{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

MTFC AGM, Thursday 15 November 2018

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: MTFC AGM, Thursday 15 November 2018

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:23 pm

I vote hotel.

It’s the only one I’ve seen plans for for all we know the Radfords could just be planning some temp tin stand that holds 500 fans (probably not like).

For me to vote the BS I’d need to see the plans first.

On further note it’s also my opinion that if we do the bishop street first the hotel will never happen as by then there may be two already in the town centre. Better to get in there first and put the risk on the town centre hotels than our own.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:50 pm

." God it’s great being a Stag at this moment in time....oh the optimism and ambition, pinch yourself....it’s really happening."

Totally agree.
Great to see John and Carolyn sharing their vision. This is the way it should be done, we are so fortunate.

I think get the hotel going as everything is in place to start,. However whatever they decide will be the right decision to take us further forward.
Great to be a Stags fan, thanks for that
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:21 pm

iFollow subscribers can watch the AGM.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bradders » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:48 pm

I'm not quite sure how the hotel option works. Does the club build it and then sell to Hilton? Or rent it to them (with the worry that they might move out at any time)? Or does Hilton buy the right to build and run the hotel? Does the club get a percentage of any profits (and have to stump up for any losses)?

Building a row of raised executive boxes with an adjacent Safe Standing area down the Bishop Street side sounds like a less risky enterprise on the face of it, but it's all in the detail. As I haven't seen the details I'd have no idea which way to vote if I was asked.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:05 pm

Bradders wrote:I'm not quite sure how the hotel option works. Does the club build it and then sell to Hilton? Or rent it to them (with the worry that they might move out at any time)? Or does Hilton buy the right to build and run the hotel? Does the club get a percentage of any profits (and have to stump up for any losses)?

Building a row of raised executive boxes with an adjacent Safe Standing area down the Bishop Street side sounds like a less risky enterprise on the face of it, but it's all in the detail. As I haven't seen the details I'd have no idea which way to vote if I was asked.

I expect it will be a franchise agreement.

Get to use the name and assoicated benefits through an annual license fee or percentage of profits, however will have to abide by group preferred suppliers to ensure the level of quality is maintained etc. As its the Hilton name on display.

Providing licence fee paid and contract rules adhered to bulk of the profits will go to the franchisee (MTFC / Radfords).

Plenty of businesses operate this business model an example being subway or Dominoes.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:11 am

Whilst I get why people want to see the Bish improved it just doesn't seem necessary to me. It's totally a vanity project. The hotel would potentially generate income. It's a no brainer really.

Even if promoted I can't see how we'd fill an extra 1000/2000 seats more than couple of times a season. If we don't get promoted (or stay in L1 for a good few years) the project will never get close to paying for itself.

My worry would also be that ticket prices would have to increase again to help pay for it. So a double whammy of negatives. An empty stand and fans paying more to look at it.

I've said before I don't think the need for a hotel is as strong as some think but I hope I'm wrong with that. If the need is there and we can partner with a respected brand then it enhances the club and town and becomes an income generator. A new stand, sat mostly empty most of the time is just a drain on cash. In my opinion.

I echo what some others have said. We're lucky to have John and whether you agree with everything he's done or not or have questioned finances before like myself and other have - he's delivered on his ambition to become self sustaining and is clearly here for the long term. Thank you John keep up the good work.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:17 am

ST4GS wrote:
Spiritater wrote:If we're gonna build something on the Bish eventually then please let us build something to be proud of and not just stick some upgraded bus shelter on it. The last thing we want there is some weedy tin 10ft high shiver hole. It needs to be on the scale of the NS or QLE and in keeping with the rest of the ground. If you're gonna do it then do it right.

Echo this statement and love our ambition.
The fact that our owners have instigated this discussion to the fans is the most pleasing aspect.
I trust them to make the correct decision. It is a pity they were not involved back in the late nineties when the ground was being redeveloped. I am sure they would have taken better decisions regarding the design and not cut costs like he who should not be mentioned did.

In my head I have the idea of stand similar to one at Kidderminster, either standing or seated - it's going to be very different I imagine to the NS OR QLE due to the space we have and it being on the side of the pitch.

It would be a lot lower than every other ground but it will still fit in if done correctly.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:39 am

Jamie wrote:Whilst I get why people want to see the Bish improved it just doesn't seem necessary to me. It's totally a vanity project. The hotel would potentially generate income. It's a no brainer really.

Even if promoted I can't see how we'd fill an extra 1000/2000 seats more than couple of times a season. If we don't get promoted (or stay in L1 for a good few years) the project will never get close to paying for itself.

My worry would also be that ticket prices would have to increase again to help pay for it. So a double whammy of negatives. An empty stand and fans paying more to look at it.

I've said before I don't think the need for a hotel is as strong as some think but I hope I'm wrong with that. If the need is there and we can partner with a respected brand then it enhances the club and town and becomes an income generator. A new stand, sat mostly empty most of the time is just a drain on cash. In my opinion.

I echo what some others have said. We're lucky to have John and whether you agree with everything he's done or not or have questioned finances before like myself and other have - he's delivered on his ambition to become self sustaining and is clearly here for the long term. Thank you John keep up the good work.

I think there is a need for a hotel, when we lived in London and came up to Mansfield we had to stay in the Travelodge in Sutton, we would have definitely used a similar type hotel in the town - I think this is common and it is unusual for a town the size of Mansfield not to have a Premier Inn/Travelodge etc. I do agree about the Bish, but what I would like to see is it demolished in preparation, if it were then fenced off at the back that could be used for advertising but would look nowhere near as bad as it does now. A camera scaffold similar to the one now could be put there and then when the hotel project is complete, much of the prep is already done. I'd love it if the club offered fans chance to part own the stand as well.

We are very lucky to have John at the helm, for so many reasons.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby milne6 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:54 am

Think alot of people are forgetting that travelodge is getting built on the old Gala site..

https://www.chad.co.uk/news/mansfield-s ... -1-9281187

Think building work as already begun so does mansfield need two large hotels?
This is a Signature
milne6
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Conker » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Hotel first, but at least knock the bish down?

Is there a big enough demand other than the Travelodge which I imagine is going to beat it and be built first? If the Hampton ends up with a better reptutation and competitive prices I doubt it will matter.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:42 pm

Did I hear something along the lines of a certain player/s not coming here due to the Bish Stand!!! Pity we can’t do both together and get the building works done in one go. Can we not have a small stand for standing only?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:45 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Did I hear something along the lines of a certain player/s not coming here due to the Bish Stand!!! Pity we can’t do both together and get the building works done in one go. Can we not have a small stand for standing only?

Marc McNulty.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:49 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Did I hear something along the lines of a certain player/s not coming here due to the Bish Stand!!! Pity we can’t do both together and get the building works done in one go. Can we not have a small stand for standing only?

that was mentioned in an interview about McNulty and another of their players. I don't think a player would pick between two teams because of the bish, Coventry are a bigger team than us and probably offered more money anyway.

To build a stand to potentially attract players is a bit daft imo, we have some good players on our books now and I'm sure they couldn't give a toss about what the bish looks like ;)

the future is bright anyhow with JR and CR at the helm , we are very very lucky to have them running our club when you take a look how some other teams are run in the leagues
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:54 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
The One wrote:Lutons look like seaside beach huts awful

Whereas the Bishop Street Stand ....

Luton’s stand is the finished article and looks awful.

The Bishop Street Stand is derelict and isn’t the finished article.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:16 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:
Bradders wrote:I'm not quite sure how the hotel option works. Does the club build it and then sell to Hilton? Or rent it to them (with the worry that they might move out at any time)? Or does Hilton buy the right to build and run the hotel? Does the club get a percentage of any profits (and have to stump up for any losses)?

I expect it will be a franchise agreement.

Get to use the name and assoicated benefits through an annual license fee or percentage of profits, however will have to abide by group preferred suppliers to ensure the level of quality is maintained etc. As its the Hilton name on display.

Providing licence fee paid and contract rules adhered to bulk of the profits will go to the franchisee (MTFC / Radfords).

Plenty of businesses operate this business model an example being subway or Dominoes.

I don't think that a franchise arrangement is very likely. That may work for some types of business, as you say, but not here. I suspect it will just be a lease. Depending on the details, I'd guess that the Bishop Street stand will bring in more revenue.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:39 pm

Definitely the hotel should be built first.We are not promoted yet.When we do then the stand can be built.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:39 am

Build the Bish, turn the pitch 90 degrees and we've got the North Stand back.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:58 am

Didn’t radford confirm a few months ago that we would own the building and Hilton’s would rent it from us. Normally from what I’ve seen in the past on such deals is that the hotel chains pay x amount a year per room. Normal fee is around £3-£5k per room for brands such as Ibis.

The deal would also be a fixed rent normally for about five years.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:21 am

stag861 wrote:Build the Bish, turn the pitch 90 degrees and we've got the North Stand back.

Hmmmm. That’d please the IG ST holders!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Fitzy499 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:23 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
stag861 wrote:Build the Bish, turn the pitch 90 degrees and we've got the North Stand back.

Hmmmm. That’d please the IG ST holders!

If we did that we would have 2 big stands at each end (IG and bish) and 2 small stands down the side. Would look a little odd
Fitzy499
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Conker » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:47 pm

At least this thread says what Radford expects - top three, not play-offs like a few have suggested.

A striker in January and we are more than capable.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:42 pm

Sounds like many fans would like the Bishop street done, but financially the hotel makes more sense.

If the Radfords are going to develop the Bishop St eventually, would it make sense to try to secure the 5 or 6 houses they would need off Bishop and Lord street in the interim, so we are in a position to build something if and when we are promoted. We could even rent em out to Notts County's bulging squad.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:04 pm

They'd want to do the Bish first. The hotel was always the priority before and the stand was on the back burner because of the houses, but they can make it modifiable so that it can be expanded when the houses become available. Putting the hotel in that corner also doesn't make sense because that will be a natural place to fill in between Quarry Lane and the IGS when we get to The Championship. Ideally, they'd want to put the hotel IN the stand, but size and timing don't work right now.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:57 pm

victor A block wrote:Sounds like many fans would like the Bishop street done, but financially the hotel makes more sense.

If the Radfords are going to develop the Bishop St eventually, would it make sense to try to secure the 5 or 6 houses they would need off Bishop and Lord street in the interim, so we are in a position to build something if and when we are promoted. We could even rent em out to Notts County's bulging squad.

I know people live there but knocking down the lot would be a lot more attractive something the council should really assist with (as i imagine on the whole it would boost the economy of the town).

The houses are a bit of an eyesore now and look really out of place now. Imagine how it can look having a brand new stand, potential club shop a nice ringed car park all the way around the ground all open to view on the ring road.

For this reason i think the hotel should come first, Stand 2nd when we have the ability to do massive overhaul.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:15 pm

Chander Lear wrote:
victor A block wrote:Sounds like many fans would like the Bishop street done, but financially the hotel makes more sense.

I know people live there but knocking down the lot would be a lot more attractive something the council should really assist with (as i imagine on the whole it would boost the economy of the town).

The houses are a bit of an eyesore now and look really out of place now. Imagine how it can look having a brand new stand, potential club shop a nice ringed car park all the way around the ground all open to view on the ring road.

For this reason i think the hotel should come first, Stand 2nd when we have the ability to do massive overhaul.

from the video on iFollow of the AGM, Carolyn said: “We’ve asked the council about the housing behind it (Bishop St Stand) but that’s all occupied at the moment so it’s just not practical to do anything there."
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum