{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Grimsby Scorefred sponsored by A Win and into top 7

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Grimsby Scorefred sponsored by A Win and into top 7

Postby Random Hero » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:53 am

Definitely on his sen on this.

Grimsby have scored 11 goals this season. Tyler Walker has scored 12 :lol:

They're relegation fodder.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:04 am

Thank god, I thought I was going insane for a minute :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:05 am

I agree with Sandy. I thought Grimsby played some good football at times, but this was mainly down to us dropping to 2 in midfield and allowing them more space. Mitch Rose looked decent. Where they lacked class was in the final third and in defending crosses. Based on that I think they'll finish bottom half, but safe.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:20 am

Accrington Stanley put in a similar performance in the caryacow cup and we thrashed them.

Where are they now?

I didn't see that kind of domination last night and we never looked like scoring 6.

As for Grimsby only creating one chance, we obviously have different opinions as to what a chance is. In the first half they put at least three passes through our box all of which their attackers failed to make contact with. Our defenders were nowhere near to making interceptions and a better team would have punished us.

Whilst accepting they will not trouble the playoffs, they will not be near to relegation either. And yes a month ago, I doubted Walker but please don't tell me he hasn't got his finger out in the last couple of games. He is much improved and well done to him but we need to see that consistently for the remainder of the season. I think he needs a better partner to ensure that happens.

Everyone has their own view on how things went and I am sticking to mine that Grimsby were not crap. Add another mid fielder to Pringle and a decent forward and they will be fine.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:23 am

A better partner than Rose? We all know te player Danny is, but he's clearly been affected by what's gone on. Flitcroft is sticking by him just like he did with Walker. He'll come good.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:35 am

ParisStag wrote:A better partner than Rose? We all know te player Danny is, but he's clearly been affected by what's gone on. Flitcroft is sticking by him just like he did with Walker. He'll come good.

Sorry Paris, I've never been a huge fan of Rose and think he flatters to deceive. He scores some spectacular goals which disguise some really bad misses and poor play. I understand why fans love him and can see some quality but feel that he wastes his talent by always trying to be flash instead of doing simple things. If he forgot about his image and just got on with it he would be a good player and score more goals.

He's the second best at the club as it stands but we all know we need better strikers. I do think Jordan Graham will play at a higher level than Rose eventually but he is in the very infancy of he career at the moment. I can't see Rose being the main man in a team that gains automatic promotion unless the midfield also score a shed load.

Sorry for being negative about him but I think it is a realistic view.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:37 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Accrington Stanley put in a similar performance in the caryacow cup and we thrashed them.

Where are they now?

I didn't see that kind of domination last night and we never looked like scoring 6.

As for Grimsby only creating one chance, we obviously have different opinions as to what a chance is. In the first half they put at least three passes through our box all of which their attackers failed to make contact with. Our defenders were nowhere near to making interceptions and a better team would have punished us.

Whilst accepting they will not trouble the playoffs, they will not be near to relegation either. And yes a month ago, I doubted Walker but please don't tell me he hasn't got his finger out in the last couple of games. He is much improved and well done to him but we need to see that consistently for the remainder of the season. I think he needs a better partner to ensure that happens.

Everyone has their own view on how things went and I am sticking to mine that Grimsby were not crap. Add another mid fielder to Pringle and a decent forward and they will be fine.

They also played their reserves.

Disagree we didn't look like scoring 6 either. We scored two. Rose and Walker both missed big chances. Elsnik almost scored from the edge of the box. Sweeney had an open net and miscued his shot. Davies had two big chances.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:49 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

Didn't look like scoring 6? We could have and should have had two in the opening 8 minutes! :lol:

Add Tylers two goals into that.

Then two superb saves by McKeown (especially the one from Jordan Graham). Plus a bad miss from Davies...

It could have easily been 6.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:59 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Accrington Stanley put in a similar performance in the caryacow cup and we thrashed them.

Where are they now?

bar 3 in the first 10 mins and actually scoring a further 2 and hitting the bar. thats 6 there lol
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:00 am

Jamie wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:I am pleased with the result, just expected it to be more comfortable and comprehensive.

This early season dropped points now looking to be quite significant. If just one of those draws was a win. Oh well can't change that.

Now for the FA cup.

Are you on a wind up? We bossed most of the game. Made countless chances (some of them excellent ones). We restricted them to a few wild efforts and a lucky og.

The early season dropped points could also now be looked at as good points gained.

We're in an excellent position now and if we can kick on anything can happen. The last few weeks have seen us turn a corner and our form has improved yet still you're not happy because it wasn't a thrashing. Unbelievable.

A fantastic 3 points in a game we could / should have put to bed after 5 minutes, but credit to the gaffer and players. The formation change with CJ on the left worked very well and we never gave up.

Well done flip flop.

You can't have a pop at me for saying it should have been more comfortable and comprehensive and then in your next paragraph say we 'bossed most of the game's and then go on to say 'we should have put it to bed after 5 mins'.

If putting a game to bed after 5 mins isn't comfortable and comprehensive I don't know what is.

You think I'm negative, I think you just look for arguments and contradict yourself. C'est la vie.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:07 am

The thing that’s pleasing me at the minute is we are now getting results which is most important but I still feel there is more to come from us. Once Khan and Macdonald are fit we’ll have even more options to effect the game which can only bode well.

Personally think when they are back they should both be utilised out wide mainly to give us more options on the right, and giving Hamilton free reign down the left when we have 4 at the back. Feel we’re at our most effective when CJ is in full flow. Great to see us comfortable playing 2/3 formations too.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:08 am

Random Hero wrote:I can't believe some people are saying Grimsby weren't a bad side.

They were absolute rammel. I've not seen many sides that bad at Field Mill for a long time. They had one shot on target all game, had no threat going forward at all and were dire in defence. Seen better on Blackpool beach. The only decent bloke they had was between the sticks and kept them in the match.

They deserved nothing from the game. If they'd have somehow come away even with just a point it would have been absolute robbery. Gabbitas would have had to leave his gate duties to round them up if they'd held on for the win.

That said, you can only beat what is put in front of you, and after the equaliser it never looked in doubt. Their keeper was MOTM by far! It feels so good to come from goals down twice in four days. Last season we'd have probably crumbled in both games. It shows how far we have come under DF.

Tyler Walker - wow. Talk about a man reborn. He looks the complete package - holds it up well, makes intelligent runs, can pass, can head, can shoot. On for 25 goals if he continues at this rate.

Jacob Mellis - what a player. You can see why he was so highly thought of and almost made it at Chelsea when he plays like that.

Hamilton - so frustrating at times but always a constant threat going forward. One of those crosses was always going to find someone's head. Worth persevering with and coaching.

Bishop - 38 years old playing like he's 28. Outstanding, intelligent player.

Well done tonight Stags, into the playoffs and unbeaten in 11! The future is bright.

Yet when I say we should be beat them I'm on a wind up according to Jamie and know nothing about L2 football according to CassellsWasMagic...

I agree with your post RH
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:15 am

Grimsby did miss some opportunities. Sat right behind the goal in the QLE and a one cross in was a little worrying, one of which the Grimsby player slid in on the ball and just missed it. ANY touch and it was in.

Other than that, they played it around the midfield on a few occasions but never threatened us.

We looked a little off pace in the first 20-30 minutes but considering our fixture list over the last two weeks I think we did exactly what we need; dominate the second half, won the game and extend our unbeaten run. Bu
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby tibby » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:21 am

Random Hero wrote:
tibby wrote:Displays like last night show why Mellis nearly made it at Chelsea :lol:

This place is comedy gold, we should have to pay to view the contents :lol:

I'm assuming you're referring to my post.

Chelsea paid Sheffield United £1 million for Mellis.

He was named in the top 20 'future England stars' by the Guardian in 2010 (https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-re ... dian-2008/)

He was only sacked after a training ground incident. He was obviously highly thought of by their staff and was also highly thought of by their fans. I'd call that nearly making it.

He's been (arguably) MOTM in our last three games. He looks Championship class right now. I'd argue, given the right development and without the off field incidents as a youngster, that he could have made it there too (or higher).

Comedy gold? I just spent a minute looking at your post history. People in glass houses... :lol:

Championship class? What are you on! How lich space did he and Bishop have last night? They wont get the time or space against decent teams. He hardly bosses the midfield does he. See the difference on sunday against a decent team. Decent league 2 midfielder? Yes. Championship standard? No.
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:31 am

tibby wrote:
Random Hero wrote:
tibby wrote:Displays like last night show why Mellis nearly made it at Chelsea :lol:

This place is comedy gold, we should have to pay to view the contents :lol:

I'm assuming you're referring to my post.

Chelsea paid Sheffield United £1 million for Mellis.

He was named in the top 20 'future England stars' by the Guardian in 2010 (https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-re ... dian-2008/)

He was only sacked after a training ground incident. He was obviously highly thought of by their staff and was also highly thought of by their fans. I'd call that nearly making it.

He's been (arguably) MOTM in our last three games. He looks Championship class right now. I'd argue, given the right development and without the off field incidents as a youngster, that he could have made it there too (or higher).

Comedy gold? I just spent a minute looking at your post history. People in glass houses... :lol:

Championship class? What are you on! How lich space did he and Bishop have last night? They wont get the time or space against decent teams. He hardly bosses the midfield does he. See the difference on sunday against a decent team. Decent league 2 midfielder? Yes. Championship standard? No.

Last night he bossed the midfield and created everything for us. His work rate has upped massively since he came back in to the team.
He was our best player second half against Cheltenham and dragged us back in to the game by getting us going a bit. He was arguably man of the match against Crewe as well. The last few games he has looked a class above, but the key is doing it consistently now. Hopefully we get to see that now he is getting a sustained run in the side which he’s never really had since he joined for one reason or another.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:32 am

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:48 pm

tibby wrote:Championship class? What are you on! How lich space did he and Bishop have last night? They wont get the time or space against decent teams. He hardly bosses the midfield does he. See the difference on sunday against a decent team. Decent league 2 midfielder? Yes. Championship standard? No.

Yes, last night he absolutely did boss the midfield. He did at Crewe, too.

I never said he WAS Championship class. I said right now he LOOKS it. Given his current form and where he's been in the past it's quite obvious that he very much had the potential to make a career in the higher echelons of English football - hence 'nearly made it' at Chelsea, as I stated.

Don't let what I actually said get in the way of your argument though :lol:
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:15 pm

The fact that fans feel we could and should have scored a handful of goals shows how good things are going right now.
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:51 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Thought Grimsby deserve more credit than some on here are giving them. I expected a big physical side but saw a small nippy outfit who had come to win and not just sit back.

Pringles was outstanding and I couldn't believe it when he was subbed before the winner. Their keeper also pulled off some excellent saves including getting down quickly to stop a Mellis shot first half and then a wonder save from the exceptional effort by Graham near the end.

We deserved the win in the end but made things hard for ourselves with some very wasteful misses early on. I think Rose needs to go back to the bench to get his head together as he's doing nothing at the moment. Graham showed more in his 10 - 15 minutes than Danny did all game. Surely he deserves a start to show what he can do.

Very pleased with the current state of play and expect us to keep climbing if we can just cement the consistency which is starting to emerge. I do think we need another defender and alternative striker came January as Davies clearly isn't fit and appears to be carrying an injury.

Grimsby were utter crap. They had one shot that luckily went in.

Rose missed a sitter but also set up a chance for Walker which he should have scored. He wasn't great but wasn't terrible either.

This, read the Grimsby fans forum the majority on there agree.

I see that utterly crap Grimsby side are stuffing MK Dons 3-1. And no MK haven't stuck the reserves in, they have the exact same side as last week's 4-0 win at Crawley and one change from the side that came here.

Maybe they've found the pink parallelogram.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:04 pm

Maybe the MK Dons fans think their team should have strolled past Grimsby too!!! It’s never that easy.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:55 pm

Look where Grimsby are in the league table, it’s not difficult is it? They are raspberry.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:39 am

Grimsby were not crap last Tuesday. They worked hard, were physical and Stags were made to play. In the end, class prevailed and we deservedly won.

To describe them as crap is disrespectful to both teams.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:25 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Jamie wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:I am pleased with the result, just expected it to be more comfortable and comprehensive.

This early season dropped points now looking to be quite significant. If just one of those draws was a win. Oh well can't change that.

Now for the FA cup.

Are you on a wind up? We bossed most of the game. Made countless chances (some of them excellent ones). We restricted them to a few wild efforts and a lucky og.

The early season dropped points could also now be looked at as good points gained.

We're in an excellent position now and if we can kick on anything can happen. The last few weeks have seen us turn a corner and our form has improved yet still you're not happy because it wasn't a thrashing. Unbelievable.

A fantastic 3 points in a game we could / should have put to bed after 5 minutes, but credit to the gaffer and players. The formation change with CJ on the left worked very well and we never gave up.

Well done flip flop.

You can't have a pop at me for saying it should have been more comfortable and comprehensive and then in your next paragraph say we 'bossed most of the game's and then go on to say 'we should have put it to bed after 5 mins'.

If putting a game to bed after 5 mins isn't comfortable and comprehensive I don't know what is.

You think I'm negative, I think you just look for arguments and contradict yourself. C'est la vie.

You are negative. You also didn't say it 'Should have been', you said you 'expected it to be', big difference in pre and past tense there... The very fact you expected it to be comfortable and comprehensive just shows that your unrealistic, which is probably why your then so negative. We have no right to ever expect comfortable and comprehensive results in this league. Perhaps if you started out with a more realistic expectation perhaps you wouldn't be so negative/disappointed with what was a good win and a good continuation of our recent form. Your post stunk.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum