{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

League 2 Agents' Fees: 2017-2018 and 2018-2019

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: League 2 Agents' Fees: 2017-2018 and 2018-2019

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:51 am

Danny Cowley talks about budgets and agents' fees here around 5m 10s. He says the clubs normally pays the agent 5-10% of the deal which can be 5-10% of the player's salary.

https://www.facebook.com/LincolnCityLincolnshireEcho/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:12 pm

There is only one family to blame, if you want to blame anyone, for paying these MTFC fees and that is the Radford's.

Bit unfair. If that's the way the system works no one league two club is going to change it.

Either the player or the club pays the agent. Players will asks for a signing on fee plus an uplift to cover his tax so he/she can pay their agent. Or you pay the agent direct without the uplift.

On top of the signing on fee players will still pay agents for their administration costs - videos etc.

How many of us would get higher wages if we had agents selling our services instead of being well meaning amateurs trying our best every 4/5 years to negotiate with professional recruiters.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby sunray » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:22 pm

There is only one family to blame, if you want to blame anyone, for paying these MTFC fees and that is the Radford's.

Bit unfair. If that's the way the system works no one league two club is going to change it.

Either the player or the club pays the agent. Players will asks for a signing on fee plus an uplift to cover his tax so he/she can pay their agent. Or you pay the agent direct without the uplift.

On top of the signing on fee players will still pay agents for their administration costs - videos etc.

How many of us would get higher wages if we had agents selling our services instead of being well meaning amateurs trying our best every 4/5 years to negotiate with professional recruiters.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:27 pm

sunray wrote:

Nah. I’m not having that :?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:13 am

Agents know the market. They know who is available, what the "going rate" is when it comes to wages etc. Take Danny Rowe, He probably sat down with his agent and told them that he wants league football next season. His agent would then start touting his name around to league clubs that he could be available to them. Remember a club can't "tap up" a player but a players agent can "tap up" a club. The other plus point for the agent is the player is free to get on with his life/football if he has someone talking to clubs on their behalf, then the agent can produce offers to him and he can decide if he wants to go to a certain club, if only to "have a look around". Some players are hands on and want to be involved every step, right up to the other end of the scale where they get their agent to negotiate and close a deal for them and they just turn up to sign a deal.

Just like in life there are many different agents personality wise. Some are in it for the money ans will take a high fee in exchange for getting his player to sign for a specific club even if a better offer is on the table from a different club. Others will get the best deal for his player money wise and could get future work because he does this (on recommendation). Some will go for the best move for the player, not necessarily the best finance but somewhere where he can grow (like if a player joins a team lower down over teams higher up).

Some may think the club can do this themselves but they don't know who is interested is the player they are chasing or what's been offered, that's where agents come in. They will know because they need to drum up interest in their player. Clubs have agents too, although usually they use the same agent as the player if they've had dealings with them before (hence paid twice)

Agents are needed in football. To protect the club and the players.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:22 am

As for our fees for 18/19, They won't include the fees paid for Tomlinson or Turner. But they will include the fees paid for renewing the contracts of CJ, White, Pearce, Benning and MacDonald. Also possibly for the youngsters signing on. Alistair Smith and Jordan Graham.

I'm happy enough that DF has spent less on agent fees, compared to the previous season, and used what he has spent on signing up key players and youngsters on.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:41 pm

I bet we are are near the £3m budget mark this season if it was £2.5m with Evans last season!
Conker
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum