{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Charlton FA Cup Scorefred sponsored by Second Time Around

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Charlton FA Cup Scorefred sponsored by Second Time Aroun

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:31 am

Looks like missed chances will haunt us for sometime yet and well played to the lads tonight but we need a striker who can score maybe just a few of the chances we are creating.
U always need to win your home tie we never deliver in replays of this sort.
We have made big improvements but seems we are a way off league one standard yet with present strike force.

Not sure why they are stopping over tonight, this money should go to a striker for January surely!!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:32 am

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:16 am

tillydog123 wrote:Looks like missed chances will haunt us for sometime yet and well played to the lads tonight but we need a striker who can score maybe just a few of the chances we are creating.
We have made big improvements but seems we are a way off league one standard yet with present strike force.

Not sure why they are stopping over tonight, this money should go to a striker for January surely!!

Blimey are they staying at The Savoy?
I really don't think a night in a 'Holiday Inn' makes any difference. The reality of staying over is that the sooner they get the game out of their legs the quicker they can focus on Saturday. A professional approach, hopefully it helps on Sat. I'm pretty sure a 3 hour coach journey home wouldn't .
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:25 am

the way some go on about overnight stays we could've bought Messi with the money used for hotels :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:28 am

tillydog123 wrote:

Flitcroft explained this on Saturday. The players got back home in the middle of the night after Morecambe game which didn't help prep for the game on Saturday.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:40 am

the proof of the pie will be the result come sat
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Binghamstag » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:50 am

Another poor ref but Saturday's game is more important. We move on and let's get behind the lads for Saturday
Binghamstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:50 am

Stags 2002 wrote:Dare I say it could be a blessing in disguise? Nobody likes the lose 5-0 but after the recent run we've had there is always a chance complacency might creep in at some stage, thats not saying we where tonight.

But it will have certainly have given the players a shake and it will be down to DF to get them refocused and down to the players to put it right on Saturday.

If I had to choose either the game tonight or Saturday to be a heavy defeat tonight hands down would have been it. Hopefully they can dust themselves down by responding against Lincoln and give out a heavy defeat of our own. Given the chances we create its going to happen to someone at some point.

Regarding the FA Cup maybe next year.....

When it happens (and it will) it needs to be on a more regular sighting than Halley's Comet. It's no good spankin someone and then for the next 10 games thinking, 'can we make the barn door another 10ft wider please'. You only normally get a few chances to score and as DF rightly says you have to be RUTHLESS when they arrive. We on the most part have a good few chances most games and waste them .
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby West Ham 1969 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:55 am

Mr Grimsdale wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:Looks like missed chances will haunt us for sometime yet and well played to the lads tonight but we need a striker who can score maybe just a few of the chances we are creating.

Blimey are they staying at The Savoy?
I really don't think a night in a 'Holiday Inn' makes any difference. The reality of staying over is that the sooner they get the game out of their legs the quicker they can focus on Saturday. A professional approach, hopefully it helps on Sat. I'm pretty sure a 3 hour coach journey home wouldn't .

This :good_post:
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:23 am

Bowyer wrote:“I’d like to think I’m fair. I said they were a good team. It wasn’t a 5-0 result for me. They could have scored three or four. They missed some chances.

“Yeah be happy, I’m happy – but don’t get too ahead of yourself because trust me, on the night it wasn’t that result.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/char ... e-showing/
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:33 am

White and Benning were fantastic going forward last night. We really need to sort out our corners though, looking forward to Lincoln!
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:42 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:White and Benning were fantastic going forward last night. We really need to sort out our corners though, looking forward to Lincoln!

I've a feeling Lincoln will show us how to make the most from corners on Sat.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:00 am

Well, where do I start on last night's game.

The performance from box to box was as good as any this season, the difference was the quality of the strikers.

We had at least seven chances which with a bit of luck and composure we could have scored. Also at 1-0 I thought we should have had a penalty when Hamilton was bundled over when going for a high ball.

Hamilton one on one with keeper and defender just gets back and forces corner
Rose with shot that keeper saves well
A White cross that Rose misses and Hamilton slides in and hits post.

In second half
Graham heads a near post cross just wide
Preston heads over when in a good position
Goalkeeper blocks a Pearce volley on the post
Keeper tips over a rasping shot for a corner

We also had the ball in the net twice but ruled out rightly for marginally offsides. Hamilton finished wonderful when flag went up, why couldn't he do it when it mattered.

Their first two goals were simple but clinical, ball down side with fast winger, cross and a good forward knowing where to be for an easy finish.

For the half an hour we had at 2-0 down, I thought if we can get a goal we could easily take this to extra time or even win it.

However with ten minutes left the third goal killed us and I will let Martin Shaw explain, but my daughter who was listening on iFollow said he was speechless.

So not a 5-0 game but exactly same type of game as all season but difference was Taylor and a bit of luck in front of goal and with refereeing decisions.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:53 am

[quote="part time pete"]Well, where do I start on last night's game.

The performance from box to box was as good as any this season, the difference was the quality of the strikers.

We had at least seven chances which with a bit of luck and composure we could have scored. Also at 1-0 I thought we should have had a penalty when Hamilton was bundled over when going for a high ball.

Hamilton one on one with keeper and defender just gets back and forces corner
Rose with shot that keeper saves well
A White cross that Rose misses and Hamilton slides in and hits post.

In second half
Graham heads a near post cross just wide
Preston heads over when in a good position
Goalkeeper blocks a Pearce volley on the post
Keeper tips over a rasping shot for a corner

We also had the ball in the net twice but ruled out rightly for marginally offsides. Hamilton finished wonderful when flag went up, why couldn't he do it when it mattered.

Their first two goals were simple but clinical, ball down side with fast winger, cross and a good forward knowing where to be for an easy finish.

For the half an hour we had at 2-0 down, I thought if we can get a goal we could easily take this to extra time or even win it.

However with ten minutes left the third goal killed us and I will let Martin Shaw explain, but my daughter who was listening on iFollow said he was speechless.

So not a 5-0 game but exactly same type of game as all season but difference was Taylor and a bit of luck in front of goal and with refereeing decisions.[/quote]

Well summed up Pete can't argue with none of the above....
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:01 am

Spiritater wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:White and Benning were fantastic going forward last night. We really need to sort out our corners though, looking forward to Lincoln!

I've a feeling Lincoln will show us how to make the most from corners on Sat.

I hope so.
We need teaching how to take corners and how to attack the ball in numbers with co-ordination.
Any free lessons will be very much appreciated.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:40 am

We have the 5th highest number of corners in League 2 games this season with 107, Lincoln are joint 3rd with 114 - so we have something to make the most of. Lincoln have the 5th highest number of home corners (we are 2nd).
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:43 am

Its painfully obvious that a decent striker would be slotting away some of these goal chances in which we are doing really well with so far and talk about corners and things like that is padding it out really.

I think ALL efforts need to be focused on this prolific clinical striker if anybody is available come Jan or it will be a nail biting end to the season getting into the top 3.
We really don't want play offs with the possible outcome of many missed chances but the reports being all glowing and saying we played the better football/had the most chances and being a good team and hard to beat.
As Bruce used to say 'points make prizes'.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:51 am

Marky Mark wrote:

We have the 5th highest number of corners in League 2 games this season with 107, Lincoln are joint 3rd with 114 - so we have something to make the most of. Lincoln have the 5th highest number of home corners (we are 2nd).

That does not surprise me. I imagine it is number 2 on DF's training list, right behind helping the strikers put away more chances!!

Pete summed up the game brilliantly, I took 2 people who have never watched stags before and they couldn't believe some of the football we were playing.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:21 am

We do have decent strikers in the team, so I'm not sure what adding more would do. Rose was scoring regularly under Evans, and he's still here. He just needs to get back to how he was. Walker's stats are good this season, we know that he's a quality player, but when we need a goal and he gets a good chance he's not exactly clinical. Davies knows where the goal is and has the experience and physique to get a few, but seems to be struggling with fitness. Graham is still a bit inexperienced to expect too much but looks to have the talent.

Something in Flitcroft's coaching has stopped strikers scoring. I'm sure that it's far from being in the plans, quite the opposite, but it's there. If we bought another striker I feel sure that we'd have the same problem with him.

I'm no expert, but I did play striker in my modest (Sunday League standard) football career so I tend to watch what they do more than players in other positions and it seems obvious what the problem is. As it's obvious to me no doubt it's obvious to the coaching staff, so we just have to trust them and hope that the players respond.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:20 pm

Bradders wrote:We do have decent strikers in the team, so I'm not sure what adding more would do. Rose was scoring regularly under Evans, and he's still here. He just needs to get back to how he was. Walker's stats are good this season, we know that he's a quality player, but when we need a goal and he gets a good chance he's not exactly clinical. Davies knows where the goal is and has the experience and physique to get a few, but seems to be struggling with fitness. Graham is still a bit inexperienced to expect too much but looks to have the talent.

Something in Flitcroft's coaching has stopped strikers scoring. I'm sure that it's far from being in the plans, quite the opposite, but it's there. If we bought another striker I feel sure that we'd have the same problem with him.

I'm no expert, but I did play striker in my modest (Sunday League standard) football career so I tend to watch what they do more than players in other positions and it seems obvious what the problem is. As it's obvious to me no doubt it's obvious to the coaching staff, so we just have to trust them and hope that the players respond.

Because I'm a pointless statistics nerd, and because I wondered whether it may just look like we're wasting chances because we just have more of them, I've spent 20 mins putting numbers against what everyone already knows.

Anyway, in the 18 league games so far this year we've had 189 shots v's 153 v's the first 18 games of last season - so we've had 23% more attempts so far this year. 74 of them were on target v's 67 last year (10% increase) and 115 were off target v's 86 last year (33% increase). We average 2 shots a game (10.5) more than last year (8.5). This is all positive.

The number of goals scored this year is 26 v's 24 last year, so it takes us 2.8 shots on target per goal, which is exactly the same as last year. So we have exactly the same prolificacy as we did last year based on shots on target, its just that we've had more shots on target and proportionally the same goals.

In terms of total shots we score a goal every 7.3 shots, v's 1 every 6.4 shots last year - so we were more prolific in terms of ratio last year, but we have scored more absolute goals this year. So it's swings and roundabouts. Because we score a goal every 7.3 shots per game, and have 10.5 shots per game, then our average is 1.5 goals per came.

So,in summary, we have a lot more shots than we did last year, so it looks like we miss more, but yeah we need to score more often.
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:45 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:Highlights (first half anyway)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46189628

Nice looking tight gaggle of Stags fans behind goal, well done to you all. :mtfc:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:56 pm

I'd be expecting one of Rose or Davies to go in January, which most certainly need someone more clinical.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:15 pm

We need a extra body up front that's clinical, Davies is going nowhere and nor is Rose unless somebody come in with a offer that we couldn't get in the summer so I dunno why you expect that.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:22 pm

The result last night will probably turn out to be a good thing. We were all getting a bit over-confident and it will provide us with a bit of grounding.

Also, we’ve enough fixtures ahead of us in what is going to be vital part of this season’s development.

We can have our Wembley fun in the Checkatrade Trophy!

Saturday’s match at Sincil Bank was before, and still is, more important than the FACup.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:29 pm

Really depends on what's happening with Rose imo. If he goes then there'll be ample money for a relatively big name signing, assuming that one is available and wants to come
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum