{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Grimsby Scorefred sponsored by A Win and into top 7

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Grimsby Scorefred sponsored by A Win and into top 7

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:23 pm

Looking at the league table, the top 10 are starting to breakaway from the rest of the league.

We have a chance of going 4th depending on results. Before anyone says "we are 3 points off 3rd so have a chance" Newport play Colchester no matter what that result either Colchester keep 3rd or Newport take it (assuming the rest of the play off pack lose)

Stevenage and Bury are also playing so we will drop out the play offs with a loss and could keep it with a draw. A win would be better though.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:25 pm

Great win in what I thought we dominated! They had a couple of good chances first half but so did we, we could've been 3-0 up before they had a decent effort. 25 shots on goal shows how much we are dominating and I love the way DF has got us playing, slow patient build up of nice flowing football we just need strikers and midfielders to finish the chances we're creating and luckily Walker is doing so at the minute.

Jacob Mellis was another level tonight, my man of the match.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:33 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Thought Grimsby deserve more credit than some on here are giving them. I expected a big physical side but saw a small nippy outfit who had come to win and not just sit back.

Pringles was outstanding and I couldn't believe it when he was subbed before the winner. Their keeper also pulled off some excellent saves including getting down quickly to stop a Mellis shot first half and then a wonder save from the exceptional effort by Graham near the end.

We deserved the win in the end but made things hard for ourselves with some very wasteful misses early on. I think Rose needs to go back to the bench to get his head together as he's doing nothing at the moment. Graham showed more in his 10 - 15 minutes than Danny did all game. Surely he deserves a start to show what he can do.

Very pleased with the current state of play and expect us to keep climbing if we can just cement the consistency which is starting to emerge. I do think we need another defender and alternative striker came January as Davies clearly isn't fit and appears to be carrying an injury.

Grimsby were utter crap. They had one shot that luckily went in.

Rose missed a sitter but also set up a chance for Walker which he should have scored. He wasn't great but wasn't terrible either.

This, read the Grimsby fans forum the majority on there agree.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:35 pm

one f in mansfield wrote:Picking up points and climbing the league without Macca or Khan . Don’t change a winning side and we have what a lot of supporters would assume were nailed on first team starters waiting for an opportunity.starting to look promising.

Barring for the opening day Khan has been very disappointing Dave.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Random Hero » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:37 pm

I can't believe some people are saying Grimsby weren't a bad side.

They were absolute rammel. I've not seen many sides that bad at Field Mill for a long time. They had one shot on target all game, had no threat going forward at all and were dire in defence. Seen better on Blackpool beach. The only decent bloke they had was between the sticks and kept them in the match.

They deserved nothing from the game. If they'd have somehow come away even with just a point it would have been absolute robbery. Gabbitas would have had to leave his gate duties to round them up if they'd held on for the win.

That said, you can only beat what is put in front of you, and after the equaliser it never looked in doubt. Their keeper was MOTM by far! It feels so good to come from goals down twice in four days. Last season we'd have probably crumbled in both games. It shows how far we have come under DF.

Tyler Walker - wow. Talk about a man reborn. He looks the complete package - holds it up well, makes intelligent runs, can pass, can head, can shoot. On for 25 goals if he continues at this rate.

Jacob Mellis - what a player. You can see why he was so highly thought of and almost made it at Chelsea when he plays like that.

Hamilton - so frustrating at times but always a constant threat going forward. One of those crosses was always going to find someone's head. Worth persevering with and coaching.

Bishop - 38 years old playing like he's 28. Outstanding, intelligent player.

Well done tonight Stags, into the playoffs and unbeaten in 11! The future is bright.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:38 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Stag95 wrote:Mitch Rose brace incoming

He was good for us, and he's now there best player.

Wonder if Liam Hearn is in attendance tonight?

yes he was.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:41 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Thought Grimsby deserve more credit than some on here are giving them. I expected a big physical side but saw a small nippy outfit who had come to win and not just sit back.

Pringles was outstanding and I couldn't believe it when he was subbed before the winner. Their keeper also pulled off some excellent saves including getting down quickly to stop a Mellis shot first half and then a wonder save from the exceptional effort by Graham near the end.

We deserved the win in the end but made things hard for ourselves with some very wasteful misses early on. I think Rose needs to go back to the bench to get his head together as he's doing nothing at the moment. Graham showed more in his 10 - 15 minutes than Danny did all game. Surely he deserves a start to show what he can do.

Very pleased with the current state of play and expect us to keep climbing if we can just cement the consistency which is starting to emerge. I do think we need another defender and alternative striker came January as Davies clearly isn't fit and appears to be carrying an injury.

Rose missed a sitter but also set up a chance for Walker which he should have scored. He wasn't great but wasn't terrible either.

We obviously watched different games.

Grimsby put several balls into our box which our defenders completely missed. Fortunately so did their forwards but that doesn't make them a crap team.

I've not seen the stats but they had plenty of corners one of which they should have scored from with all our defenders caught napping. They also had a couple of free headers which went high and wide and I don't think this was a one sided contest at all.

As for Danny Rose, on recent showings I don't think he would be first choice on May team sheets even in this division. I think he should get back to trying simple things correctly rather than look for spectacular goals with every touch. Maybe he will improve with a goal but in football you can't live on past achievements.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:48 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Grimsby put several balls into our box which our defenders completely missed. Fortunately so did their forwards but that doesn't make them a crap team.

I've not seen the stats but they had plenty of corners one of which they should have scored from with all our defenders caught napping. They also had a couple of free headers which went high and wide and I don't think this was a one sided contest at all.

As for Danny Rose, on recent showings I don't think he would be first choice on May team sheets even in this division. I think he should get back to trying simple things correctly rather than look for spectacular goals with every touch. Maybe he will improve with a goal but in football you can't live on past achievements.

We had 24 shots, they had 9.

We had 7 shots on target, they had 1.

We had 9 corners, they had 5.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:09 am

Walker silenced recent critics tonight and he could kick in a few more with service, he is a threat at all times. Thought Mellis was truly magnificent and deserved MOM for me but all credit to Walker.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:23 am

I think after a third of the season it's clear to see we are one of the top seven teams in the division along with Lincoln, MK Dons, Forest Green, Bury, Tranmere and Colchester.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:42 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I think after a third of the season it's clear to see we are one of the top seven teams in the division along with Lincoln, MK Dons, Forest Green, Bury, Tranmere and Colchester.

When did Michael Owen join this forum?
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:00 am

Displays like last night show why Mellis nearly made it at Chelsea :lol:

This place is comedy gold, we should have to pay to view the contents :lol:
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:18 am

I'm not suggesting it's intentional, but by saying things like the opposition was "crap" or "rammel" just undermines our win.

We are now in a play off spot, time to look at the positives and not look for negatives.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:30 am

[quote="MTFCMusings"][quote="Sandy Pate Best Stag"][quote="MTFCMusings"][quote="Sandy Pate Best Stag"]Thought Grimsby deserve more credit than some on here are giving them. I expected a big physical side but saw a small nippy outfit who had come to win and not just sit back.

Very pleased with the current state of play and expect us to keep climbing if we can just cement the consistency which is starting to emerge. I do think we need another defender and alternative striker came January as Davies clearly isn't fit and appears to be carrying an injury.[/quote]

Rose missed a sitter but also set up a chance for Walker which he should have scored. He wasn't great but wasn't terrible either.[/quote]

As for Danny Rose, on recent showings I don't think he would be first choice on May team sheets even in this division. I think he should get back to trying simple things correctly rather than look for spectacular goals with every touch. Maybe he will improve with a goal but in football you can't live on past achievements.[/quote]

We had 24 shots, they had 9.

We had 7 shots on target, they had 1.

We had 9 corners, they had 5.[/quote]

Easy to quote Stats but Sandy is right if Grimsby had took their chances n Stags taking there's you could have been looking at a scoreline at half time of 3 3

2nd half different game completely whatever DF said at half time worked as for the Grimsby manager looking at thev2nd half performance he may have said preserve the lead at all costs because after the 50th minute they didn't look like the team that matched n frustrated the Stags
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:49 am

Amber Andy wrote:I'm not suggesting it's intentional, but by saying things like the opposition was "crap" or "rammel" just undermines our win.

We are now in a play off spot, time to look at the positives and not look for negatives.

I tend to agree . Grimsby were not great by any stretch of our imagination but they were not as bad as some folk on here are saying
Besides a few dodgy first half moments , our defence looked solid and we limited their chances . Our midfield was exceptional. Bishop and Mellis were outstanding . Our forwards created problems time after time . On general , we won most of the 50/50 balls . We were first to the loose balls . We nullified most of their attacks , we created so many good opportunities.

Grimsby were not great but a lot of that was down to how we controlled the game .
How on one hand can some say we played a poor team but then throw praise at Bishop and Mellis who according to some were playing against poor players . ?
Talk about double standards .
It's a team game . Some weeks ,some players will shine , others won't . You can see Davies isn't still match fit . We have Khan and McDonald to come back . No matter what some say , Atkinson and Butcher are good players . Rose is a bit off the boil at the moment but we know what he can do . Hopefully Mirfin will get back to his high standards . It's all looking good

If it was left to some of the experts on here ten Walker would of been shipped back weeks ago and Mellis wouldn't even be in the squad
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:02 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:

Macclesfield can't.

I am pleased with the result, just expected it to be more comfortable and comprehensive.

This early season dropped points now looking to be quite significant. If just one of those draws was a win. Oh well can't change that.

Now for the FA cup.

Tbf AWC, I'm sure every team above us is saying the same, especially those with more losses than us. We're 1 win from autos & 8 pts off L2 leader and clear favourites.

It's only November, and to be honest I'm not sure where fans expected us to be right now? When you take into account less than 10 games ago some still wanted DF out, Walker back at Forest, etc then I reckon we've moved mountains to have 3 wins in 5 games.

Still too early to get carried away, but the signs are encouraging
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:03 am

So, we played fairly well and won, but didn't annihilate them.
We missed some good chances, as always, but one of our strikers converted 2 to give himself 5 goals in three games.
The 2 games in hand we had due to International postponements have resulted in 6 points.
We are up to a playoff place in the league.
We are unbeaten in the last 11 games.
We have a manager who is not afraid to change things, has made some shrewd signings, and is not an odious spatchcock.

I am personally absolutely delighted with this, given our league status, performances, etc. over the past 10 years or so. Long may it continue.

Thank you to all the players, staff, management and owners of Mansfield Town for making it enjoyable to be a Stags fan again.

The future's bright. The future's amber (and blue).
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Random Hero » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:24 am

tibby wrote:Displays like last night show why Mellis nearly made it at Chelsea :lol:

I'm assuming you're referring to my post.

Chelsea paid Sheffield United £1 million for Mellis.

He was named in the top 20 'future England stars' by the Guardian in 2010 (https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-re ... dian-2008/)

He was only sacked after a training ground incident. He was obviously highly thought of by their staff and was also highly thought of by their fans. I'd call that nearly making it.

He's been (arguably) MOTM in our last three games. He looks Championship class right now. I'd argue, given the right development and without the off field incidents as a youngster, that he could have made it there too (or higher).

Comedy gold? I just spent a minute looking at your post history. People in glass houses... :lol:
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:38 am

Mellis clearly has ability far beyond the reach of this level, and if it hits it consistently which is a big if, he’ll be picked up by a bigger club.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:57 am

tibby wrote:Displays like last night show why Mellis nearly made it at Chelsea :lol:

All donations gratefully received
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:57 am

Amber Andy wrote:I'm not suggesting it's intentional, but by saying things like the opposition was "crap" or "rammel" just undermines our win.

Why does it? Just because they were crap, and they were, doesn't mean we didn't also play well. We created five easy chances which should have been scored. They created once chance. Would have been even less if Pearce had defended properly.

Anyone arguing Grimsby are not crap, take a little look at their forum, their twitter, any shot data you can find and the league table....
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:58 am

Stoney wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I think after a third of the season it's clear to see we are one of the top seven teams in the division along with Lincoln, MK Dons, Forest Green, Bury, Tranmere and Colchester.

When did Michael Owen join this forum?

Eh? You do know Bury and Forest Green aren't currently in the top 7 right?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:32 am

I don't need to look at forums and stats, I went and watched for myself

They played the ball mainly on the floor, broke in numbers and kept their shape reasonably well. They didn't resort to hoof and will easily survive this year.

Grimsby appear to be a team in transformation and are changing their style of play. That will not happen overnight as we have found out over the past few seasons.

I am not saying they are contenders but they are certainly not crap.

Show some respect to the opposition and realise that teams in this division are reasonably equal and maybe you won't get so upset at some of our own shortcomings.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:37 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I don't need to look at forums and stats, I went and watched for myself

They played the ball mainly on the floor, broke in numbers and kept their shape reasonably well. They didn't resort to hoof and will easily survive this year.

Grimsby appear to be a team in transformation and are changing their style of play. That will not happen overnight as we have found out over the past few seasons.

Show some respect to the opposition and realise that teams in this division are reasonably equal and maybe you won't get so upset at some of our own shortcomings.

If you went to watch you'll know they created one, possibly two chances of note. Football is about making chances and scoring goals, not playing in pretty patterns in midfield. That is Adam Murray stuff. They're the joint second favourites to be relegated for a reason. They've won 3 games all season, and lost the 2nd most....

I'm not upset at all so don't know what you're talking about. It's only a month ago you were agreeing with Norman and wanted rid of Walker.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:42 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I don't need to look at forums and stats, I went and watched for myself

Sorry mate but on ya Sen with this one, even if you visited the Grimsby forum they would be disagreeing - give it a quick look!
Last edited by Conker on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conker
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum