{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

MTFC AGM, Thursday 15 November 2018

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: MTFC AGM, Thursday 15 November 2018

Postby Bradders » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:22 pm

DE STAG wrote:Perhaps John and Carolyn aren't looking at this purely from the cost v revenue angle, but rather canvassing opinion on what the fans see as most beneficial to the fans.

That's my point. Putting aside any financial cost or benefit (which is just guesswork anyway); apart from a few who might find it amusing to stay in a hotel actually at the ground, I don't see what benefit the hotel gives to the fans. Clearly the 3-sided ground has been an annoyance for years so adding the 4th side is obviously beneficial. It's a no-brainer; therefore there's no point in asking. I suppose it's just a PR exercise.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:57 pm

I assume the club would get a decent grant towards the building of the new stand but wouldn't for the hotel. As a fan I want the Bishop St done, but looking at it as a business, I suspect the hotel is more lucrative.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:06 pm

Stop dribbling, people. The hotel will make money. I’m currently in a Ramada in Oldbury, near West Brom. It makes Mansfield look like Barbados. It’s got a full car park.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:30 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Stop dribbling, people. The hotel will make money. I’m currently in a Ramada in Oldbury, near West Brom. It makes Mansfield look like Barbados. It’s got a full car park.

Are you saying that the profits go to the Baggies? Don't believe you.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:34 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Stop dribbling, people. The hotel will make money. I’m currently in a Ramada in Oldbury, near West Brom. It makes Mansfield look like Barbados. It’s got a full car park.

Of course it will make money, and there will be spin offs directly for the club. How many will try Sandy's for a change/cheaper meal option. How many will see the adverts for the entertainment in the 1861 Suite and decide to attend. Plus the odd one or two who will attend a game.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:01 pm

The fact is that both a new stand and a hotel could make money (and they could also incur loses - it is all based on an 'economy of scale').

The plan is to do both over the next 4 years. I still think that doing Bishop St. first (as a quick win) is the way to go. However, another option is to build both at the same time ............ Maybe that's the answer?
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:21 pm

Big yella wrote:

Of course it will make money, and there will be spin offs directly for the club. How many will try Sandy's for a change/cheaper meal option. How many will see the adverts for the entertainment in the 1861 Suite and decide to attend. Plus the odd one or two who will attend a game.

Well said Big yella. Also during the season it may encourage more away fans to travel stopping at the hotel either before or after the game potentially increasing game revenues too.

If plans include a conference room it could easily be used by local businesses for offsite work, it could be plugged as a local entertainment venue, i'm sure plans include space for a couple of retail units (think greggs at pride park) the rent will be a further income generator, bigger club shop will allow more fans in on game days rather than taking one look at the queue and saying no thanks etc.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:02 pm

My calcs We're totally flawed. Northamptons latest new stand was £6m. Exeter's new stand was £3.5m.

My initial guess of £12m for a new Bishop Street is WAY off. Assume a new Bishop Street to cost £4m for arguments sake, plus demolition and site clearance cost. Say £6m overall. In addition, the £/sq ft build out cost of a hotel this big (guess it'll be circa 30,000 sq ft) will be no more than £250-300/ sq ft, so approximately £8m. This adds a lot of weight to the Bishop Street argument.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:07 pm

Bradders wrote:

I don't think he was saying that at all. He was just saying that a hotel in West Bromwich is full, and West Bromwich is a ****hole. I can confirm both from two recent visits.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:36 pm

I'd meant to grab this interview earlier from the BBC iPlayer, but here it is now anyway:

Carolyn on Radio Nottm before the game against Port Vale

https://stagsnet.net/interviews/Carolyn ... ov2018.mp3
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bradders » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:46 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Bradders wrote:

I don't think he was saying that at all. He was just saying that a hotel in West Bromwich is full, and West Bromwich is a ****hole. I can confirm both from two recent visits.

OK, just a random comment then. The hotel I stayed at for the West Brom match also had a full car park, if that's relevant.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum