly a Derby.

I remember going mental at an Alan Tankard late winner at Macclesfield, hardly a Derby.

Oh and the little matter of the non-derby in Hereford one fateful April evening.

Sorry, I don't think celebrating a late goal can be used to define a derby.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:21 pm

Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

And them being the league's top scorers, makes a nonsense of your navy nonagon theory.

It's not my theory. It also only relates to goals from open play obviously, and a lot of Lincoln's come from set pieces. As I say, they do get into the zone, so your post make no sense.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Imp81 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:22 pm

Thanks everyone - some really great comments (loved the Skegvegas pi55 stop one in particular!). A real mixture of opinions as to whether it's a derby. There were more of you than I thought there would be that think it is - which did surprise me, I must admit. I've been watching the Imps since '91 and I've never really considered you as rivals - although I think whoever said that the rivalry has grown in the last 2-3 years probably has it right.

The new breed of our supporters is a topic that has been running consistently since the Cowleys came in. I guess success will always attract new fans, but where it is a bit sore for me to take is some of these people that are now coming to games used to laugh and poke fun at the regulars over the last 20 years. These kind of people "support" a top team, and when we were relegated in 2011 they didn't give a monkeys. I've never had a problem with folk supporting a top team, but surely you should support your local team as well, especially when times are hard. Anyway, rant over.

All the best for the rest of the season - well, after this weekend at least! :)
Imp81
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:56 pm

Not sure if this has been posted, but it's an interesting read...

https://staceywest.net/2018/11/22/3-rea ... uld-not/7/

Note: Matt Green not mentioned.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:32 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:

I said respect the job they have done (ie taken them from the dregs of Conference to top of League 2), not the individuals themselves. Not sure how that was so hard to understand, but then again, you are ex-Army :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:23 pm

Imp81 wrote:Thanks everyone - some really great comments (loved the Skegvegas pi55 stop one in particular!). A real mixture of opinions as to whether it's a derby. There were more of you than I thought there would be that think it is - which did surprise me, I must admit. I've been watching the Imps since '91 and I've never really considered you as rivals - although I think whoever said that the rivalry has grown in the last 2-3 years probably has it right.

The new breed of our supporters is a topic that has been running consistently since the Cowleys came in. I guess success will always attract new fans, but where it is a bit sore for me to take is some of these people that are now coming to games used to laugh and poke fun at the regulars over the last 20 years. These kind of people "support" a top team, and when we were relegated in 2011 they didn't give a monkeys. I've never had a problem with folk supporting a top team, but surely you should support your local team as well, especially when times are hard. Anyway, rant over.

All the best for the rest of the season - well, after this weekend at least! :)

Fair comments mate, I like your frankness and honesty about the new masses who weren't there on filthy Tuesday nghts against the likes of Torquay in seasons past.
Our demise in attendances was caused by one man over a long period of time , resulting in virtually permanent losses to numbers attending. Only now have things started to show consistently higher gates, but not to the dramatic increases you have 'enjoyed' there. As you say good luck apart from Sat :lol:
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:26 pm

Rob wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:

I said respect the job they have done (ie taken them from the dregs of Conference to top of League 2), not the individuals themselves. Not sure how that was so hard to understand, but then again, you are ex-Army :lol:

Still don’t respect the weirdo chippy little Essex nerks
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby 88BenM » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:29 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Not sure if this has been posted, but it's an interesting read...

That is absolute drivel. Only Rheady on that list went directly from one club to the other as a player and David Holdsworth is a laughing stock of the game.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:40 pm

88BenM wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Not sure if this has been posted, but it's an interesting read...

That is absolute drivel. Only Rheady on that list went directly from one club to the other as a player and David Holdsworth is a laughing stock of the game.

Holdsworth...........yeah his little black book, the man who just chucked everything up in the air and prayed it would come down butter side up. He claimed to have saved us from going down . We wouldn't have despite his proclamations.
He nearly shut this club down for good and for that he must never be forgiven. An arrogant buffoon.
As someone once wrote....'While his brother Dean had Page 3 girls on his arm, in complete contrast charmless David always gave the air of a man with a dog eared copy of Razzle under his arm.'
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stoney » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:20 am

I've just read Lincoln's forum for five minutes and it's left me in stitches. Who do they think they are?

Also when was the last time we lost at Sincil Bank? I've been about 6/7 times and can't remember us losing.

One of my favourite memories was Green winning it for us in the 92nd minute and lifting the corner flag in front of the 1100 Stags fans. There was only about 1500 Lincoln fans there that night I think!
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:26 am

Big yella wrote:
Amberheart wrote:I always remember the late equaliser scored in stoppage time at Lincoln as Alan Russell came off the bench we celebrated like it was the winner 2006 ?

In 48 years of watching The Stags, I'm sure I've seen at least a hundred late equalisers/winners for and against us and I know every single one of them was celebrated wildly no matter who was playing.

Bristol City went mad twice in the same game once, hardly a Derby.

I remember going mental at an Alan Tankard late winner at Macclesfield, hardly a Derby.

Oh and the little matter of the non-derby in Hereford one fateful April evening.

Sorry, I don't think celebrating a late goal can be used to define a derby.

Don't be sorry duck we all have different feelings about it , maybe I should've used a different example . & I've been a Stags fan for 50 years :)
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:46 am

Danny Cowley is from the Shire scruffy Hobit
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum