{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tyler Walker

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Tyler Walker

Postby The One » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:07 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:To me Tyler Walker is a number ten, in the Beardsley role more than that of a number nine. Walker is there to bring into play with his movement, touch and positioning the traditional number 9. Though the two we have, Rose and Davies, have not come up with goods so far. Had they been doing so the perception of Tyler Walker to many would be extremely differing. He would be lauded as the ‘man behind the goal machine’.

Tyler came here firstly to continue his football education and develop as a player. Not as the finished article to fire us to promotion. Forest have entrusted us with ‘One of their own’ to expand his football horizons and develop him in a way that could not possibly happen whilst sat on the bench at the city ground.

The pre-season friendlies when we first saw him had some of the most breathtaking football we have seen at Field Mill for many a year in which Tyler more than played his part. Though when the ‘agricultural’ style of football commenced in the league, like all young players he had needed to learn and adapt.

Because he isn’t running himself into the ground, because he isn’t chasing lost causes, because she isn’t thumping his chest isn’t down to a lack of interest or effort it is because he knows where to be and when to be there. But he has had to adapt to life in division 2 where ‘footballers’ are at times a scarcity.

He is our top scorer and a name on the team sheet every game. Long may it continue though I think that the best is yet to come from him.

Its ok typing all that, does he like lime green jelly ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Stephen » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:10 pm

I thought Walker tore County’s defence to bits along side CJ, his pace, movement and clever touches were miles ahead of them, yes his finishing was off but everything else you can see is from a higher level than L2
Stephen
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby geoffhill » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:14 pm

His first touch is excellent.His movement is very good also.He has not scored too many goals so far but he is still our top goalscorer.With a few more goals he could be in the running for pots.Who would you rather have Walker or Rose.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:27 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:And it’s about time he had his own song!

John Radford went to Notts
In his helicopter...
Brought us back a top striker
Super Tyler Walker!

Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:57 am

geoffhill wrote:His first touch is excellent.His movement is very good also.He has not scored too many goals so far but he is still our top goalscorer.With a few more goals he could be in the running for pots.Who would you rather have Walker or Rose.

Although it would have been a more difficult decision earlier in the season, Walker is clearly the better player. Rose has been good in patches, but without his goalscoring knack (will it ever return?) it becomes clear that his support play isn't as good. Walker has a much better talent for reading the game.

Unfortunately he can't score if the ball is at his feet and has time to think, so for now we have to rely on just the occasional goal. That could change though if his coaching is good. You could see his frustration after fluffing a really good chance against Notts when the pass from CJ was too good and gave him a decision to make about whether to have a quick stab at it (and probably get a goal) or control the ball first (thus guaranteeing that the shot would be blocked). He clearly knew that he'd made the wrong decision and should have scored. He needs some scruffy goals - stop thinking about how to get a good shot away and just rely on instinct in front of goal.

Would I prefer another current L2 striker instead? No, I think that with the right sort of training Walker can be the best in the division bar none. Perhaps we could do with a centre-forward type for Walker to work with, as Davies appears to be over the hill.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:27 am

Bradders wrote:
geoffhill wrote:His first touch is excellent.His movement is very good also.He has not scored too many goals so far but he is still our top goalscorer.With a few more goals he could be in the running for pots.Who would you rather have Walker or Rose.

Although it would have been a more difficult decision earlier in the season, Walker is clearly the better player. Rose has been good in patches, but without his goalscoring knack (will it ever return?) it becomes clear that his support play isn't as good. Walker has a much better talent for reading the game.

Unfortunately he can't score if the ball is at his feet and has time to think, so for now we have to rely on just the occasional goal. That could change though if his coaching is good. You could see his frustration after fluffing a really good chance against Notts when the pass from CJ was too good and gave him a decision to make about whether to have a quick stab at it (and probably get a goal) or control the ball first (thus guaranteeing that the shot would be blocked). He clearly knew that he'd made the wrong decision and should have scored. He needs some scruffy goals - stop thinking about how to get a good shot away and just rely on instinct in front of goal.

Would I prefer another current L2 striker instead? No, I think that with the right sort of training Walker can be the best in the division bar none. Perhaps we could do with a centre-forward type for Walker to work with, as Davies appears to be over the hill.

Is that a typo Bradders? CJ's pass was poor, too hard and bouncing, he had to take a touch. CJ should have just rolled it. Made up for Walkers over-hit pass to CJ when he hit the bar.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:55 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Is that a typo Bradders? CJ's pass was poor, too hard and bouncing, he had to take a touch. CJ should have just rolled it. Made up for Walkers over-hit pass to CJ when he hit the bar.

No, after watching again on the video I still think that it was good. Straight in front of his feet - Walker should have had a strike at it on the half volley and sent it in. Not easy I know as you have to watch the ball carefully, but with defenders homing in he had no other option without being blocked off. If CJ had tried to roll the ball it would have been intercepted - he even bent it around the defenders and goalkeeper and the pace took it to Walker (great initial ball from Mellis there, by the way). Strikers have to make what they can of passes, and in the scheme of things that was a good pass even though it was bouncing.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:00 am

Walker is miles ahead of League 2 and if he began scoring say 1 or 2 of the chances per game he would quickly rise to over 30 plus goals in my view in league 2.
He will def go on to play at a much higher level.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Stoney wrote:

In his helicopter...
Super Tyler Walker!

Great song, but I'm going to have to nitpick here. One of my pet peeves is when people say Notts and mean Nottingham. Notts is short for Nottinghamshire. Mansfield is in Notts.

Could change it to,

"John Radford went to Forest
In his helicopter"
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:50 pm

The One wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:To me Tyler Walker is a number ten, in the Beardsley role more than that of a number nine. Walker is there to bring into play with his movement, touch and positioning the traditional number 9. Though the two we have, Rose and Davies, have not come up with goods so far. Had they been doing so the perception of Tyler Walker to many would be extremely differing. He would be lauded as the ‘man behind the goal machine’.

Tyler came here firstly to continue his football education and develop as a player. Not as the finished article to fire us to promotion. Forest have entrusted us with ‘One of their own’ to expand his football horizons and develop him in a way that could not possibly happen whilst sat on the bench at the city ground.

The pre-season friendlies when we first saw him had some of the most breathtaking football we have seen at Field Mill for many a year in which Tyler more than played his part. Though when the ‘agricultural’ style of football commenced in the league, like all young players he had needed to learn and adapt.

Because he isn’t running himself into the ground, because he isn’t chasing lost causes, because she isn’t thumping his chest isn’t down to a lack of interest or effort it is because he knows where to be and when to be there. But he has had to adapt to life in division 2 where ‘footballers’ are at times a scarcity.

He is our top scorer and a name on the team sheet every game. Long may it continue though I think that the best is yet to come from him.

Its ok typing all that, does he like lime green jelly ?

Good point, if he’s a real lad he will!!!
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:06 pm

Tyler Walker walks on water la la la la la, la la la la !
Sung to it's the season to be jolly :P
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Stafford » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:18 am

ParisStag wrote:
Stoney wrote:

In his helicopter...
Super Tyler Walker!

Great song, but I'm going to have to nitpick here. One of my pet peeves is when people say Notts and mean Nottingham. Notts is short for Nottinghamshire. Mansfield is in Notts.

Could change it to,

"John Radford went to Forest
In his helicopter"

The fact that forest fans get irate about being calls Notts Forest makes it even more worthwhile getting it wrong.
First Stags game:

Stags 0 - 0 Exeter City
April 24, 1993
Stafford
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:25 am

tillydog123 wrote:Walker is miles ahead of League 2 and if he began scoring say 1 or 2 of the chances per game he would quickly rise to over 30 plus goals in my view in league 2.
He will def go on to play at a much higher level.

I've seen nothing to suggest he is currently miles ahead of League 2, he's doing fine and clearly has potential, but is not even close to being our player of the season so far which means he clearly isn't miles ahead, unless of course you think the likes of Bishop, CJ, Pearce etc are miles ahead of League 2. Like you, I do think eventually he will play at a higher level, but the reason he is with us is because he is not at that level just yet.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:37 pm

Fair comment Rob but do see something in him which makes him well above the normal slug it out league 2 player.
Take Ollie Palmer he ran about with so much energy and enthusiasm but against Walkers play he looks very pedestrian but may have exaggerated him a bit if honest when I said miles...maybe yards then !!.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:20 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Fair comment Rob but do see something in him which makes him well above the normal slug it out league 2 player.
Take Ollie Palmer he ran about with so much energy and enthusiasm but against Walkers play he looks very pedestrian but may have exaggerated him a bit if honest when I said miles...maybe yards then !!.

We'll go with yards :lol: I hope he reaches his potential, he's clearly a talented lad and of course has a thoroughbred footballer as his Dad which must help.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum