{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Imps scorefred sponsored by welcome to David Flitcroft

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Imps scorefred sponsored by welcome to David Flitcro

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:33 am

Im not the real OND wrote:I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again but McDonald is never a central midfielder. Takes too many risks and seems incapable of keeping possession with simple passes.

I’m not sure a midfield of Macca, Anderson, Hamilton and a young kid were ever going to compete with the physicality of the Lincoln midfield.

king should've never started today imo, byrom or mellis all day. after kings booking he didn't wanna get sent off so went missing.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:21 am

ianb wrote:Awful football, Swindon fans were on the money, HOOF

Hoof my arse. It was no different to how fatty had us playing. Launch it forward for Rose to win the headers
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The One » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:23 am

Grendon Stag wrote:

Hoof my arse. It was no different to how fatty had us playing. Launch it forward for Rose to win the headers

There was only one hoof team on the pitch tonight
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:35 am

The One wrote:
Grendon Stag wrote:

There was only one hoof team on the pitch tonight

The tactics were similar, but it was evident early on that passing was much more productive than the long ball (Lincoln were alright on the few occasions they passed).

It was disappointing this wasn't picked up on and we persavered with aimless long balls which weren't won barely at all.

I maintain had we passed more often we'd have won. A lesson for flitcroft to learn. It's harsh on him but he has to hit the ground running, tonight was a stumble.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:41 am

You could see the instruction play it out from the back only problem with that our defenders need confidence on the ball n only white as that n the front two need to be closer together for options for the midfield to have run with the ball or pass it on..... all will come over the next few weeks...

Where was Miller not even on the bench tonight....
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:51 am

SINA STAG wrote:You could see the instruction play it out from the back only problem with that our defenders need confidence on the ball n only white as that n the front two need to be closer together for options for the midfield to have run with the ball or pass it on..... all will come over the next few weeks...

Where was Miller not even on the bench tonight....

All is not well with Ricky Miller I’ve heard. I don’t think we’ll be seeing much of him.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:13 am

What a ridiculous post .
Did you actually go to the game ?
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:23 am

I thought the 1st half was evenly matched ,but 2nd half we was only team in it and to let palmer score was gutting :mrgreen:

On to Saturday and get back on track and get 3 points ,onwards and upwards
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:40 am

It wasnt a case of Lincoln stopping us playing it was too many of our players under performed . It was a off day . A lot of their fans are saying what a great performance it was by them and Cowley said it's there best away performance of the season . If that's the case , then they are a poor team .

We know what our players can do but unfortunately too many went missing .
I think a few of our fans are being very critical on certain players , especially when the players have been very good all season
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:45 am

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:48 am

If that is Lincoln's best away performance of the season then they have not played much football this season. We played a lot better at Colchester and Swindon which were games we lost.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:13 am

Flicko is talking in the post match as if we got dragged down to their level.

Gutted we couldnt hold on. Still 4 points against an ugly lincoln side this season.

Colchester is a must win.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:57 am

Nail biting and nerve jangling end to the season now I think.
will be happy with play offs which should still be possible but I really worry about the chance of automatic this time and Accrington just don't lose.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:02 am

In my opinion Macca cant play center mid in a 2 when we play against the better teams. He jumps in and commits himself to much and last night he was constantly looking for the 50 yarder.

My concerns from last night was the intensity wasn't there and we struggled to keep the ball and sat back far to early. Also did anyone else notice in the first half every goal kick/long ball we had was aimed at Hemmings? Rose came over and told the manager to play it to him.

Glad to get the 1st game out the way, need a win on Sat now.
lifestags
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:56 am

Having slept on it, I think we were actually lucky to get a point in the context of the game, despite the late goal for them.

Poor across the board, few chances, constantly lost the ball, little closing down.

I hope that's more down to a bad day at the office than anyhing flitcrofts told them!

Not the end of the world as Lincoln looked OK, bu we've got to win on Saturday
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:09 pm

Vice President wrote:I couldn't help thinking that the moment we put Spencer on.....we were just hanging on

This was also normally the case under Steve Evans. Whenever he he took off our strikers and brought on Jimmy Spencer or Omari then you knew we were just trying to hang on to what we had for the rest of the game starting off with the first three games of the season Crewe (away), Forest Green Rovers (home) and Accrington (away).
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:25 pm

Im worried after last night.

For most of the game we looked like a team that had just met each other. The only thing flipflop had to do was tell em to go and play exactly how they've been playing for the last 3 months.

I didn't like the body language at the pitch-side interactions between players and management either.

I suppose Lincoln are a good side. With a couple of decent additions up top they'll be a force in this division next season.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:48 pm

Lincoln are very effective at what they do. It's a direct style of football that has worked for other teams in the past and which was used by Steve Evans at times. Gareth Ainsworth also uses it at Wycombe when Akinfenwa is playing up front.

It's interesting that we lost the midfield battle in the 2nd half as Lincoln's midfield has not been playing well and they have been struggling to create chances. They did not create many chances last night. They decided to change their formation to a 4-3-3/4-5-1 to try and find a system that suits Alex Woodyard, Michael Bostwick and Lee Frecklington playing together. Bostwick has been dropping back to play centre half and some people think that is his best position. It did not particularly work that well last night as Frecklington did not have a good game and was subbed in the second half when Danny Cowley brought on two of his many wide players, Danny Rowe and Harry Anderson, with a view to pumping more balls into the box in the general direction of the excellent Matt Rhead.

It's interesting that some fans think our midfield were not strong enough to stand up to the physical battle bearing in mind that Crewe played Lincoln off the park at Sincil Bank on Saturday and Crewe's midfield players are a fairly small bunch. I think our midfield just had a bit of an off night last night which was not helped by King being booked early on and Alex MacDonald having his least effective game of the season. CJ Hamilton had his moments in the first half but he was generally marked very well by Neal Eardley who had an excellent game and who has been one of Lincoln's best players this season. It's amazing that Port Vale did not offer him a contract when he was on trial with them at the start of the season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:22 pm

I think we seem to run out of gas a little against the top teams. We have managed to draw from a winning position at home to Luton, Exeter, Coventry and Lincoln. 4 of those 5 goals came in the 85th minute or later. When you add that we conceded a last minute winner at Accrington, and an 85th minute equaliser at Barnet. Of course we have also scored a few late goals also, but against the top teams at home that stat it concerning if we are to make the play-offs.

The only teams in the top half we have beaten at home are County and Carlisle, with Colchester to come on Saturday and Crawley still to play.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:33 pm

Good point MTFC Musings.

On the other hand, I thought at the start of the season our automatic promotion chances might suffer if we dropped too many points due to defeats or draws against the (fairly) local rivals but so far we have taken four out of six points from Grimsby Town, Coventry City and Lincoln City. We already have three points in the bag from Notts County. I'm hoping Chesterfield is not going to be the exception to the rule. :shock:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:34 pm

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:00 pm

4 points off a promotion rival is good going..3 points on sat to cement ourselves in the top pack and another 3 points off the coffin dodgers will have us breathing down the necks of luton and accy.
steiner
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ianb » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:14 pm

tmwilson wrote:What a ridiculous post .

Yes, I did go to the game.

The longer the game went on, the more it was punted long to Rose.

The gap between midfield and attack got bigger and bigger.

The goalkicks were a good 20 yards longer, hoof, chase that.

It felt like we'd gone back two years...
ianb
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:26 pm

ianb wrote:

did you go to the Coventry game? our goal came from a long goal kick.

flicker will have a good few days to get on the training ground and try and sort these problems out hopefully
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:32 pm

ianb wrote:

Some of what you state is true. Lincoln had our measure and they were, more often than not, in control of the midfield. They were always on the ‘second ball’ and Rhead had an excellent game.
I thought King was out of his depth and Flitcroft was right to remove him at half time.

Hamilton looked frightened of his boots and he became completely anonymous in the second half and he should have been removed.

Spencer needs to consider a different career, based on what we’ve seen from him since his arrival. He was completed ineffective when he came on. I would have preferred to see Diamond get a run.

Hemmings seemed to work hard, but his influence was negligible. Rose seemed to be knackered by the middle of the second half.

Logan seems to have fallen in love with punching! Your criticism of “hoofing long balls” is correct. Certainly in the last 20 minutes we just defended too deep and were always under pressure to ‘get rid’.

Much of the stylish midfield play witnessed in recent weeks was conspicuously absent.

We have no grounds for complaint at getting just one point. That’s just about right IMO.

We’re still in a great position - we just need to play better than last night.
I was Kaiser Bill’s Batman
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum