{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Chad mistakes

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Chad mistakes

Postby PEAR CIDER » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:58 pm

Can we have a sticky instead of a new thread each time??

Latest is a corker.

Article on pearce and its a pic of hayden white
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Re: Chad mistakes

Postby Richard Cranium » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:30 pm

Having a good holiday mate?
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:38 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Having a good holiday mate?

Yes just woke up. 8.30 here and no matter where i am in the world there is always time to point out how bad the chad is
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:53 pm

I noticed that.

Also the misspelled NEAL Bishop's name in a headline.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:58 pm

I'm still baffled by these constant and blatant errors. There has to be a story behind it...
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Stockportstag » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:07 pm

The reporting has been awful for years, but It ought to be renamed the CRAP
Stockportstag
First Team
First Team

Postby oldweststander » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:08 pm

Being produced out of town by people who have no local knowledge.

The spelling and grammar mistakes are atrocious, but that doesn't seem to count for much these days.

Incidentally, before you rip my post apart, I ain't no journo.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:17 pm

oldweststander wrote:Being produced out of town by people who have no local knowledge.

The spelling and grammar mistakes are atrocious, but that doesn't seem to count for much these days.

Don't worry ows, neither are they.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:31 pm

Like ows says a lot of it is done by people who aren't local & haven't got a clue. I really feel for John Lomas, he's working with both hands tied behind his back & expected to produce miracles.

Regarding wrong players being featured, that's down to the photographer. All the 'subs' at the paper do is copy & paste the text that the photographer has typed on the photo. So if a photographer submits a photo of Hayden White & says it's Krystian Pearce on the metadata, that is the fault of the tog. Sadly there are quite a few togs out there who don't do their jobs properly & that's why mistakes like this appear. I've seen so many cases of it over the years where they've put a photo of someone with a completely different name on the caption.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:37 pm

I think John Lomas has to do a million jobs at the Chad and its sister publications. I think the staff has been cut to the bare bones.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:39 pm

Dan wrote:Like ows says a lot of it is done by people who aren't local & haven't got a clue. I really feel for John Lomas, he's working with both hands tied behind his back & expected to produce miracles.

Regarding wrong players being featured, that's down to the photographer. All the 'subs' at the paper do is copy & paste the text that the photographer has typed on the photo. So if a photographer submits a photo of Hayden White & says it's Krystian Pearce on the metadata, that is the fault of the tog. Sadly there are quite a few togs out there who don't do their jobs properly & that's why mistakes like this appear. I've seen so many cases of it over the years where they've put a photo of someone with a completely different name on the caption.

I thought someone mentioned it was one of your photos, Dan :lol: :lol: :lol:
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:51 pm

part time pete wrote:
Dan wrote:Like ows says a lot of it is done by people who aren't local & haven't got a clue. I really feel for John Lomas, he's working with both hands tied behind his back & expected to produce miracles.

I thought someone mentioned it was one of your photos, Dan :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: I was waiting for someone to say that ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:06 pm

Must be over a decade since I last bought a Chad or Evening Post...Amazing that they are still around..remember as a kid delivering them, People used to wait at the door for their weekly chad fix...How times change.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby The Source » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:08 pm

Didn't have problems with incorrect metadata when I supplied them :D
I just press the button, You provide the face
The Source
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:23 pm

The Source wrote:

Didn't have problems with incorrect metadata when I supplied them :D

:lol: :lol: Me neither mate ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:14 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Being produced out of town by people who have no local knowledge.

Don't worry ows, neither are they.

They don’t even call themselves journalists (or reporters) at Johnston Press. They are referred to as “Content Gatherers”
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Upper West » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:24 pm

The report from the Tuesday night matches no longer appear in the paper the following day.

I stopped buying it a few years ago but usually go into the library to read it.
Upper West
First Team
First Team

Postby Vicar Jeremiah » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:14 am

The last price raise did me, £1.20 is too much. I only read it to see who has snuffed it, and to see how many Eastern Europeans have been done for drink driving and driving without insurance
Kylie Minogue - God's gift to mankind
Vicar Jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:00 am

The mystery is that these articles are "by John Lomas" and yet contain basic errors. John would surely want to check before publication (or very soon after), even if he didn't actually edit the finished version. It's a bit like a seemingly out-of-focus photo being published on the website which you sent in as a good quality photo, and is now attributed to you.
On the Hayden White photo, the caption says;
Mansfield Town's Krystian Pearce competes for the ball with Tranmere Rovers Luke McCullough: Picture by Steve Flynn/AHPIX.com, Football: Sky Bet League Two match Tranmere Rovers -V- Mansfield Town at Prenton Park, Birkenhead, Merseyside, England copyright picture Howard Roe 07973 739229

...but surely I'd expect some diligence before publication, at least to check that the players' squad numbers match the names reported. It's not exactly difficult to check, and I'm sure that anyone with half a brain realises that photographers aren't necessarily to be relied upon to avoid mistaken identity - particularly when it's a team that they are likely to know little about.
If diligence has gone out of the window in the race for profits, then I'm afraid that the Chad and titles like that deserve everything they're getting...
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:20 am

The owner of the Chad in financial trouble, hopefully all those associated with The Chad will be ok. As well as the other parts of the chain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46243622
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:44 pm

Gone into administration.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:39 pm

They are awful, truly awful. I feel for John.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Althought i cannot stand that chad, the thought of anyone losing their job in troubled times is not nice :(
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:27 pm

Dont even think about the Nottingham Evening Post.......they no longer cover us at all and instead its 4 to 5 pages about Forest and County......I wrote to the Sports Editor and said that the paper is clearly a Nottinghamshore paper as it covers general news throughout so why therefore are they giving us no column space? Im sure you wont be amazed to hear that I didnt geta reply!!
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Chadman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:21 pm

Thanks to those offering best wishes on our future here at the Chad.

For those who don't know, with staff cutbacks and office closures we have just five people left here (and that is discounting illness or holidays) to every week produce 12 local newspapers' sports sections from everywhere from Buxton and Gainsborough to Hucknall and Ripley.

We also have to man 12 web sites pretty much 24/7 between us.

Money has been tight for several years while wrestling with a huge national debt that finally killed our company - Johnston Press - on Friday.

We were in administration for 24 hours but are now part of a newly-formed company owned by our creditors to keep the papers and websites publishing. What the long term plans and aims are is unknown but we are fighting on for now and hoping the light at the end of the tunnel is not the light of an oncoming train.
Chadman
First Team
First Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum